Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547648 times)

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #6700 on: August 17, 2020, 05:45:14 pm »

Forum sifts from hand, Statue untriggered aka Borderguard+Lantern sifts from deck.
Yes, the difference is that Forum has more cards to choose from for discarding, but it costs $5.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1424
    • View Profile
« Reply #6701 on: August 17, 2020, 05:56:49 pm »

Forum is the best 5 out of 7. Borderguard+Lantern is 4 plus the best 1 out of 3.

Apart from the fact that we usually categorize these cards as sifters, they have little in common. For example Advisor plus a handsifter like Forum is a combo whereas Advisor plus a decksifter like Borderguard have no synergy at all.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6702 on: August 17, 2020, 06:54:26 pm »

Forum sifts from hand, Statue untriggered aka Borderguard+Lantern sifts from deck.

Forum sifts from hand AND deck; since you draw first. Which is why Forum is much better.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6703 on: August 17, 2020, 07:30:22 pm »
+1

Forum sifts from hand AND deck; since you draw first. Which is why Forum is much better.
Decksifters like Borderguard also draw. That is why it makes little sense to say that a handsifter is a decksifter. All sifters draw, the question is rather where they can DISCARD from, deck or hand.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #6704 on: August 18, 2020, 09:45:19 am »

24 hr

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #6705 on: August 18, 2020, 09:51:12 am »
+1

Cull - Action - $4
Choose to reveal any number of cards from your deck. If they are all uniquely named, put them in your hand. If they are not, discard them all.
-
When you gain this, you may trash your hand.
Neat, but probably broken with Patron/Tunnel.

Good eye! I am wondering whether this is worth designing around. Golem (just for tunnel) and rebuild also allow “broken” combos with on discard cards. Granted, cull is cheaper than both cards, though it is terminal (comparing it to rebuild). I feel that it’s fine to allow this combo, but could be designed around “if they are not, put them in your discard pile.”

What do you (or anyone else) think?

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6706 on: August 18, 2020, 09:58:04 am »
+2

Tunnel is probably OK. For example 2 Tunnels plus Cull makes Cull a DoubleGoldGainer. Yeah, that is nice but unlikely to broken or anything.
Patron is potentially more problematic but I seriously doubt that this combo would be crazier than Hunting Party / Patron. Hunting Party always does something very useful whereas Cull is a stop card that yields some Coffers.

Hard to say without actual playtesting but I would not change the card because of two combos (that don't seem wacky at first glance to me).

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #6707 on: August 18, 2020, 11:41:59 am »

Usurer
$6 Action
Choose one: +1 Buy; or take any number of Coffers up to 5, and at the start of your buy phase, spend all of your coffers, and for each $1 you have unspent at the end of your turn, take 1 debt.

Just something off the top of my head to get me back in the game. Back when I joined the forum this was still on its second contest, I had no idea it would go this long.

Edit: changed wording and cost.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 01:09:35 pm by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6708 on: August 18, 2020, 12:51:02 pm »

Ignoring that the card is obviously too good, there is no reason to use Coffers instead of Coins (Black Market is the only thing I see now which would make a mechanical difference) if you are forced to spend them. Thus the only thing this achieves is to make tracking easier.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #6709 on: August 18, 2020, 01:09:00 pm »

Ignoring that the card is obviously too good, there is no reason to use Coffers instead of Coins (Black Market is the only thing I see now which would make a mechanical difference) if you are forced to spend them. Thus the only thing this achieves is to make tracking easier.
I'd like to avoid the interactions with Storyteller, and I think the wording is slightly better.
As far as the strength, it's just a shot in the dark. How about at $6?

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6710 on: August 18, 2020, 01:13:01 pm »

No idea, Death Cart, Animal Fair and Harvest are the only three terminals that come to mind which yield more than 3 Coins. They are of little help for determining a price though. I am fairly certain though that it cannot cost less than $5.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #6711 on: August 18, 2020, 01:14:54 pm »
+2

Usurer
$6 Action
Choose one: +1 Buy; or take any number of Coffers up to 5, and at the start of your buy phase, spend all of your coffers, and for each $1 you have unspent at the end of your turn, take 1 debt.

Just something off the top of my head to get me back in the game. Back when I joined the forum this was still on its second contest, I had no idea it would go this long.

This feels like the "any number" wording is forced. Why doesn't this card just say "up to 5 coffers"? I know that would disqualify it from this contest, but the wording is still awkward.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #6712 on: August 18, 2020, 01:34:30 pm »

Usurer
$6 Action

This feels like the "any number" wording is forced. Why doesn't this card just say "up to 5 coffers"? I know that would disqualify it from this contest, but the wording is still awkward.
I kind of forgot about that, originally I had a slightly different concept that had no limit, but it seemed a bit nuts. It probably doesn't count.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #6713 on: August 18, 2020, 01:36:42 pm »
+1

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this old RBCI card:

Attic
$2 Action
+1 Action
Draw any number of cards, then discard that many.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #6714 on: August 18, 2020, 01:37:59 pm »
+2

This is a revised version of a card I entered in a past contest:

Consignor - Action - $4

Take any number of @.

Exile a non-Victory card from the Supply costing $1 per @1 you took.

You may play a cheaper Action or Treasure card from your Exile mat.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #6715 on: August 18, 2020, 01:46:21 pm »
+1

Abbey
$5 Action
Choose one: +2 Villagers; or you may spend any number of Villagers to trash that many cards from your hand.

Quick new submission, how about this?

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #6716 on: August 18, 2020, 02:10:52 pm »

Abbey
$5 Action
Choose one: +2 Villagers; or you may spend any number of Villagers to trash that many cards from your hand.

This could cost less.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #6717 on: August 18, 2020, 02:17:08 pm »

Abbey
$5 Action

This could cost less.
I don't know; I feel like it might compare too favorable to Hideout at $4.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6718 on: August 18, 2020, 02:58:11 pm »

Abbey
$5 Action

This could cost less.
Looks like a fairly undesirable $2 to me. It is either a Villager-Necro or it is a terminal that trashes one card from your hand (actually it is slightly worse as you cannot trash anything after the first shuffle).
Hoarding the Villagers to trash later increases the efficiency of the card but is bad tempo-wise (you wanna trash now). Late-game junking situations in which this would shine, like e.g. Coven, are rare.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #6719 on: August 18, 2020, 03:39:54 pm »

Yeah I think I'm looking at it from the wrong perspective. I'll think about for a bit more.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6720 on: August 18, 2020, 05:54:35 pm »

Abbey
$5 Action

This could cost less.
Looks like a fairly undesirable $2 to me. It is either a Villager-Necro or it is a terminal that trashes one card from your hand (actually it is slightly worse as you cannot trash anything after the first shuffle).
Hoarding the Villagers to trash later increases the efficiency of the card but is bad tempo-wise (you wanna trash now). Late-game junking situations in which this would shine, like e.g. Coven, are rare.

Why would it trash only one card from your hand? That's true if you spend a single villager; but you can spend more than 1 villager. Actually it's worse than a "terminal" from an actions perspective because you have to spend villagers, which makes it basically take up more than the 1 action that it costs to play a terminal.

Also what do you mean by "you cannot trash anything after the first shuffle"?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6721 on: August 18, 2020, 06:10:06 pm »
+1

First time you play this, you take the Villagers. That is after the first shuffle.
Second time you play this, you use the Villagers to trash two cards. That is after the second shuffle.
The whole thing is nearly equivalent to playing on average a terminal that trashes one card, except that it is slightly worse as you could not trash during T3-T5.

This sucks. Of course you might use the card if there is no other splitter or trasher but it is pretty bad at either job.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 06:13:20 pm by segura »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #6722 on: August 18, 2020, 06:47:24 pm »

One last shot:

Cleric
$4 Action
+2 Coffers
You may trash a card from your hand, then you may spend any number of coffers to trash that many cards from your hand.

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #6723 on: August 18, 2020, 07:14:30 pm »

I realised my old submission didn't need to say any number, so here's a new one: (sorry pubby)

A scullion was the guy who swept and cleaned the kitchen.
Edit: whoops scullian should be duration. Sorry
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #6724 on: August 18, 2020, 08:27:49 pm »

I am so terribly sorry to post this so late, but I was still not satisfied with my entry, so I narrowed it to this:

Now, regardless if there still are some small hiccups with Wager V3, I'll leave it as is.
Bottom text
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.