Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1556959 times)

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +738
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #5900 on: June 04, 2020, 02:34:37 pm »

Oooooh this is capital, I think I get it now.

I think this can easily get away with +1 Action as it doesn't seem too good, and it's fairly hard to use the discard from exile in a meaningful way. Could prove to be really good with anything that can gain Provinces but it locks you into always having debt.

Hmm, good point re: Capital, maybe this kind of already exists. Which maybe makes the version that plays the card more interesting?

Take any number of @. Exile a non-Victory card from the Supply costing $1 per @1 you took. Play a cheaper non-Victory card from your Exile mat.
how do i play a curse

Right, I added non-Victory, but should have made it Action or Treasure. (I'd like it to be able to play spoils, or if you're in need enough, play a Copper, though then it would be unexiled).

So, now we have:

At the very least, it expands on Capital in an interesting (I hope) way.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 02:41:10 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +384
    • View Profile
« Reply #5901 on: June 04, 2020, 03:34:29 pm »
+3

Way of the Magpie by grep
An interesting early game option to build up coin and hit price points. It lets you buy villages and the like earlier tan you need them for a benefit. However, it feels a bit weak. It's definitely on the slow side, especially next to Way of the Sheep, which serves a similar purpose. I'm not sure the discard is needed, but testing would be required
Horse Market by [TP] Inferno
This is much too strong. The on-play effect is strong as-is, and the horse overpay is often very relevant especially on boards where draw is lower, since it's basically a better version of Hostelry's effect. I'd suggest bumping it to 4 or removing the conditional village.
Racetrack by mandioca15
Keeping or playing your horses offers some theoretically interesting strategy, but this is rendered moot by how easily the horses are to regain. With how semi-boundless the victory points can be, it's likely to quickly take over games.
Saddler/Bridle by Aquila
Saddler is often a functional cantrip, so it's going to get bought most of the time. It might be a bit strong, since it can quite often be a lab or better. Bridle is too weak/inflexible to get bought without other horse gainers, especially since you usually want Saddler for draw instead of Horses. It's hard to say how appealing it will be.
Spurs by mail-mi
The card this resembles most closely is Livery. This trades the coin for being non-terminal and gaining more horses. It's a quite interesting source of raw in some decks without being too strong.
Way of the Alligator by segura
A stronger than usual Way with a Hex as a downside. It's very interesting, especially early on. However, it has an almost fatal problem with variance. Sometimes you get Plague, which can be deadly to your deck, or Delusion, slowing you down majorly, but sometimes you get something ineffective like Famine.
Secret Land by maji-poni
Distinctly under-powered for a prize. It's slow to gain a meaningful amount of VP and depleting the Duchy pile is sometimes a downside, especially when you're behind, which is when this is theoretically strongest.
Recession by MrHiTech
A terminal gold at 4 with a slight upside is a tad strong. The attack might have odd timing issues.
Way of the Kingfisher by fragasnap
This is an interesting option as a Way. A throne room, but only every other time. The issue is that it may interact poorly with other journey token cards, removing their slowness and making them basically always work.
Zombie Workshop by Carline
A unique Horn of Plenty/Necromancer combo, although not as strong as either. The alt cost plays quite well with the on-play. I worry that the alt cost isn't worth using since it's already quite cheap.
Zoo by Blue Haired Meercat
It's quite disconnected from whether or not you're going to use Ways. If the Way is good, it will get used, and if it isn't it won't. The points are slow and minimal.
Aonbarr by spineflu
This is a notable card partially on the basis that it actually makes a double potion cost work, something that fan cards have failed to do for years. A big Masquerade is strong enough to build towards, and you can use it as a one-shot triple lab, which is often quite useful if it can be gained back.
Mule/Breeder by Lord Baphomet
Breeder seems strong for how easy it is to gain, especially since any other horse gainer drains the mule pile. Mule's reaction simply has strange timing. It might be more interesting if it was akin to Duchess, where it was at any point, not just when you have one in hand. Quite interesting conceptually, but there's too much going on here.
Barn by Marpharos
Presents interesting strategy. Do you want to buy it early? How early? Do you want to green earlier because of it? Well done, although maybe too strong with action vp.
The Meadow’s Gift/ Rivalry- X-tra
The Meadow's Gift got changed, but it seems a bit undertuned to the point it's almost strictly worse than the river's and the sea's gifts. Rivalry is odd too since a hex that helps everyone else is poor. It's unclear how this would work with moat and is very potent in games with three or more players, since it gives tons of horses.
Evacuate by alion8me
This should definitely have the +1 buy as a once per turn. Not only is gaining 30 horses and 10 ruins not unappealing, draining a pile is strong. It is quite compelling otherwise.
Consignor by scolapasta
I caught this update right before I started judging, so it will be included. As-is, it's quite weak. However, the suggested change is compelling and makes it much more information.
HONORABLE MENTIONS
Zombie Workshop
Aonbarr
Evacuate
WINNER
Spurs by mail-mi

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #5902 on: June 04, 2020, 03:52:15 pm »
+1

Hey, thanks for the win!

CHALLENGE #76: All That Glitters

Every expansion has one, and now it's our turn. Design a Gold-gainer. The card may gain a Gold unconditionally (like Bandit), conditionally (like Explorer), or optionally (like Courtier), but it must be able to gain Gold specifically. Abilities like "gain a card costing up to $6," "gain a Treasure," or "Exile a Gold from the supply" would not qualify.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #5903 on: June 04, 2020, 05:20:28 pm »

Hey, thanks for the win!

Every expansion has one, and now it's our turn. Design a Gold-gainer. The card may gain a Gold unconditionally (like Bandit), conditionally (like Explorer), or optionally (like Courtier), but it must be able to gain Gold specifically. Abilities like "gain a card costing up to $6," "gain a Treasure," or "Exile a Gold from the supply" would not qualify.

My entry:

Hoarder
$6
Action
Trash a card from your hand. For each $2 it costs (round down), choose one: +1 Card, +1 Action; +2 Cards; gain a Gold.

Edit: It was too strong at $5. Now it costs $6.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 07:49:35 pm by [TP] Inferno »
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #5904 on: June 04, 2020, 07:21:58 pm »

A unique Horn of Plenty/Necromancer combo, although not as strong as either. The alt cost plays quite well with the on-play. I worry that the alt cost isn't worth using since it's already quite cheap.

Thanks for comments and honorable mention. The alt cost is intended more to make it faster to be a better gainer than to save money. It's similar to play it once when buy.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #5905 on: June 04, 2020, 07:28:20 pm »

Hey, thanks for the win!

My entry:

Hoarder
$5
Action
Trash a card from your hand. For each $2 it costs (round down), choose one: +1 Card, +1 Action; +2 Cards; gain a Gold.

Let me know if I need to bump it up to $6.

I think Hoarder is almost strictly better than Transmute.  You can gain Gold on turn 3 or 4, no extra card-gains like Dismantle, no gaining useless card when trashing Copper.  Gaining Duchy is usually unused or once, so it doesn't matter the strength so much.

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #5906 on: June 04, 2020, 07:48:29 pm »

Hey, thanks for the win!

My entry:

Hoarder
$5
Action

Let me know if I need to bump it up to $6.

I think Hoarder is almost strictly better than Transmute.  You can gain Gold on turn 3 or 4, no extra card-gains like Dismantle, no gaining useless card when trashing Copper.  Gaining Duchy is usually unused or once, so it doesn't matter the strength so much.
Thanks for the feedback. To solve this problem, I might make it cost $6, then it isn't able to be opened with, but also has more value in trashing itself. If it is still too strong, let me know and I can add a Copper onto the Gold gain or something.
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5907 on: June 04, 2020, 08:32:17 pm »

An interesting early game option to build up coin and hit price points. It lets you buy villages and the like earlier tan you need them for a benefit. However, it feels a bit weak. It's definitely on the slow side, especially next to Way of the Sheep, which serves a similar purpose. I'm not sure the discard is needed, but testing would be required
This is much too strong. The on-play effect is strong as-is, and the horse overpay is often very relevant especially on boards where draw is lower, since it's basically a better version of Hostelry's effect. I'd suggest bumping it to 4 or removing the conditional village.
Racetrack by mandioca15
Keeping or playing your horses offers some theoretically interesting strategy, but this is rendered moot by how easily the horses are to regain. With how semi-boundless the victory points can be, it's likely to quickly take over games.
Saddler/Bridle by Aquila
Saddler is often a functional cantrip, so it's going to get bought most of the time. It might be a bit strong, since it can quite often be a lab or better. Bridle is too weak/inflexible to get bought without other horse gainers, especially since you usually want Saddler for draw instead of Horses. It's hard to say how appealing it will be.
Spurs by mail-mi
The card this resembles most closely is Livery. This trades the coin for being non-terminal and gaining more horses. It's a quite interesting source of raw in some decks without being too strong.
A stronger than usual Way with a Hex as a downside. It's very interesting, especially early on. However, it has an almost fatal problem with variance. Sometimes you get Plague, which can be deadly to your deck, or Delusion, slowing you down majorly, but sometimes you get something ineffective like Famine.
Secret Land by maji-poni
Distinctly under-powered for a prize. It's slow to gain a meaningful amount of VP and depleting the Duchy pile is sometimes a downside, especially when you're behind, which is when this is theoretically strongest.
Recession by MrHiTech
A terminal gold at 4 with a slight upside is a tad strong. The attack might have odd timing issues.
This is an interesting option as a Way. A throne room, but only every other time. The issue is that it may interact poorly with other journey token cards, removing their slowness and making them basically always work.
It's quite disconnected from whether or not you're going to use Ways. If the Way is good, it will get used, and if it isn't it won't. The points are slow and minimal.
Aonbarr by spineflu
This is a notable card partially on the basis that it actually makes a double potion cost work, something that fan cards have failed to do for years. A big Masquerade is strong enough to build towards, and you can use it as a one-shot triple lab, which is often quite useful if it can be gained back.
Breeder seems strong for how easy it is to gain, especially since any other horse gainer drains the mule pile. Mule's reaction simply has strange timing. It might be more interesting if it was akin to Duchess, where it was at any point, not just when you have one in hand. Quite interesting conceptually, but there's too much going on here.
Barn by Marpharos
Presents interesting strategy. Do you want to buy it early? How early? Do you want to green earlier because of it? Well done, although maybe too strong with action vp.
The Meadow's Gift got changed, but it seems a bit undertuned to the point it's almost strictly worse than the river's and the sea's gifts. Rivalry is odd too since a hex that helps everyone else is poor. It's unclear how this would work with moat and is very potent in games with three or more players, since it gives tons of horses.
Evacuate by alion8me
This should definitely have the +1 buy as a once per turn. Not only is gaining 30 horses and 10 ruins not unappealing, draining a pile is strong. It is quite compelling otherwise.
Consignor by scolapasta
I caught this update right before I started judging, so it will be included. As-is, it's quite weak. However, the suggested change is compelling and makes it much more information.
HONORABLE MENTIONS
Zombie Workshop
Aonbarr
Evacuate
WINNER
Spurs by mail-mi

There's no comment about General by Something_Smart.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +384
    • View Profile
« Reply #5908 on: June 04, 2020, 08:45:01 pm »

Racetrack by mandioca15
Saddler/Bridle by Aquila
Spurs by mail-mi
Secret Land by maji-poni
Recession by MrHiTech
Aonbarr by spineflu
Barn by Marpharos
Evacuate by alion8me
Consignor by scolapasta
HONORABLE MENTIONS
Zombie Workshop
Aonbarr
Evacuate
WINNER
Spurs by mail-mi

There's no comment about General by Something_Smart.
My bad! It's a shame, because it was a pretty good card, definitely honorable mention-worthy, although Spurs still takes it.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1352
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5909 on: June 04, 2020, 09:49:18 pm »

Aonbarr by spineflu
This is a notable card partially on the basis that it actually makes a double potion cost work, something that fan cards have failed to do for years.
ayyyy i completed the sidequest literally no-one asked me to do! nice!

Congrats mail-mi!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 09:31:45 am by spineflu »

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5910 on: June 05, 2020, 01:46:40 am »
+4

My entry (edited in 06/06/2020 for better wording):

RAISER • • Night
If you have more Action cards in play than Treasure cards, +2 Villagers.
If don't, gain a Gold.

Treasure gainers are not always good. Many times they are skippable if you are playing an engine.

So, I tried to make a card which would be good whatever strategy you are playing. If you are playing some kind of BM with none or few action support, you probably have more Treasures in play than Actions (or equal), then you gain a Gold. If you are playing an action based strategy, you gain two Villagers to help with the reliability of your deck. Maybe while you are building your engine and your deck is not yet too action dense you would want to gain a Gold to boost your payload. After that, you go for Villagers. This way, this card would be interesting during all game, which doesn’t happen with many of treasure gainers.

Raiser gives you more of what you have and want to raise: money or working hands for actions.

It’s non-terminal, so it’s strong. On the other hand, it’s a stop card that doesn’t draw, so you have to be careful to not overspam it through your deck. That said, it seems to me to be fine at .

Feedbacks are always welcome!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 08:22:40 pm by Carline »

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #5911 on: June 05, 2020, 05:27:15 am »

Bounty - Event, $5 cost.
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $2 more than it. If there's no other copy of it in the trash, gain a Gold.
-
Setup: trash a Copper and an Estate from the Supply.

It can make races to trash unusual cards, but are those races fun? Or will they be too random?
And you can of course Bounty the Golds into Provinces. The first to do this, putting the first Gold into the trash, essentially gets a Province for $5.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5912 on: June 05, 2020, 07:49:54 am »

Hey, thanks for the win!

would Swashbuckler qualify for this

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #5913 on: June 05, 2020, 09:00:49 am »
+1

Hey, thanks for the win!

Additionally, if Swashbuckler does qualify would a card that gives you the treasure chest count towards the challenge?
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5914 on: June 05, 2020, 10:16:30 am »
+1

Hey, thanks for the win!

Additionally, if Swashbuckler does qualify would a card that gives you the treasure chest count towards the challenge?

Hm. I think I'll say yes on both counts.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10764
    • View Profile
« Reply #5915 on: June 05, 2020, 11:36:21 am »

Every expansion has one, and now it's our turn. Design a Gold-gainer.

Wow, I never would have guessed that every expansion has one, but you are indeed correct! I wonder if this was intentional by Donald. Looking through all cards for "gain a Gold", there are actually 22 card-shaped things that say "gain a Gold" on them. Original Dominion didn't have one; in fact Explorer in Seaside was the first. But both Base and Intrigue got one with the second edition updates.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5916 on: June 05, 2020, 11:45:17 am »

Every expansion has one, and now it's our turn. Design a Gold-gainer.

Wow, I never would have guessed that every expansion has one, but you are indeed correct! I wonder if this was intentional by Donald. Looking through all cards for "gain a Gold", there are actually 22 card-shaped things that say "gain a Gold" on them. Original Dominion didn't have one; in fact Explorer in Seaside was the first. But both Base and Intrigue got one with the second edition updates.

I think in the secret history for the Second editions, he says every expansion until then has one? Not sure about it now though...

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #5917 on: June 05, 2020, 11:54:46 am »
+1

Split pile sow/reap

Hail Satan, hail yourself!

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1433
    • View Profile
« Reply #5918 on: June 05, 2020, 12:03:38 pm »

Compared to other Peddlers and sifters, Sow is incredibly weak. Reap is too cheap. Not only because of strength issues (dude, it is stronger than Gold while one of its point is gaining Golds; that is anything but coherent) which is not that relevant in a split pile but because Workshop variants make the Buy restriction pointless.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 12:15:59 pm by segura »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5919 on: June 05, 2020, 12:24:35 pm »
+1

EDIT: Modified downthread

Goblin • $4 • Action
You may trash a Treasure from your hand to gain a Gold.
You may trash a Gold from your hand to choose one: +4 Cards; or +2 Actions.

Pooka + Moneylender + Nobles variant that's worse than either, i think. I feel like i'm forgetting something. It's +4 cards because you're down a card bc the gold.
I think $4 is the right price for this so that a $5/$2 opening doesn't just utterly wreck shop on cleaning out Coppers.

(small edit to add "from your hand" to the gold-trashing clause)
Thematically kind of a Rumplestiltzkin thing (and I already had art for "Goblin" made)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 07:46:11 pm by spineflu »

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1112
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #5920 on: June 05, 2020, 12:36:28 pm »
+2

The + clause didn't used to be there. Felt like it was incredibly slow for a card. But now, it might compare too favourably to Explorer with that extra +. Thinking about dropping that.

Barman thus works 2 times out of 3. Explorer might work every time, but that's locked behind a condition. Eh. Gold gainers are usually weak imo.

(By the way, I used that picture before back when I was first making custom Dominion cards and I was lacking experience. Nice call-back  :) .)
Bottom text

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +422
    • View Profile
« Reply #5921 on: June 05, 2020, 01:38:22 pm »
+3

« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 01:39:25 pm by grrgrrgrr »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10764
    • View Profile
« Reply #5922 on: June 05, 2020, 02:10:45 pm »

Goblin • $4 • Action

Pooka + Moneylender + Nobles variant that's worse than either, i think. I feel like i'm forgetting something. It's +4 cards because you're down a card bc the gold.
I think $4 is the right price for this so that a $5/$2 opening doesn't just utterly wreck shop on cleaning out Coppers.

Thematically kind of a Rumplestiltzkin thing (and I already had art for "Goblin" made)

Doesn't this need to be compared to Mine? It seems way better than Mine, and for a cheaper cost.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +738
    • View Profile
« Reply #5923 on: June 05, 2020, 02:12:18 pm »
+1

A gold gaining Project - Bursary:

Bursary - Project - $6
At the start of your turn, you may trash a Silver from your hand to gain a Gold.

So rather than use a $6 to buy a Gold, why not a Bursary, that will let you invest (trash) you Silvers, for greater future returns (Gold)?

When not drawing your deck, it effectively makes Golds cost $5, $3 for the Silver, then $2 for the opportunity cost of trashing the silver. Though once you can draw your deck and draw the newly acquired Gold, that formula changes.

And it clearly combos with Silver gainers.

If it needs a buff, I could have it gain the gold to your hand?

Note: A bursary is "the treasury of an institution, especially a religious one.", so I like that I managed to get the religious mechanic of trashing here.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 02:22:22 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1433
    • View Profile
« Reply #5924 on: June 05, 2020, 02:13:37 pm »
+1

Goblin • $4 • Action

Doesn't this need to be compared to Mine? It seems way better than Mine, and for a cheaper cost.
Hardly given that Mine produces at least 2 more Coins on play.
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 20 queries.