Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1541925 times)

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1413
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #5850 on: May 29, 2020, 04:39:18 pm »

I think it is fine as it is but I would delete the PP thing. You would never ever go for PP just to get this cheaper precisely because it is not cheaper.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +441
    • View Profile
« Reply #5851 on: May 29, 2020, 05:06:48 pm »

Racetrack (Landmark)

When scoring, +1VP per Horse in your deck.
---
Setup: Add an extra Kingdom card pile to the Supply. That pile must be capable of gaining Horses.
"In your deck" sounds weird: does it mean that the Horses in hand, in discard, and in other locations like exile and mats don't count? Should be simply "you have".

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #5852 on: May 29, 2020, 05:15:45 pm »

Racetrack (Landmark)

When scoring, +1VP per Horse in your deck.
---
Setup: Add an extra Kingdom card pile to the Supply. That pile must be capable of gaining Horses.
"In your deck" sounds weird: does it mean that the Horses in hand, in discard, and in other locations like exile and mats don't count? Should be simply "you have".

Yes, “you have” is what I mean. I thought the other “when scoring” Landmarks used that wording, but I misremembered.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #5853 on: May 29, 2020, 06:49:47 pm »
+1

This may be crazy:
Way of the Hedgehog
Choose one: put this on your Tavern mat and +1 Action; or play a non-Reserve Action on your Tavern mat (which can't follow a Way), and if you did return this to your hand.

Your Actions can hibernate in the Tavern until their optimal time, and you only need to have an Action in hand to call them off (only not 'call' them). They're literally put in reserve, so the Tavern mat is the one to use for this effect over Exile, cleanly avoiding all the Exile interactions. Reserve combos, I think it's just Distant Lands and Teacher, and I'll let those slip by.

+1 Action on the move to the mat, or no +1 Action? That is my current question. It's not clever too often to terminally put an Action in reserve, but trashers you're done with, Ruins, terminal draw at a bad time... Adventures tokens working twice too, on the reserving and the call off (the Way use limitation is there to stop infinite Hedgehog-ing for infinite token boosts).
Overall the cases for keeping it there are strong enough, and these mentioned combos are safe in the light of some mousey and chameleonic combos we already have.

Hey Aquila, my english is not so good, so please help me to understand: when you say "which can't follow a way", do you mean "the card can't be played as a way" or "the card can't be played right after a card played as a way"?
The first one, the card can't be played using a Way if you play it from the Tavern mat. It seemed the most natural and clean wording to use; you follow a path, you follow the way.

Still, Faust brought out what I needed to see about this, it is crazy in that it does too much, you do indeed use it in any kind of engine to make shuffle luck much less of a thing. Way of the Turtle covers just the interesting field. This may be made to work as a kingdom card for reduced accessibility, but not as a Way.

So a new entry:
Saddler/Bridle - Action type split pile, 5 Saddlers on top of 5 Bridles.

Saddler - Action, $3 cost.
+1 Action
Choose one: gain a Horse; or draw until you have 5 cards in hand.

Bridle - Treasure, $5 cost.
$2
When you play this, you may play a Horse from your hand. If you do, return to your Action phase.
Inspired by Watno's Wages/Day Labourer from contest #9, which I regret underrating. I worry a little bit that there's swinginess in lining Bridles and Horses up, especially if you have several Treasures in deck to play down with the Bridle for reducing hand size for Saddler.

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #5854 on: May 29, 2020, 10:41:42 pm »

This may be crazy:
Way of the Hedgehog
Choose one: put this on your Tavern mat and +1 Action; or play a non-Reserve Action on your Tavern mat (which can't follow a Way), and if you did return this to your hand.

Your Actions can hibernate in the Tavern until their optimal time, and you only need to have an Action in hand to call them off (only not 'call' them). They're literally put in reserve, so the Tavern mat is the one to use for this effect over Exile, cleanly avoiding all the Exile interactions. Reserve combos, I think it's just Distant Lands and Teacher, and I'll let those slip by.

+1 Action on the move to the mat, or no +1 Action? That is my current question. It's not clever too often to terminally put an Action in reserve, but trashers you're done with, Ruins, terminal draw at a bad time... Adventures tokens working twice too, on the reserving and the call off (the Way use limitation is there to stop infinite Hedgehog-ing for infinite token boosts).
Overall the cases for keeping it there are strong enough, and these mentioned combos are safe in the light of some mousey and chameleonic combos we already have.

Hey Aquila, my english is not so good, so please help me to understand: when you say "which can't follow a way", do you mean "the card can't be played as a way" or "the card can't be played right after a card played as a way"?
The first one, the card can't be played using a Way if you play it from the Tavern mat. It seemed the most natural and clean wording to use; you follow a path, you follow the way.

Still, Faust brought out what I needed to see about this, it is crazy in that it does too much, you do indeed use it in any kind of engine to make shuffle luck much less of a thing. Way of the Turtle covers just the interesting field. This may be made to work as a kingdom card for reduced accessibility, but not as a Way.

If I understood correct how Way of the Hedgehog works , you could, for instance, put a Market on Tavern Mat and play any action from your hand as a Market; this action would return to your hand and you could play it again infinite times for infinite and buys.

Anyway, you had already changed you entry. I think Saddler/Bridle is a very intersting pair of cards.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5855 on: May 30, 2020, 12:33:38 am »
+1

There is no „leaving it there“ clause so the card on the Tavern mat is played normally, i.e. it leaves the mat and is in your play area.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1363
    • View Profile
« Reply #5856 on: May 30, 2020, 01:27:59 am »

UPDATE: Raised cost to $5, added "non-Horse" so you can't go crazy with more than 1 copy.

Here's my shot. I was thinking it might be too good at $3, but most of the time it'll only gain you 1-2 Horses, which is a less-than $2 ability. Works well with its combos, is weakish without them.

Spurs - $5 Night
For each non-Horse card you gained this turn, choose one: gain a Horse, or put a card from your hand onto your deck.

FAQ: No, you can't gain 1 horse with this card, then choose to gain a horse because of that horse, etc. The number of cards you gained is set by the first instruction before you gain the horses.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 08:57:44 pm by mail-mi »
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5857 on: May 30, 2020, 02:03:53 am »

There is no „leaving it there“ clause so the card on the Tavern mat is played normally, i.e. it leaves the mat and is in your play area.

Yes, maybe is my difficulty with language subtleties. I just thought that "play an action on your Tavern Mat" instead of "play an action from ..." (the habitual wording in Dominion cards) would mean that it would stay there.

Anyway, if I did read with more attention Aquila's comments about "call" the card, I would know I was wrong.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5858 on: May 30, 2020, 02:23:32 am »
+1

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5859 on: May 30, 2020, 02:26:49 am »

Here's my shot. I was thinking it might be too good at $3, but most of the time it'll only gain you 1-2 Horses, which is a less-than $2 ability. Works well with its combos, is weakish without them.

Spurs - $4 Night
For each card you gained this turn, choose one: gain a Horse, or put a card from your hand onto your deck.

FAQ: No, you can't gain 1 horse with this card, then choose to gain a horse because of that horse, etc. The number of cards you gained is set by the first instruction before you gain the horses.
This is far too strong. Your mistake was that you ignored that Nights are non-terminal, and non-terminally gaining 2 Horses is similar to a Lab. I play with a similar card which says "for each non-Horse card", otherwise lining them up quickly becomes crazy.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #5860 on: May 30, 2020, 10:04:38 am »
+3

Secret Land
cost 0* - Action - Prize
+1 Action
Exile a Duchy.
(This is not in the Supply.)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 10:27:52 am by majiponi »

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #5861 on: May 30, 2020, 11:36:27 am »

My entry of a split pile with horses and weird costs:

Hail Satan, hail yourself!

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #5862 on: May 30, 2020, 06:33:34 pm »
+1

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #5863 on: May 30, 2020, 08:27:19 pm »

My entry of a split pile with horses and weird costs:

As written, you would buy Breeder, return the Mule to the Supply, and then be unable to gain the Breeder you bought as there would be no pile with Breeder as its top card. Maybe you could do an Encampment-style "set this aside and return it to the Supply at the start of Clean-up"?

(Also, Split isn't a type, and Mule should say "when you would gain a Horse".)

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1363
    • View Profile
« Reply #5864 on: May 30, 2020, 08:52:17 pm »

Spurs - $4 Night
For each card you gained this turn, choose one: gain a Horse, or put a card from your hand onto your deck.

This is far too strong. Your mistake was that you ignored that Nights are non-terminal, and non-terminally gaining 2 Horses is similar to a Lab. I play with a similar card which says "for each non-Horse card", otherwise lining them up quickly becomes crazy.

Thank you! I'll bump the card to five, since it seems a little stronger than the one you posted but doesn't get gained to hand.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #5865 on: May 31, 2020, 08:21:38 am »

Recession (Action-Reaction, cost $4)
+$3
-
When a player gains a card costing $6 or more, you may reveal this, for each other player to discard down to 4 cards in hand. If it isn’t your turn, and you haven’t revealed a Recession since the start of your last turn, each other player takes their -1 Card token.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 12:40:40 pm by MrHiTech »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5866 on: May 31, 2020, 01:19:06 pm »

Edit: revised downthread (again)
Revised my entry a bit; gave an actual reason to go the 2-potion route. also swapped the order of choices (which makes the "return this to its pile" the last thing it does, so as to not be obnoxious with things you do After returning it).

Having the choices in this order slightly weakens the Exile option (since you can't exile a card you drew), while slightly strengthening the Horse option (if you trigger a shuffle, you can draw into it and play it).

Aonbarr • $4P • Action
Choose one: Gain a Horse; or Exile a card from your hand.

Choose one or both: +3 Cards; or +2 Actions. If you chose both, return this to its pile.
-
Instead of paying this cards cost, you may pay PP; if you do, +1 Buy and +$2
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 08:57:26 am by spineflu »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5867 on: May 31, 2020, 04:16:05 pm »

+$3
-
When a player gains a card costing $6 or more, you may reveal this, for each other player to discard down to 4 cards in hand. If it isn’t your turn, and you haven’t revealed a Recession since the start of your last turn, each other player takes their -1 Card token.
I like this. Terminal Gold is more or less a $4 and the Reaction (should it be an Attack like Black Cat?) is weak enough such that it is not overpowered.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1664
    • View Profile
« Reply #5868 on: May 31, 2020, 06:04:34 pm »
+2

+$3
-

I like the idea, but it doesn't work well in multiplayer. If Player 1 buys a $6+ card and Player 2 reveals Recession, Player 1 discards down to $4 before ending his buy phase. So at the end of his turn, he will have a hand of four cards and will have already used the -Card token drawing his new hand, while Player 3 and Player 4 will have both a four card hand and their -Card token.
Also, I disagree about the cost. I think it's too strong for $4.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 06:09:12 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #5869 on: June 01, 2020, 09:12:27 pm »
+4

Way of the Kingfisher
Types: Way
Turn your Journey token over (it starts face-up). Then, if it's face-up, you may play an Action from your hand twice.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5870 on: June 02, 2020, 05:32:54 am »
+1

My entry:

ZOMBIE WORKSHOP - – NIGHT

Choose one: trash a card from your hand or discard pile; or gain a card costing up to per each differently named card in the trash. If it's a Victory Card, trash this.
-
Instead of paying this card's cost, you may trash a card from your hand costing or more.

Exclusive mechanic from Menagerie: Alternate cost
Exclusive mechanic from other set: Night Card (Nocturne)
Other elements are to care about variety like Cornucopia cards and to care about trash like Dark Ages cards.
Also from Dark Ages, the mechanic exclusive to Hermit of trashing from hand or discard pile.

ZOMBIE WORKSHOP

It’s a trasher and a gainer. At the same time that you use it as a trasher, you are also building to it be a better gainer, adding different cards to trash.

Trashing from discard pile besides from hand helps to find those differently named cards to trash. Also enables to trash cards gained in the same turn.

The alternate cost of trashing a card also helps to achieve variety in the trash. However, the card trashed has to cost or more. You can't  pay for it by trashing Coppers or Estates, otherwise it would be too powerrful.  So, you can't pay the alternate cost in the first two turns, except in edge cases like with Cursed Gold or Lucky Coin.

Like Horn of Plenty, to not be overpowered, it trashes itself if you gain a Victory Card with it. You may use this feature as a tactic, gaining an Estate or other VP card to trash Zombie Workshop, which would be one more different card in the trash.

It’s a good card for engines and money strategies but also it's a good counter in slog games with cursers or junkers, since you can use the junk cards as fuel to diversify the trash and gain better cards.

It has strong synergies with Necromancer and Ruins (and fit them thematically). Also with Shelters, Lurker, Salt the Earth, other trashers and good cheap cards. Cost reducers are good for the gaining part but not for the alternate cost.

I think its regular price is OK at . This way you can gain one of them in the first two turns, but not two (edge cases apart).

As always, feedbacks are very welcome.

BlueHairedMeerkat

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5871 on: June 02, 2020, 08:03:18 am »
+3

Zoo
Landmark
------------
When you play an Action as a Way, take 1vp from this.
--------
Setup: Put 6vp here per player. Add an extra Way to the Supply.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +455
    • View Profile
« Reply #5872 on: June 02, 2020, 12:23:26 pm »

+$3
-
I like this. Terminal Gold is more or less a $4 and the Reaction (should it be an Attack like Black Cat?) is weak enough such that it is not overpowered.

Weak enough? It can be pretty devastating when a player has to discard down to four in the middle of their action phase (e.g. due to playing a gold gainer). A free Urchin play whenever any player gains a Gold or Province, plus a free "cantrip-Minion" attack when it's another player who gains it, seems extremely strong to me, for a Reaction (at least in multi-player games - the discarding rarely hurts the active player when it's their buy phase, but it hurts everyone else). I would try this at $5 or possibly even $6...

I'm also not sure if a vanilla terminal gold alone would be fine at $4 - it might make for a dominant one-card BM strategy like Rebuild. (Has someone done a simulation for terminal gold at different price points?)

FWIW, the condition "and you haven’t revealed a Recession since the start of your last turn," seems unnecessary since the -1 Card token doesn't stack. (Edit: That was wrong - while you couldn't give out the token twice with the same gain, you could do it several times during a round without that condition, potentially hurting other players several times.)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 12:33:25 pm by Holger »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5873 on: June 02, 2020, 01:54:14 pm »

Bounty Hunter seemed utterly crazy when it came out but it’s not. So a terminal Gold is most definitely fine at $4. Also, if you play money and gain lots of Golds, discarding does not hurt. If you play an engine, you are unlikely to gain cards that costs more than $6. So all the card mainly hurts in an engine are Remodel strategies.

At $5 it can hardly compete with all the other terminal Golds.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #5874 on: June 02, 2020, 02:33:05 pm »

The discard doesn't matter very often but the -1 card token hurts almost every deck.

I'm not a fan of how random the attack is. You have to have it in hand during your opponent's turn, which is something you often can't control. And if you were hit by the -1 card token, the odds of drawing it are even worse.

Black Cat has some problems too, but Black Cat is easier to spam, being both cheaper, and having an effect you want lots of (+Cards). Terminal money is difficult to spam unless you have tons of +Action, and it's rarely worth it without +Buy, meaning most decks will play with only 1 copy.
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 20 queries.