Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1541985 times)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5138
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #550 on: November 03, 2018, 06:51:02 am »
+1

Let's try this again; I'm replacing my previous un-fun submission. (This one might still be bad, let's find out.)

I'm sticking with Temporum, but this time going for the concept of ruling Times. Here, your bonus for ruling a pile is on-buy VP; it's an Adventures token Event variant. Each player gets Coronet tokens in their player color. Let's say they each get 10, like Temporum, but they probably don't need that many. You can use the crowns that come with Temporum, even.
I like this idea. It is very possible that you'd have to do some amount of tweaking on cost and reward for the most interesting play. I would consider restricting this to non-Victory cards since putting the tokens on e.g. Distant Lands seems too automatic.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: November 03, 2018, 08:22:26 am »
+3

Guess Who
Type: Action
Cost: $4

+1 Card +1 Action

Secretly pick a card from the Randomizer cards used for this kingdom. Do this twice: The player to your left asks a yes/no question, you have to truly answer. After answering the second question, he guesses the picked card. If he's wrong, gain a copy of the picked card.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 08:50:04 am by King Leon »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: November 03, 2018, 11:02:30 am »
+1

Let's try this again; I'm replacing my previous un-fun submission. (This one might still be bad, let's find out.)

I'm sticking with Temporum, but this time going for the concept of ruling Times. Here, your bonus for ruling a pile is on-buy VP; it's an Adventures token Event variant. Each player gets Coronet tokens in their player color. Let's say they each get 10, like Temporum, but they probably don't need that many. You can use the crowns that come with Temporum, even.
Cool! I think this is much better than your other one. Wording suggestion: If no player has more Coronet tokens on it than you, +2VP.

Gamer3000

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gamer3000
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: November 03, 2018, 11:58:59 am »
+1

Did you want this to get VP even if there are no tokens on the pile?

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +323
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: November 03, 2018, 01:21:21 pm »

I like this idea. It is very possible that you'd have to do some amount of tweaking on cost and reward for the most interesting play. I would consider restricting this to non-Victory cards since putting the tokens on e.g. Distant Lands seems too automatic.

Non-Victory is a good call.

Did you want this to get VP even if there are no tokens on the pile?

No I do not, so the current wording needs some tweaks.

Cool! I think this is much better than your other one. Wording suggestion: If no player has more Coronet tokens on it than you, +2VP.

Thanks! I hate wordy cards, so I'm looking for every corner I can cut, to incorporate those other changes.

This version barely still fits on 3 lines. Any loopholes here?

Coronation: Event, $3
Move any Coronet token of yours to a non-Victory Action Supply pile. (When you buy a card from that pile, if you have any Coronet tokens on it and no other player has more, +2VP.)

Violet CLM

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +444
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: November 03, 2018, 04:35:33 pm »
+1

Do this twice: The player to your left asks a yes/no question, you have to truly answer.
This is significantly closer to a Truth or Dare card than I was expecting we'd get.

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 03, 2018, 05:40:29 pm »

Do this twice: The player to your left asks a yes/no question, you have to truly answer.
This is significantly closer to a Truth or Dare card than I was expecting we'd get.

I tried to compress the text on the card. It was not so easy (English is not my native language) and yes, you may actually ask Truth or Dare questions, if you want.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 05:41:43 pm by King Leon »

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: November 03, 2018, 08:47:03 pm »
+1

Here's one I've had for a while based on Agricola:
Agriculture
$5 Action - Duration
You may set aside a non-Victory card from your hand.  If you do, gain a copy of that card, setting it aside with that card.
At the start of each of your turns, put one of those cards into your hand.

Note: It gets discarded at the end of the turn when it gives you the last card (the second turn after playing it).  If you don't set anything aside, it gets discarded at the end of the turn you play it (like Haven) and has no real effect.  When throned, you can set aside two cards (or three with King's Court), make a separate pile for each, and take one card from each pile at the start of each turn (per the FAQ on Archive).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 03:19:29 pm by Erick648 »
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +323
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: November 04, 2018, 01:21:58 am »
+1

When throned, you can set aside two cards and take two cards per turn into hand (unintuitively for those who've played Agricola, you can take both copies of one card on the first turn and both copies of the other on your second turn, or even set aside only one card and take both copies into hand on your next turn; I couldn't find any way to "fix" this that wasn't unnecessarily complex).

Based on how Archive works, yours should work the intuitive Agricola-y way: "If you Throne Room an [Agriculture], keep the sets of cards separate; you get one from each each turn". You could tweak the wording to be more like Archive. Also, the second sentence should probably say "if you do".

Agriculture would be really fun with Potion and Debt cards, for the free copy!

Erick648

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: November 04, 2018, 02:58:03 pm »

When throned, you can set aside two cards and take two cards per turn into hand (unintuitively for those who've played Agricola, you can take both copies of one card on the first turn and both copies of the other on your second turn, or even set aside only one card and take both copies into hand on your next turn; I couldn't find any way to "fix" this that wasn't unnecessarily complex).

Based on how Archive works, yours should work the intuitive Agricola-y way: "If you Throne Room an [Agriculture], keep the sets of cards separate; you get one from each each turn". You could tweak the wording to be more like Archive. Also, the second sentence should probably say "if you do".

Agriculture would be really fun with Potion and Debt cards, for the free copy!
Thanks!  I hadn't seen the ruling on Archive; I'll reword my card accordingly.

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 02:48:33 pm by MrHiTech »

MrHiTech

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 02:49:32 pm by MrHiTech »

Violet CLM

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +444
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: November 04, 2018, 04:38:53 pm »
+5

Everything is great so far, y'all! Keep it up! I really enjoy this theme so I wanted to give some love to some games that haven't popped up yet, though obviously I can't vote for myself and all that:

Betrayal at House on the Hill::

Estates on the mat stand in for BaHotH's omen cards leading to the haunt roll becoming ever more likely to succeed.

Coup:

Here "playing it as" is shorthand for the full Overlord/BoM effect. Initially this was just a Landmark, but I decided to make it an expensive Project instead, so it doesn't start slowing down the game until people have a greater variety of cards in their decks.

Terraforming Mars:

A few different Terraforming Mars mechanics found their way into this... cards that can't be played until the planet has gotten warm/wet/airy enough, special cheaper ways of acquiring basic resources, and drawing four cards for your research phase. If Young Witch turns up then I guess this only can be used three times instead of four. Not sure how "performing any necessary setup" would interact with cards with heirlooms, though.

Tzolk'in:

Tzolk'in's main mechanic of getting more powerful effects by leaving things on the board for longer, but having your options somewhat reduced in the meantime. At first I had the coin tokens sit on the card itself instead of the Coffers mat, but decided the latter would be more interesting, at which point this turned into a Candlestick Maker variant.

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: November 04, 2018, 05:10:56 pm »
+1

D&D (Pays homage to D&D)

+1 Action
Roll 2d4. For each die, if it was a:
1, +1 Card
2, +1 Action
3, +1 Buy
4, + $1

(A d4 is a 4-sided die.)

I played with that card and we thought that it was too strong. It should cost $ 4, because every play is literally:

+ ½ Card
+ 1 ½ Action
+ ½ $
+ ½ Buy

In the worst case, this is +1 Action +2 Buys, but it is often a Lab or a Peddler, which are both very strong cards.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 05:12:22 pm by King Leon »

MrHiTech

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: November 04, 2018, 05:52:33 pm »
+1

D&D (Pays homage to D&D)

+1 Action
1, +1 Card
2, +1 Action
3, +1 Buy
4, + $1

(A d4 is a 4-sided die.)

I played with that card and we thought that it was too strong. It should cost $ 4, because every play is literally:

+ ½ Card
+ 1 ½ Action
+ ½ $
+ ½ Buy

In the worst case, this is +1 Action +2 Buys, but it is often a Lab or a Peddler, which are both very strong cards.

If you playtested this card, I will accept your insight and tips. Thank you.

Erick648

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: November 04, 2018, 05:59:15 pm »
+8

D&D (Pays homage to D&D)

+1 Action
1, +1 Card
2, +1 Action
3, +1 Buy
4, + $1

(A d4 is a 4-sided die.)

+ ½ Card
+ 1 ½ Action
+ ½ $
+ ½ Buy

I disagree.  Maybe you got some lucky rolls, but it looks to me like overall, it's pretty weak.  Specifically, it has the following probabilities:

12.5% chance each of:
Village (+1 Card, +2 Actions)
Market Square (+1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy)
Peddler (+1 Card, +1 Action, +$1)
Necropolis-with-buy (+2 Actions, +1 Buy)
non-duration Fishing Village (+2 Actions, +$1)
Pouch-as-an-action (+1 Action, +1 Buy, +$1)

6.25% chance each of:
Laboratory (+2 Cards, +1 Action)
failed first Crossroads (+3 Actions)
non-terminal Buys (+1 Action, +2 Buys)
virtual Silver (+1 Action, +$2)

While the Laboratory effect is strong, it only happens 1 in 16 times.  Most of these effects would be balanced on a $2-3 card, and some wouldn't even be worth $2.  And then you need to discount it for being random (since you won't always get the effect you want and will sometimes get Actions or Buys when you have no use for them). 

On average, playing two of these will give the same effect as playing Village+Market Square, only with more unpredictability (and without the option of using Market Square's reaction).  Given that the unpredictability is a bad thing rather than a good thing (since it makes it much harder to work the card into an overall strategy), I'd probably price it at $2, or possibly [3debt] (since having a debt-only card makes it easier to use the +Buys if you get them at an inconvenient time).  Certainly, I don't think it should cost more than $3, since two of these are pretty clearly worse than a Village plus a Market Square (both of which cost $3).

MrHiTech

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: November 04, 2018, 09:04:54 pm »

Old:
College Education (Pays homage to Life)
https://shemitz.net/static/dominion3/?title=College%20Education&description=%2B1%20Buy%0ATake%20Educated.&type=Event&credit=Google%20Images&price=%405&preview=&type2=&picture=&color0=0&color1=0&size=1
Event (cost $2)
+1 Buy
Take Educated.
Here is educated:
https://shemitz.net/static/dominion3/?title=Educated&description=At%20the%20start%20of%20your%20turn%2C%20%2B1%25&type=State&credit=Google%20Images&price=&preview=&type2=&picture=&color0=13&color1=0&size=1

At the start of your turn, +1 VP
I think it can be relatively cheap because all the players will be constantly fighting over it. Also it costs 5 debt, one for each bank loan you take at the start of the Life game if you choose college.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 02:51:03 pm by MrHiTech »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: November 04, 2018, 11:23:25 pm »
+4

D&D (Pays homage to D&D)

+1 Action
1, +1 Card
2, +1 Action
3, +1 Buy
4, + $1

(A d4 is a 4-sided die.)

+ ½ Card
+ 1 ½ Action
+ ½ $
+ ½ Buy

I disagree.  Maybe you got some lucky rolls, but it looks to me like overall, it's pretty weak.  Specifically, it has the following probabilities:

12.5% chance each of:
Village (+1 Card, +2 Actions)
Market Square (+1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy)
Peddler (+1 Card, +1 Action, +$1)
Necropolis-with-buy (+2 Actions, +1 Buy)
non-duration Fishing Village (+2 Actions, +$1)
Pouch-as-an-action (+1 Action, +1 Buy, +$1)

6.25% chance each of:
Laboratory (+2 Cards, +1 Action)
failed first Crossroads (+3 Actions)
non-terminal Buys (+1 Action, +2 Buys)
virtual Silver (+1 Action, +$2)

While the Laboratory effect is strong, it only happens 1 in 16 times.  Most of these effects would be balanced on a $2-3 card, and some wouldn't even be worth $2.  And then you need to discount it for being random (since you won't always get the effect you want and will sometimes get Actions or Buys when you have no use for them). 

On average, playing two of these will give the same effect as playing Village+Market Square, only with more unpredictability (and without the option of using Market Square's reaction).  Given that the unpredictability is a bad thing rather than a good thing (since it makes it much harder to work the card into an overall strategy), I'd probably price it at $2, or possibly [3debt] (since having a debt-only card makes it easier to use the +Buys if you get them at an inconvenient time).  Certainly, I don't think it should cost more than $3, since two of these are pretty clearly worse than a Village plus a Market Square (both of which cost $3).

Since I was strangely curious, I'm going to try to calculate the cost with more accuracy:

12.5% chance each of:
Village (+1 Card, +2 Actions) - $3.
Market Square (+1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy) - I think MS without the reaction would only be worth $2, really. How many cantrip +Buys do you really want, normally?
Peddler (+1 Card, +1 Action, +$1) $4 - One of the strongest effects.
Necropolis-with-buy (+2 Actions, +1 Buy) - Barely better than regular Necropolis. $1.5 at most.
non-duration Fishing Village (+2 Actions, +$1) - Squire with fewer options. Given that you'll pick this option the vast majority of the time anyway, I'll be generous and give it $2.
Pouch-as-an-action (+1 Action, +1 Buy, +$1) - Pouch is $2, but honestly, given that I gave Buycropolis only +$0.5 for its +Buy, this should really only be $0.5.

6.25% chance each of:
Laboratory (+2 Cards, +1 Action) - Far and away the best outcome - $5
failed first Crossroads (+3 Actions) - Removing the draw possibility takes away everything even remotely attractive about Crossroads at $2. - $1.5 for you.
non-terminal Buys (+1 Action, +2 Buys) - Just terrible. $0.5.
virtual Silver (+1 Action, +$2) - $3, which at this point is looking shockingly good.

Overall, this is looking even weaker than the above estimate. The final outcome is .125*(3+2+4+1.5+2+0.5) + .0625*(5+1.5+0.5+3) = 2.25. Subtract $0.25 for the randomness and we get an even $2.

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: November 05, 2018, 02:09:16 am »

You have to count Peddler as $4.5, because Poacher already costs $4. Pouch-as-an-action is definitely a $2, if you compare it to Pawn and Candlestick Maker. The disappearing Silver is probably a $3.5.

But overall you seem to be right. The problem is that this card is a very unsteady Pawn variant, but usually better than Pawn.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: November 05, 2018, 03:00:03 am »
+2

Ok, I'm throwing my hat into the ring.

Here are four cards inspired by the four special cards in Tichu:

The Little Bird rewards you for correctly guessing a card in the next player's hand. It only works once because they have to reveal to confirm your guess, and after that it would be trivial to get the bonus.

Dominion players are well aware of the principle that one great thing is better than two good things. This is the case in Tichu as well, and the Dog is a card that weakens your own hand but strengthens your partner's. Cards that hurt your current turn to help the next one are a well-explored design space in Dominion, so I had some trouble creating something new. While making this card I kept reinventing Gear, Tactician, and Secret Cave. In the end I settled on a gainer. The synergy with Faithful Hound is a nice bonus.

Phoenix is a wish you can buy! Tichu's Phoenix is a wild card worth negative points, so you get a curse when you play this.

The mighty Dragon has a powerful effect and is worth points, but you don't get to keep him when you play him! This Dragon is a little nicer; you can appease him by feeding him Victory cards.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 03:10:21 am by singletee »

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +452
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: November 05, 2018, 04:15:22 am »

I think you need an "if you do" on Dragon.  Otherwise, I can play it, choose to trash a Victory card from my hand, fail to do so because there are none, and still get the effect.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5138
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: November 05, 2018, 04:59:53 am »

Terraforming Mars:

A few different Terraforming Mars mechanics found their way into this... cards that can't be played until the planet has gotten warm/wet/airy enough, special cheaper ways of acquiring basic resources, and drawing four cards for your research phase. If Young Witch turns up then I guess this only can be used three times instead of four. Not sure how "performing any necessary setup" would interact with cards with heirlooms, though.
I don't think this works. First, it is unclear how it would even work with kingdom randomizing. I draw 7 kingdom card randomizers, then I draw New Horizons, now what? Also minor complaint, but the theme is completely out of place.

Then it just does its thing way too late into the game. Apart from major "perform any necessary setup" confusion, it just won't do anything. If you're adding new piles only as you are greening, they will have minimal effect. So overall, this event just leads to more boring games with less variety - which does not sound like a good representation for Terraforming Mars.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

MrHiTech

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: November 05, 2018, 08:18:30 am »

The problem is that this card is a very unsteady Pawn variant, but usually better than Pawn.
Usually is not strictly

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: November 05, 2018, 08:42:55 am »

Here's one I've had for a while based on Agricola:
Agriculture
$5 Action - Duration
You may set aside a non-Victory card from your hand.  If you do, gain a copy of that card, setting it aside with that card.
At the start of each of your turns, put one of those cards into your hand.
Thematically it is a great match but I think that the card is too weak. You have to play a terminal, not play the strong card that you want to copy, have that strong card out of your deck during the next turn and you only gain the second copy two turns later.
Compared to others $5 gainers this looks incredibly weak. It becomes better with expensive cards that have Potion or Debt in their cost (especially stuff that becomes strong later in the game like City Quarter) but even then the tempo disadvantage might be too significant.

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: November 05, 2018, 11:24:28 am »

Compared to Harem and Mercenary, Dragon sounds rather strong. Phoenix is a nice Feast variant, but alas a little broken when there are other cursors in the game. What about just giving you a Copper instead of the Curse?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 11:28:08 am by King Leon »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 20 queries.