Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546414 times)

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #5025 on: March 17, 2020, 10:53:16 am »

Diary (/Secret Chamber)
cost $0 - Treasure - Reaction
$1
---
When you discard this other than during Clean-up, you may reveal this. If you do, each other player gains a Curse.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 10:57:47 am by majiponi »

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #5026 on: March 17, 2020, 10:59:52 am »
+1

Card: Zombie Architect (below)
Comes with: Zombie Mason
Order: first Zombie Mason, then Zombie Architect

Zombie Architect • $4 • Action - Zombie
+1 Action
Look at the top 3 cards of your deck. You may trash or discard any of them. Put the rest back in any order.
-
While this is in play, Copper costs $2 more.
(This happens after any cost reduction)

Its a setup card for Zombie Mason, basically;
Theres actually no great reason for it to be a zombie other than to keep the pile consistent, or if you wanna toss one of these in with your Necromancer prep cards.

The cost increase specifies "more" so if you get four of these in play, copper costs $8 and can be remodeled accordingly; also I specified how/when the cost increase would work.

Revisions:
removed +1 Card

I think I'm not going to allow this, and limit the options to Supply cards only; i.e. it has to appear in a Kingdom pile.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #5027 on: March 17, 2020, 11:20:55 am »
+1

Here is my split pile:

Bottom text

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5028 on: March 17, 2020, 11:33:11 am »

Card: Zombie Architect (below)
Comes with: Zombie Mason
Order: first Zombie Mason, then Zombie Architect

Zombie Architect • $4 • Action - Zombie
+1 Action
Look at the top 3 cards of your deck. You may trash or discard any of them. Put the rest back in any order.
-
While this is in play, Copper costs $2 more.
(This happens after any cost reduction)

Its a setup card for Zombie Mason, basically;
Theres actually no great reason for it to be a zombie other than to keep the pile consistent, or if you wanna toss one of these in with your Necromancer prep cards.

The cost increase specifies "more" so if you get four of these in play, copper costs $8 and can be remodeled accordingly; also I specified how/when the cost increase would work.

Revisions:
removed +1 Card

I think I'm not going to allow this, and limit the options to Supply cards only; i.e. it has to appear in a Kingdom pile.

oh? I was looking forward to someone pulling the same stunt with Diadem, but yeah that's fair, I'll change it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 12:06:45 pm by spineflu »

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #5029 on: March 17, 2020, 11:48:39 am »
+1

These start under Mine. Use as many copies as you would any other victory card - 8 in two player.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #5030 on: March 17, 2020, 11:50:21 am »
+1

Split pile with Coppersmith, 5 cards of each, Accountant goes on top. I don't think it's too strong for $3, compared to market square and its reaction.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5031 on: March 17, 2020, 12:04:28 pm »
+1

EDIT: I'm withdrawing this - see downthread

Card: Mantle (below)
Comes with: Dismantle
Order: Mantle (5 copies) then Dismantle (5 copies)

Mantle • $4 • Treasure
$2
When you trash this, you may trash a card from your hand for +$2; if you do, return this to the Supply.

Dismantle is fine, I guess, but the fun part about it (gaining gold!) doesn't happen when you use it on Copper. Now it can (when you dismantle this and then use the bonus trash on this on the copper)!

(thematically i'm picturing like a magic cape but I don't have a good painting floating around for that)

These start under Mine. Use as many copies as you would any other victory card - 8 in two player.

do we still use all 10 copies of Mine?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 10:32:54 pm by spineflu »

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #5032 on: March 17, 2020, 12:12:01 pm »
+2

This is in a split pile with Navigator, with five copies of Navigator above five copies of this.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #5033 on: March 17, 2020, 12:43:14 pm »
+1

do we still use all 10 copies of Mine?
Nah just 5

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #5034 on: March 17, 2020, 04:50:26 pm »
+1

Questions:
• is drawing two fewer cards per turn enough of a penalty? (i.e $2 is likely better than double $1)

Do we get any bonus points for designing a card that was effectively designed as an Official Card :):

I had actually considered curse gaining as the penalty, but thought it might be too close to Cursed Gold (what do I know?). I do have a new v0.2. with a stronger penalty, though I think I'll have to change the benefit too, to differentiate it from Desperation.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 05:21:45 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #5035 on: March 17, 2020, 07:19:16 pm »
+2

Scribe/King's Court

Scribe - Action, $3 cost.
+1 Card
+1 Action
+ $1

When you next gain a card this turn, gain a cheaper non-Victory card. If you do, return this to the Supply.

5 of this on top of 5 KCs, the standard setup. I thought cutting down the number of KCs would help cool down their dominance, but it might make them irrelevant. Their timing won't be that different. Scribe tries to interact well with them, getting you 3 cheaper cards at once for a big building spike: buying Province could get you a KC first, then the scribe would return to the Supply, so you'd next need to gain the Scribe back in order to uncover another KC. Hope that's right.
Gaining a cheaper card is mandatory, so to keep hold of Scribes you need to avoid gaining or buying anything with one in play.
I'd imagine an illustration for it would be the blue guy with a scroll on the KC illustration. He's why I chose the name Scribe anyway.

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #5036 on: March 17, 2020, 07:23:27 pm »
+1

Bookkeeper
Action - $3
+2 Actions
+1 Buy
You may discard any number of cards for +$1 each

Setup: Place 5 copies of Bookkeeper on top of 5 copies of Counting House

Concept: Bookkeeper ensures a few of the things that make Counting House work are in the kingdom with it, and it provides a nice synergy, but both it and Counting House combo better with other cards
I, as the only person I know of to date who has Counting House as their favourite card, I wholeheartedly support this card. As for my entry, let's try to improve one of the worst cards in all of Dominion.

Path/Scout

Path
$3
Action-Victory
+1 Action
+$1
Gain a Path. If you do, +$1.
-------
0VP

Scout
You know what Scout does.

5 copies of Path on top of 5 copies of Scout. Guarantees an Action-Victory for Scout to work with, and synergizes with Scout. Path gains copies of itself and runs out its pile so that Scout can be uncovered most games. Hopefully this improves Scout enough for you to actually want one.

Edit: Made Path give +$1 instead of +1 Card, making it more useful as payload for Scout to draw. Hopefully that improves it in a similar way that choosing +1 Action +$1 is often better than choosing +1 Card +1 Action.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 08:37:07 pm by [TP] Inferno »
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #5037 on: March 17, 2020, 07:26:06 pm »

Bookkeeper
Action - $3
+2 Actions
+1 Buy

Concept: Bookkeeper ensures a few of the things that make Counting House work are in the kingdom with it, and it provides a nice synergy, but both it and Counting House combo better with other cards
I, as the only person I know of to date who has Counting House as their favourite card, I wholeheartedly support this card. As for my entry, let's try to improve one of the worst cards in all of Dominion.

Path/Scout

Path
$3
Action-Victory
+1 Card
+1 Action
-------
0VP

Scout

5 copies of Path on top of 5 copies of Scout. Guarantees an Action-Victory for Scout to work with, and synergizes with Scout. Path gains copies of itself and runs out its pile so that Scout can be uncovered most games. Hopefully this improves Scout enough for you to actually want one.

Is it an intentional part of the design that Path does nothing once the Paths run out? It still make Scout pretty weak.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #5038 on: March 17, 2020, 07:30:31 pm »

Bookkeeper
Action - $3
+2 Actions
+1 Buy

Path/Scout

Path
$3
Action-Victory
+1 Card
+1 Action
-------
0VP

Scout

Is it an intentional part of the design that Path does nothing once the Paths run out? It still make Scout pretty weak.
It was to make sure it wasn't strictly better than Poacher. Would +2 Cards be better instead of +1 Card +1 Action?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #5039 on: March 18, 2020, 04:59:00 am »

Too fiddly to be a good submission but I had a fun time thinking about it:

2$ Surveyor
Action - Attack
+2 Actions
+1$
Each player reveals the top card of their deck.  Discard all Treasures revealed this way and gain a copy of the highest costing one.  If you revealed an Attack or Victory card, put it into your hand.

5 copies of surveyor on top of five copies of Explorer.

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #5040 on: March 18, 2020, 05:24:27 am »

Have a guess as to what the other top half of my split is?

Click this link to know the answer...
https://tinyurl.com/uthqnp8
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 06:44:12 am by somekindoftony »

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #5041 on: March 18, 2020, 06:28:21 am »
+1

Before I reveal (by editing this post) anyone want to hazard a guess as to what the other half of my split is?

Uhhhhh...... Treasure Map? Adventurer?

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #5042 on: March 18, 2020, 06:48:17 am »

@ [TP] Inferno  I amended my post to enable you to click when ready.

I am not sure I have entirely worded it right either. I want it to happen that if Golden Egg is the top card of its supply pile then each other player gains a gold to the top of their deck at the start of your turn. So the under the line effect triggers at the start of each players turn from the supply. Is that even possible?

The hope is that its like a wonderful present for everyone... unless someone buys them up (which would be the equivalent of killing the goose that laid the golden egg).

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #5043 on: March 18, 2020, 02:29:42 pm »
+1

I go for the obvious one:

5 Pearl Divers on top, 5 Pearls below. Or print 6 Pearls such that you can use 4/4 in 2P and 6/6 in 3P.

First I bottom-decked this on discard such that Pearl Diver could dig for it several times per shuffle, but that felt too good.

Also, I first had this without the extra Buy. But I think it needs it to become more interesting and without it, it might just be a weaker Gold for $5 which is unattractive if there are other Coin sources.

Not sure whether it needs the discard nerf, the fact that this appears late and misses shuffles without Pearl Diver support might be enough.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 05:21:13 pm by segura »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5044 on: March 18, 2020, 03:27:36 pm »

5 Pearl Divers on top, 5 Pearls below. Or print 6 Pearls such that you can use 4/4 in 2P and 6/6 in 3P.

First I bottom-decked this on discard such that Pearl Diver could dig for it several times per shuffle, but that felt too good.

Also, I first had this without the extra Buy. But I think it needs it to become more interesting and without it, it might just be a weaker Gold for $5 which is unattractive if there are other Coin sources.

Not sure whether it needs the discard nerf, the fact that this appears late and misses shuffles without Pearl Diver support might be enough.

I'm confused, why would you use 4/4 or 6/6, instead of the normal 5/5?

Anyway, does Pearl have a different back, like Stash, to support the shuffle rule?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5045 on: March 18, 2020, 03:54:17 pm »

Because it scales and splits better, average number of cards per player becomes an integer which does not vary with player count.

I don‘t think that you need differently colored backs. Unless you play with cheating jerks, which you really shouldnˋt.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 03:55:19 pm by segura »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5046 on: March 18, 2020, 03:58:20 pm »

Because it scales and splits better, average number of cards per player becomes an integer which does not vary with player count.

I don‘t think that you need differently colored backs. Unless you play with cheating jerks, which you really shouldnˋt.

Cheating isn't the issue... the issue is how do you actually take the action of putting them on the bottom while shuffling? You aren't allowed to look at the front of your cards while shuffling in general. And even if you add a clause saying "while shuffling, look through your deck and put this on the bottom", you still have the issue of what it would take to carry out those instructions... look through your deck finding all Pearls, setting them aside. Then shuffle the rest of the cards normally, then put the Pearls on the bottom. The different backs in Stash are necessary to make it possible to use the ability; it seems like the same would be needed here.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5047 on: March 18, 2020, 04:38:47 pm »

Cheating isn't the issue... the issue is how do you actually take the action of putting them on the bottom while shuffling? You aren't allowed to look at the front of your cards while shuffling in general. And even if you add a clause saying "while shuffling, look through your deck and put this on the bottom", you still have the issue of what it would take to carry out those instructions... look through your deck finding all Pearls, setting them aside. Then shuffle the rest of the cards normally, then put the Pearls on the bottom. The different backs in Stash are necessary to make it possible to use the ability; it seems like the same would be needed here.
You could argue that the current wording implies that you ignore the "don't look through your deck when you shuffle" rule (and it is a general standard with card games that stuff on cards dominates stuff in the rulebook). I mean, you gotta do it, otherwise you could not do what the card tells you to do.
But of course you are technically right, with differently coloured backs this is a cleaner design rule-wise. And differently coloured backs are cool anyway.

By the way, I wonder how many people enforce the "don't look through your discard pile when you shuffle" rule. I never do it, I want my games to be relaxed and not micromanage my playing group such that a rule, whose only purpose is to reward memorization and deck-tracking, is strictly implemented.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5048 on: March 18, 2020, 04:43:04 pm »

You argue that the current wording implies that you ignore the "don't look through your deck when you shuffle" rule (and it is a general standard with card games that stuff on cards dominates stuff in the rulebook). I mean, you gotta do it, otherwise you could not do what the card tells you to do.
But of course you are technically right, with differently coloured backs this is a cleaner design rule-wise. And differently coloured backs are cool anyway.

True that card instructions can and almost always do break rules written in rulebooks. But only to the extend that you follow just the instruction you are given; they don't generally allow you to do whatever it takes to do what the card says. The "do as much as possible" rule still comes into play. For example, if a card says to draw 3 cards, and you have less than 3 cards in your deck/discard, you aren't allowed to do anything that it takes to make it so that you can still draw 3 cards; you can't just take cards from the supply and add them to your deck so that you have 3 cards to draw.

The recent ruling on revealing Tunnel after it has been shuffled into your deck actually is the same thing. Tunnel says you're allowed to reveal it, but that doesn't implicitly give you permission to look through your deck to find it. If you can't find it without breaking the "no looking through your deck" rule, then you can't follow its "reveal this" instructions, so you just don't. Pearl would be the same way, the instruction to put it on the bottom doesn't give you permission to do whatever is required to follow that instruction.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5049 on: March 18, 2020, 04:51:16 pm »

Minor quibble: Pearl should have in the corners, rather than the ? symbol, as it produces every time you play it, whether or not it's trashed. See Contraband.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 20 queries.