Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546486 times)

Snowyowl

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +81
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #4475 on: January 16, 2020, 05:12:43 am »

Tell me if a set of Shelters doesn't count as one entry. Or indeed if any of them are crazy.
I'll allow it. If they're meant to all be added to the game together, they're not so different from a split pile.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #4476 on: January 16, 2020, 08:04:02 am »
+1

Note that it specifies card, not just action, meaning it can be used on any playable card.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 08:13:35 am by D782802859 »

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: January 16, 2020, 08:27:15 am »
+4

Provisioner
Types: Action
Cost: $5
You may gain a Silver. For each card in your hand, the player to your left puts a card from your discard pile into your hand.
Doubles your hand from the worst cards in your discard pile (or all of them if you don't have that many).  It also lets you gain a Silver for the cases when you don't have a discard pile or want to slog your deck.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #4478 on: January 16, 2020, 09:18:20 am »
+4

Note that it specifies card, not just action, meaning it can be used on any playable card.
This is strictly better than Moneylender (as in, using it on a copper is the same as Moneylender, and this adds additional functionality) and should probably cost more as a result

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: January 16, 2020, 09:39:23 am »
+1

Harlequin/Capital...

Why yes, I would like two free Provinces.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4480 on: January 16, 2020, 10:13:34 am »
+1

I'ma change my entry, Doppelganger is trying to do too much with not enough design space to do it. I reworked it because I love the art I found but c'est la vie.

Vista • $5 • Action - Victory
Set this aside. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Victory card costing up to $8^. Set it aside with this, face up (discard the rest of the revealed cards). If this sets aside an...
...Estate, gain a Vista
...Province, all other players get +1 Card
-
Worth % equal to the set-aside card(s).
Make sure your Province has a view!

This is a riff on an old card from the Throne Room contest (#19), spiralstaircase's Eyre, with the difference being this always works (and sometimes hurts you after the fact) instead of having to try to time it.

FAQ: If you throne/KC this, you do set aside two/three cards; this is worth VP equal to the sum VP of all set-aside cards. Also the Throne/KC  stays out with it (which isn't unique to this, it also happens when you Throne a Champion or whatev).

This cost adjustment does break gainers but not remodelers (since your cards now cost an additional <x> too). As grep points out, you can get around the cost penalty by lowering card prices (Highway, Bridge, Canal, etc) before you buy things.
old revision stuff; doesn't matter anymore.

oh and uh I did the art for this one too. Spray paint on sheet metal, 2019

Revised to make this closer to Rebuild in application, but less centralizing - if your Vista has a Vista, well, buddy, that's a park, it's 0VP.

Revised again to give a bonus for the most common bad outcome (set aside an estate) and put a price cap on it. If you can work cost reduction magic to set aside a Colony with this, well, you earned it.

Revised again after LibraryAdventurer pointed out i don't need it to be a duration anymore
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 09:13:02 am by spineflu »

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: January 16, 2020, 11:05:17 am »

Tell me if a set of Shelters doesn't count as one entry. Or indeed if any of them are crazy.
I'll allow it. If they're meant to all be added to the game together, they're not so different from a split pile.
Great, yes they're designed to be played together.

Where's the doubling with this?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4482 on: January 16, 2020, 11:06:22 am »

Right after the second play and before the third? But yeah, it's a stretch.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: January 16, 2020, 11:56:13 am »
+1

Vista • $5 • Action - Victory - Duration
Set a Victory card aside under this, face up.
(This stays in play)
If the card set aside in this way cost $5 or more, cards cost <1> more during your turn.
-
This is worth VP equal to the set-aside card.

FAQ: If you throne/KC this, you do set aside two/three cards; this is worth VP equal to the sum VP of all set-aside cards, and if the total cost of cards set aside with this is above 5, cards cost 1 debt more (not one debt more for each set aside card). Also the Throne/KC  stays out with it (which isn't unique to this, it also happens when you Throne a Champion or whatev).

The throning behavior from FAQ doesn't meet the card text. Normally when there are many ways to do something, the player makes a choice. For example, if Province and Duchy are set aside, the player may choose Vista to cost 6VP or 3VP, and separately choose to pay or not to pay the fine.

BTW funny interaction with cost reducers - if you play enough Bridges, you don't need to pay the fine

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4484 on: January 16, 2020, 12:36:48 pm »

(This stays in play)
If the card set aside in this way cost $5 or more, cards cost <1> more during your turn.
-
This is worth VP equal to the set-aside card.

FAQ: If you throne/KC this, you do set aside two/three cards; this is worth VP equal to the sum VP of all set-aside cards, and if the total cost of cards set aside with this is above 5, cards cost 1 debt more (not one debt more for each set aside card). Also the Throne/KC  stays out with it (which isn't unique to this, it also happens when you Throne a Champion or whatev).

The throning behavior from FAQ doesn't meet the card text. Normally when there are many ways to do something, the player makes a choice. For example, if Province and Duchy are set aside, the player may choose Vista to cost 6VP or 3VP, and separately choose to pay or not to pay the fine.

BTW funny interaction with cost reducers - if you play enough Bridges, you don't need to pay the fine

this fixes it?:
(This stays in play)
If the card(s) set aside in this way cost $5 total or more, cards cost <1> more during your turn.
-
This is worth VP equal to the set-aside card(s).

I think the Bridge/Highway thing is more feature than bug. and it's thematic. you've got a great view of the canal, and the Bridges, and the Bridge Troll.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 04:18:25 pm by spineflu »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4485 on: January 16, 2020, 01:29:57 pm »
+1

I don't know if this is right... are there any similar examples in real Dominion cards? There aren't as far as I know. Either interpretation seems equally possible to me.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #4486 on: January 16, 2020, 01:47:10 pm »

Promenade (Action, $6).

You may play an Action card from your hand twice.
You may return one of your Villagers. If you did, play it a third time.
---
When you gain this, +1 Villager.

A Throne Room variant that lets you upgrade to King's Court if you have a Villager to hand.

This is especially powerful with cards that provide +Villagers, e.g. Patron or Acting Troupe, since those can be used with for the 3rd play.

For Acting Troupe it's basically +10 Villagers!!

It's practically a dead card if it's the only source of Villagers, though.

How? It's a Throne Room that's a King's Court for the first time you play it.

Yes, but it only costs less than a King's Court. It's so much worse than King's Court for being a similar price.

There's a huge gulf between much worse than King's Court and practically dead.

Yeah. This is just a more-expensive Throne Room that has a stronger effect than Throne Room. I dunno if it's weak at or not, but it seemed weird to use the term "dead" when that generally refers to something like Stables in a hand with no treasure; or when people make fan cards that do almost nothing unless there's an attack available, etc. Even if the card were just literally Throne Room but costing , I wouldn't think to use the term "dead".

Would this work better as a $5? I wasn't sure initially if it should cost $5 or $6; eventually I erred on the side of caution.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #4487 on: January 16, 2020, 02:29:26 pm »
+2

[This is no longer my entry this challenge, see Siege Tower further down]

So I've decided to switch my entry away from Juggler (great image aside) and go with my original idea for doubling.

I think TRs for attacks have been tried before, BUT they're not too effective because:
a) attacks are often designed to not stack
b) there may not be other attacks in the Kingdom

Gauntlets attempts to solve a) by making the 2nd attack happen next turn. As for b) well, the setup clause guarantees other attacks!

Since you still have to have an attack on your hand with Gauntlets, it itself can be a straight curser (but to your opponent's hands, which should be a little weak).

« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 03:00:13 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4488 on: January 16, 2020, 03:18:42 pm »
+1

Promenade (Action, $6).

---

A Throne Room variant that lets you upgrade to King's Court if you have a Villager to hand.

This is especially powerful with cards that provide +Villagers, e.g. Patron or Acting Troupe, since those can be used with for the 3rd play.

Yes, but it only costs less than a King's Court. It's so much worse than King's Court for being a similar price.

Yeah. This is just a more-expensive Throne Room that has a stronger effect than Throne Room. I dunno if it's weak at or not, but it seemed weird to use the term "dead" when that generally refers to something like Stables in a hand with no treasure; or when people make fan cards that do almost nothing unless there's an attack available, etc. Even if the card were just literally Throne Room but costing , I wouldn't think to use the term "dead".

Would this work better as a $5? I wasn't sure initially if it should cost $5 or $6; eventually I erred on the side of caution.

I think $6 is an appropriate cost. I'd generally advise against using busted cards like King's Court as a benchmark to balance other cards and comparing this to the $5 Throne variants it seems clearly much stronger than those to me.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #4489 on: January 16, 2020, 03:24:04 pm »
+3

Zimbabwe Money - $4 - Treasure
+$7
+1 Buy
This turn, double the coin cost of all cards and events.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 11:49:31 am by pubby »

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #4490 on: January 16, 2020, 03:43:13 pm »
+1

Promenade (Action, $6).

---

I think $6 is an appropriate cost. I'd generally advise against using busted cards like King's Court as a benchmark to balance other cards and comparing this to the $5 Throne variants it seems clearly much stronger than those to me.

You could make it a little stronger by being +2 Villagers, instead of +1.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #4491 on: January 16, 2020, 08:06:18 pm »
+2

Toads
$5
Action
Trash this. Gain 2 Toads. If you did, +4 Cards.

Like Rats, which it was inspired by, it too has 20 cards in the pile. Works as decent terminal draw until they run out. It doubles itself while also being a one-shot. Hope it fits the theme.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 04:00:53 am by [TP] Inferno »
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #4492 on: January 16, 2020, 08:13:12 pm »

Toads
$5
Action
Trash this. Gain 2 Toads. If you did, +3 Cards.

Like Rats, which it was inspired by, it too has 20 cards in the pile. Works as decent terminal draw until they run out. It doubles itself while also being a one-shot. Hope it fits the theme.

I feel like the risk this becomes a dead card means it could draw four cards  and be fine. I don't really want to draw a hand of these due to their terminal nature. At +4 cards I really like it.

Saul Goodman

• Navigator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #4493 on: January 16, 2020, 09:58:52 pm »
+1

Provisioner
You may gain a Silver. For each card in your hand, the player to your left puts a card from your discard pile into your hand.
Doubles your hand from the worst cards in your discard pile (or all of them if you don't have that many).  It also lets you gain a Silver for the cases when you don't have a discard pile or want to slog your deck.

This seems like a card that should be purchased with some debt.  And more expensive maybe?  Maybe 3$ and $3debt?

Can't say why.  Just a feel that it is OP at $5.

grep

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4494 on: January 16, 2020, 10:29:44 pm »
+2

Provisioner

This seems like a card that should be purchased with some debt.  And more expensive maybe?  Maybe 3$ and $3debt?

Without villages and labs, it's worse than Envoy, and degrading quickly while greening. I would value it $4

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #4495 on: January 17, 2020, 01:32:04 am »
+1

Provisioner

Without villages and labs, it's worse than Envoy, and degrading quickly while greening. I would value it $4
You underestimate that the opponent cannot discard your best card and that you do at least gain a Silver to hand. Not brilliant, but Explorer and Sculptor sometimes do nothing more.
I agree though that this could be too weak. I think Gazbad did a better implentation of drawing from the discard pile via a Mountain Villager style Smithy (i.e. you draw from your deck if you have no discard pile) some time ago.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #4496 on: January 17, 2020, 01:34:13 am »

KCing is arguably like Throning twice.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4497 on: January 17, 2020, 01:59:00 am »
+1

+$7
+1 Buy
Double the coin cost of all cards and events.

Combos with Monument.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #4498 on: January 17, 2020, 04:00:36 am »
+1

Toads
$5
Action
Trash this. Gain 2 Toads. If you did, +3 Cards.

I feel like the risk this becomes a dead card means it could draw four cards  and be fine. I don't really want to draw a hand of these due to their terminal nature. At +4 cards I really like it.

Alright then. +4 Cards it is.
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

grep

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4499 on: January 17, 2020, 10:33:38 am »

+$7
+1 Buy
Double the coin cost of all cards and events.

Combos with Monument.
You probably mean Bishop (as well as Apprentice and Raze). Also debt cost cards become incredibly cheap.
puppy: Is it "while this is in play" or "until end of turn"? The difference is in interaction with thrones and impostors like BOM
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 21 queries.