Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547453 times)

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #4400 on: January 07, 2020, 01:47:07 pm »

Thank you grrgrrgrr.

Challenge: Fee for service

The card (shaped thing) must involve paying or overpaying some kind of currency (eg $, Actions, Buys, VP Tokens, Coffers, Villagers, some other arbitrary token that can be earned). The overpay mechanic from Guilds is allowed, and the official cards Storyteller, Butcher and Black Market would count. Discard for benefit (eg Artificer) doesn't count.

So does this preclude any discarding as the "fee"? I have an idea which includes a Statw with the following clause: "...you may discard two cards to return this." Would that count?

(if not, no worries, I can save this for a future contest)
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #4401 on: January 07, 2020, 02:14:52 pm »
+4

Draft • $3@0+ • Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Choose one: +1 Buy or Return @1
-
When you buy this, you may take up to @12 to gain a card to the top of your deck costing $1 per @2 you take from this (rounded down).

This is actually a riff on an old King Leon card that won contest #30; it uses a 2-to-1 debt overpay mechanic (and can assist with getting rid of the debt).

revised to clarify the debt-taking + card gaining are related - you cannot gain a $0 card by taking 0 debt (same deal as Stonemason); also revised so the debt amount is rounded down and odd numbers of debt don't just get you a blue dog nothing.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 09:05:42 am by spineflu »

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: January 07, 2020, 02:52:46 pm »

Not sure if this will be my final submission, but I'll put it down for now.

Gnome
Action/Fate - $2+
+1 Action. Look at the top Boon; you may receive it. If you don't, +1 Card.
--
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. If you do, receive the top Boon once per $1 you overpaid.

This seems like this would be unfair if the Flame's gift is the only way of trashing and someone can overpay on this by a lot.

It's quite hard to set up - you need a Gnome to ensure that Flame's gift is on the way, cash to overpay (if all you have is Coppers it's half efficient), and good draw to have nontrivial hand size. So I would not call it a strategy to rely on.

More significant, many Boons are pretty useless at the Buy stage. That's why Blessed Village has an option of delayed receiving.

Snowyowl

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +81
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: January 07, 2020, 04:09:33 pm »
+1

Draft • $3@0+ • Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
-
When you buy this, you may take up to @12. Gain a card to the top of your deck costing $1 per @2 you take from this.

Well that throws all my opening theory out the window. You can potentially buy an Attack on turn 1 and play it on turn 2 before the first shuffle. I can see this card shaking a lot of games up.

Do players have the option to not overpay? At $3, it's a good deal for a cantrip +Buy/+virtual money. If I just want that, do I still need to pay @0 and gain a card that costs $0? And if so, what happens if I pay @2 instead?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 04:11:53 pm by Snowyowl »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: January 07, 2020, 04:59:31 pm »

Draft • $3@0+ • Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
-
When you buy this, you may take up to @12. Gain a card to the top of your deck costing $1 per @2 you take from this.

Well that throws all my opening theory out the window. You can potentially buy an Attack on turn 1 and play it on turn 2 before the first shuffle. I can see this card shaking a lot of games up.

Do players have the option to not overpay? At $3, it's a good deal for a cantrip +Buy/+virtual money. If I just want that, do I still need to pay @0 and gain a card that costs $0? And if so, what happens if I pay @2 instead?

players do have the option to not overpay ("When you buy this you may take up to ...")  - i tried to keep it similar to Market Square when played, hence why it's a $3 and its virtual coin only works against Debt. I'll try to rephrase to make it clear the debt overpay doesn't copper-junk you if you don't but normal overpay can't be $0 so please consider that precedent for the time being;

If you take debt that translates to a cost not on the board, you can do that, but you'll fail to find a proper target and just get whack debt for no benefit. play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 10:29:26 am by spineflu »

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: January 08, 2020, 06:20:54 pm »
+2

This is an oldish idea I put in the Really Bad Card Ideas thread, and I got feedback and now, here is the finished version. I hope it fits the theme.

Guild Admiral
$2+
Action-Command
+1 Buy
+1 Coffers
-------
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. If you do, set aside an Action card from the Supply costing the amount you overpaid, and at the start of your next turn, play it, leaving it there, then return it to its pile.

It's a good ol' overpay Band Of Misfits. (with the new errata wording of course.)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 04:48:05 pm by [TP] Inferno »
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: January 08, 2020, 06:46:47 pm »
+1

This is an oldish idea I put in the Really Bad Card Ideas thread, and I got feedback and now, here is the finished version. I hope it fits the theme.

Guild Admiral
$2+
Action-Duration-Command
+1 Buy
+1 Coffers
-------
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. If you do, set this aside, and at the start of your next turn, play an Action card from the Supply costing the amount you overpaid, leaving it there.

BTW, just got Guilds+Cornucopia for Christmas! Yaaaaaaaaay!
I don't think this needs to be a Duration - it's not in play when you buy it. Compare with Horse Traders.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: January 09, 2020, 12:50:29 am »
+1

Guild Admiral
$2+
Action-Duration-Command
+1 Buy
+1 Coffers
-------
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. If you do, set this aside, and at the start of your next turn, play an Action card from the Supply costing the amount you overpaid, leaving it there.

BTW, just got Guilds+Cornucopia for Christmas! Yaaaaaaaaay!
I don't think this needs to be a Duration - it's not in play when you buy it. Compare with Horse Traders.

It also needs some way to track how much you overpaid instead of expecting you to remember it for an entire round of play.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: January 09, 2020, 04:44:19 pm »

It also needs some way to track how much you overpaid instead of expecting you to remember it for an entire round of play.
Good points. The wording was a bit tricky, but I think I can tweak it to make it suitable.

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: January 09, 2020, 05:14:16 pm »
+5

Flea Market (Action, $5)

+$2
Play any number of Treasures from your hand. You may buy a non-Victory card from the Supply. If you do, you may overpay for it. Gain an extra copy of the bought card for each $1 you overpaid.

Perhaps you can get a bargain. Three Golds for $8? Maybe you want lots of terminal draw. This card can get you what you need quickly.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4410 on: January 09, 2020, 05:49:24 pm »
+2

Flea Market (Action, $5)

+$2
Play any number of Treasures from your hand. You may buy a non-Victory card from the Supply. If you do, you may overpay for it. Gain an extra copy of the bought card for each $1 you overpaid.

Perhaps you can get a bargain. Three Golds for $8? Maybe you want lots of terminal draw. This card can get you what you need quickly.

Neat. If you can make the balance work, this would feel much more natural as a treasure. You could trade "you may buy... if you do..." for "the next time you buy a card this turn..."; and not have to worry about text allowing you to play treasures.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Snowyowl

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #4411 on: January 09, 2020, 06:35:23 pm »

Flea Market (Action, $5)

+$2

Ooh, fascinating. Empty the Copper pile in a Gardens deck. Win the split on That One Card. Suddenly, $2 and $3 cards look very attractive, while $4 and $5 cards are probably a bit harder to get enough treasure for.

Unless you're playing this in a Colony game. Then all bets are off.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 06:40:05 pm by Snowyowl »

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4412 on: January 09, 2020, 08:12:21 pm »

Flea Market (Action, $5)

+$2

I like this too.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: January 10, 2020, 10:35:57 am »

Flea Market (Action, $5)

+$2

Kinda drooling over the idea of taking the half the copper pile by using the other half of the copper pile in a Counting House game.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: January 10, 2020, 01:49:20 pm »
+3

Here's my entry for the week. Feedback please, as usual, I'm sure it needs some tweaking:

FAQ: When you play a card from the Prison mat, it goes into play, and gets cleaned up when it normally would.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: January 10, 2020, 02:26:09 pm »
+2

@scolapasta - do you play the same card from the prison mat ($)X times, or do you play ($)X cards from the prison mat in any order? honestly either sounds really cool

Snowyowl

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #4416 on: January 10, 2020, 02:27:19 pm »
+1

+$1

Choose one: Set aside an Action card on your Prison mat; or you may play a Treasure from your hand, then pay all of your $ (including the $1 from this) to play a card from your Prison mat per 1$ you paid.
Set aside from where? Your hand? It seems a little weak, though it might be useful for lining up your combo pieces.

I'm amused at the interaction that you can send cards with a debt cost to prison, but you can never get them back out again. Life sentence!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 02:29:13 pm by Snowyowl »

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: January 10, 2020, 02:45:55 pm »
+1

@scolapasta - do you play the same card from the prison mat ($)X times, or do you play ($)X cards from the prison mat in any order? honestly either sounds really cool

The intention was X cards in any order. Maybe needs slight rewording?

+$1

Choose one: Set aside an Action card on your Prison mat; or you may play a Treasure from your hand, then pay all of your $ (including the $1 from this) to play a card from your Prison mat per 1$ you paid.
Set aside from where? Your hand? It seems a little weak, though it might be useful for lining up your combo pieces.

I'm amused at the interaction that you can send cards with a debt cost to prison, but you can never get them back out again. Life sentence!

Thanks, I missed the "from your hand" there. I'm not sure, however, what you mean by not being able to release debt cost cards? Nothing about the release depends on the cost of the imprisoned cards.

I wasn't quite sure about strength, which is where the tweaking might come in. But that's also why I priced this at $3. The idea is it doesn't do much (but maybe needs a little more?) while you imprison some cards, but then can release them in bunches, based on what you pay, in order to have some powerful combo turns. 

(it was inspired by the new expansion with delayed +1 Cards and the Exile mat*)

* I assume in the expansion, the Exile mat will be related to multiple cards, and not just one
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 02:56:54 pm by scolapasta »

Snowyowl

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #4418 on: January 10, 2020, 02:53:53 pm »
+2

Got it. I misread it the first time, and thought it released a card that cost $X.

That is very good for lining up combo pieces! Especially if they're terminals.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: January 10, 2020, 03:24:26 pm »
+1

The intention was X cards in any order. Maybe needs slight rewording?

"[...]; or you may play a Treasure from your hand, then pay all of your $ (including the $1 from this) and for each $1 you paid, play a card from your Prison mat."
?

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Contest #57: Fee for Service
« Reply #4420 on: January 10, 2020, 03:59:34 pm »
+1

EDIT: This is no longer my submission.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 03:11:14 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: January 11, 2020, 12:47:38 am »
+3

This is a card I designed previously, but fits the current contest rules, I believe.

Cloister

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #4422 on: January 11, 2020, 07:18:45 am »
+1

This isn't strong enough considering it doesn't do anything for a while.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #4423 on: January 11, 2020, 07:21:55 am »
+1

This isn't strong enough considering it doesn't do anything for a while.
Being an Action-Gold isn't what I would call not doing anything.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Contest #57: Fee for Service
« Reply #4424 on: January 11, 2020, 03:14:09 pm »
+4

Decided that I like this other new card I came up with better.

A Peddler variant that can Scheme a card (including itself) if you don't spend its . Might be too strong for .
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 20 queries.