Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546845 times)

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #4350 on: December 28, 2019, 11:14:24 am »

one quick clarification @grrgrrgrr - can it be a regular card or does it have to be a sideways card like object?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 11:19:33 am by spineflu »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: December 28, 2019, 01:43:52 pm »
+1

Pioneer
Types: Action
Cost: $4
+1 Action, +$1. Move your +1 Card token to an Action Supply pile. (When you play a card from that pile, you first get +1 Card.) At the start of Clean-Up, remove it from the Supply.
Looks weakish. A rough heuristic is to pick Pioneer as target for the +1 Card token but then it is weaker than Peddler. And if you pick another card, e.g. a village, you still needs several Pioneers/Coppers to activate the +1 Card thingy.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: December 28, 2019, 05:20:06 pm »
+1

Pioneer
Types: Action
Cost: $4
+1 Action, +$1. Move your +1 Card token to an Action Supply pile. (When you play a card from that pile, you first get +1 Card.) At the start of Clean-Up, remove it from the Supply.
Looks weakish. A rough heuristic is to pick Pioneer as target for the +1 Card token but then it is weaker than Peddler. And if you pick another card, e.g. a village, you still needs several Pioneers/Coppers to activate the +1 Card thingy.

No. This is SUPER SWINGY. Play Pioneer to put +1 Card on Village, play Village as Lost City, play another, play another, play Pioneer to put +1 Card to Smithy, play Smithy as Hunting Grounds, play Smithy as Hunting Grounds,  ...

Yes, you need to have Pioneer in hand, but moving +1 Card token multiple times in one turn is horrible. Needs once per turn clause like mine, or another trick.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: December 28, 2019, 07:03:37 pm »
+1

one quick clarification @grrgrrgrr - can it be a regular card or does it have to be a sideways card like object?

Regular cards are definitely eligible.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: December 28, 2019, 07:29:42 pm »
+1

Archaeologist
$5 Action - Looter
+1 Card, +1 Action.
Gain a ruins, putting it in your hand.
You may play an action costing $3 or less.
-
When you gain this, you may put your +1 Action, +1 Card, +$1, or +1 Buy token on the ruins pile.
The first two of these you buy are weak, but once you buy four of them, you'll have all four tokens on your ruins pile which should make them pretty strong.

Posting the entry now. I might do a mock-up later so it looks nice.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 07:34:56 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: December 28, 2019, 07:58:02 pm »
+1

Archaeologist
$5 Action - Looter
+1 Card, +1 Action.
-
When you gain this, you may put your +1 Action, +1 Card, +$1, or +1 Buy token on the ruins pile.
The first two of these you buy are weak, but once you buy four of them, you'll have all four tokens on your ruins pile which should make them pretty strong.

I quite like this. I suspect it might get strong from the get go unless it gets affected by the variable top card of ruins? I mean does it only apply if the ruins card played is the same as the top card?

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: December 29, 2019, 12:48:21 am »

Archaeologist
$5 Action - Looter
+1 Card, +1 Action.
-

I quite like this. I suspect it might get strong from the get go unless it gets affected by the variable top card of ruins? I mean does it only apply if the ruins card played is the same as the top card?
No, the tokens affect all the cards in the pile. See the rule here: http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Adventures_tokens

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: December 29, 2019, 12:58:23 am »
+3

Archaeologist
$5 Action - Looter
+1 Card, +1 Action.
-

Just after gaining one of these, you can put your +1 Card token on the Ruins pile and your Archaeologist will be strictly better than a Laboratory on-play (since the Ruin can be played freely, it's a net +2 Cards, +1 Action, plus the Ruins effect). And with just two Archaeologists gained, the Ruins become either:
A free Laboratory (Ruined Library)
A free Village (Ruined Village)
A free, reaction-less Market Square (Ruined Market)
A free Peddler (Abandoned Mine)
Or a free mini-cartographer (Survivors). I think Archaeologist is way too strong for just . (And note this is assuming you use your +1 Card and +1 Action tokens first. You can move the tokens in any order, so Archaeologist is actually strictly better than that.)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 01:00:24 am by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: December 29, 2019, 08:12:42 pm »
+1

I'm still umming and aahing about the cost. But I've improved the effect while mildly weakening the attack. However it now has the problem of obliging people to keep track of which of the two tokens it "moved" and I'm assuming you can move a token to the same pile it was on (counterintuitively).

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: December 30, 2019, 11:08:12 am »
+1

I'm still umming and aahing about the cost. But I've improved the effect while mildly weakening the attack. However it now has the problem of obliging people to keep track of which of the two tokens it "moved" and I'm assuming you can move a token to the same pile it was on (counterintuitively).

can you edit the previous post with a link to this one and make it clear that the previous post isn't the finalized entry?

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4360 on: December 30, 2019, 11:58:15 am »
+7

Shipwright
$4 Action
Choose one: Gain a card costing up to $3; or put your -$2 cost token on an Action Supply pile. (Cards from that pile cost $2 less on your turns, but not less than $0.)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 11:59:42 am by Gazbag »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: December 30, 2019, 04:46:57 pm »
+1

Whatever1
$6 Event
Move your +$1 token to a non-Action Supply pile. (When you play a card from that pile, you first get +$1.)

Whatever2
$5 Event
Move your +1 Buy token to a non-Action Supply pile. (When you play a card from that pile, you first get +1 Buy.)

I don't know, the second one is probably sound but the first one could be broken. For example in a Baker Kingdom and 5/2 , you could open with it and convert all your Coppers into Silvers.
The main idea here is obviously to counterbalance the heavy engine bias of Adventures.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Contest #56: What's Your Next Adventure
« Reply #4362 on: December 31, 2019, 05:40:24 pm »
+2

All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: January 01, 2020, 01:56:00 pm »
+1

My attempt to reuse the Estate token:

Reinvest
$5 D3 - Event
Set aside a non-Command Action card from your hand. If you did, move the Estate token on it. If you had removed the Estate token from some card, move that card to the discard pile.

v 1.1. Renamed and added an illustration
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 09:46:43 pm by grep »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: January 02, 2020, 09:15:33 am »

changing my entry to Carnival

Carnival • $4 • Project
Move your + Buy token to an Action pile
(When you play a card from that pile, you first get +1 Buy).
When you buy a card from the pile your + Buy token is on, +2 Buys.

Modular buy splitter. If Seaway is around, you can change what splits your buys.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4365 on: January 02, 2020, 01:40:31 pm »
+1

Time to say "24 hours left".

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #4366 on: January 02, 2020, 02:45:33 pm »
+3

Forest Path
$5 - Action
+1 Buy
Choose one: +$2, or put your -$2 cost token on a Supply pile. (Cards from that pile cost $2 less on your turns, but not less than $0.)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 08:58:40 pm by Something_Smart »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #4367 on: January 03, 2020, 03:42:11 am »

When you Hear a lion roar, well let’s just say in real life you usually drop what your doing and react to it until after it’s roar has ended. But definitely not during the roar.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 03:48:35 am by ClouduHieh »

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: January 04, 2020, 06:19:22 am »

I will finish the judging this evening (European time). Feel free to post ideas until then.

Abel_K

• Scout
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #4369 on: January 04, 2020, 09:12:27 am »

Merchant Wharf.  Action-Attack-Duration. Costs $5

+1 Action
Put your +1 Buy token on an Action pile. If you buy this Action this turn, put it aside. If you don't, the other players take their -$1 token
At the start of your next turn, play the eventual aside Action, then choose 2 different : +1 Card +1 Action  +$1.
When you discard this from play, remove the +1 Buy token.

Well, my proposition is late, and it's a pity because i'd like to have time and discussions for perhaps balance it better.
The first turn is weak, the second rather strong, but is that worth $5 ?
Vanilla bonus at first and/or 2nd turn can be changed, for example...

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4370 on: January 04, 2020, 01:38:08 pm »

Rewording suggestion for Merchant Wharf:

+1 Action
Move your +1 Buy token to an Action Supply pile. If you buy an Action from that pile this turn, set it aside. Otherwise, each other player takes their - token at the start of Clean-up.
At the start of your next turn, play the set aside Action, then choose two: +1 Card; +1 Action; or +. (The choices must be different.)
-
When you discard this from play, remove your +1 Buy token.

This way, it's more in-line with official cards and easier to read and understand.

Abel_K

• Scout
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: January 04, 2020, 02:50:37 pm »

Thank you very much !
Obviously more clear (and "in-line"  ;) )
I tried to make shorter to avoid too small lines (one could tell me to design less complicated cards !)

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: January 04, 2020, 08:31:04 pm »
+1

Adventurer's Village
$4
Action
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Flip over your Journey token (it starts face up). If its face up, +2 Cards, +1 Action, +$1.

Its a cheap level 3 City with its bonuses split.
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: January 05, 2020, 02:51:04 am »

Adventurer's Village
$4
Action
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Flip over your Journey token (it starts face up). If its face up, +2 Cards, +1 Action, +$1.

Its a cheap level 3 City with its bonuses split.
Looks OK. It is on average a Worker Village with 1/2 less Action and 1/2 more Coin.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4374 on: January 05, 2020, 09:16:59 am »
+2

Ok, judging time.

Tramway by NoMoreFun
This is a really nice way of using your -1 card token. Tramway+Smithy is a slightly more reliable version of Village+Smithy. When you don't undo the -1card token, you can have some actions and some Coffers, but your next hand is gimped. Like it a lot. A $4 price would've been probably better though.

Pioneer by Fragasnap
This could work as a $6 cost, as it is basically a Peddler+ when drawn with another Action card. Being able to move your +1 Card token mid turn is a scary feat, but it really needs to connect probably in order to be that impactful. And using your +1 Card token on a card that appears once isn't super impressive (but not bad either)

Clownpiece by Majiponi
I'd love to see Diadem as a regular Kingdom card, but I'm afraid this is going to be on the broken side. You have to consider that Smithy variants are not the only viable targets for Lost Arts; turning nonterminals into villages is also a very good use of the event. Spamming villages is going to make it a little too easy to make this produce lots of money, especially considering it is nonterminal action card. It'd work better as a Treasure.

Archaeologist by LibraryAdventurer
Very very very broken. After four purchases, ruins are going to be absolutely amazing. I mean, Abandoned Mine becomes a free Grand Market for crying out loud. Getting there shouldn't be difficult in 2P: the card itself is a cantrip and, afer two purchases, Ruins aren't going to be a hindrance either and Archaeologist becomes a superior Lost City. Not sure how to balance it; getting rid of the ability to gain ruins to the hand and to play $3 costs would be a start I suppose. Right now, it's probably superior to The Forbidden Card: Superlab.

Usurper by somekindoftony
Not sure if I want an attack to be this expensive. The attack is definitely interesting; it's a Torturer that takes longer to to become a thread, but can become even more oppressive when it's stacked and the victim doesn't bring enough variety into the deck. The trashing token isn't going to be any meaningful when Ruins overtake the deck, and the +1 Card token elevates the price too much. Interesting concept, and you should definitely play with this idea in future contests.

Shipwright by Gazbag
This card is nice if you want several copies of a singular $5 cost, but can be rather slow since it requires to move your first -2$ token before you can get your first copy. For getting $4 components, it is horrible. On the flip side, being able to move your -2$ token on play is a strong feat on its own. Very had to judge whether it's broken or underpowered (the latter is definitely not the case on Seer boards), but it looks solid.

Whatever1/2 by segura
Two submissions at once is not allowed, but I will comment regardless. Donald has a sound reason to not allow the Coin token or the Buy token on treasures. Enabling the coin token on Copper would be clearly ridiculous, and enabling it on Silver or Gold would make it too automatic as well. Whatever 2 fares extremely poorly in comparison to Seaway, as that card actually makes you gain a card. Enabling the Buy token on Copper would be extremely busted with Gardens, too.

Fairy Forest by Gubumb
We don't need more Smithy variants, and this one doesn't seem to bring much on the table. The ability to be screwed over by Delusion or War is probably reason enough to consider it inferior to any Smithy variant (including Smithy itself) for engines. For Money, the situation isn't much better, as Envious can be extremely annoying. Receiving boons is cute, but most are fairly superfluous, and receiving one in two plays is probably already balanced at $5; we don't need a bad version that gives hexes.

Reinvest by grep
A bold move to not include a once-per-game clause. Needs playtesting to see if it is necessary. Comparing to Inheritence, it can be activated earlier as part of the price is in Debt. And being able to use $5 costs is a plus, too. At the same time, it seems rather clunky, as ensuring to hit $5 with a specific target in hand can be painful. It is a neat attempt at giving Inheritence a brother, but ultimately, I doubt if this is going to bring too much on the table.

Carnival by spineflu
This one compares poorly to Seaway (especially since it's a Project), and tying a "Modular buy splitter" effect to a +Buy token doesn't sound like a good idea. Don't get me wrong, a modular buy splitter can be cool, but it is much better to make it the on-buy effect of a specific card. Your idea is broken with Pedler: if both players move their +Buy token to Pedler, then the first player to play 4 actions can deplete the entire Pedler pile in one turn, while the other player is stuck with a useless +Buy token he can't even move. To be honest, I like your original nom a lot better, though that one was flawed as well.

Forest Path by Something_Smart
On face value, this looks pretty horrible, as it's a Woodcutter that cost $5 that can do something else. But woodcutters are helpful at depleting the pile with the -2$ token on it. And on turns you move the -2$ token, it could be essentially equivalent to +$4, +1 Buy, which is nice. Playtesting needs to determine if this card is good enough (it's almost certainly not broken), but I think it will be on the weak side (though certainly not Harvest-tier weak).

Lion by Clouduhieh
I don't like that the non-attack portion is completely identical to Haunted Woods. And the attack portion seems not to be something that alters the path to victory, but rather just needlessly drags out the game. The ability to dodge Reactions seems kinda cool, but is ultimately a way to make a card extra wordy for something that is not that strong or common to begin with.

Merchant Warf by Abel_K
Thanks to Gubumb for providing a readable version of this card. It is still unnecessarily convoluted and the use of either or the tokens seems completely artificial to me. It also raises questions to what happens when you play multiple Merchant Warves, or when you buy Seaway after buying a card with the +Buy token. If you wanna finetune this card, please consider a Cargo-Ship like approach (no idea if it is balanced):
+1 Action
Once this turn, when you gain an Action, you may set it aside face up (on this). At the start of your next turn, play that card and then then choose 2 different : +1 Card +1 Action  +$1.

Adventurer's Village by [TP] Inferno
Mmm, I'm not convinced this is balanced at $4. Mass buying this still provides a good amount of +Actions, +Coin and +Buy without reducing your handsize. The thing that keeps City from being overbearing is the First Mover problem. This card doesn't have that at all.

Final result:
Winner: Tramway by NoMoreFun
Runner-up: Shipwright by Gazbag
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 20 queries.