Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1541843 times)

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #4075 on: November 19, 2019, 01:21:10 pm »

I totally disagree. If you take a quick look at the other cards in this very contest, you realize that none of them are strictly better than Curses in order to make the decision non-trivial.
Which decision? The decision to include them at the start of the game? Most heirlooms are strictly better than Copper, but that doesn't mean anything because you don't ever choose heirloom or Copper during the game.

I can see why it might not be preferable, but I personally don't think anything's wrong with it. I guess we'll have to see what NMF thinks.
Also, your card in and of itself, i.e. without he negative VPs, is pretty decent. It is probably a $3 and in many engines likely preferrable to Woodcutter. So we don't talk about some moderate form of improved Curses like Ruins (in which case your notion of a straightforward Curse substitute would have more merit) but a decent Action card.
I think its value can vary significantly, to the point where you might want to buy one if it's the only +Buy. It's definitely stronger when there are cheap cantrips like Hamlet, but it makes it really hard to buy expensive cards without self-junking, so I probably wouldn't price it at $3 without the -1 VP. Maybe $2. But regardless cursers still have bite because you almost never want to play more than one of these in a turn.

(In all honesty I wish this challenge had been "design a new junk card" rather than "design a card with the curse type," but you work with what you have.)

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1413
    • View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: November 19, 2019, 01:41:26 pm »

I totally disagree. If you take a quick look at the other cards in this very contest, you realize that none of them are strictly better than Curses in order to make the decision non-trivial.
Which decision? The decision to include them at the start of the game?
To take Curses or Curses 2.0. Perhaps I wrongly assume that both piles are in the game but that simply seems far more interesting than a straightforward Curse substitute (and as already mentioned, mosts card in this thread work well as extra instead of just substitutes as they are not strictly better than Curse).
Both ways lead to scaling issues but that is simply because alt Curses are messy no matter what.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: November 19, 2019, 01:45:56 pm »
+2

It's ok for a curse mod to be strictly better than Curse, but I think you would want it to be as close to curse's power level as you can possibly get it so that weak cursers like Soothsayer stay competitive with other cards of equal cost.  Given that I'd probably prefer to see Haunted Shop as a Night - Duration with only the second play effect.
-2 VP with the same effect would swing too far in the other direction, most of the time I think it'd make cursers significantly stronger.

FANATIC - $3 Action - Duration - Curse
At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game: +$1.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
-2VP
I love this one, it's such a clever end run around "use becursed platinum but you can trash it later" designs that have been around since forever.  You can't trash it if it's in play! 

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: November 19, 2019, 02:11:25 pm »

Without wanting to take anything away from Kudasai's great card, the idea is not totally new. This is a design by GeneralRamos and underneath is my adapated version of the idea of a Hireling-esque card with negative VPs.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2107
    • View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: November 19, 2019, 03:50:18 pm »
+1

Winner
Slave by grrgrrgrr

Runner Up
Fanatic by Kudasai

Full feedback to come later

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #4080 on: November 19, 2019, 05:48:44 pm »
+3

And so contest #52 is on its way, the 1st year anniversary!

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: November 19, 2019, 05:54:59 pm »
+1

Nice. Congrats grrgrrgrr!
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: November 19, 2019, 06:10:20 pm »
+2

Without wanting to take anything away from Kudasai's great card, the idea is not totally new. This is a design by GeneralRamos and underneath is my adapated version of the idea of a Hireling-esque card with negative VPs.

It certainly felt like an idea that has been done before. Thanks for confirming! Also, was your version meant to have the Curse type?

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: November 20, 2019, 03:26:45 am »
+2

Yaaaaay!  :) :) :)

Anyway, the next challenge will be:

CHALLENGE #52: DRUID NEEDS SOME COMPANY
Design a card whose effect differs per game. From the already-existing cards, Druid and Black Market would be eligible.

EDIT: Young Witch and Obelisk would qualify as well.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 05:09:27 am by grrgrrgrr »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: November 20, 2019, 04:05:58 am »

It certainly felt like an idea that has been done before. Thanks for confirming! Also, was your version meant to have the Curse type?
No, I did not want to delve into that but of course it makes the entire thing more interesting. That's the beauty of your card, it implies a tricky trade-off in games with Cursers and in games without!

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: November 20, 2019, 04:54:36 am »

Design a card whose effect differs per game. From the already-existing cards, Druid and Black Market would be eligible.
Ooh... Tricky one. Uhh, let's see. How about this:

Metropolis
$10*
Action
+1 Card
+3 Actions
+1 Buy
+$1
-------
This costs $1 less per Treasure on top of a pile in the Supply that isn't an Action.

FAQ: For split and varied piles like Knights or say, Gladiator/Fortune, refer to the top card of the pile. This counts Copper, Silver and Gold. Capitalism does not change the cost of this card. Empty piles don't change the cost either. have I covered everything?

So basically it's a nice engine component that is only spammable if there are less Action cards in the Supply.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 05:07:13 pm by [TP] Inferno »

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: November 20, 2019, 04:58:47 am »

Also, would Young Witch count? I mean, the Bane card varies each time it is included...

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: November 20, 2019, 05:09:59 am »

Also, would Young Witch count? I mean, the Bane card varies each time it is included...

It does. Edited in the OP.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: November 20, 2019, 05:24:17 am »

Owl
cost $5 - Action - Attack
+2 Cards
Each other players receives one of the set-aside Hexes, your choose (leaving it there).
Setup: Set aside the top 3 Hexes face up.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: November 20, 2019, 07:15:20 am »
+2

Design a card whose effect differs per game.

With a Cozener you can get access to some services you wouldn't have access to otherwise. Similar to Black Market, but different, in that the Event you bought will still be available for other players to buy.

Cozener, Action, $3
+$2. You may discard one of the Cozen events and draw a new one from the Event deck. (Shuffle discards if the deck is empty.) Play any number of Treasures from your hand. You may buy one of the Cozen events, even if you have Debt tokens.

Setup: Make a deck of unused Events, not following setup instructions. Turn over two initial Cozen events from that deck.

There are 34 official Events, so the typical Event deck would have 32 to 34 cards (if playing with all the cards). The only official Event with a setup instruction (that will be ignored) is Tax. It's possible some future Event card will be meaningless if its setup isn't done. Then so be it.

Some events are extra good when you get to buy them during your Action phase, like Alms. I like that the Event you bought will still be available afterwards. (Of course you can play a second Cozener to switch it out.)

Changes Nov 24:
  • Now you get to turn up a new Cozen event before you play Treasures
  • Now you can buy a Cozen event even if you are in debt
  • Don't explicitly say that you should use all unused Events for the deck, but be less specific (like Black Market)
  • Discard instead of putting cards at bottom.
The previous version is here.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 02:45:37 am by pst »

forkofnature

• Steward
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: November 20, 2019, 11:49:00 am »

This is a little wack but what the hey, I think it fits the challenge

Errata/FAQ (subject to correction):

- You can't trash an empty pile.
- If no appropriate Kingdom card exists, the first pile gets trashed with no replacement.
- Regardless of how many cards were in the trashed pile, the new pile comes with all 8/10/12 cards.
- A split pile can replace a trashed pile that costs the same as the top card of the split. (For example, Swindler can turn into Gladiator/Fortune.)
- A split pile is replaced by a card that costs the same as the topmost trashed card. (For example, Gladiator can turn into Swindler, but Fortune can turn into Peddler.)
- This totally ignores potions and debt. University can turn into Embargo and vice versa; same with Vineyard and Overlord.
- This takes cost adjustments into account. However, global adjustments like those from Bridge are usually moot. (For example, Laboratory with your Ferry token on it can turn into Village, but not Market.)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 01:42:42 pm by forkofnature »

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1363
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: November 20, 2019, 01:04:48 pm »
+1

This is a little wack but what the hey, I think it fits the challenge

Errata/FAQ (subject to correction):

- You can't trash an empty pile.
- If no appropriate Kingdom card exists, the first pile gets trashed with no replacement.
- Regardless of how many cards were in the trashed pile, the new pile comes with all 8/10/12 cards.
- A split pile can replace a trashed pile that costs the same as the top card of the split. (For example, Swindler can turn into Gladiator/Fortune.)
- A split pile is replaced by a card that costs the same as the topmost trashed card. (For example, Gladiator can turn into Swindler, but Fortune can turn into Peddler.)
- This totally ignores potions and debt. University can turn into Embargo and vice versa; same with Vineyard and Overlord.
- This takes cost adjustments into account. However, global adjustments like those from Bridge are usually moot. (For example, Laboratory with your Ferry token on it can turn into Village, but not Market.)

Would the trashed pile count toward endgame conditions?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

forkofnature

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: November 20, 2019, 01:16:30 pm »

It's not supposed to. I thought replacing the pile before end of turn covered that but I suppose the old pile is still an empty pile in a larger kingdom. I'll have to reword somehow.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 01:19:00 pm by forkofnature »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: November 20, 2019, 01:25:04 pm »
+3

It's not supposed to. I thought replacing the pile before end of turn covered that but I suppose the old pile is still an empty pile in a larger kingdom. I'll have to reword somehow.

Probably better to just go with a new keyword like "replace" rather than trying to work with the existing trash mechanic. Trashing a whole pile is a new thing anyway.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

forkofnature

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: November 20, 2019, 01:40:57 pm »
+2

Probably better to just go with a new keyword like "replace" rather than trying to work with the existing trash mechanic. Trashing a whole pile is a new thing anyway.

The tricky thing is if you completely obliterate a pile what happens when you need to return one of its cards to the supply? That I supposed could be answered in FAQ, but I think I have a simpler solution:

« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 03:04:30 pm by forkofnature »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2107
    • View Profile
« Reply #4095 on: November 20, 2019, 05:46:27 pm »
+3

« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 11:49:39 pm by NoMoreFun »

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: November 20, 2019, 05:54:55 pm »

Metropolis
$10*
Action
+1 Card
+3 Actions
+1 Buy
+$1
-------
This costs $1 less per Treasure pile in the Supply, but not less than $2.

FAQ: For split and varied piles like Knights or say, Gladiator/Fortune, refer to the top card of the pile. This counts Copper, Silver and Gold. Capitalism does not change the cost of this card. Empty piles don't change the cost either. have I covered everything?

So basically it's a nice engine component that is only spammable if there are less Action cards in the Supply.

Interesting card! I think this would be more interesting if it did interact with Fortune when it is revealed and Capitalism when bought. It technically does as worded, so you'd need to add some extra text. This probably will get wordy very fast.

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: November 20, 2019, 05:58:02 pm »

EDIT: Young Witch and Obelisk would qualify as well.

How about cards with a Setup that has changes to the card that players choose? The card could be different each game, but only if the player wishes it.

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: November 20, 2019, 07:38:02 pm »

Metropolis
$10*
Action
+1 Card
+3 Actions
+1 Buy
+$1
-------
This costs $1 less per Treasure pile in the Supply, but not less than $2.

Interesting card! I think this would be more interesting if it did interact with Fortune when it is revealed and Capitalism when bought. It technically does as worded, so you'd need to add some extra text. This probably will get wordy very fast.
But then it would be pretty broken with Capitalism... a $2 megamarket that you dont need actions to play... oh wait, then it would pretty much just turn into a Market. But still. Ill edit the OP.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: November 20, 2019, 08:02:03 pm »

I'm misreading Metropolis somehow I guess, if Fortune is revealed by Gladiator in a 10 action game, I thought the cost of Metropolis would drop from 7$ to 6$.

Similarly with that interpretation the probability of having 6 treasure cards in the same kingdom is so low that the minimum value rule wouldn't be worth the text space.

I tried reading it as the value of the treasure on top then tried reading it the number of treasure cards that aren't covered up except covering up treasures with treasures doesn't matter, I've tried everything, can't get the same numbers.
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 20 queries.