Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1541959 times)

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #4000 on: November 11, 2019, 09:27:17 am »
+1

Three-cards Monte. Costs $5
Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck.
- If they are all different, discard them,  and + $3. The other players gain a Ruin
- If they are not, take in hand the similar cards. +1 Action

Some ideas :
- this card interacts with itself : if you're attacked and gain Ruins, you have more chances to get 3 different cards.
- you can try two strategies completely different : collecting various cards (1st effect) , or multiply buys of few cards , to take advantage of the second effect.

It seems to me balanced, but perhaps it is not at all !
You may want to give the +1 Action regardless (think of Tournament as your comparison) - would you play it knowing it could be your last action?
You may also want to rephrase for the edge case where someone uses these to draw their deck (since it's a super-lab/super-cultist, that's entirely possible) - if you draw no cards, are all the cards different?

maybe something like:
+1 Action.
Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. If you revealed 3 different cards, discard them, +$3, and all other players gain a Ruins. Otherwise, put the revealed cards in your hand.

The Magpie effect as Project. Not as good as Piazza (which is the equivalent of +1 Card and +1 Action) but cheaper.
I think this might be under-costed; the reason Piazza gets away with a $5 pricetag is you've got to also buy actions to use with it, meaning it's generally not bought until your action density is high enough for it to hit - money density's high at the beginning of the game anyhow. This is a no-brainer buy during your opening, doubly so if the other project is Silos.

You could also make it do a weird thing and play the treasure (a la Piazza) for some fun interactions with Quarry, Royal Seal, Crown, and some antisynergy with Fortune, Bank, Horn of Plenty, Spoils, Magic Lamp, Cursed Gold, and Diadem.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 09:47:29 am by spineflu »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4001 on: November 11, 2019, 09:41:48 am »
+1

You may want to give the +1 Action regardless (think of Tournament as your comparison) - would you play it knowing it could be your last action?
You may also want to rephrase for the edge case where someone uses these to draw their deck (since it's a super-lab/super-cultist, that's entirely possible) - if you draw no cards, are all the cards different?

Drawing your deck is not really an edge case.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Abel_K

• Scout
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: November 11, 2019, 10:32:09 am »
+1

- If they are all different, discard them,  and + $3. The other players gain a Ruin

Some ideas :
- this card interacts with itself : if you're attacked and gain Ruins, you have more chances to get 3 different cards.
- you can try two strategies completely different : collecting various cards (1st effect) , or multiply buys of few cards , to take advantage of the second effect.

maybe something like:
+1 Action.
Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. If you revealed 3 different cards, discard them, +$3, and all other players gain a Ruins. Otherwise, put the revealed cards in your hand.

Thanks for your feedback.
- Don't you think that the +Action is  too strong for the first case ? TCM becomes a super-cultist now, no ?

- " if you draw no cards, are all the cards different?"...oups, I didn't think of that case. My idea is that is a third case in this card, so that risks to become a bit wordy... ("if you reveal less than 3 cards, +1 Action, and put them in hand")
- your proposition 'forgets' the concept of "similar cards" , that is important for me in that card : if I systematically put in my hand 3 cards + Action, it is an hyper-card, no?

So, something like :

Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. If you revealed 3 different cards, discard them, +$3, and all other players gain a Ruin. Otherwise, +1 Action, put the revealed similar cards in your hand, or all the cards if you revealed less than 3[/

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: November 11, 2019, 12:58:44 pm »

Some ideas :

maybe something like:
+1 Action.

Thanks for your feedback.
- Don't you think that the +Action is  too strong for the first case ? TCM becomes a super-cultist now, no ?

- " if you draw no cards, are all the cards different?"...oups, I didn't think of that case. My idea is that is a third case in this card, so that risks to become a bit wordy... ("if you reveal less than 3 cards, +1 Action, and put them in hand")
- your proposition 'forgets' the concept of "similar cards" , that is important for me in that card : if I systematically put in my hand 3 cards + Action, it is an hyper-card, no?

So, something like :

Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. If you revealed 3 different cards, discard them, +$3, and all other players gain a Ruin. Otherwise, +1 Action, put the revealed similar cards in your hand, or all the cards if you revealed less than 3
yeah that looks good.

Abel_K

• Scout
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: November 11, 2019, 02:09:47 pm »
+1

Let's go then...

2nd Version

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #4005 on: November 11, 2019, 03:35:38 pm »
+1

Judging in a few hours!

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: November 11, 2019, 03:51:41 pm »
+1

Late entry (I'm sure it needs tweaking, but I think it has some potential):

Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +491
    • View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: November 11, 2019, 05:30:59 pm »
+1

Submission

Clairvoyant - Action ($3)
Name a card. Reveal up to 4 cards from your deck. If you revealed exactly one copy of the named card, put all the revealed cards into your hand. Otherwise, put one of them onto your deck and
discard the rest.

Clairvoyant will be tricky to use, but in early game it’ll excel at drawing cards you know you only have one copy of (or at worst case will help you cycle towards it). The problem is that it’s termianl so, naming an action card won’t help. Naming a silver you purchased T1 or T2 could work great. In mid game, it becomes a lot harder to let you draw cards unless you know what’s in your deck very well. A previously played clairvoyant can help with that — put a card you don’t have many copies of on top of your deck!

Definitely open to feedback on this one. Took me a while to come up with an idea I liked, so didn’t have time to make the graphic yet.

FlyerBeast

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: FlyerBeast
  • Wide and Torturous
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: November 11, 2019, 06:35:18 pm »
+1

Hope I'm not too late! No worries if I am!

Preacher
$4 Action
-
+$1
Reveal any number of cards from your hand, then reveal the top card of your deck. Either trash all the revealed cards, or discard them.

I'd imagine this works well right at the beginning of the game, then progressively gets riskier to play but potentially more rewarding if you have a hand fulla' curses. Sort of like a safer Lookout, I suppose.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: November 11, 2019, 07:19:01 pm »

Hope I'm not too late! No worries if I am!

Preacher
$4 Action
-
+$1
Reveal any number of cards from your hand, then reveal the top card of your deck. Either trash all the revealed cards, or discard them.

I'd imagine this works well right at the beginning of the game, then progressively gets riskier to play but potentially more rewarding if you have a hand fulla' curses. Sort of like a safer Lookout, I suppose.

It's way, way too powerful. Chapel is already one of the best cards for trashing 4, but this card trashes 5 and gives money! Also I notice the reveal effect is rather swingy for a chapel-style card - if you reveal your opening buy turn 3 you're at a huge disadvantage.

You could make a cool card out of this idea if it only trashed 1 card at a time.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 07:22:08 pm by pubby »

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: November 11, 2019, 08:38:18 pm »
+1

Belfry by Fragasnap
This is pretty cool, but I feel like the cases where it will draw anything other than a Treasure are very unlikely-- it may trash itself to draw necessary actions in the endgame, or it may trash Ruins, but beyond those, trashing Estates will probably net you nothing and trashing Coppers may net you some coin, kinda like a non-terminal Moneylender. It seems the primary strength is just the ability to non-terminally trash cards. I would play it if there weren't a better trasher on the board, but I probably wouldn't count on it for anything other than trashing. I don't think the cost is that off but it maybe should be priced at $4 to prevent people from opening double Belfry.

Dismiss by Aquila
This feels very abusable if you can find some way to get Golds in your deck without getting Silvers. If the only treasures in your deck are Coppers and Golds, assuming you have a Copper in hand when you play this, it's a double Peddler which is insane priced at $4, Villagers notwithstanding. Less troubling is the strategy where you buy nothing but Dismiss and some other terminal you'd like to play every turn (Mountebank, Wharf, Pirate Ship, etc.) and every hand with two Dismisses nets you a copy of your other terminal. It's a neat idea in the vein of Hunting Party, but as a trade-off for not increasing handsize you get massive control over what it finds. I think this ought to cost $5, at least.

Young Envoy by majiponi
This pretty much seems like a Smithy variant that wants an engine rather than big money. Seems pretty good in an engine, too, especially one with a bunch of non-terminals that it can draw, or one with powerful terminals that you only want one or two of, since you're very unlikely to miss those. Definitely pretty strong for a $4.

Cavern by mail-mi
Probably plays out very similarly to Envoy, if you assume the fifth card you would have drawn is a Silver which probably provides about as much coin as the discarded card. I do like that the opponent has to think a little harder than they do with Envoy, but I don't think this plays out that differently for the player. This might just be strongest in Big Money where it's just +4 Cards -$1 (assuming you reveal a Copper or Silver which both give you -$1 if discarded), better than Smithy if your money density's over $1/card but this is a $5 so that's justified. Not a card I'd fall in love with, probably not even one I'd usually play, but that's just my style. If played in an engine, it probably works best with $4 engine parts which provide the same coin as $5's when discarded but are way easier to get.

Herdsman by mandioca15
An anti-Hunting Party. Cute. Seems like it kinda snowballs in engines where the more of your deck you draw the more this will draw you, which is neat I guess as it probably requires another terminal draw (or a Lab, I suppose) to get off the ground. It's a lot more inconsistent, though. If I could stick with a conventional +Actions/+Cards engine with this on the board, I probably would. This does seem good in games where you're flooding yourself with a certain Treasure, though (Bureaucrat/Jack/Amulet/Trader/Lucky Coin, for instance).

Racketeer by spineflu
It feels unsatisfying to get all the cards that aren't of the type you're focusing on. That's my first instinct. If you play this in an engine, you're probably naming Action, making it probably dead (to you) or maybe drawing you a Treasure or two if you're lucky. If you play it in Big Money, you name Treasure, and again it's completely dead to you. While the attack is very strong, I understand why there are very few official attacks that give no benefit at all to the person who played them. Even if I did well with this card, I wouldn't feel I was doing well-- I would just feel my opponent was doing badly. You can use it as a Smithy, of course, but then it's just an expensive Smithy.

Florist by Frolouch
I think you've underestimated how good VP chips are, especially from a non-terminal card. Monument is terminal and gives you a single VP chip; this is non-terminal and in a deck built around it can easily give you 3 or 4. I can just imagine a nightmare scenario of a deck-drawing engine that uses something like Vault to discard all its Victory cards and then draws them all back with Florist, multiple times per turn, for 10+ VP's per turn while not changing the game state at all. This should cost at least $5, probably $6, so it's harder to spam them, but I don't see that alleviating the above problem, only making it slower to set up.

Farm Cellar by NoMoreFun
I like this, though I'm having a hard time to determine if it's appropriately priced. I feel like it must be, because a cantrip Cellar that's also sometimes a Lab has to be at least $5. This seems fantastic in slog-like games such as Curser-heavy ones, especially without trashing. However I feel like the price would probably prevent me from taking it in any other type of game, just because there are other $5's that would probably benefit my engine or Big Money more. It's also a cute counter to Fortune Teller and Rabble (and Bureaucrat and Ghost Ship, sort of).

Convulsion of Nature by pubby
This is definitely something I would pick up with a spare $2 without a better $2 buy, but I can't say it would make much of a difference in most games. Oracle/Wishing Well combos are obvious and extremely powerful, Vassal/Doctor/Pawn/the like might benefit somewhat, but most cards that draw, I'll be playing anyway whether or not I know what's on top of my deck. Jester/Swindler/Knights and other top-deck-targeting attacks would actually make this negative utility. Overall kinda funny, but probably not interactive enough for my liking.

Drift by DEGwer
This is just asking for people to make golden decks. Pretty much any board with a trasher and a +Buy can be used to make a 5-card deck that generates $12 with 2 buys, and buys a Province and a Drift, rinse and repeat. Beyond that, I guess it allows you to green earlier, which is cool but not that game-changing as you also have to spend some turns buying Drift. It neuters Cursers, to the point where I probably wouldn't play all but the strongest Cursers (Mountebank for instance would still be appetizing, but most probably wouldn't be worth allowing my opponent to nab 2VP for just $4).

Impressment by grep
This looks a lot like Elder... :o except instead of being terminal draw when it misses, it's a Workshop. This seems like the type of card that loves absolute cantrip spamming; it can gain more copies of itself, so eventually you can just flood your deck with them and with other cantrips, crossing your fingers for those moments when your Impressment reveals two actions and becomes a Lost City. This is cool, except that I don't really see another viable way to play this card, other than an expensive Workshop replacement in a makeshift Workshop/Gardens rush. Noting too that a Workshop (0 actions revealed) is better than a cantrip (1 action revealed), this seems like the only way to use its full strength is to spam your deck with actions and hope you get lucky.

Sawmill by [TP] Inferno
This is cool. Once again I'm drawn to the Gardens strat where you gain a Gardens unless you reveal a Victory card in which case you gain another Sawmill. But it works in an engine too... kinda. Your engine's not gonna love all that Silver. I feel like the best use of this is probably in an extremely strong engine where you can already draw most or all of your deck without too much trouble. With enough non-action cards in your deck, this can probably hit a decent balance of gaining you engine parts versus gaining you Silvers when you do hit an action. This seems like the type of card I'd buy and then regret, and then wonder how I could set things up to make it work. A lot of depth there, for sure.

Servants' Quarters by TheAgileBeast
Can I play this with pubby's Convulsion of Nature, hehe. Free points for people with more homogeneous decks? Encourages Big Money or a mono-engine like Lab, I guess. Makes all deck inspectors stronger (Sentry, Cartographer, Courtyard, Apothecary, even Scout). Beyond that, makes a very tight endgame kinda funny (if I buy this last Province I'll lose, unless I 360 noscope the top card of my deck...) but probably not satisfying for either player.

Mad Scientist by artless
Feels abusable, but I don't think it is. Just really swingy. Probably only good if you can get rid of starting Coppers (Estates are less likely to be a concern). Ideally, I'd want to use this in an engine where both parts are the same cost, because I'd much rather get a village and a terminal draw from this than two villages or two terminal draws. In most other scenarios, I don't think I'd ever pay $5 for it, honestly.

Ship Launch by segura
Funnily enough, I was reading about Renaissance today, and discovered that DXV tried this idea:
Start of turn, reveal top, +1 Card if Treasure. Some people liked this one. A runner-up.
I feel pretty similarly to that about it. I think it pushes you more toward a boring money strategy, but not that far, and otherwise it just will randomly give you extra cards. It's very unlikely that you could control this as you'd have to get a Treasure exactly 6 cards down at the end of your turn, but that's true of Piazza too, I think Piazza's just more interesting because the bonus is something you control by picking what actions are in your deck, rather than just plus some money.

Three-Cards Monte by Abel_K
A whimsical looter that junks at a very leisurely pace. If you can nix your Coppers (and maybe Estates) and make it so this thing only hits duplicates when it's a duplicate of an action you actually want, this seems very strong. The looting attack is certainly strong enough (compare with Cultist, which is better when you can chain it but way worse when you can't), and I think getting the Lab effect to not get stuck on Coppers would make this a very powerful, albeit unreliable, engine card.

Surveyor by scolapasta
This needs a clause for what to do with the other revealed cards, since I think DXV has intentionally avoided making people remember the order cards were in when revealed off your deck. Other than that, it pretty much just seems like a +1VP (or 2 if you're lucky) with some cycling that's mitigated by missing some shuffles. It's not clear what happens if you reveal multiple Victory cards, but I think you would get 1VP for each, because although Surveyor is discarded after you get the first VP, the other triggers were on the stack and still get resolved because the Victory card was revealed while it was still in play? Needs some rewording, I think. Other than that, feels pretty hard to control. Likely a good supplement to any sort of alt-VP strategy, otherwise probably too slow.

Clairvoyant by anordinaryman
Ooh, push your luck. Seems really good for a $3, given that it sifts if it fails to hit. I would probably always go for 4 cards, especially in an engine where if I miss I can put the card I really want to draw next to help keep my engine going even if I don't get the ridiculously strong +4 Cards effect. I think this needs to be at least $4, probably $5 (maybe with the failure condition buffed a bit, like discard any number and put the rest back in any order).

Preacher by FlyerBeast
This doesn't feel all that different from Chapel, honestly. The +$1 is very unlikely to help; the +1 Card will help, but you'll probably be trashing all your starting cards without much trouble anyway, and it's mitigated by the risk of revealing your other opening buy off your deck. Lategame this is a terminal Copper that may trash a card or two (revealing a Copper is risky lategame), not all that great, but better than the mostly dead Chapel at least. Is this worth $4? Probably, but I don't see games with it playing out that differently from Chapel games.

Winner: Sawmill by [TP] Inferno
Runner-up: Three-Cards Monte by Abel_K

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: November 11, 2019, 09:10:01 pm »
+1

Congrats [TP] Inferno!

Racketeer by spineflu
It feels unsatisfying to get all the cards that aren't of the type you're focusing on. That's my first instinct. If you play this in an engine, you're probably naming Action, making it probably dead (to you) or maybe drawing you a Treasure or two if you're lucky. If you play it in Big Money, you name Treasure, and again it's completely dead to you. While the attack is very strong, I understand why there are very few official attacks that give no benefit at all to the person who played them. Even if I did well with this card, I wouldn't feel I was doing well-- I would just feel my opponent was doing badly. You can use it as a Smithy, of course, but then it's just an expensive Smithy.

I mean, you'd probably name the cards you don't want more than action/treasure - you name "Ruins", or "Curse" or "Victory", you get to sift past the cards you don't want in your hand anyways and draw the rest.

FlyerBeast

• Ambassador
  • Wide and Torturous
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: November 12, 2019, 06:24:34 am »

Congrats [TP] Inferno, a very elegant card!

I've thought again about my card and I agree with all the comments on it. I think it would be a lot more interesting as:
Preacher
$4 Action
-
+1 Card
Reveal any number of cards from your hand, then reveal that number from your deck. Either trash all the revealed cards, or discard them.
EDIT: Okay, this might still be grossly overpowered in the early game?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 06:27:22 am by FlyerBeast »

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: November 12, 2019, 10:01:40 am »
+1

I mean, you'd probably name the cards you don't want more than action/treasure - you name "Ruins", or "Curse" or "Victory", you get to sift past the cards you don't want in your hand anyways and draw the rest.
Yeah that's true, I should have written about that possibility too... didn't want to be working on that post all night, you know.

I think the attack is probably strong enough that it's worth naming something that's likely to hit. Imagine naming Victory, hitting one Victory card, and making your opponent gain a Copper... and compare that to Witch. I guess if your intent was to use it as a Smithy that sometimes attacks, it does that pretty well, but the unreliability might get annoying (especially for the opponent). I do like it more today than I did yesterday, after thinking about it, though.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: November 12, 2019, 10:14:18 am »

Yeah that's true, I should have written about that possibility too... didn't want to be working on that post all night, you know.

I think the attack is probably strong enough that it's worth naming something that's likely to hit. Imagine naming Victory, hitting one Victory card, and making your opponent gain a Copper... and compare that to Witch. I guess if your intent was to use it as a Smithy that sometimes attacks, it does that pretty well, but the unreliability might get annoying (especially for the opponent). I do like it more today than I did yesterday, after thinking about it, though.
yeah, no worries, judging posts look like a beast to make, especially collecting all the post-hyperlinks.

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: November 12, 2019, 07:37:47 pm »
+1

Wow. I honestly didn't expect to win. As I stated before, somebody else do the judging, please. But without further ado:

Challenge #51: There's A Curse On You!!!
Design a custom Curse card. *gasp*! This will probably be a bit difficult. Rules are:
  • All submissions must have the Curse type and be worth negative VP. Cards that award -VP tokens or something similar aren't justified in having the Curse type (like Monument isn't a Victory card)
  • Submissions shouldn't be just an undercosted card with a VP penalty, see rinkworks' article on that. Try and come up with an interesting way to make it work.
If there's anything more I need to add, let me know.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 07:40:05 pm by [TP] Inferno »
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: November 12, 2019, 08:10:58 pm »
+1

I think Abel_K gets the honors of being the judge then, since they were runner up?

I went simple on this one. Yeah, this'll make the estates run out fast if there's a cantrip curser, but it can also de-junk a bit. You may even want to buy one if there's no other trashing in the game!  On a subtler note, this also has a higher-than-zero cost to allow you to use it with TfB cards.
For clarity, included the setup note that you're using these instead of the stock Curses.

Actually no i wanna do something weird and do the Ruins variant i've been kicking around. To h*ck with simple. Someone else can do simple.

Curses that mess stuff up before you even get them. Revolutionary.
Ten of each, shuffle 'em together, same deal as Ruins as far as setup goes. I included the randomizer which has the setup instructions.

Boor • $2 • Night - Cuss - Curse
While this card is in the top card of its supply pile, when you trash a card, trash the top card of your deck as well.
-
Trash a card from your hand.
-
-1%
Cur • $2 • Night - Cuss - Curse
While this card is in the top card of its supply pile, Gold produces $2 instead of $3.
-
-
-1%
Heel • $2 • Night - Cuss - Curse
While this card is in the top card of its supply pile, at the start of each turn, trash a non-Night card costing between $3 and $6 from the supply (the player whose turn it is chooses which card to trash).
-
Trash a card from your hand
-
-1%
Rake • $2 • Night - Cuss - Curse
While this card is in the top card of its supply pile, if you have more than 4 cards and it's not your turn, discard until you have 4 cards.
-
-
-1%
Cretin • $2 • Night - Cuss - Curse
While this card is in the top card of its supply pile, when you play a card that causes you to draw more than one card, draw one card instead.
-
-
-1%
Above the first line is what it does while it's showing in the supply,between the lines is what is does when you play it.

Errata:
  • Draw-to-X bypasses Cretin; Likewise cards that reveal-and-then-put-into-hand (Scrying Pool, etc).
  • Rake happens immediately (in the event of Soothsayer/Council Room)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 08:44:13 pm by spineflu »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2107
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: November 12, 2019, 08:51:28 pm »
+1

What are the play/setup rules around cards like this? Are they cards in the supply that also have the Curse type, meaning they can be voluntarily gained instead of the -1 VP curse we know and love? Or do you want us to make a card that replaces the curse pile?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 08:52:31 pm by NoMoreFun »

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: November 12, 2019, 09:15:53 pm »
+1

Either is fine, I think.
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

herw

• Golem
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: November 13, 2019, 01:16:05 am »

[...]
Challenge #51: There's A Curse On You!!!
Design a custom Curse card. *gasp*! This will probably be a bit difficult. Rules are:
  • All submissions must have the Curse type and be worth negative VP. Cards that award -VP tokens or something similar aren't justified in having the Curse type (like Monument isn't a Victory card)
  • Submissions shouldn't be just an undercosted card with a VP penalty, see rinkworks' article on that. Try and come up with an interesting way to make it work.
[...]

finally - waiting for this since months :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 05:49:54 am by herw »

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #4020 on: November 13, 2019, 04:29:09 am »
+1

Lazy Patrol
cost $4 - Action - Curse
+3 Cards
Reveal the top 2 cards of your deck. If you reveal any Curse cards, put them into your hand, and +1 Action. Discard the rest.
---
-2VP

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: November 13, 2019, 06:03:17 am »
+3

I spent some time working on a fan expansion with custom Curses called Dominion: Accursed.  A problem with Curses is that there is no way to determine if existing cards that refer to "Curses" are referring to the Type "Curse" or the card named "Curse."  Dominion: Accursed sidesteps the issue by instead replacing the cards called Curse in name and type as follows:
In games using any cards from Dominion: Accursed, replace half of the Curse pile with Jinxes and the other half with one of Curios, Heretics, or Wastelands. These cards are both part of the same pile and can be gained or bought in any order.
Jinxes, Curios, Heretics, and Wastelands are as follows:

Jinx
Types: Curse, Reaction
Cost: $0
-1VP
When you gain a Curse, you may discard this. If you do, +2 Cards.
Curio
Types: Treasure, Curse
Cost: $2
$1, +1 Buy.
-2VP
Heretic
Types: Action, Curse
+2 Actions
-2VP
Wasteland
Types: Curse
-2VP
When you gain this, gain a card costing up to $4 that isn't a Curse or Victory card.
The idea is two-fold.
1) By replacing the Curse pile with two different kinds of cards with different functions, players can respond more flexibly to cards that might give them Curses.  Cursing cards are usually very high priority, but slower Cursers might be less valuable due to the Curses themselves not being nearly as detrimental.
2) By having two types of Curses, we can design cards that care about and use Curses in different ways. While not every card in the set needs to explicitly reference Curses, we can have more cards that function around them because the behavior of Curses is both less punishing to general deck composition and overall less one-note.
For example, here are some cards from Dominion: Accursed

Sepulcher
Types: Victory
Cost: $3
3VP
When you gain this, gain a Curse. If you do, set this aside. Return it to your deck at the end of the game.
Sepulcher functionally gives fewer VP than is printed in order to gain one of the functions of the alternate Curses for positive VP. Additionally you can trash the Curse and maintain the Victory points of Sepulcher.
Hedgewitch
Types: Action, Attack
Cost: $4
+2 Cards. Each other player gains a Jinx. If no-one does, trash this.
When you gain or trash this, you may return a Curse from your hand to the Supply.
Hedgewitch is a weaker Curser. It can only deal half as many Curses to other players because it refers specifically to the always-present Jinx cards.  Hedgewitch goes on to be a response to the Cursing itself, where trashing it (via its on-play effect or otherwise) or gaining it can be used to reload other Hedgewitches.
Succubus
Types: Action, Attack
Cost: $5
+1 Action, +$3. Gain a Curse, putting it into your hand. You may trash a non-Curse card from your hand.
Succubus offers a possibly large source of payload with tempo-trashing at the cost of gaining Curses. You might leverage a Curse like Curio once in order to make Succubus +$4 and +1 Buy, or Heretic for +2 Actions and +$3.  Other times you might fashion a deck that can trash the Curse as you gain it.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

FlyerBeast

• Ambassador
  • Wide and Torturous
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: November 13, 2019, 06:51:22 am »
+2

Rotten Egg Basket
$3 Curse-Reaction
---
-4 VP
-
When you would gain a Curse, you may gain this instead. If you do, reveal cards from your deck until you reveal 2 cards named Curse. Return the revealed Curses to the Supply and discard the rest.
Just like putting all your eggs in one basket- you can bundle your Curses up into one slightly more Curse-y card and (hopefully) trash it later!

Errata: I was considering adding a Setup rule to add an extra Curse-giving Attack to the kingdom to make up for the potentially wasted space, but decided that was way too wordy.

Avoiding letting it return itself to the Supply was a problem and has made the wording a little weird too, I'd appreciate feedback on how to make it a bit simpler!

EDIT: fixed the text to match the card image (it said -3VP)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 12:18:53 pm by FlyerBeast »

herw

• Golem
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread #51
« Reply #4023 on: November 13, 2019, 07:40:34 am »
+2

Curse is a shady card. So variants of it has to be shady too. Basic curse is bad for you, when you have to gain it, but good for your opponent if he wants to slow the game (mostly for you ;) ).
So i want to create a curse card which is more twilight: it should be bad and beneficial. I don't want to create a new rule mechanism. It should be easy to understand and it should cooperate with many cards. It should be attractive without a curser too. Trashers are useful, but do you really want to trash a loophole or a breath? Maybe or not - your decision.
It is a kingdom card and you can play it. There a several methods to play a curse: an action-curse, treasure-curse or night-curse. I choose an action-curse.
The main idea is that you can choose a path, best is to choose a path as traveller. So the starting card is an action-curse-traveller card.
Following travellers are treasure-traveller cards and the last one is a Treasure-victory (!) card. But it is shady too, bad and beneficial.
The trick is that you always can decide if you want to stop or continue. It is a shady decision at start, middle game and end game. Would you like to buy two Dark Paths at your start and later with crossroad? It is a shady curse-big-money-strategy. Although Jungle, Crossroad and Loophole are no curses i have choosen a treasure-curse banner for better counting at the end of game.
Here it is:

Dark Path
Types: Action - Curse - Traveller
cost : $0
-2 VP

+1 Action

When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a jungle.

Jungle
Types: Treasure - Traveller
cost: $3*
-2 VP

$3

When you discard this from play, you
may exchange it for a Crossroad.
(This is not in the Supply.)

Crossroad
cost: 4*
-3 VP

$4
+1 Buy

may exchange it for a Loophole.

Loophole
cost $5*
-4 VP

$5

may exchange it for a Breath.

Breath
Types: Treasure - Victory
cost: 6*
2 VP

$6
Trash this.

(This is not in the supply)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 09:33:33 am by herw »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: November 13, 2019, 09:20:48 am »

Rotten Egg Basket
$3 Curse-Reaction
---
-3 VP
-
When you would gain a Curse, you may gain this instead. If you do, reveal cards from your deck until you reveal 2 cards named Curse. Return the revealed Curses to the Supply and discard the rest.
Just like putting all your eggs in one basket- you can bundle your Curses up into one slightly more Curse-y card and (hopefully) trash it later!

Errata: I was considering adding a Setup rule to add an extra Curse-giving Attack to the kingdom to make up for the potentially wasted space, but decided that was way too wordy.

Avoiding letting it return itself to the Supply was a problem and has made the wording a little weird too, I'd appreciate feedback on how to make it a bit simpler!
Is it supposed to be -3VP or -4VP? the image and description don't match.

Dominion: Accursed sidesteps the issue by instead replacing the cards called Curse in name and type as follows:
In games using any cards from Dominion: Accursed, replace half of the Curse pile with Jinxes and the other half with one of Curios, Heretics, or Wastelands. These cards are both part of the same pile and can be gained or bought in any order.

To clarify, for a full six-player-ready set, you'd have 25 of each type?

Dark Path
Types: Action - Curse - Traveller
cost : $0
-2 VP

+1 Action

When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a jungle.

Jungle
cost: $3*
-2 VP

$3

may exchange it for a Crossroad.

Crossroad
cost: 4*
-3 VP

$4
+1 Buy

may exchange it for a Loophole.

Loophole
cost $5*
-4 VP

$5

may exchange it for a Breath.

Breath
Types: Treasure - Victory
cost: 6*
2 VP

$6
Trash this.

(This is not in the supply)

This is a super cool idea but i've got a couple reservations about it -
  • Should it really jump to gold right away? Especially with Dark Path being non-terminal, all you've really got to do is not dead draw it from a smithy or something to be able to get a Jungle, which is an upgrade in every way; You may want to consider having them be $2 -> $2 +1 Buy -> $3 -> $4 Trash this Return this to the supply, which would make them a little more even-keeled (ie, if you wanted to play with the biggest money, you wouldn't just buy curses right away)
  • How many of each card should there be in a two, three, ... , six player game?
  • You've got a naming conflict (Crossroads exists) and a typo in the card for Crossroad (on its exchange line) - if you need a new forest-y name, maybe "Thicket" or "Copse"?
  • Likewise, i think there's a translation issue with "Loophole" and "Breath" - the physical phenomenon of a loophole as opposed to the conceptual phenomenon, which is usually for legal/rules-related things is a man-made thing (like an arrow slit in a tower) rather than something that exists in a forest; I'd suggest "Grove" and "Glade", respectively for what I think you're getting at with those.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 09:43:02 am by spineflu »
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 20 queries.