Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1556730 times)

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1352
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #3350 on: August 28, 2019, 10:12:38 am »

Treasure Map that gains an engine piece rather than Gold, to kinda try and bring the experience into the engine meta. Handsize increase won't be so good for connecting the Volumes up so going for it won't always be a strong move. It should be worthwhile often enough though. +Action on Volumes lets you remove them if they didn't connect up in good time, but hoarding them until they connect becomes a possibility. And draw to 6 may be too tame compared to 4 Golds.

Are you open to feedback on this?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 11:13:04 am by spineflu »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1433
    • View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: August 28, 2019, 11:25:14 am »

Pennymonger
Cost: $4
Type: Action

+2 Cards
+1 Action

Gain a Copper.
————————————
When you gain this, you may put it into your hand or onto your deck (instead of to your discard pile).

As a self-junker this might have missed the spirit of the challenge. A fairly vanilla card. I first thought about gaining the Copper to your hand but this is probably too strong and without anything extra the card is too weak (consistent play makes this behave like Peddler, i.e. the extra card you draw into is a Copper, but the deck bloating makes this worse than Peddler).
Hence the idea to buff it via optionally gaining it to your hand (which makes sense if you gain it via Workshop or Remodel variants) or onto your deck. I included the second option as a consolation price if you buy the card (in a non-Villa Kingdom).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 01:41:56 pm by segura »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: August 28, 2019, 12:09:29 pm »

Middleman • $3 • Action - Reaction
+1 Action
Gain a Silver
-
When another player gains a card costing $4 or more, you may reveal this and set it aside. At the end of their turn discard this, then for each card they gained during their turn, gain a Silver.

this might be underpriced.
This looks slightly weaker than Treasure Hunter and I don't think that Treasure Hunter as a Kingdom card could cost more than $3.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: August 28, 2019, 12:16:50 pm »

Absolutely, I'll always miss out on design points going with just my viewpoint so I appreciate any feedback. I try to cover positives and negatives to help give an accurate first impression, not to deter feedback.

So to be fair:

+1 Action
Gain a Silver
-
When another player gains a card costing $4 or more, you may reveal this and set it aside. At the end of their turn discard this, then for each card they gained during their turn, gain a Silver.

It's very similar to Treasure Hunter (semi ninjaed here), differences being: in 3+ player games you can choose your target player; there are no accumulative chains where the last player's gained Silvers count as this looks for $4+s; your reacting may influence the player's decisions later during their turn, whereas there's no easy countering to TH; and there's no Page to play first. TH is better at hoarding masses of Silver overall.
I also think the top could be better. You're getting exactly the same if you react anyway, so something different would add more. Hard to tell if it should be terminal or not, and hopefully it wouldn't detract from this being a mono gainer if it didn't gain Silver.

Pennymonger
Cost: $4
Type: Action

+2 Cards
+1 Action

Gain a Copper.
————————————
When you gain this, you may put it into your hand or onto your deck (instead of to your discard pile).
The balance looks convincing, and it has several meaningful uses that lab doesn't have like giving tfb fodder, gardens rush or boosting next turn. I don't see many downsides, it's a good one.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: August 28, 2019, 12:55:32 pm »

Encyclopedia looks very weak.  If you gave both the Volumes the stash ability I think I'd still ignore it and just buy a Walled Village, buy a Smithy, and collide them to buy a Patrol.  Then if you ask me if I want to exchange my Smithy, Village, and Patrol for the Library+ and a Native Village (Purchased in place of Patrol) I shake my head.
Ok, maybe I don't, that might be a close call.
But that's the "stash ability" case and handsize reduction village availability case and yet it's so close to call.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +738
    • View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: August 28, 2019, 01:38:39 pm »

My entry this week* is from my Worshippers cards. As a reminder Worshippers are tokens that allow you to trash:
At the start of your Clean-up phase, you may remove tokens from this to trash a card from your hand or one you have in play for each token removed.

So here are Congregation and Blessing:

A possible tweak (making it stronger) is to change Blessing to work on any of your trashed cards:
"When you trash a card not from the Supply, you may call this to gain a card costing $2 more than the trashed card. Return this to the Blessing pile."

* I may change this to something completely different, but I wanted to at least get an entry in this week since I've effectively missed the last 3 weeks (I had one entry, but it was half baked and last minute)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 01:55:13 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: August 28, 2019, 04:33:15 pm »
+1

Absolutely, I'll always miss out on design points going with just my viewpoint so I appreciate any feedback. I try to cover positives and negatives to help give an accurate first impression, not to deter feedback.
Gain the Encyclopedia to the hand.
The "draw to six" thing isn't super strong but that turn that you gain it, you'll have a big swing from dropping a couple Volumes *and* bc the Volumes are non-terminal, you'll be able to play it instantly.
Fixes your "is this worth it to go for" problem without changing much else about the card.

So to be fair:

+1 Action
Gain a Silver
-

It's very similar to Treasure Hunter (semi ninjaed here), differences being: in 3+ player games you can choose your target player; there are no accumulative chains where the last player's gained Silvers count as this looks for $4+s; your reacting may influence the player's decisions later during their turn, whereas there's no easy countering to TH; and there's no Page to play first. TH is better at hoarding masses of Silver overall.
I also think the top could be better. You're getting exactly the same if you react anyway, so something different would add more. Hard to tell if it should be terminal or not, and hopefully it wouldn't detract from this being a mono gainer if it didn't gain Silver.
There's still accumulation chains, it just needs a single $4+ to trigger. Their gained $4+ card doesn't need to be the first card gained to count towards the silver gaining.
I agree the top can be better though. Maybe "+1 Action, +1 Villager" (drop the "gain a silver") so he's a kinda-village.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
Re: Contest #42: Monogainer
« Reply #3357 on: August 28, 2019, 05:05:44 pm »
+1

Not sure if this counts. It can only gain one name of card per game (barring the edge case of Knights/Split Piles), but which card that is is decided per player and when you buy Campaign.

Version History:
v1.0: Original version.
v1.1: Changed type from Project to Event.
v1.2: Lowered cost from to and removed cost limit.

Uh, this is pretty strong with Remodel. You can put your Campaign token on Hunting Grounds and then start to remodel Hunting Grounds to Provinces (or even Provinces to Provinces).

Eminent Domain
Types: Project
Cost: $14
Now and at the start of each of your turns, put your hand on top of your deck in any order and gain a Province.

Isn’t that abusable with Guide?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 05:13:43 pm by King Leon »

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: August 28, 2019, 05:32:53 pm »

Hurray thanks for judging anordinaryman  :D

CHALLENGE #42 - MONOGAINER

A monogainer is a card-shaped thing that gains cards from exactly one named pile. Examples of monogainers are: Bureaucrat (gains Silver), Baron (gains Estate), Rats (gains Rats), Dominate (gains Province), Pillage (gains Spoils), and Tormentor (gains Imp). Cards that are not monogainers include: Workshop, Tournament, Black Market, Beggar, Count, and Rebuild, for these cards can gain multiple cards with different names.

The goal of this challenge is to design a monogainer. If needed, you may also design the card your monogainer gains.

The gained card must be of a single name and fixed per-game, but I will allow cards where the gained pile is randomly chosen at setup (a la Young WItch banes).

Should I assume gaining Wishes (or any similarly made fancard) is off the table as Wishes can then in turn gain any card costing up to $6?

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: August 28, 2019, 06:25:57 pm »

Merchant Village
cost $3 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
You may play a Merchant Village from your hand.
Gain a Merchant Village.
---
There are 20 copies of Merchant Village, rather than the usual 10.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 06:28:58 pm by majiponi »

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #3360 on: August 28, 2019, 06:31:48 pm »

Should I assume gaining Wishes (or any similarly made fancard) is off the table as Wishes can then in turn gain any card costing up to $6?
Wish gainers are allowed, but not ideal.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1681
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: August 28, 2019, 06:36:02 pm »

Merchant Village
cost $3 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Gain a Merchant Village.
---

This completely outclasses Market Square when there are no trashers.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10764
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: August 28, 2019, 07:24:30 pm »

Merchant Village
cost $3 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Gain a Merchant Village.
---

Beyond that, I’d say it outclasses Village and maybe Worker's Village as well. With the self gaining, it should be very common for them to collide multiple times per turn.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1973
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: August 28, 2019, 07:28:09 pm »
+2

Merchant Village
cost $3 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Gain a Merchant Village.
---

Lackeys completely outclasses Moat when there are no Attacks.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: August 28, 2019, 08:38:55 pm »

Merchant Village
cost $3 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Gain a Merchant Village.
---

Lackeys completely outclasses Moat when there are no Attacks.

Not nearly to the same degree, though.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: August 28, 2019, 09:07:32 pm »
+3

Here is my submission this week.  Curio Shop is a Workshop/Salvager mashup that can only gain or trash copies of one specific $5-cost card not in the Kingdom that is randomly assigned at the beginning of the game (similarly to Young Witch's Bane).  Unlike the Bane pile, the Curio pile is not in the Supply, making Curio Shop the only way to access those cards.  Of course, Curio Shop's value is largely determined by what the Curio is--if it's something like Lab, well then Curio Shop is a $3 Lab-gainer; if it's Explorer, well...  The Salvager option could mitigate the bad Curio scenario slightly, making it function sort of like a Death Cart payload card, (i.e. gaining and trashing junk for profit), but more likely you'll use that option in games with good Curios, to cash them in while greening once they're no longer needed. 

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: August 28, 2019, 09:45:20 pm »

Here is my submission this week.  Curio Shop is a Workshop/Salvager mashup that can only gain or trash copies of one specific $5-cost card not in the Kingdom that is randomly assigned at the beginning of the game (similarly to Young Witch's Bane).  Unlike the Bane pile, the Curio pile is not in the Supply, making Curio Shop the only way to access those cards.  Of course, Curio Shop's value is largely determined by what the Curio is--if it's something like Lab, well then Curio Shop is a $3 Lab-gainer; if it's Explorer, well...  The Salvager option could mitigate the bad Curio scenario slightly, making it function sort of like a Death Cart payload card, (i.e. gaining and trashing junk for profit), but more likely you'll use that option in games with good Curios, to cash them in while greening once they're no longer needed.

It would be amazing if the Curio just happened to be Fortress...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 09:51:29 pm by Gubump »

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +738
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: August 28, 2019, 11:04:15 pm »

Sadly, Fortress costs $4.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: August 28, 2019, 11:34:13 pm »

Sadly, Fortress costs $4.

Somehow, I missed the "costing " part of the setup.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: August 29, 2019, 04:42:20 am »
+1

Gain the Encyclopedia to the hand.
The "draw to six" thing isn't super strong but that turn that you gain it, you'll have a big swing from dropping a couple Volumes *and* bc the Volumes are non-terminal, you'll be able to play it instantly.
Fixes your "is this worth it to go for" problem without changing much else about the card.
I like this and have changed Volume accordingly, thanks a lot:

If Encyclopedia is too weak the draw can be bumped up to 7 cards. With the extra $ you get it'll be a fairly huge buff. As it is, played from a hand of 5 you get +2 Cards +1 Buy +$2, strong vanilla and a good baseline from which you can work to increase. If you get to empty hand it's practically a Province anyway. Still, it might be asking a lot of the kingdom to both support draw to X and connecting Treasure Maps so it's worth it to go up to 7.

So to be fair:
There's still accumulation chains, it just needs a single $4+ to trigger. Their gained $4+ card doesn't need to be the first card gained to count towards the silver gaining.
I agree the top can be better though. Maybe "+1 Action, +1 Villager" (drop the "gain a silver") so he's a kinda-village.
I meant how TH could gain Silvers for each Silver the previous player's TH got. Still, sorry to be confusing. The Villager top would be quite strange, as you want some Action density for it to work yet the Reaction gets Silvers.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: August 29, 2019, 05:18:50 am »

Merchant Village
cost $3 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Gain a Merchant Village.
---

Beyond that, I’d say it outclasses Village and maybe Worker's Village as well. With the self gaining, it should be very common for them to collide multiple times per turn.

Fmm... this is a Village only when two collide. In 20-card deck, how reliable? This is not worth $4. Enormous Buys aren't so great.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: August 29, 2019, 09:04:13 am »

Hey pubby
coud we do a mixed pile (2 named cards, randomly ordered) that each gain the other card in the pile if its available? Would that qualify for the contest?

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: August 29, 2019, 09:45:33 am »
+1

Hey pubby
coud we do a mixed pile (2 named cards, randomly ordered) that each gain the other card in the pile if its available? Would that qualify for the contest?
I'll allow it.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: August 29, 2019, 10:25:43 am »

Merchant Village
cost $3 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Gain a Merchant Village.
---

Fmm... this is a Village only when two collide. In 20-card deck, how reliable? This is not worth $4. Enormous Buys aren't so great.
I totally disagree. Due to the unconditional self-gaining this would be a very powerful $4, perhaps even stronger than Port.

A simple nerf would be conditional self-gaining, e.g. "You may play a Merchant Village from your hand. If you did not, gain a Merchant Village." That could still be too strong for $4 but at least it is not totally crazy anymore.

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: August 29, 2019, 12:16:43 pm »
+1

Here is my submission (there are 20 in the pile)

I know Donald X. has said that Rats is his favorite card (that was said some time ago, I don't know if it still is). It's one of my favorite as well. There's something so great about the finesse that's required to play a card like that. On the one hand you want to play a bunch of them and gain a bunch them to tfb, on the other hand, you can't let rats overrun your deck. With that in mind, I've always wanted to make a card that fits in that idea. Here is what I came up with. It's a self gaining lab, but you have to be careful about playing too many of them or you'll destroy the rest of your turn (make sure to keep the riot under control).

1) Just to preempt any discussion about price, keep in mind that when it comes to self gainers, a higher cost actually makes the card a more worthwhile buy (would you buy rats if it cost $2?). You only buy it once, but you'll can tfb it multiple times.

2) The bottom part applies to all cards that you play (actions, treasures, night), but only when you play them (so calling a reserve would work).

I have to ask the community for advice on 2 things:

1) The copper clause has a bit of history. First there was no clause. But then I felt it would too punishing to play your first riot and the barrier would be too great since you often play a couple of coppers each turn in the early game. So then I specifically excluded copper. But then I realized you could buy one copper (to have 8 ) and a riot and just play a bunch of riots and play 8 coppers and get a province. So then I made it that copper costs 3 more if you have a riot in play, but realized it could be abused with tfb like farmland or remodel. So finally this is what I have.

I'm wondering if anyone has a better way to word it (especially if you could combine both parts under the line).

2) I was debating adding a little bonus for trashing this (like rats). I was thinking maybe +1 action or you may trash a card. Do you guys think it's good as is, or should I add a bonus (and which one)

Thanks

Update: Fixed Copper issue below line
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 09:29:31 pm by naitchman »
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 20 queries.