Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1541996 times)

Frolouch

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #2000 on: May 22, 2019, 04:49:36 pm »

Scoundrels:

What does "+$2 for each other player on their next turn" mean?
Also, this should probably be an attack (it also doesn't need a line break).

I agree the wording isn't correct/ideal, but I think I understood the intention without an issue. Should probably be:

"While this is in play, at the start of each other player's turn, they get +."

The problem is, it's weird to have a duration-effect that depends on your choice; you have to remember on opponent's turns if you chose that option or not. I don't know if there's a good way to do that.

Also, welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the advice! I see the issue.. Well I'm going to change my entry to a simpler card.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread #30: debt
« Reply #2001 on: May 22, 2019, 05:09:56 pm »
+1

I've gone in with the creative use approach:

It makes use of debt carrying over to your next turn.
It's a tricky thing to use, either a high skill card or a mess.
Edit: new Action version.

Scoundrels:

What does "+$2 for each other player on their next turn" mean?
Also, this should probably be an attack (it also doesn't need a line break).

I agree the wording isn't correct/ideal, but I think I understood the intention without an issue. Should probably be:

"While this is in play, at the start of each other player's turn, they get +."

The problem is, it's weird to have a duration-effect that depends on your choice; you have to remember on opponent's turns if you chose that option or not. I don't know if there's a good way to do that.

Also, welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the advice! I see the issue.. Well I'm going to change my entry to a simpler card.
I'll add a note on balance you can keep in mind as well. You could open 2 of these, they're non-terminal so no fear of colliding them or adding more later, and they'd seriously shut down the opponents if you chose the debt option each time. Surely too influential and makes a slog of every game they'd appear in.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 03:33:12 pm by Aquila »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread #30: debt
« Reply #2002 on: May 22, 2019, 06:12:29 pm »
+3

I've gone in with the creative use approach:

Technically, there's no rule saying that Duration effects stop if they leave play; You can use Improve on a Duration card and still get its next-turn(s) effect, for example. Recompense should say "At the start of each of your turns that this remains in play:"
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 06:16:24 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Contest #30: Design a card involving debt
« Reply #2003 on: May 22, 2019, 06:15:59 pm »

EDIT: It now specifies that this occurs after cost-reduction, so cards like Bridge and Highway can still reduce cards' costs.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 07:27:22 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: May 22, 2019, 06:32:41 pm »

My intent is that cost reducers like Bridge and Highway still work to reduce the debt cost of all cards except those that normally cost debt. Should I specify that on this card itself?

As worded, one could just as validly conclude that cost-reducers still work, or not. It all depends on which effect you apply first. So yes, needs a way of clarifying that (and I don't know the best wording).
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: May 22, 2019, 06:51:04 pm »
+1

Blueprints
Type: Action
Cost: <7>

+1 Card
+1 Action
If you have no <>, you may gain a card costing up to $5. If you do: take <1>.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 07:03:53 pm by King Leon »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: May 22, 2019, 07:16:07 pm »

Monoculture:

I don't think this should have the Debt icons at the top corners. The top corners are only for how much the Treasure is worth.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: May 22, 2019, 07:26:59 pm »

Monoculture:

I don't think this should have the Debt icons at the top corners. The top corners are only for how much the Treasure is worth.

Given the format for all official Treasures so far, it should also say "when you play this, take <1> per differently named card in play." I'm not sure why Treasures need to specify that, but all official cards do.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: May 22, 2019, 09:05:20 pm »

Insurance
Project
Cost:
When you buy this, put a token on this. At the start of your turn, if you have no debt, +2 Cards, and remove your token from this. If you have a token on this, take debt equal to half the debt you currently have, rounded up.
I couldn't really think of a better name for this. Insurance doesn't entirely work, but whatever.
This project might be too strong, but the idea is that it costs on the surface, and I would be willing to change it if anybody has any better suggestions. +2 Cards was really just a placeholder, my main idea was the debt cost with interest.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: May 22, 2019, 09:07:15 pm »

This is a split pile with hostage on top.

Their fixed it -3 should even it out.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 01:19:38 am by ClouduHieh »

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2010 on: May 22, 2019, 10:07:53 pm »
+1

Hostage seems pretty overpowered. The only two Cursers in the official game are Sea Hag, which gives the person who played it no benefit, and Young Witch, which has a built-in cheap counter which is available from the beginning of the game and a weak additional benefit.

Hostage has a strong additional benefit (same as Witch), also gives out Debt, is immune to Reactions, and its built-in counter is expensive and probably not available until the Curses are gone anyway. -1 is not enough to make up for its strength.

Non-Hostage related, Ransom should be a Reaction (see Tunnel).
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: May 23, 2019, 01:55:11 am »
+6

CHALLENGE #30 SUBMISSION:

My last submission was said to be complicated and uninteresting. I guess I'll try uncomplicated and uninteresting this time.

Draw Bridge is essentially a very strong Double Highway as its cost reduction can effect 2 cards instead of 1. A card this strong probably can't be balanced with a Coin cost, so I've made this one a Debt cost. It's still a very strong card, but now it can't help gain itself very well and it's on play effects are next to worthless when you have debt. Players will need to time when their decks can reliably and quickly pay off their debt which also goes well with the overall timing theme of 8-cost Debt cards.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 02:37:47 pm by Kudasai »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: May 23, 2019, 09:42:34 am »
+2

CHALLENGE #30 SUBMISSION:

My last submission was said to be complicated and uninteresting. I guess I'll try uncomplicated and uninteresting this time.

At first I didn't like this, because hey it's just a slightly buffed Highway. But then I realized that it's own cost reduction can't help you get more of them, which gives it a really good reason to have a Debt cost. I like it.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: May 23, 2019, 10:07:22 am »
+1

Prophet
Edict (LastFootnote's idea)
Setup: Each player may take <1>. If they do, they put all starting cards into their hand, and put 5 cards onto their deck.

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: May 23, 2019, 01:09:25 pm »

Monoculture:

I don't think, this even needs Debt. Poor House has negative money, which would work here as well.

$5
When you play this,
+1 Buy
-$1 per differently named card in play. (You can't go below $0.)

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: May 23, 2019, 01:15:40 pm »

Monoculture:

I don't think, this even needs Debt. Poor House has negative money, which would work here as well.

$5
When you play this,
+1 Buy

Debt can make you lose more money than you have. Your wording can't.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: May 23, 2019, 02:18:31 pm »

Monoculture:

I disagree. Potion features a Potion on the top so what we actually see on the top is what a Treasure card produces.
This very card produces 5 Coins as well as a variable amount of Debt so it is not bad to show all parts of production on the top (unlike with Capital you also get the Debt immediately).

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: May 23, 2019, 02:27:34 pm »

A cheap lab variant that really hurts your payload. You can draw your deck for a cost!

herw

• Golem
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
Challenge #30: Design a Debt card (or card-shaped thing)
« Reply #2018 on: May 23, 2019, 02:31:42 pm »

Tollkeeper

« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 07:38:53 am by herw »

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: May 23, 2019, 02:44:34 pm »

Monoculture:

$5
When you play this,
+1 Buy

Debt can make you lose more money than you have. Your wording can't.

It does not require it. You would never play a Monoculture, if it gives you more debt than money (unless you are forced to do so because of Venture) and the +Buy is worthless as you can't buy anything, as long you have debt. You also never would play Poor House with more than three Treasure cards in your hand (edge cases: draw to X, Conspirator).
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 02:47:16 pm by King Leon »

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: May 23, 2019, 02:56:15 pm »

Monoculture:

I disagree. Potion features a Potion on the top so what we actually see on the top is what a Treasure card produces.
This very card produces 5 Coins as well as a variable amount of Debt so it is not bad to show all parts of production on the top (unlike with Capital you also get the Debt immediately).

But why does Ducat not say +1 Coffers in the corners then?

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: May 23, 2019, 03:03:18 pm »

As there is no icon for Coffers?
I am not arguing that the Debt up there is necessary, important or matching the way the official cards do it. All I am saying is that it is OK as a reminder that the very card you play also produces Debt.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 03:24:12 pm by segura »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: May 23, 2019, 03:31:15 pm »

If it is too strong, buy instead of gain is an obvious nerf. Note that this could be beneficial during your turn (when you spend less than you total) but also hurt you (when you have $10 and want to buy 2 $5s but are unable to due to the Debt that you incur between the two Buys)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 02:23:13 am by segura »

Frolouch

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: May 23, 2019, 03:33:55 pm »

Monoculture:

Debt and coffers are tokens, not treasures. So it made sense to remove the ? Debt on the top. The card submission has been updated with clearer language and a different cost:

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: May 23, 2019, 03:36:59 pm »

Debt and coffers are tokens, not treasures. So it made sense to remove the ? Debt on the top. The card submission has been updated with clearer language and a different cost:

Looks like a more expensive and weaker version of Capital now. I'd cut the Potion cost, it works against the anti-variety idea of the card (Potion is one extra, different card in your deck).
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.