Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1541834 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #1825 on: April 18, 2019, 02:26:39 pm »

Carve - $4

Trash this or a card from your hand. Gain a card costing exactly $1 more than it.

--

When you trash this, +1 Action.

----------

"It's better than Feast!" - not quite, shut up. "It's worse than Remake!" - not quite either, and don't we want most cards in between those two?

While this clearly does stuff that Remake can't do, it's hard to see how this isn't strictly better than Feast. The only thing you can do with Feast that you can't do with this is to trash it to gain a card costing less than , and it's a super-rare edge case that you would do that.

How about if it didn't allow gaining Victory cards?

Btw I'm out for this round, I couldn't think of something clever. Kudos to everyone who could.

Does it matter if a card is strictly better than one of the removed cards if it's a fun and balanced card in its own right? I guess it's up to the judge?

I mean, there's no actual rules for fan cards, but a general design principle that Donald has always stuck to is that no card is ever strictly better than another card. A card not being in second edition doesn't change that. So people are free to make strictly better fan cards all they want; but I think it's worth pointing out as a point of feedback.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: April 18, 2019, 03:45:44 pm »

Carve - $4

Trash this or a card from your hand. Gain a card costing exactly $1 more than it.

--

----------

"It's better than Feast!" - not quite, shut up. "It's worse than Remake!" - not quite either, and don't we want most cards in between those two?

While this clearly does stuff that Remake can't do, it's hard to see how this isn't strictly better than Feast. The only thing you can do with Feast that you can't do with this is to trash it to gain a card costing less than , and it's a super-rare edge case that you would do that.

Btw I'm out for this round, I couldn't think of something clever. Kudos to everyone who could.

Does it matter if a card is strictly better than one of the removed cards if it's a fun and balanced card in its own right? I guess it's up to the judge?

I mean, there's no actual rules for fan cards, but a general design principle that Donald has always stuck to is that no card is ever strictly better than another card. A card not being in second edition doesn't change that. So people are free to make strictly better fan cards all they want; but I think it's worth pointing out as a point of feedback.
To be fair, the card is not thronable, which is the typical use case for Feast.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: April 18, 2019, 04:08:18 pm »

Carve - $4

--

----------

To be fair, the card is not thronable, which is the typical use case for Feast.

Well I don't know if the wording is actually completely clear, but it seems throneable to me. It would depend on what "it" means when you choose to trash itself... when you choose to trash another card, "it" means "the trashed card". If you choose to trash itself, "it" probably means "this card", which means that the second time you play it, you fail to trash it, but still gain a card costing more; a card.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: April 18, 2019, 04:28:27 pm »

Carve - $4

--

----------

Right but for the purposes of making entries for this contest do people absolutely hate it if something is strictly better than a removed card? Do people not care at all? Do people not mind so much but prefer if it isn't? I'm just interested in people's opinions.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1413
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: April 18, 2019, 04:33:37 pm »

I am with GendoIkari on this. Woodcutter has been removed but it still sets a benchmark for Woodcutter variants. And Feast has not been removed because it was too weak but because it did not add enough to the game. Changeling is its spiritual successor and much more interesting.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: April 19, 2019, 01:52:22 am »
+3

First of all, I don’t have time to write something up about each entry, which makes me sad.  I love it when people do that! But I’ve had a crazy week with a new baby and fianls and work, and it just didn’t work out for me, so I apologize.
Good job on the entries! These were fun.  The top 3 for me are:
Tied for 3rd are Upcycle by RTT and Fireworks by NoMoreFun.  Dominion: Gunpowder has made a comeback, and it is glorious.  These cards seem like good openers, and a lot of fun to work with later in the game.  I thought they were creative and fun, although they are quite similar.
In 2nd is Offering by Gazbag.  It’s a bit wacky, but it is super fun and creative.  I’ll be honest, it’s hard to tell if it would be too good, not good enough, or just right, but I love the idea.

And First is Jubilee by Tejayes! I’ll be honest, I don’t think this is a power card, but it will have its niche.  This card will make for some interesting decisions.  It is hard to judge its power level, but the idea is awesome, and I think it really fits the one-shot theme.

Again, I'm really sorry if I didn't mention your card(s), which is a lot of you.  I really enjoyed many of them, even the ones I didn't mention specifically.

Udzu

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +147
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: April 19, 2019, 03:39:55 am »
+1

I am with GendoIkari on this. Woodcutter has been removed but it still sets a benchmark for Woodcutter variants. And Feast has not been removed because it was too weak but because it did not add enough to the game. Changeling is its spiritual successor and much more interesting.

Feast may not have been removed because it was too weak, but it could easily have been. Its last qvist rankings ranked it as the third weakest $4 card, ahead only of thief and scout!

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: April 19, 2019, 05:45:51 am »

Feast may not have been removed because it was too weak, but it could easily have been. Its last qvist rankings ranked it as the third weakest $4 card, ahead only of thief and scout!
Sure, it is a niche card as the board in which you want to open with a $4 and don't want to open Silver/Silver to gain a $5 after the first shuffle are rare. It is probably not a big thing to make a Feast variant nonterminal or whatever.

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: April 19, 2019, 09:18:52 am »
+1

Wow, a second win so soon? Thank you so much, Chappy7! And congrats on the new baby!

Challenge #27: I'd Buy That for $1!

Told you I'd bring it back. Simply enough, create a Kingdom card that costs exactly $1. No Debt, no Potions, no Overpay, no cost-varying mechanisms. Give Poor House some company on Cheap Street.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 09:35:10 pm by Tejayes »

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread #27: $1 cost
« Reply #1834 on: April 19, 2019, 11:03:33 am »
+4

Layman - Action, $1 cost.
+1 Card per card you have in play costing $2 or less.

It would be so tiny and hard to see I made it bigger.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: April 19, 2019, 07:20:53 pm »
+2

Wow, a second win so soon? Thank you so much, Chappy7! And congrats on the new baby!

Challenge #27: I'd Buy That for $1!

Told you I'd bring it back. Simply enough, create a Kingdom card that costs exactly $1. No Debt, no Potions, no Overpay, no cost-varying mechanisms. Give Poor House some company on Cheap Street.

Curious Spectators
cost $1 - Action
+1 Action per a card you have in play (counting this).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 07:24:33 pm by majiponi »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2107
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: April 19, 2019, 11:05:49 pm »
+1

Resubmitting a card that didn't quite fit the previous challenge

Bargain
Action/Reaction - $1
Trash a card from your hand, and gain a card costing up to $1 more than it.
---
When you gain a card, you may return this to the supply from your hand to exchange that card for a card costing up to $1 more than it. Put it onto your deck in your buy phase,  and into your hand otherwise.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: April 19, 2019, 11:14:11 pm »

This isn't my actual entry, but this and your previous contest make me wonder if this would be worth $1:

Digger
Action - $1
Gain a Silver.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: April 20, 2019, 04:28:08 am »
+1

Challenge accepted. Because I cannot submit Gift again, I came up with a new idea. It’s in fact a Candlestick Maker variant with protection against handsize attacks, but without the +Buy, slower and missing some reshuffles (which sometimes can be even an advantage, depending on the engine).

Nest Egg
Type: Action - Reserve - Reaction
Cost: $1

+1 Action
Put this on your Tavern Mat.
-
At the start of your turn, you may call this for + $1.
-
When another player plays an Attack card, you may first play this from your hand.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 04:50:33 am by King Leon »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: April 20, 2019, 08:06:00 am »
+2

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: April 20, 2019, 08:15:41 am »
+1

Challenge accepted. Because I cannot submit Gift again, I came up with a new idea. It’s in fact a Candlestick Maker variant with protection against handsize attacks, but without the +Buy, slower and missing some reshuffles (which sometimes can be even an advantage, depending on the engine).

Nest Egg
Type: Action - Reserve - Reaction
Cost: $1

+1 Action
Put this on your Tavern Mat.
-
At the start of your turn, you may call this for + $1.
-
When another player plays an Attack card, you may first play this from your hand.
With TR variants you can make a Necropolis out of it. It is also decent with draw-to-X. Otherwise it looks like a worse Copper. Well, not precisely, it is better than Copper as you can keep it out of your deck so you can e.g. imagine a Kingdom with Upgrade and Nest Egg in which you will Upgrade your Coppers, play your Nest Eggs and only call them to spike or for the last turn.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: April 20, 2019, 08:51:01 am »
+3

Alright, I'm going to submit my old stuff from now on. Having something in store and having to think of another idea when I already got something has turned from a challenge to an annoying limitation.

Not that this is my best card ever, but whatever.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Re: Contest #27: $1-cost card
« Reply #1842 on: April 20, 2019, 03:49:57 pm »
+1

All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

wittyhowlard

• Swindler
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: April 20, 2019, 08:26:48 pm »
+6

Lacking some much needed Buys on your board? Well worry no more with the topdecking Scraps of Cloth, which keeps mysteriously finding itself back into your hand! Get that shopping spree you always wanted with this (otherwise worthless) treasure.

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
Re: Contest #27: $1-cost card
« Reply #1844 on: April 21, 2019, 03:38:21 am »

This is actually a pretty good nonterminal Ambassador variant with an immense start player advantage.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2107
    • View Profile
« Reply #1845 on: April 21, 2019, 04:17:27 am »

This isn't my actual entry, but this and your previous contest make me wonder if this would be worth $1:

Digger
Action - $1
Gain a Silver.

Squire is "Gain a Silver", and +$1, and a whole bunch of other options if you don't necessarily want that Silver, plus an on trash bonus, for $2. You could probably make Digger stronger and it would still be ok at the $1 price point.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 04:24:31 am by NoMoreFun »

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: April 21, 2019, 06:56:58 am »
+1

I couldn't think of a good name, so this one doesn't make much sense sorry. Gaining anything without a cost restriction might be a bit much for a $1 but Lurker can get away with it and this is a one shot and seems like it needs more support than Lurker. It fits last weeks theme too, do I get extra points? Oh but so do Aspers and sort of Gubumps never mind.

silvern

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: April 21, 2019, 11:00:18 pm »
+3

Cottages are quite humble, but gather a few of em together and, hey, maybe you've almost got a quaint little village or... Town of the Year, or something!
And they are quirky enough to be fun (remaking your junk has never been more habitable....now it's a junk-cottage, and you have extra cash for some reason.) and very cheap.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: April 22, 2019, 04:22:56 am »
+1

I like this a lot but with cost reduction you can empty the entire pile at no cost (even without cost reduction you could argue that 3 or 4 Cottages are better than 1 village in a thin enough deck). So perhaps the on-gain Buy option has to go.

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: April 22, 2019, 04:47:28 am »

I like this a lot but with cost reduction you can empty the entire pile at no cost (even without cost reduction you could argue that 3 or 4 Cottages are better than 1 village in a thin enough deck). So perhaps the on-gain Buy option has to go.

I can also imagine some possible loops involving Ambassador, Procession and Lurker.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.