Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547025 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #1400 on: February 20, 2019, 02:39:20 pm »
+1

Regent
Action - $3
+1 Action
Reveal the top card of your deck. If it's an Action play it twice, otherwise put it in your hand.
This seems better than Herald to me...

Most of the time, yes. When they miss, it's exactly the same. But when it hits, it depends on what it hits. If it hits something that doesn't draw, then Herald leaves you with a larger handsize than this does.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: February 20, 2019, 04:45:32 pm »

Attempt 2! After an embarrassingly bad attempt, I feel better about this one, although without a ton of time it's still tricky to find a perfect balance.  It's a $4 Throne room variant.  Really good at playing cheap Action cards, including itself! Pretty bad at playing more expensive cards.

Here's my new entry.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: February 20, 2019, 05:16:47 pm »

Attempt 2! After an embarrassingly bad attempt, I feel better about this one, although without a ton of time it's still tricky to find a perfect balance.  It's a $4 Throne room variant.  Really good at playing cheap Action cards, including itself! Pretty bad at playing more expensive cards.

Here's my new entry.

So, for Transmute, Apothecary, Scrying Pool, University, Alchemist, Familiar, Engineer, City Quarter, Overlord and Royal Blacksmith this works the same as regular Throne Room, I guess.

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: February 20, 2019, 05:22:02 pm »

How do you "Choose a card"? Does it stay in your hand? Can I discard it? How does that work?

Not sure if this is too good: it gains 2 coffers when played on itself but it will inevitably discard cards...maybe if there's good 4- cost cards this is all the payload you need.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: February 20, 2019, 05:22:27 pm »
+2

Royal Libary
Action - $6
+2 Cards
You may play an action card from your hand twice

This seems too strong compared to Laboratory to only cost $1 more than it. Royal Library is essentially Laboratory + Throne Room.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: February 20, 2019, 05:24:36 pm »
+4

Royal Libary
Action - $6
+2 Cards

This seems too strong compared to Laboratory to only cost $1 more than it. Royal Library is essentially Laboratory + Throne Room.

This is also the best target for itself, seems like KC all over again, play it on itself and double payload while drawing all your cards beforehand.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: February 20, 2019, 05:54:26 pm »
+3

I've tweaked my entry a bit. I gave it a big buff and upped the price.

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: February 21, 2019, 12:36:31 am »
+5

After months of studying for, and then taking, comprehensive exams, I'm finally ready to get back into creating disappointing cards!

Solar
Action - $3
-
Choose one: +2 Cards; or reveal an Action card from your hand, then if no other player reveals a copy of it, play it twice.

When looking into medieval castles, I learned about the solar. It is a small private chamber for living and sleeping, possibly derived from the Latin word for "alone." That inspired this cheap Throne Room variant that only works if you alone have that Action card in your hand. If you don't have an Action or don't want to risk it, you can still make use of the Solar with the draw.

Any feedback is appreciated, of course.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 12:43:43 am by Tejayes »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: February 21, 2019, 01:37:01 pm »

Judging in ~24 hours-ish.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: February 21, 2019, 06:19:05 pm »

Here's my new entry.

So, for Transmute, Apothecary, Scrying Pool, University, Alchemist, Familiar, Engineer, City Quarter, Overlord and Royal Blacksmith this works the same as regular Throne Room, I guess.

Yeah it would.  I'm thinking those are uncommon enough that I can get away with it, but common enough to make it fun and powerful

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: February 21, 2019, 06:21:32 pm »

How do you "Choose a card"? Does it stay in your hand? Can I discard it? How does that work?

Not sure if this is too good: it gains 2 coffers when played on itself but it will inevitably discard cards...maybe if there's good 4- cost cards this is all the payload you need.

I was looking at the wording for Throne Room.  But now that I think of it that may be the old wording...That may need fixing.

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: February 21, 2019, 06:34:46 pm »

Edit: Changed the wording and added a new image

As pointed out by miX, the wording needed fixing.  I also found a better image to use.

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: February 22, 2019, 02:30:41 am »

Royal Libary
Action - $6
+2 Cards

This is also the best target for itself, seems like KC all over again, play it on itself and double payload while drawing all your cards beforehand.

jeah, it kind of is. Someone said that this would be a better royal libary and when I tough about it, i agree:

Royal Libary
Action - $6
Draw until you have 6 cards in your hand.

lompeluiten

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: February 22, 2019, 03:18:52 am »
+1

Royal Libary
Action - $6
+2 Cards

jeah, it kind of is. Someone said that this would be a better royal libary and when I tough about it, i agree:

Royal Libary
Action - $6
Draw until you have 6 cards in your hand.

lompeluiten

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: February 22, 2019, 03:45:37 am »
+3

After months of studying for, and then taking, comprehensive exams, I'm finally ready to get back into creating disappointing cards!

Solar
Action - $3
-
Choose one: +2 Cards; or reveal an Action card from your hand, then if no other player reveals a copy of it, play it twice.

When looking into medieval castles, I learned about the solar. It is a small private chamber for living and sleeping, possibly derived from the Latin word for "alone." That inspired this cheap Throne Room variant that only works if you alone have that Action card in your hand. If you don't have an Action or don't want to risk it, you can still make use of the Solar with the draw.

I like the seccond part, but not completly. It feels REAL bad if somebody else as a copy of it. A tournament feels just a bit bad, as you still get some stuf if someone else. Maybe you can only play it once if somebody else has a copy? It supports diversity, wich is good.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: February 22, 2019, 03:56:06 am »
+3

Solar
Action - $3
-

I like the seccond part, but not completly. It feels REAL bad if somebody else as a copy of it. A tournament feels just a bit bad, as you still get some stuf if someone else. Maybe you can only play it once if somebody else has a copy? It supports diversity, wich is good.
I think it might work better as a consolation price thing: Reveal Action, if noone has a copy play it twice, otherwise +2 cards.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Tejayes

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: February 22, 2019, 11:16:36 am »
+1

Solar
Action - $3
-

I think it might work better as a consolation price thing: Reveal Action, if noone has a copy play it twice, otherwise +2 cards.

Thanks for the suggestions. In fact, my first draft of Solar was exactly like lompeluiten suggested:

Never thought of the "consolation prize" angle, though. Thanks, faust. Let's give it a look:

I think I really like faust's suggestion. If there is time, I'd like to officially change my entry to this one.

Shard of Honor

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: Shard of Honor
  • Respect: +199
    • View Profile
    • Fan Card Creator
« Reply #1417 on: February 22, 2019, 11:29:23 am »
+2

I think I really like faust's suggestion. If there is time, I'd like to officially change my entry to this one.
As the contest is not rated yet, there's still time, so go for it  ;)

It could be reworded. (Only personal preference on the sentence structure.)
You may reveal an Action card from your hand.
Each other player may reveal a copy of it from their hand and if nobody does, play it twice.
Otherwise +2 Cards.
You might want to check out my own fan-card creations, built with this.

Tejayes

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: February 22, 2019, 12:02:54 pm »

As the contest is not rated yet, there's still time, so go for it  ;)

It could be reworded. (Only personal preference on the sentence structure.)
You may reveal an Action card from your hand.
Each other player may reveal a copy of it from their hand and if nobody does, play it twice.
Otherwise +2 Cards.

The issue with this wording is that it doesn't make clear that you still get the +2 Cards if you don't reveal any cards. I guess in the spirit of most Throne Room variants being complete duds if there are no other Action cards in hand, that's fine. My initial goal, however, was to make a Throne Room variant that wasn't a complete dud, but the Throning is much more difficult to pop.

Hmm, what about this?

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: February 22, 2019, 12:14:24 pm »
+5

Solar
Types: Action
Cost: $3
You may reveal an Action card from your hand, then each other player may reveal a copy of it. If you do and no one else does, play it twice; otherwise, +2 Cards.
The biggest problem this card has are scaling and its consolation prize.
  • In multiplayer games it will be much harder to trigger than in 2-player--not to mention that other players might know some Actions they can't Solar based on turn order.
    I'd recommend making it only trigger based on the player to the left, like Gladiator.
  • The consolation prize idea is terminal draw. So I reveal an Action that I want to play, to get dead draw instead.
    I'd recommend either the base effect being +2 Actions or nixing the consolation prize and making it a choice between +2 Cards or play the Action once or twice based upon having the Action alone.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Tejayes

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: February 22, 2019, 12:41:21 pm »
+4

Solar
Types: Action
Cost: $3
You may reveal an Action card from your hand, then each other player may reveal a copy of it. If you do and no one else does, play it twice; otherwise, +2 Cards.
The biggest problem this card has are scaling and its consolation prize.
  • In multiplayer games it will be much harder to trigger than in 2-player--not to mention that other players might know some Actions they can't Solar based on turn order.
    I'd recommend making it only trigger based on the player to the left, like Gladiator.
  • The consolation prize idea is terminal draw. So I reveal an Action that I want to play, to get dead draw instead.
    I'd recommend either the base effect being +2 Actions or nixing the consolation prize and making it a choice between +2 Cards or play the Action once or twice based upon having the Action alone.

I had considered scaling before, but didn't really act on it. This is a good fix, I must admit.

I do want to stick with +2 Cards for some possible self-combo shenanigans - play a Solar with a Solar, draw 2 cards, hopefully get a good Action, and hope that another Solar isn't revealed so you can use your second Solar to possibly double up on the new Action. Yeesh, I haven't seen the word "Solar" used that often since my environmentalist days back in the '90s.

Anyway, I'll revise my first draft (from my reply to lompeluiten) with the "player to the left" caveat:

Again, thank you to everyone with these suggestions. I don't play Dominion as much as I want to, so it's good to have more experienced voices critique my cards.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: February 22, 2019, 01:51:02 pm »
+1

Why not make it a KC variant (for $5?) such that the "gamble" is really worth it? At $3 it doesn't compare very favourably to Throne Room and probably will not be often bought in a Kingdom in which both Throne Room and Solar are present.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: February 22, 2019, 02:19:21 pm »
+1

Commission by Fragasnap
Assuming my math is correct, the first Commission only discards one card, which makes Commission just a Lab minus, which makes Commission just a Lab minus in any set that doesn't contain Villages or Villagers. In other sets, however, it's kind of a Fugitive with a bonus, which bumps it up to just strong enough to cost $5. Good job on this one.

Royal Hall by MattLee
Unfortunately for you, it seems like everybody and their grandmother has come up with something almost identical to this.

Royal Heirloom by LibraryAdventurer
This is an interesting take on the "now and next turn" concept. I think it's too weak for $5, though.

Vestibule by Asper
Every other time you play it, it's a better Band of Misfits, but the rest of the time, it's a Throne Room. BoM is one of my favorite cards from Dark Ages, and Throne Room is one of my favorite cards from the base set, so I love this! Fantastic job as usual, Asper.

Collector by King Leon
Holy guacamole, this card is powerful. I think it would be worth $5 even if you limited it to just Action cards; being able to use Night and Treasure cards as well is broken.

Antechamber by Faust
The problem with making a minus version of a card that costs $4 or less is that the gap between $2 to $3, $3 to $4, and even $2 to $4 is actually pretty small power-wise. So as a result the minus card become either too close to the original to bother existing, or it becomes so much weaker that it's brokenly weak. This card is the latter.

Thane by Aquila
This is effectively a Throne Room that can search your discard pile as well as your hand, which is too strong compared to Throne Room to just cost $1 more. You don't even need to have an Action card in your hand to be able to use Thane effectively!

Parade by scott_pilgrim
In most cases, draw up to 6 will be worse than +2 cards, since it's generally easier to have a large handsize than it is to have a small handsize. I don't think players would choose the draw to 6 very often.

Eyre by spiralstaircase
It's a bit of a stretch to call this a Throne Room variant, but I guess it counts. Like others have said, the fairly low chance of high-VP return and the fact that the compensation is just a delayed Necropolis makes this way too weak.

Landgravine by Lurker
While Vestibule does something new and interesting half the time, Landgravine just replaces itself half the time. Not particularly exciting.

Desert Throne by Shard of Honor
See my comment on Antechamber.

Dining Room by hhelibebcnofnena
I feel like this is too much of an auto-buy in Engines that give lots of +$ (enough to buy Colonies/Provinces and still have a little $ left over) and too rare a buy otherwise.

Royal Road by hypercube
I think that this would be useless in sets with no source of +Buys, and too much of an optimal self-combo in sets that do have +Buy. RR-RR is awfully close to KC-Bridge, except you also get to Throne Room another two cards afterwards. (And Throne Rooming two cards will usually be better than the +3 Buys and +$3 you'd get instead if you KC-Bridge.)

Aldermen by ConMan
Renaissance is easily the best expansion we've had for a while, IMO. This card would fit in perfectly with the rest of the Renaissance cards. This is an incredible card.

Appeal by VioletCLM
Appeal feels like it'll be either completely useless or completely busted, with no in between.

Queen's Throne by Chappy7
While it is technically about the same strength as a Throne Room, most of the optimal targets for Throne Rooms cost more than $4, so I feel like you'll be getting the short end of the stick most of the time.

Czar by NoMoreFun
Czar is sort of a self anti-combo, since Czars need Actions to play and Silvers to become stronger, but having more Silver means that you're more likely to draw your Czars dead.

Iron Throne by segura
Selecting one blind card rather than any card from your hand weakens Iron Throne way too much for allowing multiple types to make up for it. I don't even think this is as strong as Vassal.

Sanctuary by 4est
Sanctuary is a pretty sweet self-synergy, since it can clean up your deck to help itself be drawn with other Action cards. It's decent.

Signet Ring by Commodore Chuckles
King's Court is one of my all-time favorite Dominion cards (when I have it, of course ;).) I also love Hinterlands, which I think this would strangely fit in with very well because of its on-gain effect. Even though Appeal does it too, an on-gain Throne-Room variant has somehow never even crossed my mind, and this implements it gloriously. Next time I go home for break, I'll be sure to playtest this one with my family. :)

Royal Library by lompeluiten
I don't feel like this is enough stronger than Throne Room to justify costing just one less than King's Court. Although most cards that even cost the same as KC are not nearly as good.

Solar by Tejayes
I feel like if another player is mirroring you, Solar will be way too weak and whoever has it will just choose the +2 Cards each time, or nobody would even buy it; if nobody is buying the same cards as you, however, Solar just becomes a cheap Throne Room. I agree that it would've been much better with +2 Cards as a consolation prize.

Winner: Signet Ring by Commodore Chuckles

Runners Up: Aldermen by ConMan, Commission by Fragasnap, and Vestibule by Asper.

SUPER, SUPER LATE EDIT: I somehow forgot to add Commission and Vestibule as runners up. Sorry, Fragasnap and Asper.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 03:41:20 am by Gubump »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: February 22, 2019, 04:04:56 pm »

Congrats, Commodore!

I actually took Seasons' Ball Room as the basis for Vestibule, so it's not as new as it could be... It's possibly slightly weaker than Ball Room, but has the advantage of not needing a new component. Thanks for the kind words :)

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: February 22, 2019, 05:18:25 pm »

Iron Throne by segura
Selecting one blind card rather than any card from your hand weakens Iron Throne way too much for allowing multiple types to make up for it. I don't even think this is as strong as Vassal.
Yeah, it is probably Tribute-level weakish and could get away with costing $4. But the claim that is weaker than Vassal is highy dubious.
Let's be conservative and pick two weak cards on top; with a better card on top Iron Throne would become better relative to Vassal.

Vassal                             Iron Throne
Silver on top           +$2                               +$4
Pearl Diver on top    +1 Card +1 Action +$2      +2 Cards +2 Actions

Iron Throne is better in every instance (although there are of course situations in which you prefer a Conspirator over a Lost City).

The only situation in which Vassal is better is with green on top.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 21 queries.