Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Pilgrimage With Split Piles  (Read 2507 times)

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
Pilgrimage With Split Piles
« on: September 15, 2018, 08:31:12 pm »
+1

What happens if you Pilgrimage, say, an Encampment, Plunder, and Silver, and the Encampment pile is such that an Encampment is on top and a Plunder is beneath it? Does the 'lose track rule' apply here anywhere? Do I choose the order in which I gain the 3 cards before gaining any of them and does this matter (i.e. I only gain the Plunder if I chose to gain it after the Encampment)?

Are there any (or will there ever be) other multi-gainers like Pilgrimage, that this would apply to (I can't think of any off the top of my head)?

Apologies if this has already been asked.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 08:32:44 pm by Dingan »

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
Re: Pilgrimage With Split Piles
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 09:08:31 pm »
+1

You gain the cards in the order you choose. So you can choose to gain Encampment first, then choose to gain Plunder, and you will gain both of them with no issues.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 05:27:45 am »

Are there any (or will there ever be) other multi-gainers like Pilgrimage, that this would apply to (I can't think of any off the top of my head)?

There are probably a bunch, but the one that first comes to mind is Stonemason. It works the same way, so you can, for example, buy Stonemason and gain two Knights of equal cost.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 12:44:46 pm »
+1

There are probably a bunch, but the one that first comes to mind is Stonemason. It works the same way, so you can, for example, buy Stonemason and gain two Knights of equal cost.

Good point but to my understanding, you choose the 2 cards from Stonemason 1-at-a-time, and the choice for the second card comes after the gain of the first card (even if the client automatically chooses the second one for you like when there are no other cards at the same price point). So like say you had Trader in hand. You would gain card A, choose whether to react Trader on card A, resolve that, then gain card B, then do Trader on B. Similar thing would happen with multi-gainers like Cache, Treasure Trove, etc.

But to my understanding the gains from Pilgrimage are instead all chosen, then the on-gain effects happen (one card at a time). Choose to gain card A, choose to gain B, choose to gain C, choose whether to react Trader on A, Trader B, Trader C. I guess this is what I meant by "multi-gainers", and was the main source of confusion for me regarding split piles.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 12:47:13 pm by Dingan »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 01:11:55 pm »
+1

Lose Track is not involved here.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 07:09:04 pm »

Yeah, I don't think there are other cards like this, where you choose several cards first, then gain them. But Dz is right; you choose the order. So it would be dumb to choose to gain Plunder before Encampment.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 10:41:40 pm »

Yeah, I don't think there are other cards like this, where you choose several cards first, then gain them. But Dz is right; you choose the order. So it would be dumb to choose to gain Plunder before Encampment.

Edge case: you remembered after choosing your 3 cards, but before gaining them, that Wolf Den was in the game.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 11:47:25 pm »
+2

Edge case: you remembered after choosing your 3 cards, but before gaining them, that Wolf Den was in the game, and your opponent is a jerk who don't allow undos for any reason.

FTFY

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 02:24:14 am »
+1

Edge case: you remembered after choosing your 3 cards, but before gaining them, that Wolf Den was in the game.
How is this an edge case? You need to have copies of Plunder and Encampment in your deck already in order to be able to choose them...
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

fisherman

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: fisherman
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 09:18:13 am »
+1

How is this an edge case? You need to have copies of Plunder and Encampment in your deck already in order to be able to choose them...
They are actually in your opponents deck. You bought Pilgrimage while Possessing them.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 09:56:52 am »

They are actually in your opponents deck. You bought Pilgrimage while Possessing them.

Wow, I just realized how big of a jerk your opponent has to be in this edge case. Because you would actually be playing IRL.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 10:59:07 am »

Exactly... so you don't want to get a second one. By choosing to gain Plunder first (and failing to do so), you don't have to get a second Plunder.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 11:18:40 am »
+4

Exactly... so you don't want to get a second one. By choosing to gain Plunder first (and failing to do so), you don't have to get a second Plunder.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 12:34:35 pm »
+1

What if you're playing the golf variant?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 02:21:33 pm »

Dammit.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2018, 03:32:52 pm »

Ok, so Tower is in the game, and your opponent has the other 3 Plunders.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 21 queries.