Dominion > Dominion General Discussion

I'm increasingly disappointed by games with no +Buy

(1/3) > >>

Commodore Chuckles:
I think there's few things that are as good at making a game thoroughly boring as not having any +Buy (Or any other ways to gain multiple cards per turn.) No Villages usually makes a game less interesting, but there can still be some interesting strategy in how to navigate around the tight terminal space. The particular problem with no +Buy is that you're immediately at a hard cap of one Province a turn. Building a complicated deck becomes pointless, and if a really cool engine were otherwise possible it just feels sad. And then often it's already gg if you're 2 Provinces behind because it's mathematically impossible to catch up.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

Dingan:
I see your point but it is fun to find the subtle ways to get an edge in such games, if possible -- keeping 1 of your Estates in a Jack game, buying Death Cart just for a potential Ruined Market, racing to Princess, etc. Alt VP can mix it up -- 1 Province per turn vs 1 Vineyard per turn, 1 Province per turn vs Dominate every other turn, Duchy vs. Triumphal Arch points, etc. And of course there are other types of payload besides gains which even without gaining anything can out pace 1 Province per turn.

DG:
Perfection is not achieved when there is nothing more to add but when there is nothing more to take away. Efficiency is very much part of Dominion.

Chris is me:
No extra gains boards are what kills engine potential way more than no Village boards. Even the weirdest of extra gains like Delve or Beggar can be made to make work sometimes, but almost never a single gain board.

werothegreat:
Clearly, this is why Bridge Troll is the single best card in the game. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version