Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Wiki etiquette?  (Read 1786 times)

tripwire

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +211
    • View Profile
Wiki etiquette?
« on: September 05, 2018, 08:10:15 pm »
+1

I just happened to look at the wiki page for Basilica and noticed it had a strategy section. But it's like the worst possible advice:

If you draw a 2/5 opening hand, consider if it would be worth giving up a 5-cost buy to instead purchase a 3-cost action or a Silver to collect the victory points. Similarly, you could play at least 2 money and then buy a Copper.

However, in a Colony game, it might be smarter to ramp up your economy and gain the Basilica VP later instead of stalling during the first few turns.

I know for some the wiki's strategy advice is just a joke, but it seems like it's a lot of new people's go to resource. As a result I worry stuff like this could hurt people's enjoyment of the game. But I don't have any particular strategy advice to replace it though. So what do people recommend in cases like this? Just delete it? Add a note that this advice is suspect? Are there wiki best practices that cover this sort of thing?

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
Re: Wiki etiquette?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 09:00:03 pm »
+1

If you're not sure, you can put something on the article's Talk page (click the "Talk" tab up the top and put a section in there). If you're pretty sure the advice is complete rubbish you can probably remove it from the article (and maybe copy to the Talk page for reference).

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 10:22:43 pm »
+3

Please feel free to just change the advice.  That's the whole point of the wiki format!  I don't always catch when someone puts something stupid up there.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 02:54:16 pm »

On a similar note. I have encountered a few times where I would want to change the 'Official Rules' section to clarify them.  I cannot find a current example.  I am curious as to the best way to approach changing 'Official' portion of some pages.  Thanks.

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 02:25:11 pm »

I just happened to look at the wiki page for Basilica and noticed it had a strategy section. But it's like the worst possible advice:

If you draw a 2/5 opening hand, consider if it would be worth giving up a 5-cost buy to instead purchase a 3-cost action or a Silver to collect the victory points. Similarly, you could play at least 2 money and then buy a Copper.

However, in a Colony game, it might be smarter to ramp up your economy and gain the Basilica VP later instead of stalling during the first few turns.

I know for some the wiki's strategy advice is just a joke, but it seems like it's a lot of new people's go to resource. As a result I worry stuff like this could hurt people's enjoyment of the game. But I don't have any particular strategy advice to replace it though. So what do people recommend in cases like this? Just delete it? Add a note that this advice is suspect? Are there wiki best practices that cover this sort of thing?
the advice on getting a silver with a five might be useful. THe playing 2 and getting a copper probably isn't

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 02:10:30 pm »
+5

On a similar note. I have encountered a few times where I would want to change the 'Official Rules' section to clarify them.  I cannot find a current example.  I am curious as to the best way to approach changing 'Official' portion of some pages.  Thanks.

Never change an 'Official Rules' section.  If there is something about them that needs clarified, it belongs in the 'Other rules clarifications' section.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.