Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Decadent Nobility  (Read 1955 times)

Screwyioux

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: JakeTheZipper
  • Respect: +226
    • View Profile
Decadent Nobility
« on: August 30, 2018, 09:42:14 am »

Having thought about this a little more carefully it doesn't really work.

Here was my thought: I played a kingdom where Bridge Troll was the endgame payload and the only draw/village was City Quarter. It was really interesting because you got this powerful effect, but the card that enabled it didn't help you pay off the debt, so I was trying to brainstorm a way to emulate that in a card/event.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 10:32:19 am by Screwyioux »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
Re: Decadent Nobility
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 09:48:23 am »
+1

The cost makes no difference, seeing as you need to pay it off before you can buy anything.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Screwyioux

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 09:54:33 am »

The cost makes no difference, seeing as you need to pay it off before you can buy anything.

Yeah I just realized that.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 10:27:09 am »

If we use Travelling Fair as a benchmark for the shadow price of an extra Buy you need to buy 2 cards to make up for the paying of Decadent Nobility and once you buy 3 you got the extra Buy for free. So at the first glance this seems OK for a one-shot Princess.
But due to the trashing this basically sucks. If you already got a megaturn this is unlikely to matter much. As you gotta trash everything that you buy afterwards this is only good for piling, Groundskeeper, Conquest and Goons.

Screwyioux

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 10:29:52 am »

If we use Travelling Fair as a benchmark for the shadow price of an extra Buy you need to buy 2 cards to make up for the paying of Decadent Nobility and once you buy 3 you got the extra Buy for free. So at the first glance this seems OK for a one-shot Princess.
But due to the trashing this basically sucks. If you already got a megaturn this is unlikely to matter much. As you gotta trash everything that you buy afterwards this is only good for piling, Groundskeeper, Conquest and Goons.

Yeah having considered it more carefully I tried to delete this. I'm not sure why it didn't work

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 10:33:17 am »
+2

Yeah having considered it more carefully I tried to delete this. I'm not sure why it didn't work
Just because the first attempt didn't work out doesn't mean that your two basic ideas, Princess as an Event and gaining implying forced trashing, aren't unique and interesting.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 10:33:59 am »
+1

Big combo with Watchtower, Royal Seal, or Travelling Fair, to let you keep your gained cards.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 07:21:27 pm »
+1

Just because the first attempt didn't work out doesn't mean that your two basic ideas, Princess as an Event and gaining implying forced trashing, aren't unique and interesting.
I agree. There are some interesting things to explore here, even if the original concept doesn't quite work.

If we take the first interesting idea from the card, maybe we could do something like this:

???
Event - $0
+2 Buys
Once per turn: Until end of turn, all cards cost $2 less, but not less than $0. At the start of Clean-up this turn, take 6 Debt.

I added the Once per turn to prevent total blow-out of the effect, but I think you still get a lot of benefit from it (I suspect that this wording is still too strong and you would always open with it, but there's still room for adjustment).

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 03:00:46 am »

I wonder how an Event that always makes all cards but the first cheaper would work:

Bridging, Event, 2$
Once per turn:
+1 Buy
All cards cost 2$ less this turn, but not less than 0$.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 03:01:59 am by Asper »

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 05:58:50 am »

I agree. There are some interesting things to explore here, even if the original concept doesn't quite work.

If we take the first interesting idea from the card, maybe we could do something like this:

???
Event - $0
+2 Buys
Once per turn: Until end of turn, all cards cost $2 less, but not less than $0. At the start of Clean-up this turn, take 6 Debt.

I added the Once per turn to prevent total blow-out of the effect, but I think you still get a lot of benefit from it (I suspect that this wording is still too strong and you would always open with it, but there's still room for adjustment).
Without the 'once per turn' you could buy it an infinite number of times and empty all piles. As it stands it is a bit like Capital, you get 4 Coins and an extra Buy for 6 Debt at the end of the turn. So perhaps not too crazy?

Screwyioux

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 09:09:10 am »

There's also the idea of it having a debt cost and the cost reduction applying to next turn instead of this one? So you have to pay back the debt before you can use it?

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 10:18:27 am »
+1

Reminds me of this old thing from way back when:

It went through a couple revisions, but I think I only tested it in one game. It was fun, but a tad clunky.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 21 queries.