Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Anticipating Renaissance  (Read 15699 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Anticipating Renaissance
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2018, 02:04:59 pm »

The teasers said there would be a trasher that you can't turn off, but we didn't get to see it in the previews.
I thought Sewers was confirmed as the always-on trasher.

No, that was just me being pedantic.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2018, 02:31:46 pm »
+1

OK, there are no Events in Renaissance but nonetheless, Delve for Villagers:

$2
Event
+1 Buy and +1 Villager

$2
Event
+1 Villager. If this is the first time you buy UNNAMED EVENT this turn, +1 Buy.

$2
Event
Once per turn: +1 Buy and +1 Villager

There is an interesting discussion in Asper's thread about the mirror version of this for Coffers that did not work (and, on a sidenote, I think that this is a very important playtesting result and it made Asper understand the strength of Coffers far better than somebody like me who, in spite of using some fan cards with Coffers, never tried something simple like convert 2 Coins into 1 Coffers and thus never got such clear insights). LibraryAdventurer had an idea to fix this via forcing you to spend Buys on this Event beyond the first one and an even harsher version would be to make it only once per turn.
I guess that Villagers are slightly weaker (I know, it is a a nearly impossible comparison) than Coffers but above all they are not brilliant in quantities. 16 Coffers and 2 Buys are 2 Provinces whereas 16 Villagers is just the end of worries about your engine not running. With Villagers there is (probably?) nothing abusive / game ruining like the smoothing of Coins over turns that you can too easily do with the Coffers version of this Event.

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2018, 03:09:41 pm »

$2
Event
+1 Buy and +1 Villager

I like your assessment of Coffers versus Villagers and think this version of your Event would be a fine starting point. Whether $2 is worth 1 Villager probably depends on the Kingdom and where you are in the game. The player who manages their purchases of this Event will probably get rewarded nicely for it!

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2018, 03:16:15 pm »

The teasers said there would be a trasher that you can't turn off, but we didn't get to see it in the previews.  Seems like an obvious Project idea, although I'm not sure how the details would work out.
Trasher you can't turn off - $2 Project
At the beginning of each turn, +1 card, then trash a card from your hand.

I'm not sure if this is a good turn 1 buy, or if it becomes a liability later on, especially in games without +buy.  Maybe it could cost $5 or $6 instead.  I put in the +1 card so it isn't garbage against discard attacks, but there are probably other ways of dealing with that issue.

Another idea:

Trasher you can't turn off - $6 Project
At the beginning of each turn, trash a card from your hand, and gain a non-victory card costing no more than it, to your hand.

So you could get a Transmogrify-type effect each turn.  But maybe that would just demolish piles, so I restricted it from milling Provinces.

Yeah, a project seems like a likely fit. I'm not sure why it would be, but it could also be a Duration (Permanent). Either way, I think you're correct that it will need a little extra on top of the trashing to make it worth it. +1 Card would be good (maybe too good), but I could also see +$1 (for a permanent Junk Dealer) working well.

The earlier you get this the better your deck will come together, but getting it early also makes you run the risk of running out of junk to trash by late game.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2018, 04:48:10 pm »

I doubt that it is a straightforward out-of-hand trasher, that can be pretty harsh in the ending. Perhaps it is a Remodeller or and out-of-hand-trasher or it includes the option to not trash, like Sentry. The expansion is after all meant to be simple so I doubt that there will be something nasty that can massively backfire.

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +323
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2018, 06:23:56 pm »

I doubt that it is a straightforward out-of-hand trasher, that can be pretty harsh in the ending. Perhaps it is a Remodeller or and out-of-hand-trasher or it includes the option to not trash, like Sentry. The expansion is after all meant to be simple so I doubt that there will be something nasty that can massively backfire.

Could be something kind of like a cross between Transmogrify and Amulet:

Project
Trash a card from your hand. Choose one: gain a card costing up to $1 more than it; or +$1.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2018, 07:04:44 pm »
+1

Could be something kind of like a cross between Transmogrify and Amulet:

Project
Trash a card from your hand. Choose one: gain a card costing up to $1 more than it; or +$1.
This would be:
At the start of your turn, trash a card from your hand.  Choose one: gain a card costing up to $1 more than it; or +$1.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2018, 10:11:10 pm »

Tent City
Project - $6
At the start of your turn,  reveal your hand. +1 Action for each
Action card you revealed.

Road
Project - $5
At the start of your turn,  reveal your hand. +1 Card for each Victory card you revealed.

Sample
Project - $5
On your turns,  copies of cards you have in play cost $1 less (but not less than $0)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 02:36:06 am by NoMoreFun »

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2018, 03:58:23 pm »
+1

Perhaps a card that can gain both Coffers and Villagers, but has you manage each resource effectively for a draw bonus?

Not sure what good values for a card like this would be.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 04:34:26 am by Kudasai »

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2018, 01:15:13 pm »
+1

Rennaissance is coming soon!  Must take more shots in the dark in hopes of winning an internet point.

Crop Rotation - $5 Project
When you buy a card, trash a card from your hand.
Of all the leaked card names, Crop Rotation seemed like the most likely candidate for a forced trasher.  And then the name sounds like it would be triggered on buy.

Sinister Plot - $8 Project
When the end-game conditions are fulfilled, you take one more turn before the game ends.
This would be tricky rules-wise, because you have to have a rule for who takes their extra turn first, and what happens if someone buys Mission, Donate, or plays Possession on their last turn?  But the basic concept seems obvious enough.

Fleet - $6 Project
During your action phase, you may play any card face down as an action card with the name "Ship", which gives +$2.
The teaser says there's a card with a word in quotation marks.  I am completely mystified by the idea, so this is just a wild guess.

Next, my guesses for the unknown artifacts:
Border Guard - $3 Action/Reaction
+2 Cards
----------------
When the player to your left gains a card costing at least $5, you may reveal this from your hand to take the Horn.

Horn - Artifact
At the beginning of your turn, +1 Villager

Hideout - $3 Action
+1 Action
Choose one: Take the Lantern; +1 Card; Or look at the top two cards of your deck, trash one and put the other one back.

Lantern - Artifact
At the beginning of your turn, look at the top three cards of your deck, discard any of them, and put the rest back in any order.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2018, 08:49:00 am »

Popping over here from the card-name-reveal thread, because people were speculating about what Spices does.

I'm sure Donald will have come up with something better, but this feels like an interesting idea, riffing on the notion that variety is the spice of life.

Spices - $4 Treasure
Worth $1
---
While this is in play, keep your hand revealed. Cards you do not have a copy of in hand or in play cost $2 less, but not less than $0.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2018, 01:18:39 pm »

Just remember that in actual development, cards are assigned names, rather than being built around them. And they're assigned names from a constantly depleting supply of names.

crlundy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2018, 01:21:24 pm »

Spices - $4 Treasure
Worth $1
---
While this is in play, keep your hand revealed. Cards you do not have a copy of in hand or in play cost $2 less, but not less than $0.

The revealing gets interesting with Black Market, Storyteller, and Villa.

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2018, 06:15:24 pm »

I... think it stands a good chance of playing interestingly, actually: a nice early accelerant that becomes less useful later in the game; better in Big Money than an engine game where you draw your deck; helped greatly by discard-for-benefit.

In my dreams, it has good interactions without breaking anything, though who knows what would happen if I ever playtested it.

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
  • Respect: +134
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2018, 06:29:57 pm »

As much as it makes me a killjoy to say this, I think you'd either have to increase the cost to make it hard to buy a lot of them, or add "non-Victory" to the payoff.
I can see it being too easy to combo with something like a Cellar and then buy Provinces on the cheap if you have +Buy.

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2018, 06:41:29 pm »

The trouble with Cellar is that, if you've drawn your deck, whatever you discard comes straight back. (-8

More generally, it feels like such shenanigans would be considerably harder to get right than equivalents which use Bridge. And they'd never help you buy more of themselves.

crlundy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2018, 09:00:15 pm »

I'm sure there are shenanigans with Bonfire and extra buys for 3-piling
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.