Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 47  All

Author Topic: RMM50: Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (Game Over!)  (Read 141219 times)

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
    • View Profile
Re: RMM50: Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (D1)
« Reply #200 on: September 14, 2018, 08:13:56 am »

Awaclus is either town or a very bold scum for making a flavor claim in such a seemingly whimsical manner, which I think is unlikely. You're a good kid.

I might be stupid and missing context, but
Does scum oppose a clearly scum-helping plan?  Do they support it to help it gain traction?  Depends on the player, of course.
is ashes calling his own plan "clearly scum-helping", or iguana's? If he was referring to his own, was it a bait? And if it was a bait, does he think Awaclus I are scummy for supporting it?

Iguana and silver are acting a bit odd. vote: silver
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 14, 2018, 08:42:35 am »

Awaclus is either town or a very bold scum for making a flavor claim in such a seemingly whimsical manner, which I think is unlikely. You're a good kid.

You, my friend, don't know Awaclus at all.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 14, 2018, 09:31:37 am »

Is he generally that extreme? I just don’t see a reason for scum to flavor claim except to win weak D1 town points that mean little in the long run. It seems like a high risk low reward move for a scum.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 14, 2018, 09:41:34 am »

Where would he get 3 safe names to claim? Do you think he used all his team's safeclaims?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 14, 2018, 09:51:38 am »

Where would he get 3 safe names to claim? Do you think he used all his team's safeclaims?

Where would he get 3 safe names as town? Clearly, something about his role gives him access to several claims, and I see no reason whatsoever that this is more likely to be a thing if he is town than scum.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 14, 2018, 09:52:42 am »

Pretty sure it's the opposite. I have an easier time seeing a scum getting several potential flavor names than a town getting ... false other claims?

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 14, 2018, 10:17:15 am »

In the show, those are all the same person. So it could just be one person with several names instead of three people.
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 14, 2018, 10:24:03 am »

I’m so confused right now. I’m going to endeavor to watch the flavor soon

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 14, 2018, 10:47:47 am »

In the show, those are all the same person. So it could just be one person with several names instead of three people.

Its definitely that. One person who time travels and goes by a different alias in each time period he is in.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 14, 2018, 11:05:09 am »

Still no reason to believe he is town.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 14, 2018, 11:12:07 am »

I’m so confused right now. I’m going to endeavor to watch the flavor soon

The show is confusing, too, but you can sort of figure out who the good guys and bad guys are. Oh, and it’s on Hulu rather than Netflix in the US.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 14, 2018, 02:45:32 pm »

I haven't quite gotten into this game yet.  Will try to do that over the weekend.

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 14, 2018, 03:37:45 pm »

Its definitely that. One person who time travels and goes by a different alias in each time period he is in.
Alright. I'm going to have to watch this show, I think. Is it better than the commercials make it seem?

unvote

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 14, 2018, 03:46:23 pm »

Alright. I'm going to have to watch this show, I think. Is it better than the commercials make it seem?

unvote

It’s very strange. I was confused for the first three episodes and found them really violent, but then it gets good. Season one is only 8 episodes, and Faust said that was all they used for the game.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 14, 2018, 03:58:50 pm »

unvote

Season 1 is a 6/10, season 2 an 8/10. The first few episodes are awesome, so just jump right in. I haven't seen the commercials but however good or bad they are is probably close to zero information about the quality of the show.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 14, 2018, 05:40:29 pm »

I took several episodes to get into it. It has a very 70s feel early on, because all the females absolutely totally lack agency. And then suddenly it gets good after all, which is weird to me because then they make it look like the early part must have been some kind of deliberate artistic decision that I just don't get. I really enjoyed it in the end, though.

In other news, I'm a bit VLA this weekend because my parents are visiting. I have a concert tomorrow night, and rehearsals all afternoon, so between that and seeing my folks, I won't be online terribly much...
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 14, 2018, 05:41:58 pm »

I too would like to know what plan Ash was referring to when he described (at least) one of them as "clearly scum-helping".
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 14, 2018, 05:53:37 pm »

Uh I don't know if I should say this but since I'm thinking it scum probably has already thought of it.

LL says speccy isn't allowed until something happens. I feel like that only really matters if there is some weird time travel or something like that. And I feel like really only town would have that kinda power.

So unless there are multiple time travelling characters I think that makes awaclus most likely town?
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 14, 2018, 06:26:09 pm »

as much as I don't like it, that's actually a legit point.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 14, 2018, 06:29:08 pm »

In the show, both the bad guys and two sets of good guys have access to a time travel device at different points in the device's timeline.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 14, 2018, 06:31:43 pm »

Vote: WCD

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 14, 2018, 06:46:06 pm »

Finally getting to some of the criticism of me that came so quickly that I didn't have time to respond to it all when it was happening:

First, here's a general response to what I remember of people criticizing me and calling me scummy:

The whole point of my plan was to put something out there that I considered to be fairly low risk, with a very very small potential for a good reward. In fact, after I thought about it a bit, I wasn't even convinced that my plan was worth doing. BUT just because it wasn't worth doing, I didn't think it wasn't worth proposing.

Here's why: by proposing the plan, everyone in the game starts to talk about the pros and cons of it. Town is just gunna say what they think, but scum has to manufacture some sort of response, and they have to look at what their partners said, and maybe they don't want all scum against the plan if town likes it, or all scum for it when town hates it. So later on down the line, people can look for the scum team based on flips and how different people reacted. So that's value.

Also there's value in the fact that I am town and scum had to decide how to respond to all the people starting to scumread me. With the number of people who stated weak scumreads on me, there's gauranteed to be scum in there. Not helpful now but at some point, that could PoE someone.

Also Bart is probably in this game and had to decide how to react to all this, and could be caught out by that at some point.

Also just starting conversation in general has a lot of value when we are only a few pages into D1.

I'm also going to respond to people more specifically in a different post or series of posts.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 14, 2018, 06:51:09 pm »

Issue I have with this [plan] is what if your inference in incorrect. Like what if the Bart guy is just mafia and not SK? Or what if the "turn to town" thing isn't accurate? I feel like this plan would probably just create confusion. That being said - I don't know what your flavor is that made you come up with this, so all of that is from my blank pov.

Iguana's Plan - Unless I have missed something, I really don't see how hypo-claiming works for us. Or at least I guess I don't see how it would work for us unless Igu has knowledge of like an INSANELY huge upside. However, I guess I do not see a huge downside to it either. It seems just kind of pointless? Which is why I assume Igu knows something we don't... which could be either good or bad. So probably not on board with that.

[snipped stuff about ash]

I still think Igu is skumish for their idea. Mainly because of the null content it seems to provide (so I am assuming it is valuable to them).

I think you are barking up the wrong tree regarding my flavor when you are assuming it must be Bart related. I REALLY LIKED Bart on the TV show when I was watching it. I identified with her before I got my role. Then, I didn't get her as my role. And I was disappointed. But by that point I had already gone through the thought process of "If I was modding Dirk Gently, how would I handle Bart?" I decided I would make her an SK who could become town. And then when I saw my non-Bart role, I thought, how could we, town, assist a person like that who can't openly ask for help, if they exist? And that was where my plan generated. I didn't have the plan until I saw my non-Bart-town-role.

If I was Bart, I wouldn't have brought up Bart. Seriously. See my point above also about how the whole point was low risk, low chance of reward, and jump-starting D1 so that we don't just sit around RVSing for 10 pages.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 14, 2018, 06:54:19 pm »

b) based on my own role, I know

Yah, this is exactly the point I was getting at in my question to you! You framed this as "a weird inference I made from my knowledge of the flavor", but what you actually mean is "some QT stuff I obviously can't talk about but want to hint at here for townpoints...".

The plan sounds clever in itself, but apparently I'm not feeling in a trusting mood this morning.

No, none of what I know about my role that led me to thinking of this plan is based on wording in my QT. I simply know that the way things are for my character in the show and the way things are for my character in this game are not exactly the same. Artistic liberties have been taken. That was what led me to think that LL might go for something beautiful-that-works-for-mafia with Bart, such as SK who can convert to universe-aligned.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 14, 2018, 06:55:22 pm »

vote: e for being uncharacteristically unreasonable

Uncharacteristically? This is one of my better early D1 cases

I'm sorry, but to this day I haven't seen you say a single orignal statement in your so-called case on me. All you've done is repeat weak echoes of what other people have said. How could this possibly be one of your better D1 cases?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 47  All

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 20 queries.