Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 47  All

Author Topic: RMM50: Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (Game Over!)  (Read 141375 times)

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
    • View Profile
Re: RMM50: Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (D1)
« Reply #225 on: September 14, 2018, 06:57:31 pm »

Alignment changing is usually bastard. Lately we've played with it with warnings ahead of time. But there are no warnings of that sort in the OP. When I was a seriously nerfed serial killer in Modern Community, I pretended to be a psychiatrist hoping someone would counterclaim me and make me town. Found out later my claim should have been obviously false because changing alignment would be bastard. So my desperate hope for sanity was not to be.

I don't think alignment changing is bastard if you're the only person in your alignment and you're the one actively choosing to change your alignment.

Awaclus is correct. Everyone who tries to shoot down the plan is wrong.
This is the kind of plan where mini-claims lead to questions that lead to more claims by more people and next thing you know town has revealed too much. I've seen it happen more than once.

Unfortunately, after Ash posted his thing, this already turned out to be correct with Morgrim and Awaclus revealing flavor. However, this was not my intention. I specifically wanted us to talk about hypotheticals so that no one would end up giving scum real information that would help scum. I knew it was a risk, but thought that getting the conversation going was worth the risk. And, in the end, the damage is not so bad (yet).
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 14, 2018, 06:59:07 pm »

What if Bart the SK is bulletproof but only until they get converted? Or what if Bart is already town and not an SK at all? Orrr what if... I could come up with other scenarios!

It was watching the show that led to me thinking that it was a real possibility. I admit it was only ever 10% likely to be true, if that. (I mean, it is or is not true, so percentages don't make much sense here, but still...)

Anyway, you hated it. I get it. At least I got you to take a stance on something!

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 14, 2018, 07:02:07 pm »

In other news, scumpoints for those who've decided not to bother contributing to D1 until Ash has come back in with his grand plan. There's no way his idea can be worth stalling the game over. This is D1 in an RMM: he's not going to solve the setup.

What's the benefit of him posting an intent to post a plan, anyway? At best, it meets a busy person's their daily posting quota without actually resorting to fluff. In reality, it's encouraging the game to stall or to discuss Ash the player, rather than anything relevant to the current game.

Please resume normal D1 accusations, buddying, bussing, and the posting of theories of questionable worth now :-)

I had limited time, and saw a strategic value in delaying all of what I am saying now. I had to delay longer than I wanted to because of IRL. You of all people should know that not just scum comes in to say "I want to post my thoughts but don't have time." You do that, I feel, somewhat often.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 14, 2018, 07:05:33 pm »

Anyway, sorry for the giant text wall. I think I'm done now.

Here's something more important than defending myself.

WCD has posted, like, nothing but clarifications on the flavor in this game. Reads like newbie!scum to me.

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 14, 2018, 09:46:34 pm »

I’m into it. vote: wcd

Also will be unavailable entirely tomorrow.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 14, 2018, 10:43:16 pm »

vote: wcd
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 14, 2018, 11:04:45 pm »

We really should ne able to do better than lynching the newbie. vote: chairs

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #232 on: September 14, 2018, 11:54:18 pm »

vote: silver
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Swowl
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 15, 2018, 01:34:42 am »

I like Iguanas responses. They make a good point as probably not doing it as the SK which makes sense. I do not believe that they have nothing in their flavor to suggest that promoting this plan would make sense though. Then i am torn because i don’t see why skum would risk putting their neck out with the plan...

At this point i don’t think an iguana lynch would be too great an idea. The only upside would be having the flip come out to gauge the responses people gave to the plan with a known constant. But i don’t think we find skum in the lynch.
Jesus how did i fuck that up
real good. That’s how
Town:  14 wins, 14 losses (1 MVP)
Skum: 7 wins, 7 losses (1 MVP)
3-Party: 4 wins, 1 loss

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 15, 2018, 01:36:37 am »

Anyway, sorry for the giant text wall. I think I'm done now.

Here's something more important than defending myself.

WCD has posted, like, nothing but clarifications on the flavor in this game. Reads like newbie!scum to me.

I played the same way in my first RMM as Town!Noob bc i was trying to wrap my head around the game.
real good. That’s how

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 15, 2018, 01:38:54 am »

vote: Galz

Pretty much just for the super lurk.
real good. That’s how

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 15, 2018, 08:28:12 am »

As to the content of my posts, fair point. I’m rather intimidated and trying to figure out how I can best engage. And don’t forget when I posted early on about my experience thus far I got mod-smacked for talking about other games. Chills the environment...

I also think that the stuff I’m talking about flavor-clarification wise is helpful. The characters and factions are really twisted and there were folks thinking Awaclus’ claim was three people, when it’s really just one guy. Zimmerman is a cop. That’s helpful, too.

Based on the show, I think Bart has to be in the game and I’d guess that she is either not aligned and a serial killer or a town aligned killer (is that a vig?). On the show, she always kills the right person, and can’t be hurt. So maybe she is bulletproof. I’m not Bart, so I don’t know for sure. But that is what I’d guess. Not having a Bart would be a big hole in the flavor. But I also think there are probably LOTS of people with powers. To see connections, to draw energy, to switch bodies, to resurrect, to time travel. How do you do those in a forum...don’t know.

As for plans and what to do, we’ll, heck if I know. I’m trying to follow along but it’s like entering a conversation that’s been going on for days (years) before I got here. So I listen and follow along and try to make sense of it. I’m smart enough not to tell my role unless I think it helps someone else who needs that information. And I’m not sure I have enough game understanding to hypothesize.

But, dude, I’m trying. I’m posting and reading and showing up. I’m not sure I’d bother if I was scum. Better to just be off the radar, yes?
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 15, 2018, 09:35:34 am »

That’s fair. And I suppose giving newbies a day one pass is kinda standard procedure, isn’t it?

I’ll go back to vote: silver
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 15, 2018, 09:39:11 am »

So you don't like lynching the newbie on principal. But aside from that, what do you think of her play?

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 15, 2018, 09:46:11 am »

As to the content of my posts, fair point. I’m rather intimidated and trying to figure out how I can best engage. And don’t forget when I posted early on about my experience thus far I got mod-smacked for talking about other games. Chills the environment...

I also think that the stuff I’m talking about flavor-clarification wise is helpful. The characters and factions are really twisted and there were folks thinking Awaclus’ claim was three people, when it’s really just one guy. Zimmerman is a cop. That’s helpful, too.

Based on the show, I think Bart has to be in the game and I’d guess that she is either not aligned and a serial killer or a town aligned killer (is that a vig?). On the show, she always kills the right person, and can’t be hurt. So maybe she is bulletproof. I’m not Bart, so I don’t know for sure. But that is what I’d guess. Not having a Bart would be a big hole in the flavor. But I also think there are probably LOTS of people with powers. To see connections, to draw energy, to switch bodies, to resurrect, to time travel. How do you do those in a forum...don’t know.

As for plans and what to do, we’ll, heck if I know. I’m trying to follow along but it’s like entering a conversation that’s been going on for days (years) before I got here. So I listen and follow along and try to make sense of it. I’m smart enough not to tell my role unless I think it helps someone else who needs that information. And I’m not sure I have enough game understanding to hypothesize.

But, dude, I’m trying. I’m posting and reading and showing up. I’m not sure I’d bother if I was scum. Better to just be off the radar, yes?

The problem is that scum likes to post helpful things, maybe even more than town does.

Often, the easiest helpful things to post are things about the setup (in this case, the setup-related stuff we've discussed is mostly flavor.) These are things equally easy for people of either alignment to analyze, so doing that kind of analysis looks surface-level pro-town and is therefore often a scum tactic.

I understand that you didn't have much to say about any of the plans, but what about scum reads or town reads or literally anything mafia-related?

You say you would post even less as scum. But your count before this post was 9-1 /in, so 8 posts. 2 of those were basically introducing yourself to the players. Then 6 of them were comments on the flavor, doing that pro-town-but-easy-for-scum thing that newbie!scum often do.

To me, that looks like you were participating the minimum amount that you hoped would make people not notice you or call you a lurker, without really actually engaging in the game of mafia we are playing at all.

[P.S. sorry, getting tunnelled is a real pain regardless of alignment and it can feel bad. So hopefully you don't take this personally. I'm just playing to my win-con right now by doing my best to find scum. Nothing against you!]

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: September 15, 2018, 09:52:35 am »

There is no norm not to lynch noobies day 1. There is a norm not to lynch noobies day 1 in their first game.

That said, WCD is one of the players I almost certainly won't vote for today

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 15, 2018, 09:53:54 am »

iguana is town and Awaclus is annoyingly probably town. the people to look at here are e and ... actually I don't know if anyone else is, really..

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 15, 2018, 09:55:25 am »

ashersky, perhaps. vote: ash

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 15, 2018, 10:14:20 am »

There is no norm not to lynch noobies day 1. There is a norm not to lynch noobies day 1 in their first game.

Why plz?

Also Are you trying to recreate your scum meta from emotions mafia by hard whiteknighting me again?

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 15, 2018, 10:40:46 am »

Hhhmmm....re #139 long Igu post about me not posting much (phone quoting is hard)...
I’ll have to count when I’m on a computer but I’m reasonably sure I’m not the lowest level poster and my posts have been far longer than the one line gkrieg and silver posts.

Al of which is to say, I’m not doing nothing nor trying to be minimally engaged. And thanks for the hat tip. I’m trying not to take it personally and know you (likely) are justctrying to get me to contribute something of substance. (Again, trying. Y’all know there isn’t a users manual or instruction book, right?)

Currently, the votes on Galz and e seem to me to have the best reasoning. I can’t say that I have a real read on anyone so I’m looking at the logic others employ.

Vote: e
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 15, 2018, 11:32:00 am »

vote: Galz

Pretty much just for the super lurk.

That's fair lol. I'm about 50ish posts back from here - at work until 9:00pm FT today, but will get caught up tonight.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 15, 2018, 12:07:58 pm »

So you don't like lynching the newbie on principal. But aside from that, what do you think of her play?
It's like you described. I just think calling it scummy is basically arbitrary. Like DatSwan said, newbie town play the same way.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 15, 2018, 12:13:47 pm »

It's like you described. I just think calling it scummy is basically arbitrary. Like DatSwan said, newbie town play the same way.
I'm not saying I would never lynch a newbie, but I think the people jumping on her wagon look scummier than she does. We did used to have a Day 1 pass for newbies, though. Been awhile.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 15, 2018, 01:06:09 pm »

Why plz?
It's a secret.

Also Are you trying to recreate your scum meta from emotions mafia by hard whiteknighting me again?

What are you talking about? When did I even suggest that you are townie?

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 47  All

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 19 queries.