Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mobile MOBAs  (Read 2601 times)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
Mobile MOBAs
« on: August 27, 2018, 05:45:42 pm »

I've been playing League of Legends casually for just under a year, and a few months back I discovered Arena of Valor, a mobile MOBA from the parent company behind League. I was surprised by how well they translated the MOBA experience into a quick but satisfying mobile format. After playing quite a bit of AoV, I discovered a new mobile MOBA, Onmyoji Arena, last month. It has a very cool and cohesive Japanese art style and the character design seems creative and smart. I'm extremely impressed and it has pretty much replaced AoV since finding it.

There are a few other big mobile MOBAs out there - Vainglory, Mobile Legends - but I haven't played any others. Anyone else play these games, especially Arena of Valor or Onmyoji Arena?
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Mobile MOBAs
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 03:35:49 am »

Do you have a hella commute or something? 

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 10:30:18 am »

Do you have a hella commute or something?

Nah, and I drive so on my commute I listen to podcasts or audiobooks. Onmyoji Arena typically takes 10-20 minutes so I can play in situations when I wouldn't have time for league of legends, like in bed, on the couch while watching a show, or in the bathroom. :P

Overall if all else was equal I might choose Onmyoji over league even if I had the time, because I could play a couple games in the same amount of time and because the skill floor for certain roles is lower. Mainly - I'm pretty bad at last hitting in league, which mostly relegates me to playing support (which is fine, I like that role). But in OA, last hitting is still a thing but until you get to the really high ranks, it's possible to succeed and carry the team without last hitting every minion.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 02:30:23 am »

I can't play action games in bed and still get sleepy.  If you can, then I get it, I can see how that's a niche.  Especially if grinding ranks feels "productive". I have to stick to turn based fare.

I don't have other short blocks of time that would fit a mobile Moba.  I try to give anything worth watching my full attention.

Thanks for sharing your experience, it is one of those things one can't learn unless one asks.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 10:41:40 pm »

So this is on the switch now.  After I beat Celeste I am thinking about playing it on Switch.

My main concern is, do I have to fight people playing Mobile while on the Switch, and do the people on Mobile have better controls than I do?

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 03:25:29 pm »

Yeah! I've played Arena of Valor on the switch several times now, I was actually part of a beta test a few months back.

The controls are slightly slower on switch. I thought they would be much worse for heroes who rely on skillshots, but it only feels like a slight loss of speed/control - it's a lot better than I expected.

At this point there is no crossplay between switch and mobile. Even the accounts are separate, although there is a way to sort-of semi link them. I haven't done this yet so I don't know exactly what it entails.

I'm not sure whether I'll end up playing a ton on switch, but my name is DieselRunner (for both mobile and switch). Feel free to add me!

Edit: Also you need the Nintendo online service to play against anything but bots. This is probably a given but I wanted to point it out.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 03:26:38 pm by Dsell »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 09:32:48 pm »

Awesome thanks!  Dieselrunner isn't a netrunner reference right?

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 02:03:54 am »

Awesome thanks!  Dieselrunner isn't a netrunner reference right?

It is!! Partially. It's a reference to several things - I often go by Dsell or Diesel because irl I'm D. Sellers. My favorite games/playstyles are the ones that let me create engines, so diesel is a fun reference to that. And years back I was a very avid runner/sprinter as well...I should get back into that. But yes, the nickname first came about during the time that I was getting to play lots of Netrunner, and my favorite runner faction is Shaper (Diesel is one of the core cards of the Shaper library, for anyone not familiar). The name works great for me on a lot of levels. :)

I'm really sad that Netrunner is ending. I managed to find 3 copies of Reign and Reverie, which were just delivered today. It's really reminding me that the game is swiftly coming to a close. :(

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 08:05:12 pm »
+1

Yeah Netrunner is an incredible game.  Shaper is my favorite runner faction too.

Also, I vigorously criticize anyone and everyone who doesn't run 3 Diesel.  You always run all 3 Diesel.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.