Author Topic: Smite  (Read 1911 times)

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
Smite
« on: August 21, 2018, 05:40:07 pm »
+1

I'm sure this sort of idea has been thought of before, but I was thinking of how a sort of upgraded version of Dominate would work as a card and not an event, and here is what I came up with:

Smite

You may gain a Colony. If you gain a Colony, gain a curse. If you do, +42 vp tokens
Trash your deck
Your Opponents must reveal their hands. If they reveal any victory cards, all victory cards in hand must be trashed.
Your Opponents must trash all victory cards in their discard pile.
The no. of Smites in the Smite pile is equal to the no. of players - 1.
This is not an Event or a Landmark, but an additional Supply pile
Cost: $75 $74 1 Potion

I know this is probably a really awful card concept, but it'd be interesting to see if it could be made into something workable, albeit completely insane.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 05:47:11 pm by Trogdor the Burninator »
Dominion.games username: Jolinar of Malkshur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHF_bIjIPAE

(I did not create the Trogdor the Burninator song nor am I associated with its producers in any way.  I just think it sounds cool. :P)

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
Re: Smite
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 05:44:46 pm »
+3

The price is slightly off, I would playtest it at a price of 74 Coins and

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 05:47:21 pm »

I like it!

(I did not create the Trogdor the Burninator song nor am I associated with its producers in any way.  I just think it sounds cool. :P)

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 09:37:47 pm »
+2

So, it's basically a super-de-duper reverse Tactician: Get a blowout turn now, forfeit all your other turns for the rest of the game. In principle it seems interesting, but in 2-player it will just be the other guy playing Solitaire for the rest of the game.

The natural next step, mathematically, would be something that costs $17 and gives 21 VP. Maybe:

Conqueror
Victory - $17
Worth 1 VP
When you gain this, gain 2 Colonies, setting them aside.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 09:42:59 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 10:00:56 pm »

So, it's basically a super-de-duper reverse Tactician: Get a blowout turn now, forfeit all your other turns for the rest of the game. In principle it seems interesting, but in 2-player it will just be the other guy playing Solitaire for the rest of the game.

The natural next step, mathematically, would be something that costs $17 and gives 21 VP. Maybe:

Conqueror
Victory - $17
Worth 1 VP

I do see the point about the card turning the game into Solitaire, but if you're at the point where you're able to get $74 (and a Potion) in hand at once through various means, which doesn't really happen that often, you're probably either neck-in-neck with your opponent in some sort of a Dominion version of an arms race or you've absolutely stomped your opponent into the ground and you're going for a final mega-turn. 

This could be a completely incorrect assumption of course, as I don't really see myself as an expert in the game, but in my experience, just getting to or above $20 with some extra actions or buys (if available) is usually seen as a mega-turn, and getting to $50+ is seen as a stratospheric sort of mega-turn and is usually a lot rarer (than getting to somewhere around $20).

The tl; dr version of the last two paragraphs I guess is that the card is designed to introduce a sort of "final blow" mechanic to the game.
(Which is why the it states that there's one less card than players in the stockpile, meaning that there'd be only one Smite in its supply pile in a 2-player game)

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 10:35:18 pm »

The tl; dr version of the last two paragraphs I guess is that the card is designed to introduce a sort of "final blow" mechanic to the game.

Megaturns are already a "final blow" mechanic.

silvern

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 11:29:12 pm »
+3

I don't really think Lurker needed this boost!

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 12:54:34 am »
+1

I don't really think Lurker needed this boost!
Twist: Smite is actually a Night card.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 08:24:58 am »

Conqueror
Victory - $17
Worth 1 VP

To elaborate/give context on why this is correct, compare the basic Victory cards plus Dominate, and you will find that while they are all exactly 3 coins apart in cost, the point difference increases by one each step. Estate to Duchy is 2, Duchy to Province 3, Province to Colony 4, Colony to Dominate 5, Dominate to this 6... So next would cost 20 and give 28 points, then 23 coins for 36 points, then 26 for 45 points, and for 29 you'd already get 55... And so on.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 08:26:32 am by Asper »

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 08:46:07 am »

No need to argue, Trogdor already provided the answer to life, the universe and everything.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.