Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Most hated attacks?  (Read 9692 times)

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
Re: Most hated attacks?
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2018, 05:45:02 pm »

Disappointed that Hauted Castle didn't make the list in the "not really an attack" category.

Only happening once makes it pretty bearable.
Bearable yes but it still functions like an attack. More disappointed from a completionist perspective than something I’d vote for.

I feel like Masquerade should be there too. I don't hate it as much as the other cards I mentioned, but man does that card infuriate me a lot of the time.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2018, 07:36:00 pm »

Disappointed that Hauted Castle didn't make the list in the "not really an attack" category.

Hey, I had a game recently were I "attacked" with it multiple times.

cascadestyler

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: cascadestyler
  • Vamos Cuidadanos!
  • Respect: +149
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2018, 04:56:30 am »

Hey, I had a game recently were I "attacked" with it multiple times.

That happened to me recently - having your opponent repeatedly gain it from the trash it really nasty
"You can't help people being right for the wrong reasons...This fear of finding oneself in bad company is not an expression of political purity; it is an expression of a lack of self-confidence."

- Arthur Koestler

Friendlyone1

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
    • 12 adult sex chat roulette sites
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2018, 05:03:53 am »

So, did Possession win? lol

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2018, 07:58:20 am »
+1

I can't help but think that this is an odd survey. I love attacks, they are my favourite mechanism in the game I must say and without it Dominion probably would be a game that couldn't catch my interest for too long. Strong, well-balanced, attacks are yum. All love to Mountebank and Goons. The fact that many of the cards without the attack type can intervene with other players deck shows that this types of interactions are essential to the game.

Now I'm not saying that anyone here disagrees with me necessarily, I just rather want to chose which attack I love the most. (Swindler, I think.)

I chose Urchin however. I've been trying for a while to always open Urchin/Urchin and I have yet to feel that that was the wrong choice. The chance to get a salty opponent yelling about "luck" when you hit Mercenary turn 3 is rather high too. Could be without, honestly.
S

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2018, 09:39:50 am »
+4

I really wish Urchin cost $4.

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2018, 01:45:55 pm »

I can't help but think that this is an odd survey. I love attacks, they are my favourite mechanism in the game I must say and without it Dominion probably would be a game that couldn't catch my interest for too long. Strong, well-balanced, attacks are yum. All love to Mountebank and Goons. The fact that many of the cards without the attack type can intervene with other players deck shows that this types of interactions are essential to the game.

Now I'm not saying that anyone here disagrees with me necessarily, I just rather want to chose which attack I love the most. (Swindler, I think.)

I chose Urchin however. I've been trying for a while to always open Urchin/Urchin and I have yet to feel that that was the wrong choice. The chance to get a salty opponent yelling about "luck" when you hit Mercenary turn 3 is rather high too. Could be without, honestly.

so the survey was fine since you found a totally valid answer with reasoning. i am in no way saying go hate all the attacks because they are bad. but some just feel worse then others.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2018, 02:05:48 pm »

I had a game not too long ago where I went Urchin/Urchin, hit it early, and it was absolutely the wrong choice. Struggling to remember what my opponent did, unfortunately.

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2018, 04:58:21 pm »

so the survey was fine since you found a totally valid answer with reasoning. i am in no way saying go hate all the attacks because they are bad. but some just feel worse then others.

Of course, do every survey you like! I'm just a bit sad to see the title "hated attacks" showing up from time to time and wanted to vent. Wasn't meant to criticise you, very much not.   

There is also the thing that there is many threads about how bad certain cards and how we feel about that and even though it's understandable (there is not much to discuss coming to the things what we like about the game) it can sometimes be tiresome.

Whatever, hope you'll get the result you are looking for :)
S

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2018, 05:01:51 pm »

Definitely Warrior.  Only because it can trash the opponents warrior though.  Other than that, it is totally fine.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2018, 05:34:46 pm »

I understand the hate for Warriors killing other Warriors, that also happened to me in one of my first Adventures games. But it is thematically sensible and mechanically quite interesting as it makes you consider buying an extra Page lest one gets slaughtered as well as the downside of it (if you do e.g. not need a Warrior once you are in the Chamipon stage as there is better draw in the Kingdom).

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2018, 08:33:51 pm »

Warriors killing Warriors is a bit swingy, I agree. On the other hand, it is often interesting to have to think about either how you're going to protect your Warrior, or how you're going to get yours played before your opponent's.

Provided the question has an answer. Preferably a choice between competing answers. If there's nothing you can do but hope, that sucks.

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2018, 02:31:02 pm »

I understand the hate for Warriors killing other Warriors, that also happened to me in one of my first Adventures games. But it is thematically sensible and mechanically quite interesting as it makes you consider buying an extra Page lest one gets slaughtered as well as the downside of it (if you do e.g. not need a Warrior once you are in the Chamipon stage as there is better draw in the Kingdom).

Eh I don't play Dominion for theme.  I just wish it said "Trashes a card costing $3 or $4 other than a Warrior or Treasure Hunter" It's the worst when your opponent gets 2, or even just one extra mega Champion turn.  It's game over.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2018, 02:52:14 pm »
+1

Eh I don't play Dominion for theme.  I just wish it said "Trashes a card costing $3 or $4 other than a Warrior or Treasure Hunter" It's the worst when your opponent gets 2, or even just one extra mega Champion turn.  It's game over.

Why not just "other than a Traveller"?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2018, 04:36:16 pm »

If you consider the payoff of Warriors killing of other Warriors as strong, simply buy an extra Page to either defend against that to achieve that lovely trick yourself. While there is luck involved in Warrior kills Warrior the way to hedge against that is cheap and not a matter of whoever hits $5 and gains a Mountebank/Cultist first most likely wins.

This whole Warrior thing is similar to other trashing Attacks like Knights against which you can also defend by gaining Knights. Knights are admittedly more interesting as the buy decision is far more difficult than with Page.

missouriben

• Pawn
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2018, 06:32:19 pm »
+1

Ghost Ship for me--just turns the game into such a slog a high percentage of the time because of the top-decking.

I actually don't mind card-reducing attacks--Goons is probably my single favorite card in Dominion just because its high cost and the need to try to hit multiples of it even when starting from a three-card hand often makes for some creative deck-building problems right from the start. But the top-decking with Ghost Ship can just make a game stall out.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2018, 10:01:54 pm »

If 1E isn't part of the "those we do not speak of", then Saboteur when there are newbies around, or Spy when you have players that aren't paying attention.

Barring those, I'd go with Ghost Ship.  Things do drag with it.

I really wish Urchin cost $4.
Curious, is that how you play it?
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2018, 05:20:02 pm »

Why not just "other than a Traveller"?

Because I didn't think of that.

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2018, 11:04:44 am »
+2

If you consider the payoff of Warriors killing of other Warriors as strong, simply buy an extra Page to either defend against that to achieve that lovely trick yourself. While there is luck involved in Warrior kills Warrior the way to hedge against that is cheap and not a matter of whoever hits $5 and gains a Mountebank/Cultist first most likely wins.

This whole Warrior thing is similar to other trashing Attacks like Knights against which you can also defend by gaining Knights. Knights are admittedly more interesting as the buy decision is far more difficult than with Page.

But it's not as simple as "buy another Page" -- sure, this helps you from having to go through the whole Traveller line again, but even if you do have a second Page, you likely won't have it at the same Warrior stage quite yet (unless you open Page/Page, I guess). You'll still have to go through another shuffle or two, while your opponent already has a Hero. Missing shuffles puts you at a big disadvantage.

Knights are different because the attacking Knight gets trashed, too. To me, they're just fodder for protecting other cards (Silver is similar). If the Warrior got trashed if it trashed another Warrior, then that would be an interesting card.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 11:06:13 am by mameluke »

Screwyioux

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: JakeTheZipper
  • Respect: +226
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2018, 11:18:38 am »

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 21 queries.