Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24  All

Author Topic: Newbie Mafia 12: Your Favorite Animal Mafia (Game Over! Town wins flawlessly)  (Read 70642 times)

phyphor

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Mafia 12: Your Favorite Animal Mafia (Day 1!)
« Reply #350 on: August 21, 2018, 02:32:58 pm »

I also disagree with everything mcmc is saying. phyphor is the player that I want to lynch the least second to myself

This makes things awkward for me because, having re-read the thread (and added a signature now, as requested), you are one of the players that made me suspicious.

FWIW we should absolutely lynch someone today, because watching how voting happens gives us information for the lynch tomorrow, but I haven't seen a good enough reason to unvote.
I'd rather I wasn't lynched, obviously, and I'm not sure why the axe has started swinging back on to me.

As I'm at L-1 I feel I should say that, as I understand it, we townfolk shouldn't have anything to worry about the mafia preventing a town role from working. Which should make it clear what I am actually saying, and why lynching me is unwise.

I am not confident in my read of the situation with UncleEurope, but the person I have the most suspicion of is probably due to my biases even though I try to be objective about things so I'm not going to over-react just because.

I'm also likely to be up for several hours, if this helps, so can discuss further as necessary.
This haiku is bad,
There's no seasonal mention,
Nor the right syllables

hypercube

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: xyrix
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 21, 2018, 02:35:49 pm »

As I'm at L-1 I feel I should say that, as I understand it, we townfolk shouldn't have anything to worry about the mafia preventing a town role from working. Which should make it clear what I am actually saying, and why lynching me is unwise.

Are you claiming something? I honestly can't parse the first sentence.
I have sigs off.

phyphor

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 21, 2018, 02:36:27 pm »

Yes.
This haiku is bad,
Nor the right syllables

phyphor

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 21, 2018, 02:39:33 pm »

• If you have a power role, be very cautious about claiming it. If you're about to be lynched (and I mean intent to hammer, not a couple votes and feeling generally depressed and fatalistic), if you have a guilty result on someone as cop or tracker, if scum just claimed your role or your role makes their claim impossible, if someone you have an innocent result on is about to be lynched, or when it's the last day and it's Lynch or Lose (LyLo), then claim. Not before.
I am saying that, as I understand it, it's not possible for there to be a Mafia Roleblocker.

You should be able to deduce there are only two ways for me to know this to be true (if it is, indeed, true), and that I am, therefore, making a very particular claim to be a specific town role.
This haiku is bad,
Nor the right syllables

hypercube

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 21, 2018, 02:40:01 pm »

Yes.

I think it's pro-town to just say such things in plain English. unvote: phyphor for the moment being however.
I have sigs off.

phyphor

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 21, 2018, 02:45:42 pm »

I am saying, specifically, that we cannot be in an A setup. The only role that is only in setups B and C is Tracker.

If I am lynched then, when I flip town, you will know that I'm telling the truth and the other town role knows they can be effective every night.

Alternatively, I hope that by claiming this it will at least provide a respite. I know that only a Mafia would counter-claim and would definitely be lynched tomorrow for it.

In theory, were I lying, either a Town tracker, or Town Neopolitan would be able to know that for definite - which is 4/9 of the available set-ups (just under half, but still bad odds to make a bad claim).
This haiku is bad,
Nor the right syllables

hypercube

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 21, 2018, 02:48:55 pm »

OK, I'm not sure how to weigh my fairly strong scumread on you against the potential utility of a Tracker. It'd be nice if the vets could weigh in at this point.
I have sigs off.

phyphor

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 21, 2018, 02:55:01 pm »

OK, I'm not sure how to weigh my fairly strong scumread on you against the potential utility of a Tracker. It'd be nice if the vets could weigh in at this point.

If I am scum then lynching me is always good.

If I were vanilla town then lynching me is bad, but could provide information with regards how people vote..

I am claiming a town role, which ups the ante, but we are getting into the last stages of the day so we should vote and a bad vote still tells the town information. Yes, a tracker can provide useful information but that assumes I wouldn't be killed by the mafia anyway.

So, don't worry about the information a tracker can provide so much as when I flip town who looks suspicious and why?
This haiku is bad,
Nor the right syllables

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 21, 2018, 02:56:02 pm »

I agree that this:
The fact that they are now going to take some time (we are running out) and consider what everyone has said makes me think it will be more responding to current posts and not actual reads or a case. Pending more information I am happy with this vote.
is unfair, but
@faust
@Silverspawn
Do you guys disagree with this?
Scum overblows the amount of pressure they are under more often then town.

No, I'd sign below that.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 21, 2018, 02:58:38 pm »

This makes things awkward for me because, having re-read the thread (and added a signature now, as requested), you are one of the players that made me suspicious.

Eh, so what? That doesn't make you scummier.

Ok so we're not going to lynch a player who claimed, so how about we go back to simon?

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: August 21, 2018, 02:59:34 pm »

Worth noting, I do think having a power role also makes people more likely to overblow the amount of pressure they are under.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 21, 2018, 03:00:43 pm »

Yes, please!

Also, with the return of UoS, is there any new read on him? It seems like there were a few posts about being miffed that we thought he had disappeared, and then some more posts where he is asking questions, but not a lot going on otherwise.
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 21, 2018, 03:01:41 pm »

Ok so we're not going to lynch a player who claimed, so how about we go back to simon?

Why Simon? Why not UoS?
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

phyphor

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 21, 2018, 03:03:20 pm »

Because voting for someone who is standing up for me can very easily lead to you being a townie and me pushing for the death of an innocent, or you being scum and me being accused of throwing you under the bus to save myself.

It's never a good look!

What's the justification for Simon? I didn't see any wagoning for it to be "going back to".
This haiku is bad,
Nor the right syllables

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 21, 2018, 03:09:09 pm »

Easy; toss out your read and take the utility of a tracker.

Two reasons for this. First, reads in general are terrible, as I've said earlier. I know this is different in RL mafia, but forum mafia is just intrinsically so hard that games are balanced around town doing a bit better than random. So even a confident read shouldn't move your estimate by very much, and this is day 1, so your read probably shouldn't be confident.

Second, with player claiming a power role in an open setup like this it's just strictly better to let it live. Tomorrow, either it's dead or not. If it is, then it was clearly better not to lynch it. If it's not, then tomorrow it claims a result and we can make the same decision with more information, so it was better not to lynch it. There's only a tiny advantage to lynching a mafia player earlier rather than later.

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 21, 2018, 03:10:14 pm »

How about you explaining why you are on me in the first place?

Extremely odd claim, I'm inclined to not believe it, but it's too risky lynching a claimed player. It'll have to wait.

I'm also wondering about why you have such a strong town-read on Phyphor. You are acting very suspicious lately.

I could do UoS. In fact, Hyper doesn't seem to happening. vote: UoS
S

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 21, 2018, 03:11:16 pm »

What's the justification for Simon?

Their posts, particularly under pressure, rub me the wrong way. I know that is an incredibly convincing case. No, don't thank me.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 21, 2018, 03:11:51 pm »

Ok I'll do a targeted reread and see if I can put it into words. But it's very possible that I can't because it's so much based on tone.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 21, 2018, 03:14:03 pm »

• If you have a power role, be very cautious about claiming it. If you're about to be lynched (and I mean intent to hammer, not a couple votes and feeling generally depressed and fatalistic), if you have a guilty result on someone as cop or tracker, if scum just claimed your role or your role makes their claim impossible, if someone you have an innocent result on is about to be lynched, or when it's the last day and it's Lynch or Lose (LyLo), then claim. Not before.
I am saying that, as I understand it, it's not possible for there to be a Mafia Roleblocker.
The way I see it, there is exactly one way, and that is that you are a Tracker, so if you are, please cut the cryptic nonsense and claim it, and if you aren't, explain yourself.

vote: phyphor

L-1[/list]
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 21, 2018, 03:15:09 pm »

In theory, were I lying, either a Town tracker, or Town Neopolitan would be able to know that for definite - which is 4/9 of the available set-ups (just under half, but still bad odds to make a bad claim).
A1 has a Neapolitan and a Roleblocker.

Uncleeurope

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 21, 2018, 03:17:29 pm »

Simon has definitely had a lot of aggression cast towards him, and seems to at least be the verbal successor to your death.

I am unsure, but am definitely going to unvote, at least for the time being.

This is a really sad turn of events to have to deal with.

Simon, Snow, and Silver are the ones I am squinting at currently: The "S-Crowd"

With a preference for Snow/Silver, but seeing as the crowd is more interested in Simon, and he is third on the list, I guess it's fine since someone has to die.

I also am interested if we get a counter-claim for a power role and Phyphor is still a baddie making a play.
Don't worry, no one can read uncle correctly.

Uncleeurope Eddie

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 21, 2018, 03:17:46 pm »

Hm, yes, faust is right.

By the way, this is useful to know: if you want to do a targeted reread of someone, click on "All" next to the page numbers, press CTRL+F, and put in some unique string that only appears in the desired player's  description. For simon that's "Posts: 62". Then by pressing enter you jump from post to post.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 21, 2018, 03:18:15 pm »

The gut feelings from Faust and now also WCD are bad and you should feel.. something else, I suggest.
Umbrages comeback hits me as scummy too somewhat, might be the frustration thing, but the case against Europe seems also rather forced. Faust, how are your gut feeling about UoS now?
I don't like all this "why not UoS" stuff. Not the suspicion itself but the way people (especially Simon and faust) have been subtly building up that narrative over time.

I think faust is town, and he actually had reads on Simon, it wasn't all gut. Happy to 1v1 Simon if that's where we're going with this.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 21, 2018, 03:18:19 pm »

Here is a probability argument: For scum in phyphor's situation, it is probably good to fakeclaim. So say scum!phyphor fakeclaims 50% of the time. If phyphor is town, then the probability of it actually having a PR is just under 2/7 (or 2/6 if you yourself have no PR, or 1/6 if you do). So actually phyphor claiming increases the chance of it being scum.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 21, 2018, 03:19:15 pm »

A1 has a Neapolitan and a Roleblocker.
It means that Neapolitan never occurs with Tracker, so it's a valid counterclaim.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.