Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24  All

Author Topic: Newbie Mafia 12: Your Favorite Animal Mafia (Game Over! Town wins flawlessly)  (Read 70765 times)

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Mafia 12: Your Favorite Animal Mafia (Day 1!)
« Reply #200 on: August 19, 2018, 06:12:53 pm »

Eddie, your signature is EVERYTHING!
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 19, 2018, 06:21:22 pm »

As for Phy, him piggybacking off of cheese, who was uber-scummish, doesn't help his case. I know they have the same role.

Then phy comes in with the goal of not lynching anyone while putting me at vote #3. Super aggressive way to not kill someone. His initial post just struck me as odd, and I get the feeling that would be the case regardless of who he voted for, but I am willing to admit that defensive bias might play into this. I dunno, phy just doesn't sit right with me.

I wonder why Muenster flaked. Was he a vanilla townie and bored by the idea? It seems like if he had been scum he might have felt more compelled to be engaged. But that is 100% impossible to know. I just wonder.

I agree on it (its pronoun choice...sigh) being weird out of the gate and the “it’s gonna be a no lunch” and saying zippo about it’s experience. Super strange to me, but not sure if it’s scummy yet.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 19, 2018, 06:35:36 pm »

I wonder a bit about your view of Alina. Do you think it is townie to not move the game forward or are you just giving her sort of a newbie-pass in general? I'm eager to hear her responses to what have happened recently, right now she sinks a little bit into the scummier areas, more because of vagueness than anything else.

Right now, sort of a newbie pass but the expiration date on that is nearing because her engagement level is really low and she hasn’t shared much by way of impression or thoughts in any substantive manner. The longer that takes the more lurkier and scummier it appears. Of course, I am only just now getting to the impression sharing point myself so some slack is okay. That being said, I am also looking forward to her take...

hypercube

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: xyrix
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 19, 2018, 06:54:53 pm »

"Appearing to be helpful without actually being helpful" (proposed by both Uncle and Simon) seems a useful criteria, and by that one Hypercube is aces. Lots of one-line commentary that revealed little, and jumping on the Uncle wagon, but remarking on the kindness of being amenable but not wanting to but him on L-1, seems an attempt to bolster his town-cred without actually having to do anything. My current most scummy.

I would say that I've contributed above average to this game. My observation of your flip-flop regarding lurkers led to a significant discussion of your thoughts there. By comparison I don't think you or Europe have done much other than defend yourselves until this point.

To those who don't like my one-line commentary, well, that's how I'm finding it easiest to read and respond to things so hopefully you'll learn to cope.

Simon seems to be trying to get things going and stirring things up. Other than his squeamishness about me, its been rather erratic, but when he draws down on Hypercube, the response was along the lines well, there hasn't been much to say and I don't want to chatter needlessly. Faust saying that Simon doesn't really count as a newb is interesting, too. Still, it doesn't really feel like he is working with anyone so townish. But I am more on the fence about him than other towns.

I agree with your characterization of Simon as erratic. I've been reading him the most carefully and haven't come up with anything particularly scummy, so right now I think he's just town who rubs me the wrong way a little bit.
I have sigs off.

hypercube

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 19, 2018, 06:56:38 pm »

Oh, on that note. May I ask new players to get a signature? Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just something that makes it possible to search especially for your posts when rereading.

You can use "xyrix" to find my posts.
I have sigs off.

hypercube

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 19, 2018, 07:07:36 pm »

Well, there is a little more to go on by now, I would say. Care to share any reads?

My strongest scumread at the moment is silver, who has seemed happy to fly under the radar for most of the game. Phypor/muenstercheese have done absolutely nothing towny in their two posts. Uncleeurope's explanation of his vote against faust was decent but he retains a slightly higher than average chance of being scum in my eyes.

You, WCD, and faust are my townreads so far. I agree with the general consensus that WCD did a towny job of talking themselves out of trouble, and faust's thinking has been tracking my own fairly well thus far. The others are null for lack of information mostly.

I have sigs off.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 20, 2018, 03:32:18 am »

Great post, and I agree with much of your observations. Sorry about the "erratic" case against you, the vibe I observed in your earlier posts isn't here at all so I will leave it for now, I think. First hunches are what they are.
I don't like this at all. Simon scumread WCD, and then she makes a single (admittedly decent) post and he drops the whole thing and even apologizes (!) for making a case. This is a buddying tactic and I would expect town who actually scumreads WCD to be a bit more persistent in their reads.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 20, 2018, 03:48:30 am »

Gotta check out the hyper-cool new wagon we have going.

So I'm doing a targeted reread, also to show that off.

So first notable post is here:

muenstercheese is basically notorious for running away from things so it's not terribly surprising he's not here.
If the cheese/now phyphor is town, then scum!cube has little reason to talk about this. It's a soft defense of one of the at the time most lynchable player.

But in the spirit of Lynch All Lurkers
Vote:muenstercheese for being all excited and now suspiciously absent

This is a very fast turn around from "voting for lurkers is no bueno."
So here is hyper pointing out something strange about WCD's behaviour... but not following up with a vote. Note WCD has only one vote on her at that time. You can of course say that this is scum being hedgy and reluctant to vote, but actually I think scum would be pretty happy to take the opportunity to place a vote that seems more solid.

vote: father-brother-continent

This is possibly too apathetic to be scum, or at least if they're scum we can count on them to be apathetic scum.
Continued defense of cheese.

alina and Europe voting for faust without a stated reason is somewhat suspicious to me, explanation please?
And he comes to my aid! Gotta love that rectangular polyhedron!

I'm happy to vote for Uncleeurope but am holding off for now to not put him at L-1.
This on the other hand is not great. Why do you think Eddie is scum?

My strongest scumread at the moment is silver, who has seemed happy to fly under the radar for most of the game. Phypor/muenstercheese have done absolutely nothing towny in their two posts. Uncleeurope's explanation of his vote against faust was decent but he retains a slightly higher than average chance of being scum in my eyes.

You, WCD, and faust are my townreads so far. I agree with the general consensus that WCD did a towny job of talking themselves out of trouble, and faust's thinking has been tracking my own fairly well thus far. The others are null for lack of information mostly.
And finally some reads. silver is an interesting one, I am not really seeing that but it follows naturally from what hyper posted. Interesting that he defended cheese but now puts phyphor as scummy, though it does make some sense.

Question for you, hypercube: How does it make you feel that two of your scumreads, silver and phyphor, are voting for the third, Eddie?

And this is it. I am not seeing much scumminess. I am also not seeing a lack in content that others have claimed.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 20, 2018, 03:54:31 am »

Full disclosure: I had a gut-felt skepticism of the hyper wagon before starting this reread. I try to not let that influence my assessment, but it is good to be aware of your own biases because you can never fully shut them out.

Uncleeurope

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 20, 2018, 05:11:08 am »

Well, it’s nice to see you guys defending each other, at least there’s consistency.

(Also, if you just wanna do one of those nice long posts clearing my name/train too, that’d be awesome.)
Don't worry, no one can read uncle correctly.

Uncleeurope Eddie

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 20, 2018, 05:18:02 am »

Well, it’s nice to see you guys defending each other, at least there’s consistency.

(Also, if you just wanna do one of those nice long posts clearing my name/train too, that’d be awesome.)
Well I'm burnt out now... but why don't you just do it yourself?

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 20, 2018, 06:13:12 am »

Great post, and I agree with much of your observations. Sorry about the "erratic" case against you, the vibe I observed in your earlier posts isn't here at all so I will leave it for now, I think. First hunches are what they are.
I don't like this at all. Simon scumread WCD, and then she makes a single (admittedly decent) post and he drops the whole thing and even apologizes (!) for making a case. This is a buddying tactic and I would expect town who actually scumreads WCD to be a bit more persistent in their reads.

Stop being grumpy. I actually felt a little ashamed or "erratic" scumreading a new player mostly for them being jokey and seemingly themselves. I was a bit afraid that could scare her off and I guess that is what showing here. For a certain personality type the first times you get false accusations D1 could be pretty tough, I am that one myself and I hated the first time people used my writing style and tone as argument for scumpainting me, and I just wanted to reassure a bit that it really was "first scumread"- kind of thing from my side. Maybe unnecessary, everybody should know it's only a game after all, but still. I want the new players to enjoy their experience rather than it being too scary and confusing.

By the way Faust, you seem to think that our reads should be firm and steady already. That is very much not the case for me, this early I change almost post to post and since it was basically one post from WCD plus her generally jokeyness that gave me the scumvibe this post makes her more null, not precisely towney. I think firm reads on D1 would be a mistake, since it is built on almost nothing but gut and I think your approach here is odd. I would suspect players that tunneling people this early a lot more, but neither is really alignment-indicative, it depends on the kingdom player.
S

hypercube

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 20, 2018, 07:08:56 am »

Question for you, hypercube: How does it make you feel that two of your scumreads, silver and phyphor, are voting for the third, Eddie?

Silver's vote for Eddie was interesting:

For the record, my vote was entirely for pressure. Now is the first time that I think I have some kind of read, and it's a town read on WCD. Don't particularly want to explain why.

back to vote: uncle

He had never been voting there or expressing suspicion previously. Phypor/cheese's vote there was similarly unexplained. This makes the two of them look significantly worse, and moves Eddie back into nullish.
I have sigs off.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 20, 2018, 07:19:29 am »

Vote Count 1.6

UmbrageOfSnow (1): faust
silverspawn (1): hypercube
Uncleeurope (3): silverspawn, UmbrageOfSnow, phyphor
faust (1): alinatolm
hypercube (3): Uncleeurope, WestCoastDidds, Simon Jester

With 9 alive it takes 5 to lynch. Day 1 ends Wednesday, August 22 at 5am forum time.

replacement for alinatolm is on the way.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 07:35:03 am by LaLight »
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 20, 2018, 07:45:35 am »

Too bad about all the replacements. It's probably good that LaLight follows through on those quickly as continued lurking can really slow things down. Unfortunately phyphor is also gone again it seems.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 20, 2018, 08:33:01 am »

mcmcsalot replaces alinatolm, effective immediately.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 20, 2018, 08:33:22 am »

Vote Count 1.7

UmbrageOfSnow (1): faust
silverspawn (1): hypercube
Uncleeurope (3): silverspawn, UmbrageOfSnow, phyphor
faust (1): mcmcsalot
hypercube (3): Uncleeurope, WestCoastDidds, Simon Jester

With 9 alive it takes 5 to lynch. Day 1 ends Wednesday, August 22 at 5am forum time.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 20, 2018, 08:35:01 am »

mcmcsalot replaces alinatolm, effective immediately.
Curious, I would have expected Awaclus based on how signups went.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 20, 2018, 08:35:56 am »

Too bad about all the replacements. It's probably good that LaLight follows through on those quickly as continued lurking can really slow things down. Unfortunately phyphor is also gone again it seems.

Too bad, indeed. We hadn’t heard from her or UoS since Saturday, and it was becoming super suspicious to me. And then Phy is suspicious to everyone with the odd statements from out of the gate. With those three just absent from the conversation, I wonder if the rest of us are just looking for anything to get a read and back-biting one another due to the lack of engagement from the rest. The fact that we’re all trying to talk maybe makes us all more town than not, or no?

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 20, 2018, 08:36:55 am »

Also less than 48 hours to deadline. I am not super excited about either of the existing wagons. Would lynch phyphor over both. But preferably Simon or UoS.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 20, 2018, 08:39:48 am »

Too bad, indeed. We hadn’t heard from her or UoS since Saturday, and it was becoming super suspicious to me. And then Phy is suspicious to everyone with the odd statements from out of the gate. With those three just absent from the conversation, I wonder if the rest of us are just looking for anything to get a read and back-biting one another due to the lack of engagement from the rest. The fact that we’re all trying to talk maybe makes us all more town than not, or no?
How active you are very rarely has anything to do with your alignment. Not posting for more than 24 hours is breaking the rules, I would hope that noone does so intentionally. The most likely explanation is that things got busy. But we should prod them as soon as we can.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 20, 2018, 08:53:20 am »

Now that mcmc is here, the vet thing becomes less relevant. But, hm, I don't really want to vote for any of them.

Also less than 48 hours to deadline. I am not super excited about either of the existing wagons. Would lynch phyphor over both. But preferably Simon or UoS.

let's make it happen! vote: Simon

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 20, 2018, 08:55:48 am »

vote: Simon

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 20, 2018, 09:13:26 am »

I’m completely caught up and was following along as the posts came so I haven’t re-read the beginning pages yet. Faust what was your umbrage case I can’t remember it at all and was really surprised when I hit a vote count with your vote on him.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 20, 2018, 09:17:25 am »

Oh and unvote
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24  All

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 20 queries.