Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24  All

Author Topic: Newbie Mafia 12: Your Favorite Animal Mafia (Game Over! Town wins flawlessly)  (Read 70698 times)

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Mafia 12: Your Favorite Animal Mafia (Day 1!)
« Reply #175 on: August 19, 2018, 12:09:30 pm »

Does anyone find the name "Uncle Europe" curious? I mean Europa was mythologically a woman and hence would have a hard time being an uncle. So maybe it means "uncle of Europe" some research leads me to on of her uncles: Belos, King of Egypt (and son of Poseidon).

So I think Belos should totally be a valid nickname for Uncleeurope.

The first google-post suggests it has to do with Edward VII and the creation of Entente Cordiale.. the more you know.
S

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 19, 2018, 12:22:59 pm »

Nothing like having to hide inside because the planet is roasting.
Don't think we couldn't roast you as well.

True enough. Thus, the importance of cookie breakfast. Because if your gonna get fried, at least you enjoyed some quality baked good satisfaction along the way.
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

Uncleeurope

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 19, 2018, 12:28:42 pm »

Does anyone find the name "Uncle Europe" curious? I mean Europa was mythologically a woman and hence would have a hard time being an uncle. So maybe it means "uncle of Europe" some research leads me to on of her uncles: Belos, King of Egypt (and son of Poseidon).

I am going to pretend that a logical reasoning behind my name exists. Mainly because listening to over people attempt to decipher it is a lot more enjoyable than expected.
Don't worry, no one can read uncle correctly.

Uncleeurope Eddie

Uncleeurope

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 19, 2018, 12:31:31 pm »

I am going to pretend that a logical reasoning behind my name exists. Mainly because listening to other people attempt to decipher it is a lot more enjoyable than expected.

Fixed

I need to stop doing this on my phone.

Uncleeurope Eddie

phyphor

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 19, 2018, 12:50:49 pm »

phyphar replaces muenstercheese, effective immediately. I can’t do a vote count until evening

Welcome Phyphar! Standard questions: Any previous mafia experience, preferred pronouns and most importantly.. are you scum?

0) LaLight can't spell - my name is phyphor
1) Yes
2) it/its
3) no

Vote: Uncleeurope

Partially to save my own back, but also because setting up three of us to share the votes (by switching to Faust) means we are unlikely to lynch on Day 1.

In general we want to lynch every day, but whilst Day 1 is a day with little information which makes it hard to do a good lynching if we don't lynch anyone we run the risk of having the Mafia take out the good townies (be it because they're good at Mafia or have had to role-claim to save their skin).
This haiku is bad,
There's no seasonal mention,
Nor the right syllables

Simon Jester

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 19, 2018, 12:58:33 pm »

Partially to save my own back, but also because setting up three of us to share the votes (by switching to Faust) means we are unlikely to lynch on Day 1.

In general we want to lynch every day, but whilst Day 1 is a day with little information which makes it hard to do a good lynching if we don't lynch anyone we run the risk of having the Mafia take out the good townies (be it because they're good at Mafia or have had to role-claim to save their skin).

It's unclear if you mean that a no-lynch D1 is good or not. It's very much NOT good to no-lynch here. Sure, due to the little information we have it's likely we are hitting town, but the information the lynch is gathering is key to have a useful D2. Without a lynch we are doomed to repeat D1 only with fewer players left.

Maf will most likely kill out the best/towniest town players by their NK no matter what we do. Scum has not that much influence over our lynch though, which is why it's so important to use, also in D1.
S

hypercube

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: xyrix
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 19, 2018, 01:19:51 pm »

Apologies for not posting yesterday, although I disagree with Simon's characterization of me as "not playing."

Sorry, was just refering to the prodding-business. Please feel free to make me notice you further.

Actually, a reread of you makes me fairly suspicious of you. Short posts, no strong stances really. I know it's hard to get into a game, but you give off a feeling that you don't really want anything to happen. You criticised me for jokingly trying to incite an omgus- argument and silver for his voting proposal. A stagnate game is good for scum, I think you just might be the scum I assumed would be found among you and muenstercheese.

So.. are you?

There hasn't been too much analysis to do thus far; there's been lots of posts without any content which I'm able to use to make reads. I would rather not contribute to that unless I have something actually helpful to say. My reads early on were focused on looking for people who seemed like they were trying to be helpful without actually being helpful, which caused me to scumread you and silver somewhat. My criticism of silver wasn't that he made the voting proposal, but rather that he made it while placing a vote that didn't inspire discussion.

I'm town, as I've already pointed out.
I have sigs off.

hypercube

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: xyrix
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 19, 2018, 01:23:30 pm »

alina and Europe voting for faust without a stated reason is somewhat suspicious to me, explanation please?

I mean, I felt I was fairly transparent, about my reasoning, you can disagree with the reasoning as Jester does, but the reasoning still exists. I am prodding a prodded.

The snarky side of myself wants to throw a vote at you now with no explaination given just for fun, but I have just given the explaination (“for fun”) so I guess it’s too late. Bummer.

Voting for someone because they're nitpicking seems pretty arbitrary. What makes the nitpicking scummy specifically?

I'm happy to vote for Uncleeurope but am holding off for now to not put him at L-1.
I have sigs off.

Simon Jester

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 19, 2018, 01:30:41 pm »

Apologies for not posting yesterday, although I disagree with Simon's characterization of me as "not playing."

Sorry, was just refering to the prodding-business. Please feel free to make me notice you further.

Actually, a reread of you makes me fairly suspicious of you. Short posts, no strong stances really. I know it's hard to get into a game, but you give off a feeling that you don't really want anything to happen. You criticised me for jokingly trying to incite an omgus- argument and silver for his voting proposal. A stagnate game is good for scum, I think you just might be the scum I assumed would be found among you and muenstercheese.

So.. are you?

There hasn't been too much analysis to do thus far; there's been lots of posts without any content which I'm able to use to make reads. I would rather not contribute to that unless I have something actually helpful to say. My reads early on were focused on looking for people who seemed like they were trying to be helpful without actually being helpful, which caused me to scumread you and silver somewhat. My criticism of silver wasn't that he made the voting proposal, but rather that he made it while placing a vote that didn't inspire discussion.

I'm town, as I've already pointed out.

Well, there is a little more to go on by now, I would say. Care to share any reads?

ppe

Again: Is there a case against Eddie I can look closer into?
S

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 19, 2018, 01:32:45 pm »

2) it/its

Wait, really? I don't have a problem with that but it strikes me as so unusual that I want to make sure you aren't joking.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 19, 2018, 01:34:24 pm »

Eddie?

Uncleeurope

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 19, 2018, 02:00:46 pm »

alina and Europe voting for faust without a stated reason is somewhat suspicious to me, explanation please?

I mean, I felt I was fairly transparent, about my reasoning, you can disagree with the reasoning as Jester does, but the reasoning still exists. I am prodding a prodded.

The snarky side of myself wants to throw a vote at you now with no explaination given just for fun, but I have just given the explaination (“for fun”) so I guess it’s too late. Bummer.

Voting for someone because they're nitpicking seems pretty arbitrary. What makes the nitpicking scummy specifically?

I'm happy to vote for Uncleeurope but am holding off for now to not put him at L-1.

Nothing makes nitpicking scummy specifically, it is, however, the reason that caused to to raise an eyebrow in his direction. Often times I have seen the baddies in these games jump on things that look like logical inconsistencies, but are actually just phrasing discrepancies and claim that there is a deeper meaning to be found. (Ima be honest, I do this when I am a baddie, write that one down) It is a good way to seem like you are contributing to sleuthing, while actually just saying nothing significant.

The whole "Aha! Gottem!" vibe he gave me when comparing two statements made by Jester was a bit odd. Honestly I know little about Faust's play style and it seems this is normal behavior for him. Fair enough, helpful information I didn't know prior and now know, thanks to me voting. Ima count it as a win.

Sadly the two people at the top of my list (The newly acquired Phyphor and our friend cube, here) both seem to have an interest in ending my life. Which is unfortunate, any vote to them will now look self-defensive. Does that mean I won't vote for them at all? No, as you are probably already aware due to the bold font that drew your eyes immediately: Ima Vote: hypercube

He doesn't have a vote yes, as far as I can see, and that makes him a safer pick than phyphor.

Uncleeurope Eddie

Simon Jester

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 19, 2018, 02:12:56 pm »

Eddie?

Sorry, was referring to Uncleeurope, but the wiki-article about Edward VII was really intense. Cool dude, fascinating era.
S

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 19, 2018, 02:22:34 pm »

Eddie is a great nickname.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 19, 2018, 02:38:22 pm »

Nothing makes nitpicking scummy specifically, it is, however, the reason that caused to to raise an eyebrow in his direction. Often times I have seen the baddies in these games jump on things that look like logical inconsistencies, but are actually just phrasing discrepancies and claim that there is a deeper meaning to be found. (Ima be honest, I do this when I am a baddie, write that one down) It is a good way to seem like you are contributing to sleuthing, while actually just saying nothing significant.
I still think it was a logical inconstency. Simon argued that two lurkers should have one scum among them because the others are all townie, and then it turned out he doesn't actually townread everyone else, so it doesn't make much sense to narrow it down to those two, it was arbitrary and he could have included you, but didn't. Which strikes me as manipulative because had he ended up with "1 of those 3 is probably scum", it would be harder to justify a vote on them.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 19, 2018, 02:45:25 pm »

We are not close to the deadline, so I don't think there is anything wrong - or scummy - in not consolidating wagons yet.

Uncleeurope

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 19, 2018, 02:48:14 pm »

I still think it was a logical inconstency. Simon argued that two lurkers should have one scum among them because the others are all townie, and then it turned out he doesn't actually townread everyone else, so it doesn't make much sense to narrow it down to those two, it was arbitrary and he could have included you, but didn't. Which strikes me as manipulative because had he ended up with "1 of those 3 is probably scum", it would be harder to justify a vote on them.

Yeah, that's fair.

Uncleeurope Eddie

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 19, 2018, 03:16:57 pm »

How many times, would you estimate, that we have to go back and read from the start? Does that happen over and over again. Anyway, it was a good exercise.

"Appearing to be helpful without actually being helpful" (proposed by both Uncle and Simon) seems a useful criteria, and by that one Hypercube is aces. Lots of one-line commentary that revealed little, and jumping on the Uncle wagon, but remarking on the kindness of being amenable but not wanting to but him on L-1, seems an attempt to bolster his town-cred without actually having to do anything. My current most scummy.

Uncle Eddie doesn't seem at all concerned to have a heap of votes, and says Phy and HyperC are at the top of his list. I am not exactly sure why, though. If one of them was his scum partner would he be elevating them like that? Or is it fairly low risk regardless since Phy is new to the game and there hasn't been much discussion of HyperC?  More scummy than town for me but just barely.

Simon seems to be trying to get things going and stirring things up. Other than his squeamishness about me, its been rather erratic, but when he draws down on Hypercube, the response was along the lines well, there hasn't been much to say and I don't want to chatter needlessly. Faust saying that Simon doesn't really count as a newb is interesting, too. Still, it doesn't really feel like he is working with anyone so townish. But I am more on the fence about him than other towns.

silver and Faust have a townie feel, and have shared their thinking about who is town, etc earlier on in a "the vets can show you how we do" way that I found helpful. The nitpicking actually serves to remind me that this particular fora is one where words matter because its all we've got to go on.

Alina seems about as freshly scrubbed as I am, and isn't really trying to move the game forward at all, so townish. I feel like that is where I am at as well.  I am not moving the game forward other than sharing information about myself and asking questions, so many questions.   

What has become of UofS???  He was all over and now crickets.  I don't have a scummy feeling about that necessarily because he didn't stir the pot significantly before fading, but it is different. Maybe that is just weekend real life?

So, I have five townish to some extent (Simon, silver, faust, alina, WCD)
Two scummyish (HyperC, Uncle)
Two need more info: Phy and Umbrage

My vote was on Muenster before so I think I am currently without a vote. Vote: Hypercube

Also, Eddie is a GREAT nickname for such a grand handle as UncleEurope.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 19, 2018, 03:25:05 pm »

How many times, would you estimate, that we have to go back and read from the start? Does that happen over and over again. Anyway, it was a good exercise.
Usually you would do it at most once after D1. There is also the option of targeted reread, where you only read through a specific player's posts, which will occur more frequently.

Simon Jester

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 19, 2018, 03:48:09 pm »

Great post, and I agree with much of your observations. Sorry about the "erratic" case against you, the vibe I observed in your earlier posts isn't here at all so I will leave it for now, I think. First hunches are what they are.

I wonder a bit about your view of Alina. Do you think it is townie to not move the game forward or are you just giving her sort of a newbie-pass in general? I'm eager to hear her responses to what have happened recently, right now she sinks a little bit into the scummier areas, more because of vagueness than anything else.

UoS disappearance is odd, yeah. If he wasn't experienced/vet I would almost assume he got scared of Faust and others scumreading him, but nah. Probably V/LA.

And finally, pleased to not be alone with my read on hypercube. That's where I want to go now. vote: Hypercube
S

Simon Jester

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 19, 2018, 03:56:25 pm »

Usually you would do it at most once after D1. There is also the option of targeted reread, where you only read through a specific player's posts, which will occur more frequently.

Oh, on that note. May I ask new players to get a signature? Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just something that makes it possible to search especially for your posts when rereading.
S

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 19, 2018, 04:03:38 pm »

By signature you mean the text at the bottom of the post? like your cor.ax?

Also, what is VLA? Thanks

Simon Jester

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 19, 2018, 04:10:13 pm »

Yes, precisely. Profile>Modify profile>Forum profile.

Vacation/Low access. If you know that you probably won't be able to post in some time it's good to announce it beforehand. There is a special thread for it here somewhere.
S

Uncleeurope

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 19, 2018, 05:58:15 pm »

"Appearing to be helpful without actually being helpful" (proposed by both Uncle and Simon) seems a useful criteria, and by that one Hypercube is aces. Lots of one-line commentary that revealed little, and jumping on the Uncle wagon, but remarking on the kindness of being amenable but not wanting to but him on L-1, seems an attempt to bolster his town-cred without actually having to do anything. My current most scummy.

Uncle Eddie doesn't seem at all concerned to have a heap of votes, and says Phy and HyperC are at the top of his list. I am not exactly sure why, though. If one of them was his scum partner would he be elevating them like that? Or is it fairly low risk regardless since Phy is new to the game and there hasn't been much discussion of HyperC?  More scummy than town for me but just barely.

The first bit kinda answers about my opinion on Hypercube, you and I both came to the same conclusion there. He is trying to sound helpful but isn't saying anything new. (He also offered to kill me if other people were up to it in a weird way, like he was hoping the blood wouldn't be on his hands, super sketchy...) As for Phy, him piggybacking off of cheese, who was uber-scummish, doesn't help his case. I know they have the same role.

Then phy comes in with the goal of not lynching anyone while putting me at vote #3. Super aggressive way to not kill someone. His initial post just struck me as odd, and I get the feeling that would be the case regardless of who he voted for, but I am willing to admit that defensive bias might play into this. I dunno, phy just doesn't sit right with me. And this confusion is ultimately why I went with cube first.

As for the possibility that one of my partners resides with Cube or Phy, the obvious counter would be I am voting for cube and phy is voting for me. And while such things are not proof (votin' for friends be a strat) it is something to consider and my only defense to the claim. *Shrugs*

And as for not being concerned about being voted on a bunch, I have always thought denial is the best medicine for panic.

Uncleeurope Eddie

Uncleeurope

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 19, 2018, 06:01:26 pm »

Yes, precisely. Profile>Modify profile>Forum profile.

Vacation/Low access. If you know that you probably won't be able to post in some time it's good to announce it beforehand. There is a special thread for it here somewhere.

Done

Uncleeurope Eddie
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24  All

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 20 queries.