Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24  All

Author Topic: Newbie Mafia 12: Your Favorite Animal Mafia (Game Over! Town wins flawlessly)  (Read 70669 times)

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Mafia 12: Your Favorite Animal Mafia (Day 1!)
« Reply #125 on: August 17, 2018, 01:15:52 pm »

I thought the point was ask questions and learn, but that just leads to votes. So, if I want to keep playing, better to just watch? The only thing I’ve learned so far, other than the acronyms (thank you) is engagement is bad.

So this is an interesting post. I suspect that you probably suspect that we think engagement is actually good. Therefore, you put pressure on us to stop voting for you in order to prove that it's actually good.

Would you agree or deny that this was your intention?

No real intention of any sort. Just pointing out that this is what is happening. Mostly, I’m just confused. Earlier someone said we need to engage, we need to vote!  So I tried that out. Result= people vote for me. The people who are just chilling (Alina, Muenster) are far safer. So there must be some lower level of engagement that is preferable.

I also don’t have a sense of why folks are voting. When someone gave me a good reason, I followed it and that made me look guilty, or squirrely or whatever. So, perhaps I need to be less forthcoming and more observant. (Which is probably true IRL, too.)

Thanks for the help, UoS. It’s helpful to know how ya’ll are thinking about things and the kinds of questions that I should consider.

So, what happens next? How do we get more/better information? What happens when day one ends?

classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 17, 2018, 01:30:38 pm »

Mostly, I’m just confused. Earlier someone said we need to engage, we need to vote!  So I tried that out. Result= people vote for me. The people who are just chilling (Alina, Muenster) are far safer. So there must be some lower level of engagement that is preferable.
I have felt this way so many times. As you may have noticed, I tend to be more talkative than average. I feel like most games that gets me initially townread and then a certain amount of scumreads no matter what I do. But it's not because I talk, it's because I say a bunch of stuff and sooner or later some of it makes people think I'm scummy. Lurkers have less shots at this and so it can feel bad, but you can also often talk your way out of being lynched just like you talk your way into it.

I also don’t have a sense of why folks are voting.
Admittedly the reasons are all still a bit weaker right now, but it's no longer random. Sometimes people are cagey about their reasons. In my case it was partly to see how you reacted to increased pressure and partly because of how you had reacted to pressure so far.

When someone gave me a good reason, I followed it and that made me look guilty, or squirrely or whatever. So, perhaps I need to be less forthcoming and more observant. (Which is probably true IRL, too.)
You should try to think for yourself. You should definitely look at being more observant, but there's nothing wrong with being forthcoming.

Incidentally, this kind of thing is part of what is making you look suspicious, it looks like you're appealing to everyone's emotions rather than logic, like we should pity you and therefore not vote for you, which can be a good scum tactic. (I do know it can also come out of genuine frustration, but that's some of what I'm seeing at least.)

So, what happens next? How do we get more/better information? What happens when day one ends?
Well one thing you could do is literally answer the questions I gave you. Think about them, (also, I don't really think Silverspawn was scummy for that, I phrased it that way because you had commented that it was and I want to know why you said that.)

Day 1 ends when we lynch someone. That person dies and gets access to a spectator thread where a few other people have probably already posted some of their observations of the game. We go to Night where only the scumteam can talk, they pick a townie to die and the next Day, that person goes to the spectator thread and can't post here anymore either, Power Roles have their results and everyone has 2 players who we absolutely know the alignment of. If I'm still alive I then look back at Day 1 in light of those two new things I know and see if it changes my opinion on anything.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2018, 01:48:22 pm »

Thanks for the insight. I appreciate the help.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 17, 2018, 02:00:30 pm »

For the record, my vote was entirely for pressure. Now is the first time that I think I have some kind of read, and it's a town read on WCD. Don't particularly want to explain why.

back to vote: uncle

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 18, 2018, 01:36:17 pm »

Seriously guys? I waited a day hoping someone would ask me what I thought of Faust’s vote on me so I could respond with “meh” and now it won’t be funny at all.

MuensterCheese is a couple hours away from the 2nd prod

@Alinatolm: Aside from whether or not you should focus on experienced or inexperienced players, what other thoughts do you have? Did my push on WestCoastDidds seem more towny or more scummy to you? Why?

Vote: Uncleeurope
You being this quiet I know is unusual. Trying not to draw attention while subtly defending me out of the gate?

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 18, 2018, 01:37:32 pm »

Hm. This game is hard to get a good feeling of, but I can't help to get a new!scum- vibe from Westcoast. Let's see what some real pressure might do: vote: Westcoast
S

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 18, 2018, 01:39:17 pm »

Hm. This game is hard to get a good feeling of, but I can't help to get a new!scum- vibe from Westcoast. Let's see what some real pressure might do: vote: Westcoast

Interesting timing

Simon Jester

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 18, 2018, 01:48:58 pm »

Interesting timing

You think?
S

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 18, 2018, 01:56:18 pm »

There is no recipe for getting a game started. We just joke around until reads form and then it goes from there. Sometimes that happens more quickly than other times. This is one of the slowest games in memory. A bit unfortunate as an introduction.

I was hoping to cause some kind of drama with my bossy "everyone vote" post, even just someone saying I was scummy for it or discussing it or anything

As it looks right now we're headed towards lynching someone with fairly little information. I think it can't be a vet. There are only three. If we lynch one and one dies in the night there's only one. If that one is scum, that's super bad news.

So probably a lynch ona new player is incoming. I don't want it to be WCD, but I'm still fairly undecided between the others.

uncle is my defualt pick. If you are town, then prove it.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 18, 2018, 03:40:17 pm »

The arg for saving the vets is solid.

Muenstercheese was my vote a while back, and still is because if we are going to vote out a new person, they are the one we know the least about. Literally one post that was just a vote. Alina has shared marginally more, but very little as well. Uncleeurope too, yeah?

I have shared all my wide-eyed innocence. If it’s scummy, I’m not sure how and also unsure how else I’d learn to play.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 18, 2018, 04:05:17 pm »

Simon Jester targeting me, tho? Seems weird since he was for rooting out lurkers and I am dr ideally not.

Interesting timing, indeed.

alinatolm

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 18, 2018, 04:41:14 pm »

I'm sorry. I just figured out that last time I played Mafia several years ago. And in real life it's so different, you know. You can see emotional reaction from people, who you often already know. It makes process easy because you can guess based on it. Now it's too complicated, and I just read the conversation and try to catch something. But for the moment I haven't any ideas. But! The theory of probability says that every time you need to make an opinion about who is a scum, you should pick different person from previous time. So I'll make a try

vote: faust

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 18, 2018, 04:45:50 pm »

Muenstercheese was my vote a while back, and still is because if we are going to vote out a new person, they are the one we know the least about. Literally one post that was just a vote.
Yes, but I am hoping that we will get a replacement here.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 18, 2018, 04:47:26 pm »

The theory of probability says that every time you need to make an opinion about who is a scum, you should pick different person from previous time.
Does it though?

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 18, 2018, 04:48:13 pm »

Do you think the previous pressure on WCD was fake pressure, and if so, why?

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 18, 2018, 04:51:02 pm »

I think WCD, alina and silver are town.

Scummy people are UoS and Simon. I could maybe be convinced against lynching the vet, though Simon doesn't really count as a newbie in my book.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 18, 2018, 05:38:07 pm »

UoS is scummy? Why?

Simon Jester

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 18, 2018, 06:12:34 pm »

I think WCD, alina and silver are town.

Scummy people are UoS and Simon. I could maybe be convinced against lynching the vet, though Simon doesn't really count as a newbie in my book.
Odd people to have a scumvibe on, especially together. UoS feel very townie so far and it's not by their activity as such, it just feel too jittery to be from scum. Your read on me I have no clue on what you are basing it on. I feel I haven't really been engaged in the game yet to be anything than null for most players..

When it comes to WCD my hunch is coming from this post:

No real intention of any sort. Just pointing out that this is what is happening. Mostly, I’m just confused. Earlier someone said we need to engage, we need to vote!  So I tried that out. Result= people vote for me. The people who are just chilling (Alina, Muenster) are far safer. So there must be some lower level of engagement that is preferable.

I also don’t have a sense of why folks are voting. When someone gave me a good reason, I followed it and that made me look guilty, or squirrely or whatever. So, perhaps I need to be less forthcoming and more observant. (Which is probably true IRL, too.)

Thanks for the help, UoS. It’s helpful to know how ya’ll are thinking about things and the kinds of questions that I should consider.

It reads to me as new!scum trying something in the game, gets heat for it and gets confused and a bit scared but manages to hide it behind being new and flustered generally. It's not much, but it strikes out to me every time I reread.

I might have missed if WCD was on 3 votes before, but that I put them there was what I was referring to anyway.

Faust feels unusually townie and the same goes for silvers.. that is almost scary, but I see the point that we should avoid vets for D1.

Is there any case for Uncleeurope by the way, why are people voting there?
S

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 18, 2018, 07:45:54 pm »

Thanks for the prod! I know what my favorite animal is, but not that the game had started.

Alas, voting for lurkers is no bueno. Especially when they are the new newbs. Look at my delightful headgehog outfit. It’s totally town wear.

Voting lurkers is always bueno, newb or not. There can be better cases but chances to catch scum among low posters is always rather high so Lynch All Lurkers Literally is a saying here that is good to listen to.

Scummy vibe from you. Hm.

Simon has been anti-WCD for the start, and then followed it up with “real pressure” comment. Seems like a lot of effort to sway folks against me without any real reason other than noting I have lots of basic questions.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 19, 2018, 03:46:24 am »

UoS is scummy? Why?
I don't like the way he jumped on the WCD wagon,, did not seem genuine. Also we have seen a lot of posts and none of them made me feel any particular town vibe. A lot of them were very explainy, and it's certainly also good for town to do that, but I would expect town to also do other things that are notable and move the game and UoS has been a bit too distant from the game for my taste.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 19, 2018, 03:49:04 am »

Request replacement for muentercheese

It has been 48 hours since that last post, rules states people are subject to replacement at the second prod.

hypercube is also up for prodding soon.

Simon Jester

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 19, 2018, 03:57:56 am »

Thanks for the prod! I know what my favorite animal is, but not that the game had started.

Alas, voting for lurkers is no bueno. Especially when they are the new newbs. Look at my delightful headgehog outfit. It’s totally town wear.

Voting lurkers is always bueno, newb or not. There can be better cases but chances to catch scum among low posters is always rather high so Lynch All Lurkers Literally is a saying here that is good to listen to.

Scummy vibe from you. Hm.

Simon has been anti-WCD for the start, and then followed it up with “real pressure” comment. Seems like a lot of effort to sway folks against me without any real reason other than noting I have lots of basic questions.

Yes, you have yet to give me a reason to see you as town. It's not your questions as is, it's more of a tone where you seem.. a tad too worried and self-aware. And you are already accusing me of tunneling you when I'm basically trying out my first real scumread this game. Doesn't really help your case.

Second scum is probably among muenstercheese/hypercube, a bit sad if both of them is gone.
S

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 19, 2018, 04:09:20 am »

Yes, you have yet to give me a reason to see you as town. It's not your questions as is, it's more of a tone where you seem.. a tad too worried and self-aware. And you are already accusing me of tunneling you when I'm basically trying out my first real scumread this game. Doesn't really help your case.
I don't want to open a whole can of worms... but I think this is more a character-thing than an alignment one.

Second scum is probably among muenstercheese/hypercube, a bit sad if both of them is gone.
Why should this be the case?

Simon Jester

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 19, 2018, 04:16:36 am »

Why should this be the case?
[/quote]

I have no other scumread than WCD, all others seems fairly townie which makes me assume last scum could be among the players not actually playing. 
S

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 19, 2018, 04:32:47 am »

So can you explain why you think the other are all townie?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.