Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Renaissance on RGG's website  (Read 73987 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Dominion: Renaissance on RGG's website
« on: August 04, 2018, 05:29:38 pm »
+36

http://riograndegames.com/Game/1334-Dominion-Renaissance

It's a momentous time. Art has been revolutionized by the invention of "perspective," and also of "funding." A picture used to be worth a dozen or so words; these new ones are more like a hundred. Oil paintings have gotten so realistic that you've hired an artist to do a portrait of you each morning, so you can make sure your hair is good. Busts have gotten better too; no more stopping at the shoulders, they go all the way to the ground. Science and medicine have advanced; there's no more superstition, now they know the perfect number of leeches to apply for each ailment. You have a clock accurate to within an hour, and a calendar accurate to within a week. Your physician heals himself, and your barber cuts his own hair. This is truly a golden age.

This is the 12th expansion to Dominion. It has 300 cards, with 25 new Kingdom cards. There are tokens that let you save coins and actions for later, Projects that grant abilities, and Artifacts to fight over.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Renaissance on RGG's website
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 05:59:06 pm »
+2

Holy crap yes. And I like how this set was announced almost exactly a year after  Nocturne was

I'm a bit worried that the Artifacts may be political, but I'm sure DXV wouldn't do that to Dominion.

I also love how vague the description for Projects are. "They grant abilities;" that's what Dominion cards do xD.

jivjov

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 09:46:57 pm »

Hmm so overall this is a much smaller expansion than Nocturne (not a complaint! just an observation). At minimum, we have 275 cards tied up in Kingdom Cards (250 cards, 25 randomizers) which doesn't leave a whole lot of room for Artifacts or Projects...unless one or both of those categories are made up of things that aren't even card-shaped-noncards like Events. I'm having thoughts of the Great Projects from 7 Wonders: Babel.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 10:27:00 pm »
+24

We're expecting it to be out in early October; previews probably the last week of September.

dbclick

• Coppersmith
  • Shuffle iT Username: dbclick
  • Respect: +78
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 10:53:38 pm »
+3

Just a thought (roughly speaking):

Adventures = Seaside sequel
Empires = Prosperity sequel
Nocturne = Dark Ages sequel
Renaissance = Guilds Sequel (looks like returning coin tokens Coffers)

And as we all know, Guilds was a Masterpiece (or 10).

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 10:54:14 pm »

Yay more coin tokens! And finally action tokens! No more overpay, though?

Artifacts: So if we have to "fight over" them, I guessing they might be cards where there's only one copy. Maybe there's an auction mechanic where they go to the highest bidder (fitting given the art theme) or maybe they can be passed around.

Adventures = Seaside sequel
Empires = Prosperity sequel
Nocturne = Dark Ages sequel
Renaissance = Guilds Sequel (looks like returning coin tokens Coffers)

Yes this does seem sort of like a Guilds Sequel. I'd like this to mean there will be more overpay, but it wasn't mentioned...

I'm not really seeing how Nocturne can be considered a Dark Ages sequel. The art and names are "dark" but that's the only similarity. The actual mechanics are not a continuation of Dark Ages' trashing theme.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 10:58:13 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

traces Around

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: tracer
  • Respect: +437
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 11:08:29 pm »
+18

Fortunately, this announcement brings clarity to the Coffers renaming: the tokens that save coins had to be renamed to Coffers so that the ones that save actions could be called Coin Tokens.

dbclick

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 11:09:45 pm »
+2

I'm not really seeing how Nocturne can be considered a Dark Ages sequel. The art and names are "dark" but that's the only similarity. The actual mechanics are not a continuation of Dark Ages' trashing theme.

I said roughly speaking. There are quite a number of similarities from Dark Ages to Nocturne. Namely:
  • Very large expansion (500 cards)
  • Cards that you can only get via other cards (like Madman, Mercenary and Spoils from Dark Ages)
  • Cards that replace cards in your starting deck (Heirlooms instead of Shelters)
  • Cards that interact with trashing (Necromancer, Haunted Mirror)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 12:09:39 am »
+2

:D
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 07:05:19 am »
+7

The cover art in all of it's glory.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 08:33:19 am »

This is so cool! I was only about half-expecting this set to involve coin tokens, because now it'll probably need a mat as well. I really hope there are more cards like Butcher that have their own special uses for these tokens.

I had been thinking about what to expect from a Guilds sequel, and one of my ideas was things that you'd fight over. My vision for it was actual molded pieces that you can fit together as you get more, but I'm not sure that's gonna happen.

Anyway, yay this is the moment we've all been waiting for! I'm glad I'm not a playtester or this wouldn't be as exciting to me.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 09:41:22 am by J Reggie »

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2018, 10:31:20 am »
+9

Fortunately, this announcement brings clarity to the Coffers renaming: the tokens that save coins had to be renamed to Coffers so that the ones that save actions could be called Coin Tokens.

So what will action tokens be called?  If we follow the pattern so far, they’ll be called Acffers.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2018, 10:39:10 am »
+7

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2018, 11:02:50 am »
+6

So what will action tokens be called?  If we follow the pattern so far, they’ll be called Acffers.

+1 Actors

PeasantKing

• Herbalist
  • Shuffle iT Username: PeasantKing
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2018, 11:24:22 am »

Does anyone else get a Hitchhiker’s guide to the Galaxy vibe from the description?

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2018, 11:36:22 am »
+3

Alternatively, the tokens will simply be called "Coin tokens" and "Action tokens", with the whole "Coffers" thing being a dastardly plot to make Butcher not be able to use the coin tokens from Dominion: Renaissance.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2018, 03:38:01 pm »
+4

Errata: This game is perfect.

They can all be the best $5 card ever!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2018, 04:12:39 pm »
+1

It sounds like my dream of adding a rondel to Dominion will have to wait for another expansion.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2018, 05:53:18 pm »

Holy crap yes. And I like how this set was announced almost exactly a year after  Nocturne was

I'm a bit worried that the Artifacts may be political, but I'm sure DXV wouldn't do that to Dominion.

I also love how vague the description for Projects are. "They grant abilities;" that's what Dominion cards do xD.

Not the blanks.  Nor the placeholders ;)

And it kind of IS political.  Here, he is known as "the Donald" :p
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

dbclick

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2018, 07:04:35 pm »

I'm thinking something around the theme of more people. That's supposedly how Villages got their name. The idea being populated places (with more people) allow you to do more things.
Maybe "Workers", "Contractors", "Employees", though it could be something more Renaissance-themed, like "Patron". Hopefully something better than all of those.

dbclick

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2018, 07:04:59 pm »

Based on the description, it's possible that the same physical tokens would be used for both the action and coin tokens, just with different mats (Coffers mat and "Action coin tokens mat").

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2018, 07:18:23 pm »

I’m guessing Artifacts will be worth points like Landmarks, but there is just one of each, it’s worth points at the end of the game if it’s in your possession, and there are things that cause it to pass from one player to another.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2018, 07:29:57 pm »
+2

It sounds like my dream of adding a rondel to Dominion will have to wait for another expansion.
That's the kind of dream you get after eating something that's a week past its use-by date, right?

I, too, am excited by the possible Guilds sequel. I hope we see some additional uses of coin tokens, and possibly ways to convert between coins and actions.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2018, 08:49:28 pm »
+9

Collect all the Dominion Expansions and you get to dissolve half of the Dominion Cards in existence

DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2018, 08:45:55 am »
+1

Nice theme. I was hoping for Dominion to get an art or progress themed expansion, and here they are.

Not going into guesses about the mechanics.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.