Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: SepRanks for Top Player Rating  (Read 4824 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
SepRanks for Top Player Rating
« on: August 01, 2018, 10:07:57 pm »

Closed

Introduction

Why should anybody create these lists? Well, the obvious answer is that it's a fun activity, akin to ranking College teams. However, there are also two practical reasons to conduct these lists.

Firstly, the Leaderboard is not entirely accurate. Great players might not play all that often, and their positions might very well be completely wrong. The Leaderboard is biased towards people who play ranked, not all Dominion. For example, Dominion League is almost never played ranked, but nobody will see higher quality Dominion being played than in the A and B tiers. In addition, players game the system all of the time to artificially raise their numbers, further watering down the results. I am not saying the Leaderboard is a useless metric, but some discernment must be used when consulting it.

Secondly, increasing our understanding of who the best players are will help new players and old alike. For the new players, it will give them role models to emulate. For the old players, perhaps they will see some players they never considered before, from simply underrated players to the vibrant and active Japanese community we barely communicate with. This will evolve the metagame in the long run, further increasing our understanding for the game.

Yes, the lists will not be accurate at first. That is okay. Course correction will happen.

Polling

Polling will commence about every 6 months, and be open for two weeks. Users will visit the link below, enter their username, and present their list of the top 20 Dominion Players.

This link will lead to the current poll. Before taking the poll, there are some important things to note.

1. I would advise all users consult both the ShuffleIT Leaderboard and the Dominion League standings before finishing their rankings. It's not required, but it may help in accuracy.
2. Keep in mind that fame does not always mean the player is better.
3. As a corollary to the last note, remember that there are other players who do not visit the forums. There are for example, plenty of strong Japanese players out there, among other players. This area is where the Leaderboard is most helpful.

Polling Results

These results are sorted by the most recent.

August 2018

Disclaimers

If you aggressively do not care about the polls, then you do not have to participate. Your displeasure does not mean this poll shouldn't exist.
Who voted for whom will not be made public, and this will solve any potential issues. Please be careful when discussing votes. My asking for usernames on the poll is only to ensure that voting is unique and fair.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 03:16:43 am by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
Re: SepRanks for Top Player Rating
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 11:42:13 pm »

So, I'm guessing the rankings won't weighted...

...At least the first time around. Future lists could be weighted based on who was on the previous list.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 04:36:31 am »
+3

Firstly, the Leaderboard is not entirely accurate. Great players might not play all that often, and their positions might very well be completely wrong. The Leaderboard is biased towards people who play ranked, not all Dominion. For example, Dominion League is almost never played ranked, but nobody will see higher quality Dominion being played than in the A and B tiers. In addition, players game the system all of the time to artificially raise their numbers, further watering down the results. I am not saying the Leaderboard is a useless metric, but some discernment must be used when consulting it.

Pretty sure the leaderboard is still more accurate than a public-opinion-based rating, and the Dominion League is a big culprit for that. A lot of top players (especially many of the Japanese ones) don't participate in the League or other big tournaments, and this skews the public opinion in the favor of those who do.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 06:37:05 am »

So, I'm guessing the rankings won't weighted...

...At least the first time around. Future lists could be weighted based on who was on the previous list.

I actually currently don't know how future polls are going to be conducted yet.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 08:14:52 am »

Yes, the lists will not be accurate at first. That is okay. Course correction will happen.

What makes you believe this?  Is there a method for testing the results against reality?

Screwyioux

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: JakeTheZipper
  • Respect: +226
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 09:55:25 am »

If you want more diverse and accurate metrics for this you should cross-post it in other places like Reddit, Discord, possibly even BGG? There's going to be a LOT of onus put on the reader's ability to discern the value of what essentially amounts to a popularity contest, but at least that way you could avoid an echo chamber effect.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 09:57:10 am »

If you want more diverse and accurate metrics for this you should cross-post it in other places like Reddit, Discord, possibly even BGG? There's going to be a LOT of onus put on the reader's ability to discern the value of what essentially amounts to a popularity contest, but at least that way you could avoid an echo chamber effect.

I could do this. Probably I will.

PeasantKing

• Herbalist
  • Shuffle iT Username: PeasantKing
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 04:43:39 pm »

Would we get more information about the players such as achievements and bio?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 04:49:18 pm »

Would we get more information about the players such as achievements and bio?

Uh if someone wanted it I probably could

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 07:08:14 pm »
+1

Results are here! Next polling will occur in a couple of months, and I'll make it easier to do than last time.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LY16PTL9FkG1z1pnCmdMKQL3qYJZPCUCfl4ZhJlRRww/edit?usp=sharing

1. Mic Qsenoch
2. Stef
3. Dan Brooks
4. RTT
5. Markus
6. Mercury444F
7. tracer
8. Sangatsu
9. Sicomatic
10. Ceviri
11. Dingan
12. Gloures
13. Limetime
14. aku_chi
15. Bryan
16. E Honda
17. SamE
18. jsh357
19. Hakase
20. jonts
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 07:11:06 pm by Seprix »

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 01:28:04 pm »

Will do another poll at the conclusion of the ShuffleIT Tournament.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2018, 09:42:56 pm »
+2

Will do another poll at the conclusion of the ShuffleIT Tournament.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 11:08:10 am »

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2018, 03:04:34 am »

Time to close this circus. Whoever did that, you know who the hell you are. I'm not dealing with this nonsense.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 03:21:45 am by Seprix »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2018, 03:38:44 am »

Time to close this circus. Whoever did that, you know who the hell you are. I'm not dealing with this nonsense.

What happened?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.747 seconds with 21 queries.