Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: When to ignore Sea Hag (?)  (Read 2710 times)

chogg

• Bishop
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
When to ignore Sea Hag (?)
« on: March 02, 2012, 06:13:50 am »

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120301-131714-add74c9c.html

cards in supply: Apothecary, Bank, Council Room, Hamlet, Highway, Lookout, Philosopher's Stone, Potion, Sea Hag, Wharf, and Woodcutter

So, I see Lookout on the board, and I remember it's a great Sea Hag counter.  And then I see Apothecary, and I think... screw it, I'm doing something different here!  Opponent opens Lookout, I open Potion, and then she buys a Sea Hag as I get my Lookout.

Turn 3 is textbook: she plays Sea Hag, I play Lookout.  Then I start getting Apothecary and Wharf, with some Hamlets thrown in, continuing to deal with the curses pretty well.  (Apothecary + Lookout is a nice combo too!  Unfortunately, I discover Wharf + Lookout is a bit of a nombo; it draws the top-decked curses into my hand at the start of my turn).

Things start picking up around Turn 10: I buy 2 Highways, 2 Hamlets, and another Apothecary.  Now I'm starting to get an engine which laughs at Sea Hags, despite the fact my opponent bought a second Hag the turn before.  Turn 13, I buy 2 Highways and 2 Wharves.  Nice!

With Hamlets, I haven't been discarding for Buys, due to the Wharf.  Soon though, I realize all those Highways give me plenty of purchasing power, so I'd better have the Buys for it!  I end it on Turn 15 by buying 3 Provinces and 6 free cards: 2 Duchies, 2 Hamlets, and yes, 2 Curses.  That empties the latter two piles to end the game.

It's always very satisfying to ignore a power attack and win (and also to win by emptying Curses).  4 Provinces in 15 turns is respectable, especially vs. Cursing attacks.  In this case, I think my opponent may have erred by never buying a single Wharf.  Maybe the Sea Hags were hurting her early purchasing power, and also using up her terminal actions?

Finally: why didn't this earn PileDriver for curses?  I had all 10, and I won.  Other cards give PileDriver even if you trash them later on, right?

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
Re: When to ignore Sea Hag (?)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 09:52:57 am »

Well played. I'll probably look back at your game a couple times just to see the combo :).
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 11:45:22 am »

As soon as you start drawing your whole deck you can start to discard curses with hamlet for actions and buys and THEN play lookout to trash them which makes wharf / lookout much less of a nombo..

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 01:29:53 am »

Finally: why didn't this earn PileDriver for curses?  I had all 10, and I won.  Other cards give PileDriver even if you trash them later on, right?

Maybe it only counts it if you actually buy them, rather than have them given to you.

chogg

• Bishop
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 06:17:36 am »

Maybe it only counts it if you actually buy them, rather than have them given to you.

I've seen it awarded on Embargo boards.  Maybe they don't want given-out curses to count because there'd be too many PileDrivers?  Then again, you already don't get PileDriver unless you win.

hobo386

• Salvager
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 11:50:36 pm »

As soon as you start drawing your whole deck you can start to discard curses with hamlet for actions and buys and THEN play lookout to trash them which makes wharf / lookout much less of a nombo..

True story. Stuff like this is hard to master, but knowing how to manipulate your deck is what separates level 40+ people from other experienced players.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.