Dominion > Variants and Fan Cards

Obligatory Floating-Some-Fan-Cards Post, from me, silvern.

(1/4) > >>

silvern:
Here goes, folks.

Humble Village
$2  -  Action
+2 Actions
You may gain a card costing up to 3.

Tyrant
$4 - Action-Attack
+2 cards
+1 buy
Name a card. Each other player reveals the top four cards of their deck,
discards any copies of the named card, and puts the rest back in any order they choose.

Contract
$3 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Trash a card from your hand.
You may gain a curse. If you do, trash up to two more cards from your hand.

Split: Deal/Negotiation
TOP:  Deal
$5 - Action/Victory
+1 Buy
+$2
------
2 VP
BOTTOM: Negotiations
$6 - Action
+2 Cards
+1 VP
Each player reveals their hand. If nobody revealed a victory card, the game ends after this turn.

N.B.: This pile always has 10 cards, 5 of each

Wealthy Uncle
$3 - Action
If more the half of the Provinces remain in the supply pile, gain a Duchy.
If half or fewer of the Provinces remain in the supply pile, gain an action card costing up to $5.

Commodore Chuckles:

--- Quote from: silvern on July 17, 2018, 09:23:59 pm ---Contract
$3 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Trash a card from your hand.
You may gain a curse. If you do, trash up to two more cards from your hand.

--- End quote ---

I can tell you right now that a cantrip trasher is way too good for $3. This would probably be balanced at $5.

--- Quote from: silvern on July 17, 2018, 09:23:59 pm ---Wealthy Uncle
$3 - Action
If half or fewer of the Provinces remain in the supply pile, gain an action card costing up to $5.

--- End quote ---

This also seems way too good for $3. It's hard to think of a reason not to open with it. Gaining a Duchy might hurt, but if half the Provinces are already gone, it will likely help just as much. If you really don't want the Duchy you can just not play it, which is a small price to pay for all of 5s you got earlier on.

faust:

--- Quote from: Commodore Chuckles on July 17, 2018, 11:58:01 pm ---
--- Quote from: silvern on July 17, 2018, 09:23:59 pm ---Wealthy Uncle
$3 - Action

--- End quote ---

This also seems way too good for $3. It's hard to think of a reason not to open with it. Gaining a Duchy might hurt, but if half the Provinces are already gone, it will likely help just as much. If you really don't want the Duchy you can just not play it, which is a small price to pay for all of 5s you got earlier on.

--- End quote ---
I think you read this the wrong way around. If you open with it, it will only gain Duchies.

faust:
Humble Village - is kind of interesting. Overall I think it is balanced, since you need draw cards with it and most good draw cards cost more than $3. It's probably crazy with Watchtower, but then, so is Villa, so that shouldn't keep you.

Tyrant - there are probably quite a few boards on which know the top something cards of their deck will help your opponent more than it hurt to discard that power $5. And when it is good, then it's probably a sloggish game (or a Traveller game), and whether you discard something or not will make this swingy. I don't like it very much.

Contract - as stated, it is way too good.

Deal/Negotiations - Deal is boring. I mean the world doesn't need a Woodcutter-Harem. I reckon it's just something on top to make Negotiations work. Unfortunately, they do not work. First, a lot of the time it will not be revealed, because Deal is a bad card and will not be gained. Second, its game-ending condition doesn't scale well with multiplayer. Third, I only ever want to buy this when I am sufficiently far ahead, to pressure my opponent into greening or when I can gain and play it on the same turn. If I buy it when I am far ahead, then it doesn't really add to the game since my opponent may as well have resigned. If I am getting it to pressure my opponent, or to prematurely end the game, then it's not really much different from 3-piling, and well that already exists and is less swingy.

Wealthy Uncle - It is somewhat like Leprechaun in that it is a gainer that you only want to get relatively late in the game. Or if you can use Duchies, but even with TfB that is rarely the best way to use an action. It is neat that there is a point (exactly half of the Provinces remain) where I get both bonuses. It is probably quite useless on Colony boards, not sure how much of an issue that is.

Holunder9:
Tyrant's deck order attack looks interesting but if suffers from a problem:

--- Quote ---Famine started out discarding the $3-$6 cards. "Action" is simpler. Originally the other cards went back on top, but letting you order the top ends up helping you too often.
--- End quote ---

What DXV did, shuffling the rest into the deck, is far too weak. Letting the defender choose the order is too weak, letting the attacker choose the order might be too strong so the only remaining thing to do that could be OK power-level wise is: shuffle the remaining cards and then topdeck them.
Kinda hard to shuffle 2 or 3 cards and also quite game-delaying but this is where I would go. You could also in addition consider increasing the amount of cards to 5

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version