Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Best cards to learn specific rules?  (Read 4308 times)

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
Best cards to learn specific rules?
« on: July 17, 2018, 10:06:03 am »
+3

So which cards are great at teaching new players specific rules? In this thread I want you to pick a rule that new players tend to forget / not understand why it exists / make mistakes with, and provide a few cards that are great at teaching them about it.

For example:
-You play your Treasures one by one, not simultaneously:
Contraband, Horn of Plenty, Bank, Magic Lamp.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
Re: Best cards to learn specific rules?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 12:15:57 pm »
+3

In your Buy phase, you first play Treasures, then start making purchases: Mint

+1 Action means you add 1 to the number of actions you can play this turn, not that you immediately play an Action: Throne Room on a cantrip.

When you trash multiple cards, you select which cards to trash, then trash them all together: Chapel+Rats

Follow the instructions on the card in order: Wishing Well

If you can't do everything a card says, do what you can: Trading Post (trash 1 card for no benefit if it's all you have in hand).

If it matters, when each player does something, they do it in order starting with the current player. (Spy, or Duchess now Spy is gone.)

The Lose Track rule: Vassal + ...what's simplest?

Duration effects apply even if the card itself leaves play, but while-in-play effects do not: Procession + Lighthouse

While-in-play effects don't apply double when you play the same card twice: Throne Room + Goons

The game only ends if the requisite piles are empty at the end of a player's turn: Ambassador

Pay attention when effects are restricted to specific phases: Peddler + Remodel

A cost of 1 Potion or 1 Debt is neither more nor less than a cost of $1: Chariot Race

The number of cards you've played is not the same as the number of cards you have in play, and if you play a card twice it counts double: Throne Room + Conspirator

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 12:44:48 pm »

Lose track: Hermit/Scheme, or Summon/Death Cart
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 01:03:26 pm »

the thing about Vassal is that it's in Base. I tried to give examples using Base, or at least earlier expansions, where possible.

Hence my hoping for a good illustration of Lose Track using Vassal instead of cards from Hinterlands, Dark Ages and promos.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 02:12:15 pm »

the thing about Vassal is that it's in Base. I tried to give examples using Base, or at least earlier expansions, where possible.

Hence my hoping for a good illustration of Lose Track using Vassal instead of cards from Hinterlands, Dark Ages and promos.

I don't know if such an example exists. The Vassal discards the top card before letting you decide if you can play it. What can trigger in between discarding the top card of your deck and playing the discarded card if it's an action (which rules out Tunnel)?

Also, Merchant is worded in such a way as to suggest that treasure cards are in fact played.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 02:25:41 pm »
+3

I don't know if such an example exists. The Vassal discards the top card before letting you decide if you can play it. What can trigger in between discarding the top card of your deck and playing the discarded card if it's an action (which rules out Tunnel)?

Faithful Hound.

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 02:43:26 pm »
+2

When-buy and when-gain are different things: Defiled Shrine

"Taking" a Boon and "receiving" a Boon are different things: Blessed Village

If a Duration fails to create an effect for a future turn, it's discarded THIS TURN: Tactician

"This turn" effects ending, and "at the end of this turn" effects triggering, are different things: Baths/Possession

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 02:50:39 pm »

I also notice that some players, when buying a card, tend to take that card into their hand, and then do clean-up (instead of putting it in their discard pile and then doing clean-up).

Herald and Inn are especially good at teaching this. Grand Castle too but there's only one. Cemetery clearly implies you still have a hand.
Mint, Farmland, Mandarin, Emporium work too.
Also night cards make for a very clear distinction between buy and clean-up.

Although for teaching purposes, simpler is usually better.

Vassal + Faithful Hound may be the best example of lose-track as they are both straightforward cards.

dz: Gear when you don't set aside cards too.

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 02:59:27 pm »
+2

I also notice that some players, when buying a card, tend to take that card into their hand, and then do clean-up
I don't see that one. But I do see people confusing their play area and their discard pile quite frequently: gaining to in-play, or playing to the discard pile.

I also see a lot of people throwing their Victory cards into play along with their Treasures. Which can matter.

I'm not sure there's any specific card or cards which demonstrate why these are wrong, though. Any engine will do.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 11:50:23 pm »

On a somewhat related note, I think Shepherd is the best card for teaching players to be careful about triggering shuffles. I played a Shepherd game with my brother today and he found out how easy it was to get a hand of 5 dead green cards.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 01:18:48 am »

If you have more cards, Conclave would be the best teacher about +1 Action being a resource.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 05:49:09 am »

I don't know if such an example exists.

If it doesn't, it speaks of a good design choice, sparing beginners the more sophisticated rule details.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 06:25:19 am »
+1

Faithful Hound.

Right. I blanked out about that one.

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 09:32:45 am »

I also notice that some players, when buying a card, tend to take that card into their hand, and then do clean-up
I don't see that one. But I do see people confusing their play area and their discard pile quite frequently: gaining to in-play, or playing to the discard pile.

I also see a lot of people throwing their Victory cards into play along with their Treasures. Which can matter.

I'm not sure there's any specific card or cards which demonstrate why these are wrong, though. Any engine will do.

The first one I see very sparingly, the second a lot.

Bonfire would work for the second. I can't quickly think of a simpler one.

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 09:45:24 am »
+1

Smithy: if you draw an Action, with no actions left, you are not allowed to play it.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2018, 09:47:41 am »

I was thinking Pilgrimage.

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 11:07:47 am »
+4

Are we after cards that will allow us to say "aha, caught you out you did that wrong, you have to follow rule X"?

I'd rather see examples of cards which encourage a new player to appreciate a rule, rather than trip them up with it. 'Nice' teaching.

The OP examples are 'nice' like that - "ah, I get to choose to play my Bank last and get more money, that makes me happy".

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2018, 12:11:16 pm »
+1

Trading Post and Horse Traders can highlight how the if-you-do (now "do x, to do y) condition, or the lack thereof, is something to pay attention to.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2018, 11:08:22 pm »

Laboratory
don't shuffle your played cards into your discard

Black Market
This is one of the few exceptions to playing Treasure in your Buy phase

Outpost
There is no 'D' (draw) in ABC!
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2018, 04:51:49 am »
+1

Black Market

I think Storyteller's simpler
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2018, 08:49:31 am »
+3

I think Haunted Woods would be the best teacher here. It's possible that they would understand that their green cards aren't "in play" even if they throw them down. Haunted Woods' attack, though, suddenly makes it matter that they're still in your hand.

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2018, 10:22:05 am »
+1

Laboratory
don't shuffle your played cards into your discard

Black Market

Outpost
There is no 'D' (draw) in ABC!

There is no T in AAO either.

I think Haunted Woods would be the best teacher here. It's possible that they would understand that their green cards aren't "in play" even if they throw them down. Haunted Woods' attack, though, suddenly makes it matter that they're still in your hand.

Ah, I forgot about that. Yes, Haunted Woods would be much simpler.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.