Dominion > Dominion General Discussion

Best cards to learn specific rules?

(1/5) > >>

greybirdofprey:
So which cards are great at teaching new players specific rules? In this thread I want you to pick a rule that new players tend to forget / not understand why it exists / make mistakes with, and provide a few cards that are great at teaching them about it.

For example:
-You play your Treasures one by one, not simultaneously:
Contraband, Horn of Plenty, Bank, Magic Lamp.

crj:
In your Buy phase, you first play Treasures, then start making purchases: Mint

+1 Action means you add 1 to the number of actions you can play this turn, not that you immediately play an Action: Throne Room on a cantrip.

When you trash multiple cards, you select which cards to trash, then trash them all together: Chapel+Rats

Follow the instructions on the card in order: Wishing Well

If you can't do everything a card says, do what you can: Trading Post (trash 1 card for no benefit if it's all you have in hand).

If it matters, when each player does something, they do it in order starting with the current player. (Spy, or Duchess now Spy is gone.)

The Lose Track rule: Vassal + ...what's simplest?

Duration effects apply even if the card itself leaves play, but while-in-play effects do not: Procession + Lighthouse

While-in-play effects don't apply double when you play the same card twice: Throne Room + Goons

The game only ends if the requisite piles are empty at the end of a player's turn: Ambassador

Pay attention when effects are restricted to specific phases: Peddler + Remodel

A cost of 1 Potion or 1 Debt is neither more nor less than a cost of $1: Chariot Race

The number of cards you've played is not the same as the number of cards you have in play, and if you play a card twice it counts double: Throne Room + Conspirator

werothegreat:
Lose track: Hermit/Scheme, or Summon/Death Cart

crj:
the thing about Vassal is that it's in Base. I tried to give examples using Base, or at least earlier expansions, where possible.

Hence my hoping for a good illustration of Lose Track using Vassal instead of cards from Hinterlands, Dark Ages and promos.

markusin:

--- Quote from: crj on July 17, 2018, 01:03:26 pm ---the thing about Vassal is that it's in Base. I tried to give examples using Base, or at least earlier expansions, where possible.

Hence my hoping for a good illustration of Lose Track using Vassal instead of cards from Hinterlands, Dark Ages and promos.

--- End quote ---

I don't know if such an example exists. The Vassal discards the top card before letting you decide if you can play it. What can trigger in between discarding the top card of your deck and playing the discarded card if it's an action (which rules out Tunnel)?

Also, Merchant is worded in such a way as to suggest that treasure cards are in fact played.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version