Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: A few new card ideas for cornucopia and guilds  (Read 5250 times)

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
A few new card ideas for cornucopia and guilds
« on: July 13, 2018, 10:10:47 pm »

First of all let me just say the whole coffers thing just confuses me. Taking a coin token never confused me.

Firth guild

+ 2$
Each other player reveals their
Hand. If an attack card is
Revealed, then they discard one
Attack card.
————————————————
When a attack card is played not
During your turn, you may reveal
This and take a coin token.
$3 Action-Attack-Reaction

I looked it up. Back in the day when there were various guilds. There was a Firth guild. Which were payed to protect the guilds.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
Re: A few new card ideas for cornucopia and guilds
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 10:13:54 pm »

Property deed

4V

When another player buys a
Victory card, you may reveal
This and gain a card costing
Up to 6$.
0* Victory-Reaction-Prize

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 10:22:03 pm »

Kings wood

7V
————————————
You can only gain this with
Coin tokens.
————————————
Setup: if plaza is not One of
The kingdom supply piles add
It as an eleventh kingdom
Supply pile.
$4 Victory

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 10:29:45 pm »

Bookbinding

Draw until you have 8 cards
In hand, skipping any actions
You choose to; set those aside
Discard them afterwards. Take
A coin token for each action discarded.
———————————————
You may overpay for this, if
You do gain a duchy.
6+ Action

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 10:34:44 pm »

Beekeeping

+1 Action
If you have the angry bee
Swarm pass it to the player
To your left. You may discard
2 differently named cards. If
You did +2 Cards +2$.
————————————
Setup: one player randomly starts
with the angry bee swarm (State).
$3 Action

Angry bee swarm         (State)

-3V

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 11:59:02 pm »
+1

Firth guild

+ 2$
Each other player reveals their
Hand. If an attack card is
Revealed, then they discard one
Attack card.
————————————————
When a attack card is played not
During your turn, you may reveal
This and take a coin token.
$3 Action-Attack-Reaction

A couple problems...

- Nothing stops you from revealing this repeatedly when an attack is played and taking unlimited coin tokens.
- It is horribly weak if there are no attacks (or no attacks worth getting) on the board. Just a worse Silver.
- The top part is super punishing against attacks, to the point that people probably just won't buy attacks if this is available. Which makes this pointless to have, because no one will buy attacks. And even if people do buy attacks, the reaction is largely pointless because the top part already stops players from playing their attacks.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 12:00:39 am »
+1

Property deed

4V

When another player buys a
Victory card, you may reveal
This and gain a card costing
Up to 6$.
0* Victory-Reaction-Prize

As a Prize, do you intend for it to just be mixed with the other Prizes, to be gained by Tournament?

Also has the unlimited reaction issue. If you discard it rather than reveal it, it might be fine.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 12:07:51 am »
+1

Kings wood

7V
————————————
You can only gain this with
Coin tokens.
————————————
Setup: if plaza is not One of
The kingdom supply piles add
It as an eleventh kingdom
Supply pile.
$4 Victory

Requiring another specific card is really awkward... what if people want to play with this card but don't have Plaza? But as a purely fan card; that's fine if you really want. But would probably be much better to have it generate coin tokens of its own.

The wording of the top needs work... I assume that what you mean is that any spent on it must have been gotten through spending coin tokens. But as worded, it implies that you use coin tokens to gain cards, which isn't correct. To have the effect you want, you would need some weird/awkward wording that probably just can't work.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 12:13:10 am »
+1

Bookbinding

Draw until you have 8 cards
In hand, skipping any actions
You choose to; set those aside
Discard them afterwards. Take
A coin token for each action discarded.
———————————————
You may overpay for this, if
You do gain a duchy.
6+ Action

Probably way too good. It only costs more than Library (and and are not all that far apart in cost). Drawing 4 instead of 3 is way better. Even if that were the only difference. Adding in the Coin token bonus is huge.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 12:17:54 am »
+1

Beekeeping

+1 Action
If you have the angry bee
Swarm pass it to the player
To your left. You may discard
2 differently named cards. If
You did +2 Cards +2$.
————————————
Setup: one player randomly starts
with the angry bee swarm (State).
$3 Action

Angry bee swarm         (State)

-3V

It isn't clear if you need the State in order to be allowed to discard for benefit or not. Is that part of the "if"? Or can you do that either way?

If that is part of the "if", then I don't know why you would ever buy this card. Unless your opponent's join in your little game, you just paid $3 for a Ruined Village. And also a sort of Duchy I guess... so if you happen to be the player who starts with Bees, you might buy this late; when you would be buying a Duchy anyway.

If you can do the discard either way, it might be a fair card; but the State just sort of adds an unfair randomness to it. The player who starts with the State is at a random disadvantage. Though if the card is good anyway, then likely the player who ends the game will have played on on their final turn, which just means they get a free Duchy on top of their normal game-end stuff.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 02:58:53 am »

For Firth guild.

I love attack cards and so even if everyone else had this I would still buy attack cards anyway. Also I’m not sure why you think I could get unlimited coins because you can only reveal it once per attack. There not likely to keep playing attack after attack. If your just going to keep getting coins. Also I’ve played many games where I had like a dozen coin tokens at the end of the game I wasn’t able to use anyway. With the real guilds cards like baker I wasn’t able to use em all especially if there wasn’t an extra buy in the game. So unless you had like 2 Firth guilds in a turn. You would probably only have a about 3 in a 4 player game.

But maybe I’ll change it to discard anyway. Or change it to wear you Can only 1 coin token per player max.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 03:03:56 am »

Yes a prize for one of my favorite cards tournament. Just another reason for everyone to compete in a tournament. And yes I was thinking it would be cool. If you could gain a few cards in a 4 player game. But at least everyone can stop it from happening by avoiding victories that turn. Cause after all there’s only one of these prizes. Which means it doesn’t get played with that often.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 03:24:39 am »

No you don’t need to have it to get the benefit. So maybe I can put it in the middle. To make it seem like it’s an added benefit, to have the angry bee swarm chasing someone else. I wanted to make it similar to lost in the woods. And it may seem unfair to one player to have an extra disadvantage. But there are already other cards and stuff that do that already anyway. Like twice miserable.

And it may not even change the score all that much anyway. It will be like having 3 -1V tokens. (Which don’t exist yet anyway) who knows if another expansion will be made after nocturne. Seems like 50% of the players that i play with online don’t like playing with nocturne cards. And will it be any better than nocturne? That’s probably why there people creating there own cards these days then when dominion first came out. I only saw 2 fan based expansions out there a year before adventures came out. I think one was fairy tale expansion. Now there’s like a dozen. And just a bunch of random cards too.

It’s a challenge making cards. If only there was a website that we could play online against the cpu with pre made cards. Kinda like rpg maker. If you can create your own rpg on a PlayStation 2. Then why cant make a card online that can also be play tested online. Then we all could tweak them better.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 03:38:45 am by ClouduHieh »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2018, 03:42:44 am »

And with book binding your only getting one more card. But maybe I can just max out the amount of coin tokens you gain. Like you may set aside up to 2 Actions.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2018, 03:58:14 am »

I put gain in there for a reason for kings wood. I didn’t want want anyone to gain this thru another action. I wanted this to be like grand market. If you have any treasure in play or treasure from Actions you can’t get this card. Only with coin tokens. You can’t get this from anything else. That’s why it has 7Vs because it’s harder to get. This is the card to save your coin tokens for and then when you have a bad hand use your coin tokens to get this.

So how would you word this with limited space I have on the card? So that you can get it with coin tokens? Also since you can’t get it without coin tokens it doesn’t make sense to have it generate it own coins. And also i wanted to make sure that there was at least 1 Card that generates coin tokens. I didn’t pick baker cause you start with one anyway, so I picked plaza so at least one would help you get it. And besides nocturne has a lot more cards that require other cards. Like exorcist, boons, necromancer ect. And having plaza is still tame to tournament.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2018, 11:10:26 am »
+3

For Firth guild.

I love attack cards and so even if everyone else had this I would still buy attack cards anyway.

But you wouldn't get to play them, because they will be discarded from your hand. They will be as helpful to you as buying a Curse.

Also I’m not sure why you think I could get unlimited coins because you can only reveal it once per attack.

No, the rules of Dominion allow you to reveal it any number of times. This comes up with Secret Chamber and Moat. All reaction cards that are revealed from your hand either have you discard/set them aside when you use them, or like Moat and Secret Chamber do not give increased benefit for using over and over.

Also I’ve played many games where I had like a dozen coin tokens at the end of the game I wasn’t able to use anyway. With the real guilds cards like baker I wasn’t able to use em all especially if there wasn’t an extra buy in the game.

If you end the game with a bunch of coin tokens leftover at the end, then you made a pretty big mistake somewhere and should have been able to win a lot sooner.

And it may seem unfair to one player to have an extra disadvantage. But there are already other cards and stuff that do that already anyway. Like twice miserable.

Twice Miserable doesn't start on a random player. The issue isn't that it gives negative vp, the issue is that one player at random has to start with it.

It’s a challenge making cards. If only there was a website that we could play online against the cpu with pre made cards. Kinda like rpg maker. If you can create your own rpg on a PlayStation 2. Then why cant make a card online that can also be play tested online. Then we all could tweak them better.

Oh absolutely! Don't take my criticisms as a statement that I think I could do better. I haven't designed any fan cards because I would be terrible at it. But I do know enough about Dominion in general to be able to point out issues. If you haven't yet, be sure to read through Rinkwork's guide. Even though some parts are out-dated, most of it still holds true.

And with book binding your only getting one more card. But maybe I can just max out the amount of coin tokens you gain. Like you may set aside up to 2 Actions.

One more card is huge. Moat would have to cost less than without the reaction. Smithy costs . Hunting Grounds costs . And keep in mind that going from to is a much bigger price increase than going from to . Even if this couldn't give you any coin tokens at all I think it would be too strong for . Put it this way... the first one you play IS a Hunting Grounds, a card. And the first Library you play is a Smithy. But Library costs more than Smithy; due to the ability to set-aside actions, and due to the fact that you can play when you have less than 5 cards in hand. So this card without any coin token ability at all should cost more than Hunting Grounds.

Um, a shorter summary, instead of looking at this as an upgraded Library, look at it as an upgraded Hunting Grounds, in the same way that Library is an upgraded Smithy.

So how would you word this with limited space I have on the card? So that you can get it with coin tokens? Also since you can’t get it without coin tokens it doesn’t make sense to have it generate it own coins. And also i wanted to make sure that there was at least 1 Card that generates coin tokens. I didn’t pick baker cause you start with one anyway, so I picked plaza so at least one would help you get it. And besides nocturne has a lot more cards that require other cards. Like exorcist, boons, necromancer ect. And having plaza is still tame to tournament.
Good point on why it doesn't help to have it generate its own coin tokens, I completely missed that. I can't think of a good wording, maybe someone else can. "If you have no treasures in play" could actually be a good starting point. Alternatively, you can do something like this:

King's Wood - - Victory
7[$vp]

That way you can try to buy it all you want, but you need to pay 4 coin tokens if you want to keep it. And the "would gain" instead of "when you gain" prevents Watchtower tricks from letting you keep it.

One other option:
King's Wood - - Victory
0[$vp]

This version lets you get it even without any coins, but if you did, it's a worthless card. It's a little stronger because you can gain it, get the VP, and then trash it.

Actually, it might just work better as an event. A cost event that lets you spend coin tokens to take [$vp] tokens. It couldn't be for 7 anymore, because you wouldn't have a dead card in your deck.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 11:12:15 am by GendoIkari »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2018, 04:32:15 pm »

For kingswood. I think I like the first option I might go with that. I hardly ever play with prosperity cards anyway. It’s my 2nd most hated expansion. Mostly because it doesn’t have very many actions. And some of the actions are annoying like forge. And some of the treasures aren’t that great like venture.

Anyway have you looked at my alchemy cards yet? Those cards are going to be made long before these will. And my snowline expansion which I haven’t posted yet would be next.

For book binding what if I made it cost $7+ and then this way if you had $8. But weren’t ready to buy the provinces yet you could get a powerful action and free duchy.

Yeah it’s true I would mostly not get to play my attacks. But there have been many times I would get 2 attack cards in my hand. And only be able to play one of them anyways. And I’m might change the wording on it like if every player has 5 or more cards in hand reveal them. So that way in a 3 or 4 player game you only have one attack card being lost. And your forgetting Firth guild is also an attack so you could discard there Firth guilds before they get to play them. Plus you have to understand that the majority of the ones I play with are still learning how to play the game. There going to realize a lot of the stuff you mentioned. Even 2 of my friends are still learning how to play with cards from certain expansions. And just a few months ago after a year of playing with it, they realized that they have been playing pirate ship all wrong. And one of them has half the expansions in real life.

You see me my friends have a lot going on in our lives (mostly my friends thought) I’ve got a little more time on my hands thanks to my mental disability. So Their memory isn’t very good when it comes to dominion. To them it’s just a game to play casually. And since I know most of the cards by heart I’m always re teaching them. Which I enjoy almost as much as playing. So these cards are mostly for my friends. I just post them mostly to give the rest of you guys inspiration. And maybe if I need to tweak them a little.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2018, 04:37:28 pm »

Actually the person who starts with it has the advantage (angry bee swarm) because they will want to get rid of it as soon as possible so they will buy the majority of bee keepers anyways. The player who can play it the most has the advantage. And if your playing a 4 player game your less likely to end up with it in the end, if you start with it.

And even though it says random. If I played with just my friends I would volunteer to start with it first anyways.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2018, 04:39:03 pm »

But maybe I can change it. To

Setup: when you buy a victory take the angry bee swarm.

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2018, 05:36:29 pm »

- Nothing stops you from revealing this repeatedly when an attack is played and taking unlimited coin tokens.

Why does this "you can reveal a reaction card an infinite amount of times" rule exist? It seems completely unnecessary and only causes rule confusion.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2018, 05:53:21 pm »
+2

Why does this "you can reveal a reaction card an infinite amount of times" rule exist? It seems completely unnecessary and only causes rule confusion.

It's to do with accountability as the contents of a player's hand is hidden information to the other players. So if the rule wasn't there then players could easily cheat by for example revealing a single Firth Guild 2 times when their opponent plays an attack claiming that they have 2 Firth Guilds in hand.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2018, 06:40:30 pm »
+2

It's to do with accountability as the contents of a player's hand is hidden information to the other players. So if the rule wasn't there then players could easily cheat by for example revealing a single Firth Guild 2 times when their opponent plays an attack claiming that they have 2 Firth Guilds in hand.

Exactly. It was just discussed at length recently, including Donald's thoughts, here. The real-card example is that there is an actual reason you might want to use both Secret Chambers if you had both in hand (and a Moat on top of your deck), but there would be no way of showing whether you were revealing a different one the second time, or the first one again.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2018, 06:43:47 pm »
+1

Actually the person who starts with it has the advantage (angry bee swarm) because they will want to get rid of it as soon as possible so they will buy the majority of bee keepers anyways. The player who can play it the most has the advantage. And if your playing a 4 player game your less likely to end up with it in the end, if you start with it.

And even though it says random. If I played with just my friends I would volunteer to start with it first anyways.

That's backwards logic... any player can buy Bee Keepers if it's a good card worth having, and it doesn't give you an advantage for having the swarm. So starting with the swarm still just means that you are forced to either get Keeper, or take the penalty.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2018, 06:45:36 pm »
+1

But maybe I can change it. To

Setup: when you buy a victory take the angry bee swarm.

That could work if you change the wording to "In games using this, when you buy a victory card..." (See Duchess as an example).

Then you could also decide if you want it to be "when you buy a victory card take the Angry Bee Swarm", or "when you buy a victory card, if no player has the Angry Bee Swarm, take it."

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2018, 08:11:32 pm »

Ahh I see what you mean with Firth guild. If that’s the case I could just add in each player (including you) reveal their hand.

But that isn’t a problem with me and my friends we don’t cheat and we certainly don’t lie unless the game tells us we can like in the games coup and sheriff of Nottingham. Games are just to have fun. It’s just a pass time. Or a hobby for me trying to create cards. We shouldn’t cheat anyways.

If someone is dishonest about how many Firth guilds they have in their hand, that’s their problem. They wouldn’t do that in a real tournament, lest they get kicked out.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.