Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: "no other rule is a Dominion rule"  (Read 5938 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: "no other rule is a Dominion rule"
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2018, 11:50:09 pm »

in most games, if a player who was losing simply gave up and left, it may be considered rude. People do it in Online Dominion all the time, but it doesn't generally happen in IRL Dominion
As a data point, BGG indicates I've walked away from only 2 of the last 1,000 games I've played IRL. A few more were abandoned by universal consent, but I think people I play with know my walking away has a heck of a lot more to do with how tediously stagnant the game is than whether or not I'm winning.

Maybe those two occasions seemed rude, but when things get that bad I'll take the hit. It's not like I shipped someone a bobcat instead of an office chair, or anything...

Yeah I mean context is going to matter a lot; it's certainly not universally rude.

I remember a 3 player game of Terra Mystica at a convention; a long game that started pretty late at night. We all felt like we were about balanced. Until round 5 (out of 6), when one player did several huge actions in a row; suddenly gaining huge amounts of points on myself and the other player. It was quite clear to all of us that the player had won; neither of us other 2 had any means of gaining nearly as many points; even if the third player scored absolutely nothing in round 6. We all looked at each other and just said "so, do we want/need to still play round 6?" And we all agreed that it was late; we'd had our fun; and the winner was clear. So we just didn't play round 6.

On the other hand, there was a game of Dominion I talked about a while ago here. It did seem at least a bit rude that the other 2 players just decided to stop playing in the middle of the game; though at the same time I can sympathize with their position; that they simply weren't having fun just watching me play out my engine each turn, knowing that they would lose eventually.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 20 queries.