Dominion > Rules Questions

"no other rule is a Dominion rule"

(1/6) > >>

greybirdofprey:
I was wondering: are all rules that are not explicitly stated on the cards or in the rulebooks (and possibly by DXV himself) excluded from the Dominion rules? Basically, is anything that is not mentioned yet not contradictory to the rules still not a rule?

GendoIkari:
Not clear what you mean.

There are cases where the written rules are more general, and as such there is a specific thing that you are allowed to do, which could be considered a rule, even though it isn't mentioned in the rulebook. For example, I don't think anything in the rulebook tells you that if your opponent plays a Militia, you are allowed to discard a Victory card instead of a card that you want to use on your turn. Instead, the rules just tell you that you have to discard cards in general (via the rule that says that you do what the cards tell you to do when played).

werothegreat:

--- Quote from: GendoIkari on July 12, 2018, 09:12:07 am ---Not clear what you mean.

There are cases where the written rules are more general, and as such there is a specific thing that you are allowed to do, which could be considered a rule, even though it isn't mentioned in the rulebook. For example, I don't think anything in the rulebook tells you that if your opponent plays a Militia, you are allowed to discard a Victory card instead of a card that you want to use on your turn. Instead, the rules just tell you that you have to discard cards in general (via the rule that says that you do what the cards tell you to do when played).

--- End quote ---

I don't think this is a good example.  Victory cards are still cards, which is what Militia tells you to discard.

Technically, you are not allowed to do anything not specifically allowed in the rules.  You're not allowed to track your deck contents on a piece of paper, for example.  In that sense, Dominion Online is actually a variant, as it allows a VP tracker.  However, IRL, there isn't a Dominion police, so you can do whatever you want.  For instance, I've often tracked VP tokens on a piece of paper when there weren't enough physical tokens.  It really comes down to common sense.  Clearly, even though breathing is not mentioned in the rulebook, you're still allowed to breathe during the game.  However, peeking at another player's hand, or sliding extra cards into your deck when they're not looking would certainly be cheating.

greybirdofprey:

--- Quote from: GendoIkari on July 12, 2018, 09:12:07 am ---Not clear what you mean.

--- End quote ---

Think defining well-formed formulas in formal logic, where you have to end with 'no other formula is a well-formed formula' to complete your formal definition.

I assume 'doing things that don't pertain to the game' is always allowed.

An example of the rules on what you can look at:

--- Quote ---You can count the number of cards in your deck at any time (without looking at the card fronts),
but cannot look through or count your discard pile or another player's deck or discard pile. The
number of cards in each player's hand is public, as is the top card of each discard pile. All cards in
play are public; set aside cards are normally public but are sometimes face down. Players can look
through the Trash pile at any time.

--- End quote ---

They never explicitly state that you can or can't look at another player's hand. Or that you can't randomly discard a card from your hand at any moment, et cetera. However, I assume they are not allowed, because I assume that anything that is not mentioned in the rules (or by DXV) that pertains to the game (i.e. - affects the gameplay) is simply not allowed / not part of the rules.

GendoIkari:

--- Quote from: werothegreat on July 12, 2018, 09:46:32 am ---

--- End quote ---

I don't think this is a good example.  Victory cards are still cards, which is what Militia tells you to discard.

--- End quote ---

That was my whole point though. It might not be a good example of what the OP means (because I'm not sure what he means), but it's definitely a good example of what I meant. The rules don't need to tell you that you can discard victory cards, because they tell you that you discard cards. You infer the specific from the general.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version