Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion Combos #1: Cursed Village + Pathfinding  (Read 6277 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
Dominion Combos #1: Cursed Village + Pathfinding
« on: July 06, 2018, 10:47:18 am »
+4

Cursed Village + Pathfinding

I am going to start a new series on Dominion Combos. Previously, when writing about combos was tried, articles like these were written. Or this. Yikes. It was not optimal, to say the least. And so, I will try my best in this modern age of Dominion to write a comprehensive list of fantastic combos that Dan Brooks could only dream of.

So, this is a fantastic combo. Of course, Pathfinding goes great with a lot of cards. But it pairs with Cursed Village even better than normal. Cursed Village has this problem, that as soon as you draw up to 6, it doesn't draw any more if you play your Smithy, and each $5 you spent into your villages goes into a Necro. That is so sad. Nobles at least gives VP and has the option to draw, for only a coin more in the price point. But Pathfinding fixes that. Now, your Cursed Villages become normal villages when you play them. This effect cannot be understated. When was the last time you played a village, and it drew your draw card you were looking for? Exactly.

And that's not all. The plus card token on Cursed Village also counters a very strong attack: Relic. That's right, you can sacrifice your +card token, and you're still drawing to 6. Relic's $5 opportunity cost will look like a foolish purchasing option versus putting Pathfinding, an amazing event, onto an amazing card, Cursed Village. So be on the lookout for this card combo. (Don't get confused with the card Lookout. Man, that card is bad, it will trash all your provinces and action cards and it's so scary)

I'll maybe write more combos if I feel like it, but I think I had to spread the word about this very strong interaction. Let me know what you guys would like to see next!
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Combos #1: Cursed Village + Pathfinding
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 11:27:03 am »

I don't think this is really all that good.  You're spending to turn a from a Necropolis to a Village.  If you're in a situation where Cursed is your only Village and there aren't a lot of disappearing Actions, then it's just a bad situation.  In most kingdoms, there's probably going to be something better to drop Pathfinding on.  And if you're already in a situation where Cursed is regularly drawing, then Pathfinding literally does nothing.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 11:34:26 am »
+5

Really Wero???

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 11:42:42 am »
+7

These kind of posts are more terrible than any other thing happening on this forum.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 11:43:35 am »
+4

Really Wero???

I mean, it's Seprix, it's hard to tell when he's joking sometimes
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 12:01:51 pm »
+2

These kind of posts are more terrible than any other thing happening on this forum.

Just wait until tristan makes it back to RSP.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 12:09:32 pm »

I genuinely don’t know which post you’re referring to... i almost wonder if Wero edited his post before I saw it, because I don’t see anything in the reply that would be considered rude or anything. He simply provided a counter-argument as to why he doesn’t think it’s  a good combo.

I too thought the combo sounded weird; combining a +1 card with draw-to-X is very counterintuitive (not that that means it’s automatically wrong). But the +1 card token turns the first Cursed Village from a Lost City into a regular Village. That’s really bad. Yes it helps if you play several more; but that’s true no matter what non-terminal you put the token on. The +1 card token on regular Village is way better than the token on Cursed Village.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 12:11:13 pm »
+1

A closer reading of the OP makes me think Seprix is joking. And then the reply to Wero could be because he took it seriously. That would all make sense. But it’s hard to tell.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 12:40:42 pm »

I genuinely don’t know which post you’re referring to...
Seprix' starting post.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 12:49:07 pm »
+1

Seprix' starting post.

Reading the thread with the perspective that the OP was meant as a joke; I feel stupid now. I thought that the second 2 replies were both yelling at Wero for being disrespectful to Seprix by arguing against his article.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 12:56:03 pm »
+4

Seprix' starting post.

Reading the thread with the perspective that the OP was meant as a joke; I feel stupid now. I thought that the second 2 replies were both yelling at Wero for being disrespectful to Seprix by arguing against his article.

The best parodies give enough winks and nods to the attentive reader that it becomes increasingly clear it's a joke, even if it's ambiguous at first. This one needs a few more clues.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 01:03:28 pm »

Seprix' starting post.

I mean, at first I though "tl:dr. Oh hey Wero makes a good argument here."

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2018, 01:31:31 pm »

I mean, at first I thought "tl:dr
Really? I only arrived in this thread in the first place because even the subject line was a WTF.

I was hoping for some interesting trick I'd not thought of, perhaps involving Cursed Village plus Pathfinding applied to some other card. I was disappointed.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2018, 08:33:04 pm »

I don't think this is really all that good.  You're spending to turn a from a Necropolis to a Village.  If you're in a situation where Cursed is your only Village and there aren't a lot of disappearing Actions, then it's just a bad situation.  In most kingdoms, there's probably going to be something better to drop Pathfinding on.  And if you're already in a situation where Cursed is regularly drawing, then Pathfinding literally does nothing.

Pathfinding on Cursed Village increases consistency in your deck. That's why Villa is kinda bad after you buy it on the next turn, because you don't draw at all with it. Turning your Cursed Villages into normal villages makes it more likely you don't dud. The pros don't green early, so you won't mind spending a rogue early $8 from your hand of Silvers and Coppers. The opportunity cost isn't that bad.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2018, 09:28:36 pm »

If you play multiple CV, you still draw after that first one ;)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 09:38:30 pm by ackmondual »
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

phonological loop

• Steward
  • Respect: +29
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2018, 09:52:12 pm »
+1

Seprix' starting post.

The best parodies give enough winks and nods to the attentive reader that it becomes increasingly clear it's a joke, even if it's ambiguous at first. This one needs a few more clues.

The "clue" is that the combo is obviously horrible.

Also, see the comment about Lookout.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2018, 04:29:57 am »
+5

Let me explain the joke to make it funnier. First of all, you can tell from the title of the thread itself that the combo is garbage. Here are some more examples from the OP that make it pretty clear that it's satire:

Or this. Yikes.

Here, Seprix is linking to an article about two cards that actually do work really well together and that even recognizes the strength of the traditionally underrated Loan as an example of an article that's impliedly worse than this one.

And so, I will try my best in this modern age of Dominion to write a comprehensive list of fantastic combos that Dan Brooks could only dream of.

Here, Seprix is saying that the only way Dan goes for these combos is in his dreams.

Nobles at least gives VP and has the option to draw, for only a coin more in the price point.

Here, Seprix is implying that the main value of Nobles comes from being a Necropolis, which is obviously not the case.

But Pathfinding fixes that. Now, your Cursed Villages become normal villages when you play them. This effect cannot be understated.

Here, Seprix is literally saying that the point of this combo is to turn your $5 card with an on-gain penalty into a $3 card.

When was the last time you played a village, and it drew your draw card you were looking for? Exactly.

Well, when was the last time that happened? Exactly.

And that's not all. The plus card token on Cursed Village also counters a very strong attack: Relic. That's right, you can sacrifice your +card token, and you're still drawing to 6. Relic's $5 opportunity cost will look like a foolish purchasing option versus putting Pathfinding, an amazing event, onto an amazing card, Cursed Village.

Here, Seprix is pretending to think that the plus card token in this case does anything at all. Furthermore, he's now saying that Cursed Village is an amazing card, even though earlier in the article he said that Cursed Village is a sad card because it's just a $5 Necropolis.

So be on the lookout for this card combo. (Don't get confused with the card Lookout. Man, that card is bad, it will trash all your provinces and action cards and it's so scary)

And finally, Seprix refers to the common newbie misconception that Lookout is a weak card.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.