Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Author Topic: Why I'm quitting Dominion for the foreseeable future (not satire)  (Read 38361 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12867
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Why I'm quitting Dominion for the foreseeable future (not satire)
« Reply #150 on: July 12, 2018, 06:12:53 pm »
+4

Well, I'm not trying to quit an addiction here, I'm just quitting something that I never really feel like doing, anyway.
You're also making sure to tell us all.

Well, yeah. This is the forum for talking about Dominion, so I'm talking about Dominion, specifically the things that I think about it right now.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silvern

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 12, 2018, 06:58:36 pm »
+4

someone please lock this thread and end my pain

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 12, 2018, 09:04:29 pm »
+2

Well, I'm not trying to quit an addiction here, I'm just quitting something that I never really feel like doing, anyway.
You're also making sure to tell us all.
I interpret "why I'm quitting" announcements as a valiant attempt to combat the inherent response bias in a community almost exclusively consisting of feedback from the people who have remained within it.

Currently I have this thing where I enter the URL for Dominion Online, then remember my subscription is expired, then enter the URL for War of Omens.  Sorry Stef :(
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 11:50:40 pm by popsofctown »

buckets

• Scout
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 22, 2018, 11:23:18 pm »
+2

For #3, the solution is not to add a deck tracker; but to prevent people from accessing the full log during the game. Deck tracking is supposed to be a mental exercise in Dominion.

Then that's even worse.

There's already an excellent deck tracker, works for any game too:

buckets

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 22, 2018, 11:30:48 pm »
+1

The entire point of the rule forbidding looking through the discard is exactly so that players won't waste everybody else's time by constantly doing it. I guess it would be nice to have the ability to use that house rule in Dominion Online, but I think the people clamoring for it are the ones most likely to abuse it and slow games way down.

To be fair (and in spite of my earlier joke), having a deck tracker with all info easily accessible would eliminate the "takes too long" issue.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 23, 2018, 12:14:33 am »
+1

Why did you revive this
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

buckets

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 23, 2018, 12:15:20 am »

If you're ever thinking about using a semicolon, don't. Just don't. I promise you you don't need it.

And if you do need it, then it should probably be an em dash instead. Much punchier.

buckets

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 23, 2018, 12:15:49 am »

Why did you revive this

Thanksgiving pot and food haze.

Also it's been super funny to read after the fact.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #158 on: February 19, 2022, 11:38:23 am »

Now that I'm playing Dominion more actively again, I thought it would be interesting to take another look at this and see what I think about my complaints now.

1) Prismata doesn't have any of the following problems and it's just a really good game in general so I'd rather spend my time playing Prismata.
2) My opponent can take a really long time to think while I have nothing to do. Slowrolling on purpose is a rare problem, but people who just take a long time to think are pretty common and just as frustrating to play against.
3) There's no deck tracker. This means I have to choose between spending a long time digging the log for information all the time and making uninformed decisions all the time.
4) Shuffle iT's implementation is sometimes very slow, which is probably at least partially because it's a browser client, not a standalone.
5) There are many reasons why the game can be a serious uphill battle for one player for reasons nobody had any control over. The most notable reason is first player advantage, but games where that happens because of shuffle luck are also common enough that they actually happen. While alternating the starting player can make it a fair match in a tournament or the League, that doesn't make it any more enjoyable to play the games where a player can only really lose if they make an enormous mistake.
6) If I play ladder actively, I mostly have to get matched against people who are significantly worse than me. This might not be true at the moment, but it was when I stopped playing ladder three months ago, hoping that the other problems wouldn't bother me so much in the more competitive and more evenly matched League setting (but as it turns out, they still did).
7) Donald X. has been talking about each new expansion being diminishing returns because you only get to see the new cards so often when there are 300 other cards in the pool, and with the release of Nocturne, I think we finally passed some kind of a threshold for me where I feel like it actually didn't really contribute very much towards making the overall game more interesting. I still have a lot of Nocturne cards that I suck at playing, and I think that's mostly just because a lot of kingdoms just have the same old cards that I can already wrap my head around and the Nocturne stuff doesn't show up all that much. This is not really even a problem per say, but some kind of a standardized format (that you could automatch for) that leaves out some of the older expansions certainly wouldn't hurt.

1) Prismata has long queue times nowadays, so it has gotten a bit less attractive in comparison, although it is still a really good game. On ShiT, I can easily find a match in no time.
2) I am probably in a stronger mental state now than I was and therefore less affected by this, plus I have found techniques to better manage my attention span. But I feel like the culture might have also shifted away from excessively long thinking somewhat, which is great.
3) I would still like to have a deck tracker, but I think I was overstating how bad it is without one. It's not hard to dig the log for info, and most of the time I actually remember the most important info because I bought all the cards for a reason. I still don't find anything enjoyable about the memory game element of Dominion, but it rarely plays a particularly important role.
4) So far the dev client seems like a major improvement over the old one.
5) As far as I can tell, this problem is still as bad as it was and my opinion on it hasn't gotten more favorable either.
6) I'm honestly not even sure how much this actually bothered me. It's really nice to get matched against players I have higher hopes of learning something from, but at least nowadays, I don't really it at all annoying to get matched against lower rated people. But I guess the people in the low-to-mid-50s range are better players nowadays than they used to be. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
7) So apparently Donald X. had been talking about something slightly different instead, but that's not the point really. The extra Menagerie option on ShiT is really nice and makes the game feel more interesting.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 25, 2022, 08:33:56 am »
+1

Welcome back, especially to the forum. A pinch of controversy is sometimes needed.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

AlexanderJohan

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 28, 2022, 05:37:51 am »
+1

1) Prismata doesn't have any of the following problems and it's just a really good game in general so I'd rather spend my time playing Prismata.

1) Prismata has long queue times nowadays, so it has gotten a bit less attractive in comparison, although it is still a really good game. On ShiT, I can easily find a match in no time.

It's a shame isn't it. I'm still secretly hoping for a revival, but it's a feedback loop (long queue times scare people away, leading to longer queuetimes). I'm not sure but I heard the devs gave up on promoting the game at all.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 28, 2022, 08:18:52 am »

Since I don't always know how much time and effort I'm willing to spend, I usually play quick games against a bot and basically treat it like solitaire these days. :D

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #162 on: February 28, 2022, 10:21:07 am »

It's a shame isn't it. I'm still secretly hoping for a revival, but it's a feedback loop (long queue times scare people away, leading to longer queuetimes). I'm not sure but I heard the devs gave up on promoting the game at all.

Possibly they will have more time to focus on Prismata after Jelly Is Sticky is released.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.