Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Author Topic: Why I'm quitting Dominion for the foreseeable future (not satire)  (Read 38077 times)

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
Re: Why I'm quitting Dominion for the foreseeable future (not satire)
« Reply #125 on: July 11, 2018, 04:05:51 am »
+1

I have literally no idea what you mean by "technically" here.
"Literally" is in-and-of-itself another abomination of modern English.

If you're ever thinking about using a semicolon, don't. Just don't. I promise you you don't need it.
- said no programming language ever.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 04:08:41 am by Dingan »

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 11, 2018, 04:33:20 am »
+2

If you're ever thinking about using a semicolon, don't. Just don't. I promise you you don't need it.
- said no programming language ever.
Python doesn't really need them.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Screwyioux

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: JakeTheZipper
  • Respect: +226
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 11, 2018, 08:38:46 am »

Here is an interesting podcast about how a problematic semicolon in the US-American constitution could cause a constitutional crisis:

http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/21-divide-and-conquer

That said, semicola are cool. But they are also the most subtle of punctuation marks. You should really know what you're doing when using it. Unlike the people who wrote the US-American constitution.

I mean my whole thing with them is that the vast majority of people both use them wrong and don't need them. So I just tell people not to use them for the same reason a dentist would tell you not to use that little curvy, scrapey thing they clean your teeth with. You know the one.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 11, 2018, 09:00:49 am »
+3

That distinction, by the way, is a factoid that has been relevant to my life exactly one time.

You all totally missed this one, guys. A "factoid" is not a little fact, it's something that seems like a fact but isn't.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 11, 2018, 09:09:37 am »
+3

I use semicolons all the time; they're really rather useful when neither a period nor a comma would be appropriate.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Screwyioux

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 11, 2018, 09:14:45 am »

That distinction, by the way, is a factoid that has been relevant to my life exactly one time.

You all totally missed this one, guys. A "factoid" is not a little fact, it's something that seems like a fact but isn't.

Haha I had no idea, but you're right! That was unintentional, but also rather appropriate, isn't it?

« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 09:19:26 am by Screwyioux »

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile

Screwyioux

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 11, 2018, 09:53:00 am »
+7

semicola
*twitch*

What, he's just talking about those little baby cans of Coke they give you on airplanes.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 11, 2018, 11:09:51 am »
+3

Not to be confused with a semicoda, which is like a coda but halfway through the song.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #134 on: July 11, 2018, 11:30:51 am »
+5

I'm going to take a break from Dominion as well, because I'm getting hungry.

tripwire

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +211
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 11, 2018, 11:44:24 am »
+6

People's resistance to literally used as an intensifier is one of the tics of language prescriptivists that most bothers me. I get especially irritated when people try to correct it by saying "you mean figuratively." No, I don't; figuratively is not used as an intensifier. Furthermore, "literally" has been used in this way for ages (the OED's entries start in 1769) and this is now the most common use of the word.

Also, just for fun, here's Kurt Vonnegut on semicolons:

Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you’ve been to college.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 11, 2018, 01:04:30 pm »
+1

Isn't transvestite hermaphrodite an oxymoron? If one has attributes of both sexes, which OTHER sex can one dress as? Even assuming a non-binary sex-understanding, I cannot think of one that has a sufficiently attributed and well-established wardrobe.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 11, 2018, 01:10:40 pm »

Not necessarily, most dictionaries give a secondary (in some cases primary) definition of factoid as "a brief or trivial item of news or information" or some variation thereof. That seems to be the meaning Screwyioux was going for.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 11, 2018, 02:39:25 pm »
+2

People's resistance to literally used as an intensifier is one of the tics of language prescriptivists that most bothers me. I get especially irritated when people try to correct it by saying "you mean figuratively." No, I don't; figuratively is not used as an intensifier. Furthermore, "literally" has been used in this way for ages (the OED's entries start in 1769) and this is now the most common use of the word.

Usually when I use "literally" for purposes outside having an intensifier, it is to describe an outlandish event described in literature that actually took place as described. So like, "She literally crushes the villain at the end (with a hydraulic press)" or "He literally punched out the Devil, leaving a visible bump on the Devil's forehead".

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 11, 2018, 04:03:27 pm »
+7

at this point we really should just rename RSP to Religion Sex Politics and Grammar because I’m sure I’m not the only person off put by 20+ posts of descriptivism vs prescriptivism, and every one of these garbage tangents ends up there anyway
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 11, 2018, 04:22:11 pm »
+2

every one of these garbage tangents ends up there anyway

Pro Tip: Never make an insightful post in a thread like this one because your respect will just disappear* when it gets moved to RSP[G].

* Or maybe just turn invisible.

pacatak

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
Why i persume i'll play dominion as much or slightly more than i do now
« Reply #141 on: July 11, 2018, 04:43:08 pm »
+8

I play dominion almost exclusively with a pool of five players.  We used to play at least weekly when we were in the same town. but most of the group has moved away.

Thankfully one of use has sprung for a full subscription online. we get together, play dominion and have a fun group chat.

I probably don't play at the super high level some do, but it's dang fun.  It's just an excuse to spend time with the guys.

there is enough variability in Dominion that everyone wins sometimes. And can Lord that over the rest of the people until we play again.

I'm so glad online dominion has 3-4 player options.  I like having everyone able to play.

So yeah.  I'll keep playing, more online than in person.  but I sure love this game.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 04:44:23 pm by pacatak »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 11, 2018, 05:20:37 pm »
+12

at this point we really should just rename RSP to Religion Sex Politics and Grammar because I’m sure I’m not the only person off put by 20+ posts of descriptivism vs prescriptivism, and every one of these garbage tangents ends up there anyway

Didn’t you know? RSP stands for Rhetoric, Semantics and Punctuation.

(Also, before this thread got to page 2, you should already have got an idea of whether reading this thread was going to produce happiness)
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #143 on: July 11, 2018, 06:58:49 pm »
+1

every one of these garbage tangents ends up there anyway

Pro Tip: Never make an insightful post in a thread like this one because your respect will just disappear* when it gets moved to RSP[G].

* Or maybe just turn invisible.

The respect won't disappear from your respect count, you will just be unable to receive any more.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #144 on: July 11, 2018, 09:02:12 pm »
+2

On a (now) unrelated note, I found it much easier to quit previous addictions if I cut myself out of all related communities/forums as well. I recognize that this is hard to do, especially if one has friends there.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 12, 2018, 02:19:36 am »
+4

On a (now) unrelated note, I found it much easier to quit previous addictions if I cut myself out of all related communities/forums as well. I recognize that this is hard to do, especially if one has friends there.

I know what you mean to say here. But I paid for that membership on coughsyrupfriends.org and I'm not going to just throw 6,42€ away.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #146 on: July 12, 2018, 05:33:41 am »

Well, I'm not trying to quit an addiction here, I'm just quitting something that I never really feel like doing, anyway.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #147 on: July 12, 2018, 08:30:08 am »

I know what you mean to say here. But I paid for that membership on coughsyrupfriends.org and I'm not going to just throw 6,42€ away.

There are all kinds of reasons quitting something might be difficult! The argument is still the same. If you don't want to play a game anymore, the amount you spent doesn't actually matter.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 12, 2018, 11:18:16 am »

Well, I'm not trying to quit an addiction here, I'm just quitting something that I never really feel like doing, anyway.
You're also making sure to tell us all.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 12, 2018, 12:30:23 pm »

There are all kinds of reasons quitting something might be difficult! The argument is still the same. If you don't want to play a game anymore, the amount you spent doesn't actually matter.

My post was for entertainment purposes only.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.