Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Aging  (Read 1651 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
Aging
« on: June 28, 2018, 09:48:01 am »

One side effect of aging that people don't tell you: You eventually get to a point where your boss is younger than you.

For the first time, I'm taking orders from someone younger than me. She's cool, and she obviously values my experience and respects me, so it's not an awkward situation. I imagine it can't be, and I think I can see why some older people that I've managed may have been troublesome.

But it's just a weird thought that up until now, I've always had a direct manager who is older. It's just one of those things where I've just kind of equated authority with age.

I've already seen this effect outside of work. There are plenty of policemen and doctors younger than me, but they are the authoritative experts in their fields, so I respect them (though some aren't worthy of that respect, I'm sure).

It's not something that I've dwelled on. Perhaps that's a good thing. It means I've accepted people based on their knowledge. It's just now that this has come to my attention.

It's not like this trend is going to stop. It's how aging works.
A man has no signature

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Aging
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 10:04:11 am »

I already experienced that in the military since I entered a few years later than most other people so a lot of the corporals were younger than me. It wasn't a very big difference though since it was only by like 1-2 years.

The aspect of aging that I'm the most worried about is hearing. Just a while ago, I was shocked to realize that my mom literally doesn't hear anything above 8 kHz and then I was further shocked to realize that it's normal for people of her age.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 10:07:24 am »

Not exactly the same thing as you're describing, but I learnt today that one of my supervisor's main collaborators - and a world-leading expert in the particular field of maths that he's involved in - is only 30 years old - ie only 4 years older than me.
This guy got his PhD (from an elite US university) at the age of 23.

Some people are relatively young but nonetheless just terrifyingly good at what they do.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 10:14:02 am »

I'm the second-oldest member of my arbiting team at the London Chess Classic. Which is incredible for an arbiter in Britain who isn't yet 40.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 11:27:26 am »

The aspect of aging that I'm the most worried about is hearing. Just a while ago, I was shocked to realize that my mom literally doesn't hear anything above 8 kHz and then I was further shocked to realize that it's normal for people of her age.

Yeah, getting to experience that myself. Mine may also be hereditary. My father was always hard-of-hearing, and his sister informed me recently that she's been in hearing aids, and her two kids are suffering hearing loss.

So between my father's hearing loss and my mother's macular degeneration, I'm looking at an interesting lottery coming up.

So far, so good. My macula has some drusens, but it's fine right now. I can't hear high pitched noises and I lose conversations in background noise, but I am still functional. Not looking forward to either of those changing since they generally don't change for the better.
A man has no signature

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 01:39:25 pm »

I already experienced that in the military since I entered a few years later than most other people so a lot of the corporals were younger than me. It wasn't a very big difference though since it was only by like 1-2 years.

What was that? Speak up, I can't hear you.

(Actually my hearing problems are neurological, not age-related, alas)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 03:23:36 am »
+1

My boss is 1 year older than me, but he has 3 successfully launched projects and he earned his first million at 16 y.o. Every time i see him i get a little depressed, but well
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.