Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The Boon challenge  (Read 2355 times)

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
The Boon challenge
« on: June 26, 2018, 02:39:45 pm »

The puzzle is simple:

Using only Kingdom cards from Nocturne, what is the maximum number of times you can receive the same Boon over the course of a single turn?

Assume a legal 2-player game, cooperation from your opponent, and perfect shuffle luck.

Somewhat more interestingly, what is the number for a solitaire game?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 10:57:01 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
Re: The Boon challenge
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 06:23:11 pm »

I'm guessing unbounded. Take one of the unbounded sequences that we already know Villa enables and tweak it to repeat a Boon-giving payload.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 06:56:03 pm »
+6

Using only Kingdom cards from Nocturne,

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 08:16:41 pm »
+4

I'm no good at these challenges, so consider my 16 as an initial lower bound:

6 copies of Druid are set aside with 6 copies of Ghost.  You have 4 copies of Druid in hand.  One of the set-aside Boons is +Action.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 03:13:07 am »

6 copies of Druid are set aside with 6 copies of Ghost.  You have 4 copies of Druid in hand.  One of the set-aside Boons is +Action.
I can say that the Boon in my solution is not set aside by Druid, and my lower bound is higher. (I think 16 is actually the maximum number of times you can play Druid with Nocturne only, unless I missed some shenanigans involving Necromancer).

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 10:24:50 am »

(Rather more awake now than I was yesterday!)
(I think 16 is actually the maximum number of times you can play Druid with Nocturne only, unless I missed some shenanigans involving Necromancer).
I'm tempted to agree. Ghost is the only Throne, and there are only six of them. I think shenanigans need either trash-from-play or gain-from-trash, both of which are missing?

I'm guessing the optimal answer is going to revolve around having Druid present to take three Boons out of circulation, your "opponent" gaining eight Blessed Villages and saving those Boons for next turn, then pummelling Ghostly Pixies plus whatever else you can find to keep receiving the one Boon left in the pile?

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 10:58:34 am »

(Rather more awake now than I was yesterday!)
(I think 16 is actually the maximum number of times you can play Druid with Nocturne only, unless I missed some shenanigans involving Necromancer).
I'm tempted to agree. Ghost is the only Throne, and there are only six of them. I think shenanigans need either trash-from-play or gain-from-trash, both of which are missing?

I'm guessing the optimal answer is going to revolve around having Druid present to take three Boons out of circulation, your "opponent" gaining eight Blessed Villages and saving those Boons for next turn, then pummelling Ghostly Pixies plus whatever else you can find to keep receiving the one Boon left in the pile?
I wanted to put some condition that disallows setting yourself up like that, then figured that the easiest way is probably to just demand a solitaire game. Though the question of "assume neither player gained a card during the 2 previous turns" is also interesting.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 01:40:59 pm »

I can say that the Boon in my solution is not set aside by Druid, and my lower bound is higher. (I think 16 is actually the maximum number of times you can play Druid with Nocturne only, unless I missed some shenanigans involving Necromancer).

Yes, I'm pretty sure 16 is the upper bound on what my solution could do, so like I said, a complete lower bound for any other solution.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 21 queries.