Dominion > Rules Questions

summon + death cart vs. summon + nomad camp

(1/12) > >>

ehunt:
I just tried to summon a death cart for a burst of five coin goodness and was disappointed to learn of this ruling. I get the logic with the current way the Lose Track rule is worded, but ugh. I'd like an appeals committee or something, here.

silvern:
I am somewhat of the opinion that the Lose Track rule was made in order to arbitrate ambiguous decisions in a way which aligns with common sense and THUS in situations where common sense is violated like this, something is wrong with the rule, not the common sense (which the rule ought to preserve)! But I do get that dominion, especially online, should be as precise as possible.

(Wittgenstein once remarked something similar regarding Russell and Whitehead's Principia Mathematica, an attempt to ground arithmetic in the rules of logic (the work, famously, takes many dozens of pages before even proving that 1+1=2). He noted that basic arithmetic couldn't possibly be grounded in such a project, for if their logical structure told us something that contradicted a basic belief about arithmetic, we would automatically assume that it was their work that was wrong, not our naďvw arithmetical beliefs.)

Chris is me:
I don’t see ignoring lose track here as “common sense”. If the discard pile were allowed to be looked through you’d have more of an argument, but since it cannot be, you can’t “go get” that Death Cart anyway, so it make sense that the game loses track of it.

silvern:
that's very fair!

That said, if you explained all the basic rules of dominion to someone, and then set them up with a game in which this situation occurred, I doubt that anyone but the most precision oriented person would even think that something funky might possibly occur. Pretty much everyone, I imagine, would just set aside the death cart.

Maybe i'm wrong on this point though. I guess we could run it as an experiment and find out....

infangthief:
If you trash/top-deck each ruin using Watchtower or Royal Seal, then Death Cart is sitting there on top of your discard pile when Summon tries to set it aside.
But Summon has still lost-track of Death Cart, right?

I suppose you just have to keep track of which cards/events have lost-track of which other cards...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version