Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Pile Control Card --Reinforcements?  (Read 1568 times)

silvern

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
Pile Control Card --Reinforcements?
« on: June 17, 2018, 03:02:27 pm »

Reinforcements - $6 Action

Trash a card from the supply.
Gain up to two cards, each costing less than this.
----------------
When you gain this, each other player may gain a card costing less than this.

Obviously a card that would be useful the whole game, but in particular the end--trash a province, gain two duchies while you're ahead; etc.

Too weak? Too pointless?

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
Re: Pile Control Card --Reinforcements?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 04:11:58 pm »

Let's ignore the piledriving and assume for the sake of simplicity that you will mainly trash Gold. Then Reinforcements is a bit weaker than a double Artisan, compensated by the fact that the opponents get a $5 when you gain this.
The tempo advantage could make this sufficient compensation but I seriously doubt it. So in the first glance it looks too good compared to Artisan. Here the comparison again in short:

+ gains 2 $5s
+ can be used to piledrive
- opponents gain a $5 when you gain this
- unlike with Artisan you don't gain to hand

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 06:10:27 pm »

Just wanted to make sure the card gaining is conditional on Advancements price and not the price of the trashed card.

silvern

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 08:35:13 pm »

It is! Otherwise it would be totally insane.

Still, you might be right about its strength....another useful comparison might be Altar?

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 11:05:10 pm »

“Less than this” in the top half referring to the card itself is super confusing, it definitely sounds like it’s talking about the card being trashed. I would definitely say “costing up to $5” instead, otherwise it sounds like it’s a card that lets you trash a Colony from the supply to gain two Provinces. “Less than this” in the on gain ability is fine as there’s no other subject to confuse it with.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

silvern

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 12:11:55 am »

“Less than this” in the top half referring to the card itself is super confusing, it definitely sounds like it’s talking about the card being trashed. I would definitely say “costing up to $5” instead, otherwise it sounds like it’s a card that lets you trash a Colony from the supply to gain two Provinces. “Less than this” in the on gain ability is fine as there’s no other subject to confuse it with.

Originally I did have it this way; the change was because if the on-gain effect said $5, with a single highway in play, the whole pile could be emptied instantly, which seemed wonky. So I just changed the wording on all of it to be consistent (also it makes it sligggghtly weaker, which seems good)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 12:27:15 am »
+4

Just reverse the order of the abilities. "Gain 2 cards, each costing less than this. Trash a card from the Supply."

I'm not saying this card is balanced, but that should fix the parsing problem.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 11:03:41 am »
+1

Originally I did have it this way; the change was because if the on-gain effect said $5, with a single highway in play, the whole pile could be emptied instantly, which seemed wonky. So I just changed the wording on all of it to be consistent (also it makes it sligggghtly weaker, which seems good)

The on-gain effect should/needs to say "less than this". But there's no good reason for the on-play effect to say that. Just make the on-play "up to ".
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.