Miscellaneous > Other Games

Dicey Dungeons

(1/3) > >>

Titandrake:
https://www.terrycavanaghgames.com/dice/

One of the latest games Terry Cavanagh is working on. He's most well known for VVVVVV and Super Hexagon. It's a dice-based roguelike, and it's free to play in the browser. New builds have been coming out every 2 weeks. Interface is pure drag-and-drop, there's no save file and you'll lose progress on a refresh.

It's somewhat unpolished, but it was still strangely fun. I beat Warrior and Inventor on my first try. Thief took me a few tries, I beat it when I got the Thieves Guild and learned Backstab which helped my damage output a lot. I still haven't beaten Witch, I feel like I'm always too low on health, and die on floor 4 to a high damage enemy or a Banshee that keeps silencing me.

Edit: just beat Witch, essentially by lucking into a floor 4 where I only had to beat one enemy to pass, and where I set up a good spellbook before I got silenced every turn.

sitnaltax:
Thanks! There's a lot of potential here and messing around is fun. I'll definitely keep watching and play when it's reasonably baked.

pacovf:
Tried the warrior, was fun, has some good ideas.

...although now I have "Womanizer" stuck in my head.

blueblimp:
I've played v0.7. It's definitely fun and worth a try. One thing it does nicely is to keep play moving along. It doesn't drag much.

The Yahtzee-style dice manipulation in particular is quite fun, but after I got used to that, I feel like the rest of the game isn't as interesting. In combat, it feels like you're usually trying to do the same thing every turn. Slay the Spire solves that with systems like showing enemy intents and combat with multiple enemies. I think that enemy intents might work even better in DD than they do in StS, because in DD you almost always have access to all your abilities every turn. (I haven't played much StS, though, mostly because of pacing.) Here's an article about the StS intents: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/02/19/why-revealing-all-is-the-secret-of-slay-the-spires-success/.

singletee:
I've discovered a tactic to maximize the use of your limit break. If you are in a battle that will cause you to level afterwards, and you are about to kill the enemy, wait and let it hit you until your limit meter is full (or until you risk dying), since you will heal fully anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version