Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Simulation Challenge: Make Scout useful  (Read 11100 times)

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
Re: Simulation Challenge: Make Scout useful
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2012, 04:39:40 pm »

It's possible to customise the decisions for one script only but not to write a generalised scout AI that is based on card combinations in hand and in the draw deck.

??

Why is in hand not possible? You can use my.countInHand("XYZ") to get cards in hand. Draw is a little bit more difficult, if you have enough time you could generate some hypothetical copies and run a small MC-sim for every play of Scout. Not very efficient, but possible. But via my.draw it should also be possible to get the cards that are in the draw. Using the order in it is of course a hack, but just counting should be possible.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 04:41:42 pm »

It's possible to customise the decisions for one script only but not to write a generalised scout AI that is based on card combinations in hand and in the draw deck.

??

Why is in hand not possible? You can use my.countInHand("XYZ") to get cards in hand. Draw is a little bit more difficult, if you have enough time you could generate some hypothetical copies and run a small MC-sim for every play of Scout. Not very efficient, but possible. But via my.draw it should also be possible to get the cards that are in the draw. Using the order in it is of course a hack, but just counting should be possible.

I think what he's saying is that it's infeasible to write a generic Scout AI that will do a good job for every strategy that uses it. And indeed that's a really hard thing to do.

NinjaBus

• Steward
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2012, 05:41:27 pm »

The only time I can remember scout being useful for me was when I opened Scout/Pawn and was gunning for peddlers. Being able to deliberately set up an action draw chain in the first 5 turns matters in such a game, and skipping estates to do it helps. Of course, teaching a script how to maximize its buys*actions played over multiple turns isn't going to be a cakewalk.

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2012, 10:27:47 am »

I'm betting there are solutions involving Conspirator.  The question is what other support is needed.  Loan and/or Hamlet might work.  Just Scout / Conspirator probably loses bad to big money.  It seems like the simulators would have a hard time playing things correctly, though.

gamesou

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +337
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2012, 04:45:18 am »

I remember a game with Silk Road/Harem/Great Hall where Scouts were shining. I would be very surprised if the optimal play was to ignore Scouts in that game.

The log :
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120313-074928-6f49bdd8.html
Designer of Chronos Conquest

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2012, 05:06:09 pm »

What about a tunnel-discard strategy? Using scouts to draw tunnels into the hand then discard with vault, yw, sc, etc.

Maybe not yw since it conflicts with price point.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.