Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Favorite/least favorite Landmarks?  (Read 3480 times)

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
Favorite/least favorite Landmarks?
« on: June 04, 2018, 12:13:55 am »

I covered some of how I'd categorized them here...
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1889010/dominion-empires-10th-expansion-has-less-cards-add

... feel free to use that as a reference, but I'll just keep things non-categorized for this thread.

======== LIKES ========
Palace - I like how buying Treasure can get you points, and these can provide tension of whetehr you'd rather get Platinum/alternative Treasure, or the standard Trifecta.  Plus, it causes a 'hard decision' in games where you can still do a bit of Trashing (though not compared to completely stripping away all/most of your Coppers)

Fountain - Like another take on Gardens, and quite a lot of pts to boot!

Baths - when there is something to buy, it's nice to make a harder decision of whether or not you should.  When there isn't anything meaningful to do, taking in the 2pts is nice!

Obelisk - Can make ordinary cards extraordinary.  Also, they're functionally VP, but since most of these are NOT hybrid with Victory type/keyword, many of the restrictions that applied to gaining Victory cards aren't an issue here

Basilica - Sort of an homage to Guild's Overpay mechanic.  Here, you either overpay by 2+, or not, but still gives you a reason to try to set up having more coins than not.

Tomb - always a fan of trashing  8)

Museum - I tend to like to get variety anyways

======== DISLIKES ========
Keep - creates tension in keeping track of Treasures, if you should hold on to some of them (esp. the alternative Treasures), and if you should go for tying to get pts, or going further to deny those 5pts.  Ditto with just keeping track of other players' decks in general... I'm kinda lousy at being able to do that well.  I can keep track of stuff in my own deck (barely), but other players'... esp. 4p games... tracking Provinces took some practice to get down, and even then, it's still not fully certain

Wolf Den - I'm pretty lousy at tracking this :(
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite/least favorite Landmarks?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 03:52:11 am »

Favorite:
Mountain Pass. This is a nice way of adding a classic board game mechanic into the game. It changes the game just enough to be interesting without distorting it. Unlike, say...

Keep: Maybe I really hate area control games, but I certainly don't like it as a significant factor in Dominion. I think it distorts the game in an unpleasant way (for me).

teamlyle

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: La-Ya
  • Ah... German Hello?
  • Respect: +329
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 03:10:25 pm »

I like almost all of the Landmarks. They're a simple and elegant idea, and they change the way people play the game without messing with the mechanics almost at all. There are a few I don't like however:

Arena: almost never are you faced with an actually tough decision of whether to play an Action or discard it for 2 VP. Usually, one player will win the split 8-4 just because of luck.

Orchard/Museum/Keep: All neat ideas, but they take brainpower to remember how much of stuff you have, which is brainpower you aren't spending on analyzing the board. I guess it's good to keep track of what you have in any game, regardless of landmarks, but I'm just lazy.

"In your face." -Jacob
"Ooh. You just got burned." -Jack
"First place again, disciple!" -Ruikai
"Ugh... 399 cursors. Time to hack!" -Ben
"You gotta do your homework, dude!" -Yul
"Come on man, let the plat play." -The Plat
"It's nice to have a good 'in your face' every once in a while." -Jacob
"OBJECTION!!! The witness is being SUPER gross." -Phoenix Wright
"Milord, Inquisitor Fey sentences that burger to my stomach!" -Maya Fey
"Dude, I only had 4 cups of coffee this morning so I'm gonna crash." -Swi
"Okay, okay. My team name is: Team Lyle: the Advancing Armadillo." -Lyle
"I’m sorry Cedric, we just have to do what we have to do to get me to be a op." -Paul
"Well, I prefer loyal people. I don’t want anyone to be a La-Ya except for me." -La-Ya
"I don't play Monkey vs. Monkey. I'm too busy in pacifist mode, watching my buildings survive and thrive!" -Joshua
Lyle's mom: Are you guys going to play regular Dominion, or are you going to play cheat?
Lyle: Of course we're playing Cheat Dominion!

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 04:01:11 pm »

Arena: almost never are you faced with an actually tough decision of whether to play an Action or discard it for 2 VP. Usually, one player will win the split 8-4 just because of luck.
I think of it more as compensation for terminal collision. Winning the Arena split doesn't usually mean you've had better luck. It's true that it doesn't usually lead to interesting decisions, and has a good chance to cause annoying "gotcha" moments.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 07:42:54 pm »

Favorites:

Fountain - Often a bad option that gets ignored, but very satisfying when you can make it work.

Museum - Diversity yay!

Tomb - Trashing yay!

Wall - This is like Tomb in that it rewards you for something you want to do anyway (trashing) and it doesn't make much of a difference in the end if there's no trashing. But in games with trashing, it can present really interesting decisions.

Wolf Den - I can see why this could be annoying and horrible to track IRL, but online with scores shown eliminating all those singletons becomes a really satisfying sub-game.

Least favorites:

Battlefield - I dislike that this encourages early greening and rushes instead of building big engines that pay off at the very end.

Keep - Glad I'm not the only one who dislikes this. The point swing is ridiculous, it encourages boring money strategies, it's hard to track and the endless arms-race of buying the same cards over and over is seriously unfun.

Palace - This one just feels weird and arbitrarily convoluted. It also has a lot of the same problems as Keep: Boring money strategies, hard to track, endless arms-race of the same few cards.

Triumphal Arch - Ugh, most confusing Landmark ever. I often ignore it entirely because it's such a headache to track even with scores shown.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 07:44:54 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 12:36:29 am »

There aren't any Landmarks that stand out to be as a favorite above the others, but I like a lot of them.

I like putting Obelisk on a weaker card in IRL games when you can choose.

I agree with what other people said about not liking Keep or Arena.

I don't mind harder-to-track ones like Triumphal Arch, Orchard, and Palace. My memory/tracking skill needs practice, and I think this is a fun way to practice it.

cascadestyler

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: cascadestyler
  • Vamos Cuidadanos!
  • Respect: +149
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 06:30:15 am »

I ruddy despise Keep
"You can't help people being right for the wrong reasons...This fear of finding oneself in bad company is not an expression of political purity; it is an expression of a lack of self-confidence."

- Arthur Koestler

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 07:54:03 am »

Battlefield stands out for me as a least favorite, it's not even close. It is great at killing weaker engines.

Orchard is probably my favorite, since it is a lot of points you can get while still building, and it is not always automatic like some others.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 10:27:54 am »
+1

I like Keep...

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 11:32:07 am »

For me, Keep can be too successful at what it does, essentially prolonging games by adding turns of treasure buying that are not really moivng the game forward at all.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 11:59:11 am »
+1

I have a soft spot for Tomb.

Although superficially it is indeed rewarding you for something you want to do anyway, in a kingdom with strong trashing what it really rewards is accumulating junk to trash, and cycling things through trash for benefit as hard as possible, even when there's no actual benefit. That can lead to memorably silly and unusual games.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 01:43:14 pm »
+1

Although superficially it is indeed rewarding you for something you want to do anyway, in a kingdom with strong trashing what it really rewards is accumulating junk to trash, and cycling things through trash for benefit as hard as possible, even when there's no actual benefit. That can lead to memorably silly and unusual games.
I remember a game with Upgrade and Tomb where you could Ugrade from Copper all the way through to Gold or even more. No +buy, so the best thing was to buy Copper each turn and upcycle it.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 05:52:58 pm »

I remember a game with Upgrade and Tomb where you could Ugrade from Copper all the way through to Gold or even more. No +buy, so the best thing was to buy Copper each turn and upcycle it.

That's the same reason I love it. I've had at least one awesome Procession game with it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 20 queries.