Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Favorite Events? Least favorite Events?  (Read 3619 times)

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
Favorite Events? Least favorite Events?
« on: June 03, 2018, 11:49:09 pm »
+1

And please share details as to why!

Some categories, but feel free to just take an overall approach
(quote this passage if you plan to cover all sub/categories)
0) Events overall

1) Events in Adventures
1a) ... with player tokens

2) Events in Empires
2a) ... dealing with Debt tokens
2b) ... dealing with VP tokens

3) Summon.  The only Event promo.  Yah or nay?

And please share details as to why!

Red = dislikes about it

0) Events overall

1) Events in Adventures
Alms - it's a failsafe that you'll always be able to afford a card that costs at least 4.  There are exceptions, like playing a Treasure in order to get that effect (e.g. Goat, Loan, Quarry), but it does allow things like the 4/4 split, and the 5/4 split

Traveling Fair - A way to get "genuine extra buys" on a board without any actual +Buys

Mission - Still feel crippled by not being able to buy cards, although I have found some Events as nice exceptions

1a) ... with player tokens
Pilgrimage - It's like a Tactician where you sacrifice one turn to get a later turn that can really "kick ass"
Ferry - I generally like discounts in this game

Inheritance - it's quite unique (in more ways than one), but I need to relook up interactions every time this is in use, and I've become lazy about that

2) Events in Empires
Delve - like being able to do something with only $2

Advance - Unless Necropolis is in play, I generally don't have a use to get rid of old action cards (Sea Hag was one, but it was nice there were also extra Buys

Windfall - In more games than not where this is viable, I keep forgetting about it.  Even when I don't, there's a bit of planning that should be done to ensure this does succeed.

2a) ... dealing with Debt tokens
Donate - it's Chapel's, successor :cool:

2b) ... dealing with VP tokens
Wedding - quite affordable since you don't need the full $6 to buy it (although discounts may change it against this card's favor).  If you have "the dreaded 7", you can at least get a Gold and VP out of this
Salt The Earth - nice way to push for end game sooner, emptying out Provinces, or other key Victory piles
Dominate - "super Colony"/"beyond Colony"

Slightly like this.  It's not bad at all, but I lean more towards "indifferent"
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Events? Least favorite Events?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 12:36:12 am »
+2

Slightly like this.  It's not bad at all, but I lean more towards "indifferent"

You'll just have to imagine there's a single tear slowly rolling down my cheek.

Inheritance - it's quite unique (in more ways than one), but I need to relook up interactions every time this is in use, and I've become lazy about that

I'm a little surprised at this. I feel like the number of cards that have confusing interactions with this is small. Granted, for the Adventures tokens that go on piles, it's not obvious that they don't apply to your inherited Estates. I guess that's a pretty major interaction from the same set.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 12:39:03 am by LastFootnote »

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 10:32:54 am »

I'm a little surprised at this. I feel like the number of cards that have confusing interactions with this is small.
Agreed. However, the cards that have confusing interactions with it tend to be:
  • the most powerful cards
  • the most interesting cards
  • the cards you're keenest to combine with Inheritance
...all of which mean, in my experience, questions arise more often than that would suggest.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 10:38:02 am »

My favorite event would have to be dominate. A while back, I had figured out a formula for finding the worth of each successive base victory card, including colony:
an=an-1+n for n > 1 and
an=n for n=1
Dominate fits into this formula as n=5, netting 15 vp (6 from the province and 9 from the tokens)
It also fits into the cost scheme of adding 3 to the previous victory card's cost
It also, like Colony, advances the end of the game
Overall, I just think it's a really elegant card
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 11:07:36 am »

I'm a little surprised at this. I feel like the number of cards that have confusing interactions with this is small.
...all of which mean, in my experience, questions arise more often than that would suggest.

Could you give some examples?

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 11:21:53 am »

2)
Advance

Makes Marauder and Cultist look sad. Fan card threads are full of advice not to make cards that shut down attacks for good since no one would buy an Attack so effectively the kingdom is two cards smaller and less interesting.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 12:14:35 pm »

Ambassador, Fortress, Ironworks, Treasure Map, Crown, Possession, Band of Misfits, Courtier (esp. with inherited Werewolf), Page/Peasant, Outpost, Grand Market, Crossroads, Cultist, Squire, overpay, Port ("another"), Ferry/Plan/Lost Arts/Pathfinding, Seaway, Encampment, Sacrifice, Advance

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 12:29:46 pm »

Ambassador, Fortress, Ironworks, Treasure Map, Crown, Possession, Band of Misfits, Courtier (esp. with inherited Werewolf), Page/Peasant, Outpost, Grand Market, Crossroads, Cultist, Squire, overpay, Port ("another"), Ferry/Plan/Lost Arts/Pathfinding, Seaway, Encampment, Sacrifice, Advance

I'll give you most of those, but I'm not sure how Possession comes into it. Unless you mean Procession? And uh it's pretty rare that you're inheriting stuff that costs more than $4, like Crown, Werewolf, Grand Market, Cultist, etc.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 08:06:16 pm »

The main one I dislike is Alms. I feel like being able to get a $4 no matter what just sort of breaks the fundamentals of how early-game draw luck should work, i.e. awesome turn this time = garbage turn next time. It particularly makes 5/2 splits just downright unfair.

Delve, Tax, Wedding, Raid, Conquest and Annex I'm not a big fan of, but mostly they're just disappointing and boring rather than outright irritating. Okay, I sort of take that back; Tax makes openings irritating, especially for player 1.

My favorite Event is Triumph. It's a Night Goons!

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 08:32:45 pm »
+1

Donate is too powerful and therefore too centralizing. It also makes it easier to plan in advance than any other card/event. Combined with its incredible power, this leads to excessive amounts of time spent planning at the start of the game. If I wanted to spend 20 minutes looking at the board before my first turn, I'd play Settlers of Catan!

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 09:32:17 pm »

I'll give you most of those, but I'm not sure how Possession comes into it.
(Note that I'm not saying I don't know the answers, just that these seem to be the questions that either do come up, or seem likely to.)

• Whose Inheritance applies to Estates while A possesses B?
  • Can the possessing player make the possessed buy Inheritance? ("Isn't that unfair?")
  • When the possessed player would gain an Estate, which Inherited on-gain effects apply, and to whom?
  • Are cards still yours while set aside because of the special trashing rules? e.g. does Transmuting an Estate-with-Inheritance behave differently during a possessed turn?
(OK, I've no idea what the answer is to that last one!)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 09:35:53 pm by crj »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 12:24:23 am »

As I've said before, Inheritance is my favorite card-shaped-thing in the game. So many interesting and fun interactions. (not to mention fun nicknames for Inherited Estates: Caravestate, Plazestate, Transmogrifestate, Magpestate,... I once was caught saying Wandering Menstrate before I realized what I was saying.)

Lost Arts, Dominate, and Save are probably my next favorites after Inheritance.

I don't like Salt the Earth or Tax, and I'm still undecided about whether I think Donate makes the game more or less fun.

EDIT: and Mission is great. Several different things can make it worth it besides other events: attack your opponent, advance travellers, trash faster, play cards that give VP tokens...
EDIT: Summon is also good fun.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 12:39:18 am by LibraryAdventurer »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 04:19:40 pm »
+5

2)
Advance

Makes Marauder and Cultist look sad. Fan card threads are full of advice not to make cards that shut down attacks for good since no one would buy an Attack so effectively the kingdom is two cards smaller and less interesting.

See, now this is a silly false equivalence. There's a big difference between an effect that makes all attacks bad, and one that counters some attacks. The latter (like Advance) is great, because it provides interesting interactions between cards. The former (like say a Champion that you could open with) is bad, because it would shut down all attacks too easily. Advance has utility outside of Marauder and Cultist games. And although maybe it should, the presence of Advance doesn't always keep me from buying those cards.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 10:40:52 pm »

<3 <3 salt the earth, one big problem with dominion is not enough spite
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.