Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [new player] Beat the Bot on this Kingdom  (Read 1834 times)

magnetic

• Pearl Diver
  • Shuffle iT Username: magnetik
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
[new player] Beat the Bot on this Kingdom
« on: June 02, 2018, 07:58:38 am »
+1

Hi! I'm new to Dominion. Bought the 1 ed. base set a long time ago but never played it until recently (big mistake!)

Now I'm addicted to playing tough kingdoms on dominion.games.

This is one that I haven't found a good strategy for. In fact, I haven't yet figured out how to beat the bot (in a 2 player game).

Moat, Throne Room, Moneylender, Vassal, Bandit, Witch, Bureaucrat, Gardens, Festival, Market
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 02:01:09 pm by magnetic »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: [new player] Beat the Bot on this Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 08:37:06 am »
+1

It's a bit difficult to build the engine here, because you have to have a lot of terminal Actions in your deck very early and Festival and Throne Room aren't great cards in the early game where it's not overwhelmingly likely to draw them together with the terminal Actions. But you should do it anyway, and it doesn't matter too much if you have a few dead turns, although it's super bad if you draw Moneylender and Witch in the same hand a lot. If the bot skips Witch (which it sometimes does), you will have a very easy time winning. Don't buy too many Treasures because that will make it too difficult for you to connect your Throne Rooms with your Actions, and for the same reason, don't buy Victory cards too early (it's fine if the bot is 3-4 Provinces ahead because you will catch up most of the time).

Here's an example of how to win: #15091243

Against a real player, it might not be feasible to pull off the engine here, as they will prioritize going for the Witch a lot more than the bot does.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 11:42:32 am »
+1

How many players? It is very important.
In 4-player game, I'd prefer Garden. First, open double-silver to buy Bandit. It helps you to buy some Markets. After buying 2, buy as many Gardens as possible. With Golds, you can buy Duchies easily. Leave it to your opponents to pile out Curses.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 01:55:14 pm »

This could be a very tricky multiplayer kingdom. There's probably no single best multiplayer strategy.

magnetic

• Pearl Diver
  • Shuffle iT Username: magnetik
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 02:00:39 pm »

Thanks Awaclus for the engine strategy, I didn't even know that engines could be based around Throne Room. I've played about 20 games with this strategy, but I can't get the timing right (still haven't been able to beat the bot). I open with Moneylender + Silver, and then try to get 3 Witches as soon as possible. Then I alternate buying Throne Room, Festival, and Moats whenever I can, adding one or two Silvers when I can only play 3 treasure.

The challenge was intended for a 2 player game, majiponi. Thanks for your strategy, I will try it out.

Edit: Thanks majiponi, with your strategy, I finally won some games on this kingdom! #15168860, #15175957, #15176111
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 10:34:12 pm by magnetic »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.