Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Loot Box Clicker (a new idle game, by me)  (Read 3840 times)

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
Loot Box Clicker (a new idle game, by me)
« on: May 28, 2018, 05:18:28 pm »

Howdy everyone,

I recently published a new idle/incremental game that I've been working on for a few weeks, Loot Box Clicker:

https://www.rule0.com/LBC/

The goal is to let you enjoy those endorphins you get from of opening up a chest with possible TREASURE INSIDE, without any exploitative payment system (or game, for that matter) getting in the way. There are a handful of whimsical touches. In fact pretty much everything is either incrementing numbers or whimsy.

For anyone into this kind of thing, I hope you enjoy it.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
Re: Loot Box Clicker (a new idle game, by me)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 05:52:00 am »
+1

I'm a sucker for incremental games. Once I finish the one I've got running now, I'll give this a look. Don't want too many running at once.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 10:48:48 am »
+1

Started last night. Seems like a neat concept. Several thoughts:

The scroll bar appearing and disappearing as needed makes it annoying when trying to repeatedly click "Donate". I would make the scroll bar always there even when not needed.

Is there any point to the Inventory screen? It makes much more sense to Donate stuff from the Shop screen, and to look at Hero stats from the Hero screen. Inventory seems to just show a little information from each of those pages.

The "Adventure" button on the Trainer page is confusing. I assume it does the same thing as the Adventure page on the Hero page, but because your currency isn't visible there, it looks like it doesn't do anything when clicked.

I am assuming that Art is either only for the purposes of donating for Fame, or it will be used later. It's fine if it's supposed to be a "discover what it is as you go along", but if you wanted it to be obvious right away, it isn't.

It would be nice if the Trainer upgrades shows you your actual bonus in addition to the ranks and formula. It's also not clear if the "+1%" is additive or multiplicative. If additive, then you would hit 100% eventually, which seems like it would just be at max level then.

The way certain items are colored is confusing; though maybe that's something you want the player to figure out.

It would be nice to see more calculations in general... How is Power calculated from your equipped items... how is currency type and amount per second calculated from Power... how is the level of the item you get calculated based on the type of chest.

I wish you could Donate old, bad chests. And/Or see what type of chests you already have. I have over 11,000 chests, which are mostly an older type which aren't going to give me anything good. I want to just bulk sell them off, like you can with old currency.

*Edit* A quick check shows that the Power is just all the individual powers multiplied together. That's pretty intuitive just looking at the numbers.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 11:56:55 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 10:50:06 pm »

Thanks, GendoIkari, for playing and your suggestions!

Having put in a flurry of initial improvements, my next priority is improving the layout of the home screen. I hope that resolves several of your points--the separate inventory screen, the double Hero display, etc.

I created the Advanced Avarice skill to let the player open chests faster. I didn't want to let it go too fast because the delay there helps pace the game. However, maybe I should let that skill scale significantly better for obsolete chests. FWIW, the chests go in a stack (last in, first out) so if you're plowing through 10000 bad chests and buy 5 good ones, you'll open the 5 good ones first.

The item coloration roughly corresponds to rarities popularized by Warcraft and copied many times elsewhere: green = uncommon, blue = rare, purple = epic. As the chests get better there's a little bit of inflation, so a green from one chest is typically as good as a purple from two chests down, and a purple from a gothic chest isn't as unusual as a purple from an enhanced chest.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 02:15:23 am »

Got the Chest of Completion!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 02:37:10 am »

Once you have enough training that opening a chest of completion would open a lot at once, the whole thing crashes.

Does level 15 in Avarice mean that you will automatically open all chests at once every time?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 02:38:17 am by GendoIkari »

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 07:30:52 pm »

Once you have enough training that opening a chest of completion would open a lot at once, the whole thing crashes.

Does level 15 in Avarice mean that you will automatically open all chests at once every time?

Congratulations on winning!

It seems to choke if you have a lot in your inventory at once. I confess that I stopped testing once I verified that opening the Chest of Completion works.

To slightly mitigate such issues I soft-capped Advanced Avarice to 90% chance, so you won't automatically open every chest instantly.

Puk

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Puk
  • Respect: +106
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 12:45:03 pm »

i deleted all my cookies before i got to chest of completion. i'll never know.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 07:33:58 pm »

i deleted all my cookies before i got to chest of completion. i'll never know.

FWIW I store in browser local storage, not cookies. Most browsers seem to clear them both simultaneously, so I guess it burned you, but the game doesn't phone home with the stuff you've collected or anything.

If you care to get it back, you can use import/export (or hit the local storage directly) to cheat yourself a 5000 power helm or whatever else you need to get your stuff back.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 09:50:05 pm »

Are updates coming soon?

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 07:58:28 pm »

Are updates coming soon?

Yes, but they'll be UI improvements, not content updates.

I'm not sure if I'm going to update the content, with a prestige system or whatever, or not. I could definitely add "more" but I'm not sure that would make the game any better.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 20 queries.